BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Marvin E. Woody
Marvin E. Woody
Far Northwest Washington
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
16 registered members (Boomer), 180 guests, and 396 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Tim Pedder, blayde54, Davenz13, Sean65, Rerock
10478 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 92
franko 78
Triless 71
Popular Topics(Views)
748,909 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,852
Posts670,678
Members10,478
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New tax evaluation formula in NC #653892
05/23/16 11:50 am
05/23/16 11:50 am
Winston-Salem N.C.
D
D.W.R. Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D.W.R.  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D

Winston-Salem N.C.
Everybody in NC, bend over and grab your ankles. The taxable value on my '71 A75 just increased 600% over last year! They want over twice the taxes that I just paid on my recently acquired '96 Trident! This is following the 400% increase in the cost of registering my 14' fishing boat (they look at it the same as a 26' party barge). Keep this in mind the next time you want to vote for the clown who promises to (an does) lower your state income taxes, they're gonna get it somewhere else!
Don R.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: D.W.R.] #653914
05/23/16 2:51 pm
05/23/16 2:51 pm
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
No comment.

(but if I DID comment, it wouldn't be complimentary)

It's not just NC, MANY / most governments are simply cranking up the taxes to keep up with raises they keep giving themselves, and new spending ideas they keep coming up with. After all, money is free.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: GrandPaul] #653926
05/23/16 4:34 pm
05/23/16 4:34 pm
Pacific northwest
Q
quinten Offline
BritBike Forum member
quinten  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Q

Pacific northwest

think of all the public roads , paved , from coast to coast .
Each one has paid , through taxes ,
for a insignificant portion .

Yet collectively , each one of us
is free
to use all of them .

Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: D.W.R.] #653933
05/23/16 5:05 pm
05/23/16 5:05 pm
Winston-Salem N.C.
D
D.W.R. Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D.W.R.  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D

Winston-Salem N.C.
Quinten, good point and I agree, except not one dime of this tax increase goes to those roads. Don't get me started on the condition of said roads in NC! smile
Don

Last edited by D.W.R.; 05/23/16 5:11 pm.
Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: quinten] #653935
05/23/16 5:14 pm
05/23/16 5:14 pm
gastonia nc
R
raf940 Offline
BritBike Forum member
raf940  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

gastonia nc
I went through this....in NC the counties levy property tax values and add the state adds thetax onto your tag renewal fee....the value of my $300 harbor freight trailer was set at $1,500 my 68 mgb was set at $5k! ..I called the tax ass-sessor he said they use the NADA 'excellent' classification value...I was told that it's possible to challenge the values but you might have to either take the vee-hickle to the tax officer so they can see or email a pic...I got both mine reduced...
alan in Belmont

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1972 BSA Thunderbolt
1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando
Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: D.W.R.] #653938
05/23/16 5:22 pm
05/23/16 5:22 pm
Earth
R
rick e. Offline
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

Earth
I've been to some places that there are little to no taxes and almost anything goes. I like taxes....

"Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: D.W.R.] #653942
05/23/16 5:33 pm
05/23/16 5:33 pm
Pennsyltuckey
ricochetrider Online content

Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Taxes- the bane of the first world.
IF only we could choose how our tax dollars are spent.
But we cannot.
_ _ _ _ it.

Meanwhile up here in Pennsyltuckey.... I think it was up'ards of 40 bucks per bike this year for registration, and darn near 60 per four wheeled vehicle. Bought me a one-time-fee, "classic" registration for one of my bikes this year. Never expires. 75.00 for the generic one, coulda made up my own for another hundy.

Taxes- one of two absolute certainties in life.

Born Free
Taxed to Death
Whatcha gonna do.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: D.W.R.] #653950
05/23/16 6:03 pm
05/23/16 6:03 pm
Orygone
Boomer Online content

BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
I'm on the Rural Fire Budget Committee for Newberg and at our last meeting we were informed that the city has signed a contract for a regional Fire Department to take over for two years and then we will vote on a proposal to be annexed into their area. The city is contracted by Rural Fire to cover the rural area. If we accept our fire assessment will triple, from about $120 a year to around $400. The good news is they plan to build a new fire station about 1/2 mile from our house, I'm now about 5 miles from the nearest station, and that should lower my homeowners insurance several hundred.

