BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Soup Dragon
Soup Dragon
South Cotswolds, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
203 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,757 guests, and 538 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 99
Stuart 88
NickL 63
Popular Topics(Views)
436,437 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,263
Posts632,026
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#676968 - 12/08/16 7:55 pm Godspeed John Glenn  
limeyrider Offline
BritBike Forum member
limeyrider  Offline
BritBike Forum member

gastonia .. NC

Godspeed John Glenn

John Glenn ... taking his last ride through the heavens .... an American hero.

Last edited by limeyrider; 12/08/16 7:57 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#676971 - 12/08/16 8:03 pm Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: limeyrider]  
Kev. Online sick
BritBike Forum member
Kev.  Online Sick
BritBike Forum member

Royal Berkshire.
One of America's greatest.

I wonder who is big enough to fill his boots?

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1950 Vincent Comet
1952 Norton Special
1963 BSA Super Rocket
1970 BSA A65 Lightning
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado x2
2009 Triumph Bonneville (now sold)

#676981 - 12/08/16 9:21 pm Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: limeyrider]  
Rich B Online happy
Rich B  Online Happy

Stone Creek OH USA
Godspeed John Glenn....you walked the walk.

When I was mere youth, I followed your orbits of the earth. Even wrote a paper about it in school. Got an A, actually still have that paper.

A bit later in life, my step dad drug me to the local airport on a regular basis. Got to meet Harry Clever who taught John Glenn to fly.

So yea, you were one of my heroes.

Godspeed

Life is too short to drink cheap, bad beer.
#676994 - 12/09/16 12:41 am Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: Rich B]  
Kent Shaun Online content
BritBike Forum member
Kent Shaun  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Kent Garden of England
A true hero... bigt

Wonder if Mr T will have the space race running when he's in office....

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
#677008 - 12/09/16 7:51 am Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: limeyrider]  
Peter R Online content
BritBike Forum member
Peter R  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Netherlands
At the age of twelve, I was thrilled by the brave new world of space exploration, and the men who made it possible.
Another hero gone.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
#677011 - 12/09/16 9:29 am Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: limeyrider]  
JubeePrince Online content
Life member
JubeePrince  Online Content

Life member

Back on the mainland!
The last of the original Mercury astronauts. I was a one-year old when he circled the earth, but I followed the Apollo astronauts as they pressed on toward the moon...

He was a true hero in every sense of the word, humble to the end.

The Right Stuff, indeed.

#677017 - 12/09/16 10:08 am Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: limeyrider]  
BritTwit Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritTwit  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Kansas City area
What was often overlooked, was his combat experience in two wars.

After graduating from New Concord High School in 1939, he attended nearby Muskingum College. Glenn then joined the American war effort in 1942 by entering into the Naval Aviation Cadet Program. The following year, he completed his studies and was deployed as a Marine fighter pilot in the Pacific front of World War II. Glenn flew 59 combat missions in the South Pacific during this time.

After the war, Glenn continued his service in the U.S. Marine Corps. He served during the Korean War, both as a Marine fighter pilot on 63 missions and as an exchange pilot with the Air Force on 27 missions. During his military service in two wars, he flew 149 missions for which he received many honors including the Distinguished Flying Cross six times. He then enrolled in the U.S. Navy Test Pilot School in Patuxent River, Maryland, and then joined the Naval Air Test Center’s staff of flyers. In 1957, the daring pilot set a new speed record for traveling from Los Angeles to New York in a flight that was dubbed "Project Bullet." He went from coast to coast in three hours and 23 minutes.

#677042 - 12/09/16 2:48 pm Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: limeyrider]  
HawaiianTiger Online content
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
Another hero, Buzz Aldrin had this to say about his good friend.

Buzz's eulogy

I admire all these guys, especially Buzz when he clocked that moon walk denier Sibrel when he insulted him. See that here
Bill

PS Violence is never the answer, but in this case, it was a damn fine response, I must say.
B.

Last edited by HawaiianTiger; 12/09/16 4:52 pm.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
#677049 - 12/09/16 3:07 pm Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: limeyrider]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
One of the last great American Heroes, gone.

Who are today's heroes, who do kids look up to for an example of how to live life

in this world where ignorance, nastiness, ill manners, and disrespect are the primary qualities of highly publicized individuals- from professional athletes right on up to the President (elect) Of The United States?

Who are our heroes now?

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#677054 - 12/09/16 3:22 pm Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: BritTwit]  
JubeePrince Online content
Life member
JubeePrince  Online Content

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Originally Posted By BritTwit
What was often overlooked, was his combat experience in two wars.

The baseball great, Ted Willams, was his wingman.

