BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
kboyd
kboyd
Kansas
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
210 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,644 guests, and 564 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 193
koan58 99
Stuart 83
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
438,871 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,289
Posts632,443
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#673057 - 11/01/16 8:05 am BB34 piston  
resingled Online content
BritBike Forum member
resingled  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Lancashire. England.
Hi there everyone. I have a BB34(not GS) with a standard piston BSA part number 65-1265. To try to cure a smoky engine I was going to have the barrel rebored but was advised that it only needed honing. I had this done and the bore does now look good. I don't want to put the old piston back in the nice smooth bore but a replacement appears to be unobtainable. Chris at Autocycle Engineering has done a search for me but drawn a blank. Any suggestions or help will be most welcome. Regards. Dave.

BSA Gold Star eBay items

BSA Gold Star forum This board is dedicated to BSA Gold Star motorcycles.

#673065 - 11/01/16 9:56 am Re: BB34 piston [Re: resingled]  
limeyrider Offline
BritBike Forum member
limeyrider  Offline
BritBike Forum member

gastonia .. NC
What is wrong with the " old " piston ?.... new rings and a newly honed cylinder should go well together, am I missing something ??.

Good luck

James.

#673082 - 11/01/16 12:05 pm Re: BB34 piston [Re: resingled]  
Boomer Online content
BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
Were the barrel and piston measured for clearance? Were the ring lands on the piston checked against new rings for clearance? If you are within tolerances it would probably be fine to use the old piston with new rings.

Bill B...

Boomer
#673151 - 11/01/16 11:52 pm Re: BB34 piston [Re: resingled]  
Kerry W Online content
BritBike Forum member
Kerry W  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Middle East,
If the piston is not in a poor state and not cracked, but is just a touch undersize, make it 'bigger' with a coating by HPC.

Here's a link to a USA provider (where the parent company lives, I'm sure, though I have used it outside the USA):

http://hpcutah.com/coatings/the-top-5-benefits-of-a-piston-coating/

The coating is slippery and anti-seizure. HPC promote it for other reasons the required here (increase the size of the piston) and they also do a ceramic top coating (also able to be used on combustion chambers and valve heads) for minimising heat transfer). We've used it many times (usually just the side coating) on racing 2 strokes where controlling bore clearance to very tight tolerance is essential. The ceramic top's benefits are arguable both ways in a two stroke - I have used it but no longer bother.

On a 64mm 2 stroke piston we get somewhere between 1 and 2 thou increase in size. As the above website suggests, there can be up to 0.003" increase in diameter (or reduction in bore clearance).

It's cheap (by comparison with new pistons) and is available (unlike some pistons). We have used it on used pistons - the ring lands are masked off and the skirt blasted (not sure what with) to clean it and then the coating sprayed on and baked. The coating has a very fine
'stopped' effect that slowly flattens off a little (more visual and dimensional).

No generalisation is wholly true, not even this one.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
#673170 - 11/02/16 7:09 am Re: BB34 piston [Re: resingled]  
resingled Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Lancashire. England.
Thanks for your replies. The "old" piston has a few scratches and in the past has appeared to have "caught" on the barrel. the barrel was also marked but the honing has resolved this so the damage was slight. I have some new original Hepolite rings for the piston but don't feel comfortable putting a lightly scratched piston in a nice smooth bore.
Regards. Dave.

#673189 - 11/02/16 10:51 am Re: BB34 piston [Re: resingled]  
John Alexander Offline
BritBike Forum member
John Alexander  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent, England
Should not make much difference, it's the rings which have the main contact with the bore, so a slightly scratched piston should be ok to use again.
Goldie John.

#673195 - 11/02/16 11:04 am Re: BB34 piston [Re: resingled]  
Magnetoman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted By resingled
don't feel comfortable putting a lightly scratched piston in a nice smooth bore.
The iron/steel of the cylinder liner is many times harder than the cast Al of the piston so there's no chance the piston will deface the bore. Also, scratches typically are into a material leaving little or no raised area at the edges. Even if the piston were made of a much harder material than Al it only would be the areas raised above the surface of the piston, not the "grooves" of the scratches, that would be of concern.

Originally Posted By Boomer
Were the barrel and piston measured for clearance?
This is the essential point. A new, perfectly smooth piston that has the wrong clearance would be very much worse than an old scratched piston that was the correct size for your current cylinder. It is because of small variations in size that machine shops bore and hone cylinders to the diameter of pistons supplied to them with the cylinders. They don't bore to whatever nominal size the pistons are listed as having.

#673212 - 11/02/16 3:34 pm Re: BB34 piston [Re: resingled]  
Jerry Roy Online content
BritBike Forum member
Jerry Roy  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Denver CO
Of greater importance on the piston is the ring side clearance. That is the clearance between the ring and the land face.
To much and the rings can "flutter", which can cause ring breakage, which then scores the bore and destroys the piston at the least, and maybe gets pieces down into the internal workings, which can cause worse damage.
The BMS book cites 1 to 1.5 thousandths max clearance as acceptable, any more requires a new piston. A feeler gauge should go all the way in between the ring and land, with no appreciable widening of the gap out at the outer edge of the land. Taper in the groove is as bad as to much clearance. (worse, in my experience).

JR

#673225 - 11/02/16 5:01 pm Re: BB34 piston [Re: resingled]  
resingled Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Lancashire. England.
Thank you all for your replies. I feel better about putting back the old piston with new rings.I'll certainly check the ring clearance though. thanks for the information Jerry.

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.338s Queries: 15 (0.075s) Memory: 0.8465 MB (Peak: 1.0394 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 13:08:14 UTC