What one has to understand is that services do not come for free and with the police, fire, road crews, maintenance crews, their wages like any other workers are impacted by inflation and therefore costs keep going up and always will.

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: D.W.R.] #654097
05/24/16 4:08 pm
05/24/16 4:08 pm
Seattle
Alex Offline

BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
No, nothing comes for free, but the move from progressive (income based) taxes to more regressive taxes and fees is not only bothersome but horribly inefficient and wasteful because the administration required to collect and enforce these nickel-and-dime fees and taxes often takes more than half of the income they provide. On top of that, it is yet another thing you have to manage and monitor which costs you (or me) time and money.

I realize this is getting dangerously close to political territory, so I'll just shut up now.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: Alex] #654098
05/24/16 4:28 pm
05/24/16 4:28 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Well'ard Rocker
Lannis  Offline

Well'ard Rocker

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by Alex
No, nothing comes for free, but the move from progressive (income based) taxes to more regressive taxes and fees is not only bothersome but horribly inefficient and wasteful because the administration required to collect and enforce these nickel-and-dime fees and taxes often takes more than half of the income they provide. On top of that, it is yet another thing you have to manage and monitor which costs you (or me) time and money.

I realize this is getting dangerously close to political territory, so I'll just shut up now.

And the bad part is that BOTH political parties are playing the tax-raising game. Taxes go up no matter who is in charge.

Paying taxes for services is fine, but paying taxes to fund an ever-more-bloated bureaucracy is not. Has anyone noticed that the sprawl from Washington DC goes out about 50 miles in every direction now? No industry there except what your taxes pay for.

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: D.W.R.] #654100
05/24/16 4:29 pm
05/24/16 4:29 pm
Hailey,Id.
B
bsawood Offline

BritBike Forum member
bsawood  Offline

BritBike Forum member
B

Hailey,Id.
If I put in my 2 cents worth, I would get in deep [***].

Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: D.W.R.] #654111
05/24/16 5:59 pm
05/24/16 5:59 pm
Earth
R
rick e. Offline
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

Earth
Had a good friend tell me he just wrote a check for $250,000 to pay his Federal Taxes. I asked him how he felt about that? He said "AWESOME". I asked him why. He told me that means he made money, good money.
He said he would gladly write a large check for taxes any day of the week.

So I ask you-all, still hate Taxes?

Waste? Look at the pie chart of total spending and tell me what you want gone and then tell me the percentage of savings. Don't worry, its just math, not politics.

----THE CLASH-----

Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: rick e.] #654123
05/24/16 6:48 pm
05/24/16 6:48 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Well'ard Rocker
Lannis  Offline

Well'ard Rocker

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by rick e.

I asked him how he felt about that? He said "AWESOME". I asked him why. He told me that means he made money, good money.
He said he would gladly write a large check for taxes any day of the week.

So I ask you-all, still hate Taxes?

It's easy to enjoy paying taxes when you make millions of dollars PER YEAR. Your buddy wouldn't even know where to spend the extra $125,000 in his pocket if his taxes were halved.

I don't make that kind of money, and I DO know where I would spend it if I weren't paying it out, so I still hate taxes. I can see with my own eyes the waste and stupidity of the DHS, the TSA, the IRS, HUD, HEW, and all the other alphabet soup agencies that high-paid bureaucrats "manage" for me.

My local property taxes have DOUBLED in the last 15 years, with no change or improvement in the services I'm provided. I can SEE the people lazing about in the county offices, doing less work in 8 hours than I used to do in 30 minutes working for a company that had to make money. That's what makes it hard.