#677055 - 12/09/16 3:27 pm Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: ricochetrider]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By ricochetrider
One of the last great American Heroes, gone.

Who are today's heroes, who do kids look up to for an example of how to live life

in this world where ignorance, nastiness, ill manners, and disrespect are the primary qualities of highly publicized individuals- from professional athletes right on up to the President (elect) Of The United States?

Who are our heroes now?

We look too often to the news, the entertainment world, and the "media" for role-models and heroes. Too often they are bigoted, disrespectful, ignorant, or dishonest people, like our current President or the one who hoped to be President, or like many sports stars or movie stars inside the rainbow-colored bubble that they've invented in which to live their lives.

The real heroes and role models for us and our kids are all around us. People who work hard, who help keep their neighborhood safe and clean, who raise their kids to respect other people, who pass their work ethic and their care for others on to their kids and friends, who volunteer where they can to help ... we don't look for these people often enough, nor do we give them credit for what they do.

We've been taught that we need some sort of super-hero to look up to. The real people to look up to, and that can help our kids to be the men and women they ought to be, are right here on our own streets and communities .....

At least that's been true for me. Only a few people know the folks I consider "great" ...

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#677062 - 12/09/16 4:04 pm Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: Lannis]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA

We look too often to the news, the entertainment world, and the "media" for role-models and heroes. Too often they are bigoted, disrespectful, ignorant, or dishonest people, like our current President or the one who hoped to be President, or like many sports stars or movie stars inside the rainbow-colored bubble that they've invented in which to live their lives.

The real heroes and role models for us and our kids are all around us. People who work hard, who help keep their neighborhood safe and clean, who raise their kids to respect other people, who pass their work ethic and their care for others, who volunteer where they can to help ... we don't look for these people often enough, nor do we give them credit for what they do.

We've been taught that we need some sort of super-hero to look up to. The real people to look up to, and that can help our kids to be the men and women they ought to be, are right here on our own streets and communities .....

At least that's been true for me. Only a few people know the folks I consider "great" ...

Lannis [/quote]

bigt I've always considered my father to be a hero for feeding and clothing me and putting a roof over my head even though I'm sure there were times he would just as soon put a size 11 boot up my arse...even when I had it coming. Glenn was a hell of a man though. Anyone who would allow themselves to be strapped on the top of a modified ballistic missile and light the fuze in the name of science is something special.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
#677081 - 12/09/16 6:25 pm Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: limeyrider]  
No Name Man Online content
Life member
No Name Man  Online Content

Life member

SE Ohio
Yep...Ted Williams called him "the bravest S.O.B. I ever met".

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
Too much moderation is bad for you.

#677094 - 12/09/16 8:10 pm Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: limeyrider]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Lannis,
that's a real nice theory.
BUT

between internet connected phones and televisions....
Nobody thinks outside their 6 inch or 80 inch world. The heroes, like it or not-
are the ones the media shove down our wide open collective consciousness. It's been that way for decades and it'll be the same way for ever going forward.

What's really telling is that the trashier the subject matter, the higher the ratings.
So go tell your hardworking trash tv & fake news loving neighbors (and their kids, the really vulnerable ones) to quit their Facebook accounts and kill their TVs.
Let me know how that works out for ya.

I can almost guarantee that if you walked into any school in the USA tomorrow and told all the children John Glenn died you'd be met with blank faces, devoid of recognition for this guy us older folks know as a hero.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 12/09/16 8:11 pm.

#677097 - 12/09/16 9:09 pm Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: ricochetrider]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Lannis,
that's a real nice theory.
BUT

No buts.

A wise man reminds us every day that "It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

I do believe that, so, in our family, we do NOT listen to the lying media (the ones who, in the runup to November 8th, demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are nothing but lying shills for the progs), our family does NOT use "Facebook" to stay in touch (we do it the old fashioned way), my children have always been able to tell you exactly who John Glenn was and what he did, and my grandchildren will soon be able to. And none of us have TV reception.

You can't just give up and do what everyone else does simply because most of society seems to be turning into a bunch of whining, entitled, technology-dependent crybabies who get Participation Trophies and have never lost a game of anything in their lives. We see the results of that in the current "protest" demonstrations (incidentally, the very tantrums and infantile wailing that tell me that we voted the right way this time).

You have to set an example. You have to sometimes be the person that people laugh at or pity because you're not fighting in the door of WalMart for the latest deal, or you don't know who some Kardashian is currently humping per the water-cooler discussion because you didn't watch "Who's Doing Who" on HBO or whatever.

It's not always easy. No "media hero" is my hero, or my descendants'; nobody shoves that stuff down my throat. The people that live that way and believe that way can go to perdition by their own path.

And they can't force it on me or mine. We have lots of ways of ... preventing that.

