BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
cjhols
cjhols
Bendigo, Australia
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
206 registered members (2slow), 1,486 guests, and 563 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Joe Abramo, YukoNorton, Konstantinos, mydnightrider, Mike hulley
9988 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 151
Lannis 115
Stuart 111
koan58 94
Popular Topics(Views)
453,815 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,464
Posts631,846
Members9,988
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#473417 - 01/21/13 1:07 am Subscription  
Trevor Rayment Offline
One time poster
Trevor Rayment  Offline
One time poster

Isle of Wight UK
Hi
I was just signing up to a year's membership subscription, but cancelled when I saw that PayPal would be permitted to draw on my account for subsequent years. Any way of doing it one year at a time? When I buy something on eBay I don't give them carte blanche to come back for more!
Regards
Trevor

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#473511 - 01/21/13 4:35 pm Re: Subscription [Re: Trevor Rayment]  
Deadstiffcatt Offline
BritBike Forum member
Deadstiffcatt  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nor. California
I do agree with Trevor, I'd like to subscribe but want the choice of manually making a fresh payment each year. Is this an issue that can be addressed, one that would permit us to not have a recurring payment program but allow for a single payment?

I refuse to sign up for anything online that involves recurring payments, from electric bills to mortgages to even a group subscription fee. Joe

#480065 - 03/06/13 1:22 am Re: Subscription [Re: Deadstiffcatt]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Originally Posted By: Deadstiffcatt
I do agree with Trevor, I'd like to subscribe but want the choice of manually making a fresh payment each year. Is this an issue that can be addressed, one that would permit us to not have a recurring payment program but allow for a single payment?

I refuse to sign up for anything online that involves recurring payments, from electric bills to mortgages to even a group subscription fee. Joe

I have to agree with Trevor and Mr. Catt on this. Is there a way to help out with a subscription when we want to without authorizing repetitive payments? I for one am due to re-up.

Maybe though, there is a mis-understanding. Say I make a PayPal payment. A year goes by and I get a bill for another payment. Is that payment automatically charged to my PayPal account, or do I have the option at that time to pay/refuse?

Ray

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
#592300 - 03/28/15 1:35 pm Re: Subscription [Re: Trevor Rayment]  
Morgan aka Admin Online happy
Ride safe today!
Morgan aka Admin  Online Happy

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Hi

The recurring membership works as follows:
It is for one year at the time!
when you subscribe to the annual Premium membership then after one year you will receive an email with a link so that you can re-subscribe for another period.
Paypal does NOT draw any money from your account unless you order it to, it can't. You pay only after you click on the link which takes you to the Paypal page where you can make your choice by Paypal or card.
If you don't make this payment then PayPal will try to contact you a couple times and if you don't re-subscribe then we will get a notification that the premium membership has been cancelled. Your status as premium member goes back to free membership level.

If you resubscribe then I will get a message that the premium membership has renewed for yet another year and I get a smile on my face and hopefully the member gets a smile too..

Last edited by Morgan aka Admin; 03/28/15 1:37 pm.

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
#593022 - 04/01/15 5:26 pm Re: Subscription [Re: Trevor Rayment]  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
FYI there is NO recurring subscriptions with new memberships from April 1st 2015 and its not a Aprils fools day joke. Its for real. Old memberships are still recurring and if they wish to change that then you need to PM me.

Last edited by Morgan aka Admin; 03/28/16 12:11 pm.

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
#646113 - 03/28/16 10:32 am Re: Subscription [Re: Trevor Rayment]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Originally Posted By Morgan aka Admin
Hi

The recurring membership works as follows:
It is for one year at the time!
when you subscribe to the annual Premium membership then after one year you will receive an email with a link so that you can re-subscribe for another period.
Paypal does NOT draw any money from your account unless you order it to, it can't. You pay only after you click on the link which takes you to the Paypal page where you can make your choice by Paypal or card.
If you don't make this payment then PayPal will try to contact you a couple times and if you don't re-subscribe then we will get a notification that the premium membership has been cancelled. Your status as premium member goes back to free membership level.

If you resubscribe then I will get a message that the premium membership has renewed for yet another year and I get a smile on my face and hopefully the member gets a smile too..

I read this a year ago, and had my doubts. I tried it anyway. Turns out I was right to have doubts. None of the first paragraph above is accurate or correct. Here is how recurring membership actually works:

Once each year, on the anniversary of when you first subscribed, you will get a PM from BritBike Forum that says, "Your subscription payment for the 'Premium Membership' Subscription Group has been received."

PayPal DOES draw money from your account because your authorized it to do so -- it can.

You will not get a link to click to take you to the PayPal page where you can make a choice. You will have already paid, and your first (only) notice will be the PM from BritBike forum.

