BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
DoubleDiamond
DoubleDiamond
Hampshire, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
211 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,775 guests, and 547 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 183
koan58 99
Stuart 88
NickL 63
Popular Topics(Views)
436,552 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,264
Posts632,045
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#662765 - 08/03/16 2:33 pm Testing Norton Commando MKIII headlight switches  
Dnaj11 Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dnaj11  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Penna
I've got a 75 Norton MKIII which had a leaking master cylinder. I've rebuilt the master cylinder but had to take apart and clean the switches on that side which had become contaminated with brake fluid and crud. I took care not to loose the flat tabs and springs inside the plastic switches and believe I did put it together correctly. Unfortunately, I did not test to see if they worked before I started this and the bike has not been run in years. Is there a way to test the switch for the headlight. I'm not sure which wire should have voltage in the various switch positions. I'd like to rule out all other possibilities before taking the small switches apart again. They are not fun to get together with old fingers like mine. Thank you.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#662767 - 08/03/16 2:52 pm Re: Testing Norton Commando MKIII headlight switches [Re: Dnaj11]  
L.A.B. Online content
BritBike Forum member
L.A.B.  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Norfolk, UK
Originally Posted By Dnaj11
Unfortunately, I did not test to see if they worked before I started this and the bike has not been run in years. Is there a way to test the switch for the headlight. I'm not sure which wire should have voltage in the various switch positions.

There are only two positions for the Mk3 headlamp selector switch, HEAD and PILOT.

With the sliding switch set at the HEAD position, there should be continuity between the blue [U] and the blue/yellow [UY] wires of the switch cluster.

At PILOT, the switch should be 'open'.

If checking by voltage, the blue should show volts with the switch at HEAD, and 0.V at PILOT.

#662771 - 08/03/16 4:03 pm Re: Testing Norton Commando MKIII headlight switches [Re: L.A.B.]  
Dnaj11 Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dnaj11  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Penna
Thank you. My ohm readings between the blue and blue and yellow correspond, but I have no lights whatsoever, and no tail light either. Is there something else common to both? Does the run/kill switch have any bearing? I do not have an owners manual for this bike. Thanks

Last edited by Dnaj11; 08/03/16 4:07 pm.
#662774 - 08/03/16 4:20 pm Re: Testing Norton Commando MKIII headlight switches [Re: Dnaj11]  
L.A.B. Online content
BritBike Forum member
L.A.B.  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Norfolk, UK
My ohm readings between the blue and blue and yellow correspond, but I have no lights whatsoever, and no tail light either. Is there something else common to both?

The feed to headlamp switch (blue/yellow) comes from the master/ignition switch terminal 4.

All other lights (pilot, tail, instruments) are fed from master switch terminal 3 (brown/green) so I suggest you check the wiring back to the master switch and also check you have power reaching the switch from the battery (brown/blue, terminal 1).

Does the run/kill switch have any bearing?

No.

I do not have an owners manual for this bike.

Mk3 manual:
http://britmoto.com/manuals/Manuals/850_man.pdf
Wiring diagram, Section J.

Last edited by L.A.B.; 08/03/16 4:41 pm.
#662803 - 08/03/16 7:40 pm Re: Testing Norton Commando MKIII headlight switches [Re: L.A.B.]  
Dnaj11 Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dnaj11  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Penna
Thank you. Looks like the switch is flakey. Other than that, I think its ready to start!

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.419s Queries: 15 (0.024s) Memory: 0.8185 MB (Peak: 0.9763 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 17:17:27 UTC