All that being said, IN THIS PART OF THE COUNTRY, we still have a happy, active social life, lots of friends, lots of things to do, without worrying about the politics or social cancers that you always see "on the news". I hope it will be that way for a long time to come. But if not, it's been a good ride for a long time, a better ride than most people in the world's history have gotten, and I appreciate it.

Lannis

#677121 - 12/10/16 5:08 am Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: Lannis]  
Triless Online content
BritBike Forum member
Triless  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

OZ
Bloody hell, Lannis, you cut to the bone !
But I am with you.
The likes of John Glenn, and his ilk,will probably never walk this way again !
Here we have promiscuous sports people, and two bob lair horse stealing cop killers lauded as " heros ", yet few, and even fewer care, about ordinary people who did extraodinary things, like " Driver " ( actually his rank ) Doolan, or AB Teddy Sheean !

#677132 - 12/10/16 7:58 am Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: limeyrider]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Lannis, you're preaching to the choir my friend.

I know were on the same page but sadly that is not the prevailing reality nationwide, and I know you know it. Do YOU know anyone who doesn't have a TV blaring 24/7? Even if it's just "background noise" it's still striking the vulnerable subconsciousness, hell that's probably even worse. Certainly just as bad as getting it full-on.

Swing down to the schoolyard and ask the kids who their heroes are. From entertainers to sports figures to politicians...
the landscape is bleak.

The best thing we can do, as you've stated, is to provide that solid example for the kids we know, esp while they're young, in the hopes that it will stick and they'll become great & responsible people as adults with all the ethics in place. I make my best effort to be "that guy" and walk the talk... I know I'm doing my part as you are doing yours.

#677144 - 12/10/16 9:54 am Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: limeyrider]  
reverb Online content
BritBike Forum member
reverb  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

South cone
...hello Lannis, you are describing the way a contemporary society should be, and possible be in certain parts of USA (and many countries) but the PERCEPTION of the people outside your country comes from the other "world", the media world; so most believe another thing of what USA is; hence in most countries the people hate USA (the Empire), same with Brazilians, Argentinians and Germans. Of course that s wrong and stupid generalization based on that parallel media world (due to the TV and now internet).

-most times is very difficult for me to play the role of and advocate to try to explain that there s another world as you mention in USA, or in many places around the Globe.

#677167 - 12/10/16 1:03 pm Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: ricochetrider]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia

The best thing we can do, as you've stated, is to provide that solid example for the kids we know, esp while they're young, in the hopes that it will stick and they'll become great & responsible people as adults with all the ethics in place. I make my best effort to be "that guy" and walk the talk... I know I'm doing my part as you are doing yours.

That's all I'm sayin', and it's all we can do. I can't tell other people what to believe, I can only tell them what I believe .... and try to live consistently with that so they can see that I'm not B.S.ing them.

You yourself have a special gift for making friends right off the bat with strangers anywhere, any time, something I can do a little bit of, but not like you. I hope you keep on parlaying that ability into doing YOUR part (as you say) ... let's not give up no matter how bad it looks like it's getting ...

Lannis

#677171 - 12/10/16 1:10 pm Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: reverb]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By reverb
...hello Lannis, you are describing the way a contemporary society should be, and possible be in certain parts of USA (and many countries) but the PERCEPTION of the people outside your country comes from the other "world", the media world; so most believe another thing of what USA is; hence in most countries the people hate USA (the Empire), same with Brazilians, Argentinians and Germans. Of course that s wrong and stupid generalization based on that parallel media world (due to the TV and now internet).

-most times is very difficult for me to play the role of and advocate to try to explain that there s another world as you mention in USA, or in many places around the Globe.

Keep on trying! When I was younger, up to the age of 45 or so, I believed the conventional and traditional knowledge that Americans were just provincial "cowboys", stomping around the world in their boots, asking "Where's the McDonald's?" in the medieval part of Salzburg, etc. And that Europeans were worldly, jaded sophisticates that knew things that I didn't know about the world.

Now that I've been to other places in the world, and especially since I've lived and worked extensively WITH Europeans and Asians, I find that Europeans and Asians are just as ignorant about the rest of the world, and as bigoted and prejudiced about other people, as they claim that Americans are. The "ugly American" tourista with his Hawaiian flowerdy shirt and camera has NOTHING on "Billy Brit Abroad" or a Korean or Chinese when it comes to disrespect for local custom and crassness while travelling.

I don't know if that's comforting or not, to know that others have the exact same ignorance problem that we do, but it's certainly enlightening ..... !