This depends upon how your notification preferences are set on PayPal. This is from their page:
  • "Notification Preferences: Right now, we don't send you an email every time you make a payment for this subscription. To change your Notifications preferences, log in to your PayPal account, go to your Profile, and click My settings."
You can, of course, stop the subscription if you wish. Again from the PayPal page:
  • "If you would like to cancel this subscription, log in to your PayPal account and go to the "History" subtab of the "My Account" tab. Choose "Subscriptions" from the pull-down "Show" menu and press the "Submit" button. Choose this subscription, and click on its "Details" link. You will be taken to a Transaction Details page from which you may cancel your subscription. Cancelling your subscription will immediately stop all future scheduled payments for this subscription."
In fairness to Morgan, he made the following post, which I must have ignored or misunderstood a year ago:

Originally Posted By Morgan aka Admin
FYI there is NO recurring subscriptions with new memberships from now on today is April 1st 2015 and its not a Aprils fools day joke. Its for real. Old memberships are still recurring and if they wish to change that then you need to PM me.

Bottom line:

If you don't like payments that dip into your account without your review for each occurrence, then a recurring subscription is not for you. If you like the convenience of that hands-off method, then go for it.

Ray

Edit: To clarify
  • I DON'T have a problem making a donation once a year to this site.
  • I am NOT accusing Morgan of any wrong activity.
  • I DO have a problem with automatic charges placed against my PayPal account
  • The instructions on the PayPal invoice, excerpts of which I posted above, are incorrect. They only apply if one has a business PayPal account.
  • For personal PayPal accounts, it is not possible for the user to change settings on the PayPal web site. You must call their help desk ask for technical support and tell them what you want to do. I learned this from two lengthy phone conversations with PayPal techs. They were as surprised as I was to discover that their page looks different to end users than is described on their e-mail invoices!!??
  • Almost as soon as I posted this today, Morgan read it, cancelled the automatic subscription, and removedd the charge from my account.

So, in a public note to Morgan, how does one donate to support the forum without a yearly recurring PayPal fee? I am probably not the only one who is confused.

I actually would like to keep the premium membership.

Ray

#646131 - 03/28/16 12:05 pm Re: Subscription [Re: Trevor Rayment]  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Ray: At the time when I wrote the answer I had info which turned out to be wrong, I then deleted the recurring membership payments option for NEW accounts.
Some actually didnít like that either (hard to please everyone) as they prefered the easiness to pay silent ea year with a fixed rate.
Now they have to resubscribe by them selves ea year.
Anyway old accounts are renewed ea year and you had such account.
I have now cancelled your premium membership which you started 03/28/15 3:21 pm prior to the new non recurring membership and refunded your latest payment.
You are now a basic member with basic privileges.
I noticed that you wish to stay on as a premium member in order to become that you need to reregister.
If you reregister your new account will last for one year and you need to renew it by your self in order to stay on as member.
Oh, with your earlier recurring membership you paid a fixed fee of $12.90 ea year. with your new non recurring membership you might face a price change in the future. Its like the sock market it might go up or down we just don't know wink

Cheers
Morgan

Last edited by Morgan aka Admin; 03/28/16 12:08 pm.
#646142 - 03/28/16 2:03 pm Re: Subscription [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Thanks, Morgan.

I understand that you will never please everyone at the same time. I hope nobody is angry with me because you eliminated the recurring membership on PayPal. I think you could offer the option of automatic renewal for those who want it, and the once a year manual renewal for the rest of us.

In any case, I went ahead and renewed, but on a non-recurring basis.

Ray

#674544 - 11/15/16 3:22 pm Re: Subscription [Re: Trevor Rayment]  
Mike Muir Offline
Life member
Mike Muir  Offline

Life member

somewhere in the UK
When I chose to be a subscriber, I read the rules and understood that it was an automatic renewal, cancellable at any time. This suited me just fine, but I do understand that others may have a problem. I like being here and being able to post pictures with dealing with a third party (photobucket etc.), and appreciate the effort and cost that Morgan has to worry about.
Different strokes for different folks.

Mike, home is where we moor it.
#674558 - 11/15/16 6:08 pm Re: Subscription [Re: Mike Muir]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
I agree, Mike, and I thoroughly enjoy your picture posts. I carry Morgan's Britbike decal on my rear license plate holder on my Triumph. That's because I like the way it looks, and because I could never have gotten the bike running without this forum.

That said, I still want to make each credit card charge or bank check as my own concious decision. I appreciate that Morgan set it up to accomodate that.

Ray

Moderated by  Barb 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.685s Queries: 15 (0.104s) Memory: 0.8747 MB (Peak: 1.0746 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-12-16 01:15:47 UTC