Lannis

#677179 - 12/10/16 1:30 pm Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: limeyrider]  
reverb Online content
BritBike Forum member
reverb  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

South cone
...the problem, at least for me, starts when you live in a place that you do not want to live due to most people are like that or worst and I saw and see other realities mostly in other parts but I do not have the legal opportunity to live (for more than 3 months)in these places. All came downhill since the NY twin towers regarding people movements.

#677183 - 12/10/16 1:41 pm Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: Lannis]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Originally Posted By Lannis
Originally Posted By reverb

Keep on trying! When I was younger, up to the age of 45 or so, I believed the conventional and traditional knowledge that Americans were just provincial "cowboys", stomping around the world in their boots, asking "Where's the McDonald's?" in the medieval part of Salzburg, etc. And that Europeans were worldly, jaded sophisticates that knew things that I didn't know about the world.

Now that I've been to other places in the world, and especially since I've lived and worked extensively WITH Europeans and Asians, I find that Europeans and Asians are just as ignorant about the rest of the world, and as bigoted and prejudiced about other people, as they claim that Americans are. The "ugly American" tourista with his Hawaiian flowerdy shirt and camera has NOTHING on "Billy Brit Abroad" or a Korean or Chinese when it comes to disrespect for local custom and crassness while travelling.

I don't know if that's comforting or not, to know that others have the exact same ignorance problem that we do, but it's certainly enlightening ..... !

Lannis

Well what I have learned thru traveling all my life- and also thru reading of other peoples' travels is this:

Down deep (but not very deep) almost all folks are pretty much the same, world wide. This carries across all cultures, religions, races, social classes, or any other construct we may use to separate ourselves from others.

The difference, I firmly believe, lies in how much self respect folks either are taught or how much they allow themselves. All things begin within, therefore one who cannot respect him or herself cannot respect others. One who does not have love of self cannot love anything or any one else.

Having said that, even those who lack self respect light up if shown some. Any "barrier" can be breached if you believe it doesn't exist or refuse to acknowledge it.

Love is the thing that binds all living things together, the single tool one needs to exist in this world of strange things, odd places, and different folks.

These things I absolutely know beyond doubt.

#677185 - 12/10/16 1:47 pm Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: JubeePrince]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By JubeePrince
The last of the original Mercury astronauts. I was a one-year old when he circled the earth, but I followed the Apollo astronauts as they pressed on toward the moon...

He was a true hero in every sense of the word, humble to the end.

The Right Stuff, indeed.

In the natural course of things, soon they will all be gone: the last participants in the human race’s most astonishing, most audacious, most wonderfully inspirational adventure ever.

I was eight years old at the time. My father served on the carrier USS Randolph that picked up Gus Grissom on his suborbital flight just before Glenn's, as well as recovering John Glenn, so I was ALWAYS interested, and glued to the TV when it was going on ....

But they're just about gone, and gone with them will be the memory of a U.S.A. that could accomplish such marvels, in those last years of heroic national vigor, before we turned our energies to guilt and rancor and divisive social crusades, and to persuading ourselves and each other that in the human sphere, everything is equal to everything else.

The Wright brothers’ first flight was in 1903. Fifty-nine years later, the Russian Yuri Gagarin and later the American John Glenn became the first men to orbit the earth, and seven years after that Buzz Aldrin became the first man to play “Fly Me To The Moon” on the moon (thanks to the portable cassette recorder he took with him).

Another half-century on, and what have we done?

Our heroes are old and stooped now, but they are the only giants we have. Today, when we talk about Americans boldly going where no man has gone before, we mean men using the ladies’ bathroom.

Yeah boy, that's progress. I hope we have more John Glenns on the way, somewhere, somehow .....

Lannis

#677188 - 12/10/16 3:05 pm Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: limeyrider]  
HawaiianTiger Online content
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
I think it's in pretty poor taste to co-opt this thread dedicated to respecting a fallen hero to jump on the soapbox and spout a bunch of political hogwash.
Quit yer bitchin and man up.

B.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
#677191 - 12/10/16 3:43 pm Re: Godspeed John Glenn [Re: HawaiianTiger]  
limeyrider Offline
BritBike Forum member
limeyrider  Offline
BritBike Forum member

gastonia .. NC
Hawaiin Tiger .. I have to take issue with your posting,Lannis not only paid homage to the great hero,but also spotlighted the current lack of national pride, " Heroes" now are overpaid, posturing athletes and Hollywood actors.
This is a "Pub" forum, not unusual in a Pub setting to have such discussions ... we start out with one topic and, through lively contribution it morphs into something else.
I doubt that John Glenn would have a problem with a free American speaking his mind.

Quit yer bitchin.

James.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.223s Queries: 16 (0.007s) Memory: 1.0110 MB (Peak: 1.3812 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 13:37:03 UTC