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: D.W.R.] #654196
05/25/16 11:41 am
05/25/16 11:41 am
Winston-Salem N.C.
D
D.W.R. Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D.W.R.  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D

Winston-Salem N.C.
The main problem with the numbers they are using is that they assume your bike or car is a category one "concours" show machine and levy taxes accordingly. You only learn of this when you receive your renewal form for your tag registration, you don't have time for a reassessment before your tag expires so you must pay the fee and then appeal the levy. After that they "might" refund you some money. As most of us know the 'Classic price guides" have absolutely nothing to do with the real world value of 90% of the machines we here own. Those are the prices (real or imagined) that collectors like to assign to their trailer queens. It's fantasy!
Don

Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: D.W.R.] #654197
05/25/16 11:46 am
05/25/16 11:46 am
Pennsyltuckey

Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Originally Posted by D.W.R.
The main problem with the numbers they are using is that they assume your bike or car is a category one "concours" show machine and levy taxes accordingly. You only learn of this when you receive your renewal form for your tag registration, you don't have time for a reassessment before your tag expires so you must pay the fee and then appeal the levy. After that they "might" refund you some money. As most of us know the 'Classic price guides" have absolutely nothing to do with the real world value of 90% of the machines we here own. Those are the prices (real or imagined) that collectors like to assign to their trailer queens. It's fantasy!
Don

Alan (near Charlotte) had his NC taxes reduced just by showing them his bike and car. Stands to reason you can do the same...
yes?

Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: Alex] #654199
05/25/16 11:59 am
05/25/16 11:59 am
Pennsyltuckey

Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Originally Posted by Alex

Pennsyltuckey is probably one of the prime examples of this. We pay taxes on our income (privilege to work) and each employer takes it out of your pay. In 2015, I had 33 employers! Technically, I can show each that one of the (or my "primary") employer is already taking out this assessment, and not have to have it removed from every paycheck from every employer. Technically, I could have my tax preparation professional fill out a form to get all the excess taxes which were taken out of every check by every employer back or credited to me.
Yeah right.

In addition to whatever taxes come directly out of my paychecks, PA also assesses a local "school" (read: nuisance) tax. For this, you must write a check and mail it or carry it in to some schmoe who sits at a desk, being paid to collect and manage these fees. The tax is minimal, like 7, 8, or 9 dollars! Yet you still have to actually take time to write a check and send it or take it in.

If all the roads, bridges, tunnels, and stuff were all pristine and in excellent condition, if all the ambulance companies weren't privately owned and operated, if everything was absolutely perfect in every way... it wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is when all of our infrastructure, nationwide, is in ruins and getting worse as taxes and living expenses rise and rise...

As Lannis pointed out, and as Alex states above, the system is inefficient and corrupt and bloated. mad

Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: D.W.R.] #654209
05/25/16 2:03 pm
05/25/16 2:03 pm
Fl., U.S.A.
Thunderbutt Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thunderbutt  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Fl., U.S.A.
But just think how many under privileged illegal immigrants and refugees your providing for. Now, doesn't that make you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: D.W.R.] #654220
05/25/16 3:42 pm
05/25/16 3:42 pm
Orygone
Boomer Online content

BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
There was a great show on NPR last night, Frontline, on flood insurance and what happened when Reagan turned the managing of the flood insurance funds over to the insurance companies. In the last three years after Sandy the insurance companies have made a 29% profit to the tune of $400,000,000 with less than a third of the homes getting rebuilt. Fraudulent engineering reports to under pay homeowners and overcharging for unqualified underwriters. So not only do we have inefficient government but we have corrupt businesses ripping off the insured and taxpayers.

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: Boomer] #654230
05/25/16 4:35 pm
05/25/16 4:35 pm
Earth
R
rick e. Offline
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

Earth
Originally Posted by Boomer
There was a great show on NPR last night, Frontline, on flood insurance and what happened when Reagan turned the managing of the flood insurance funds over to the insurance companies. In the last three years after Sandy the insurance companies have made a 29% profit to the tune of $400,000,000 with less than a third of the homes getting rebuilt. Fraudulent engineering reports to under pay homeowners and overcharging for unqualified underwriters. So not only do we have inefficient government but we have corrupt businesses ripping off the insured and taxpayers.

Bill B...

+1

Outsourcing to the Private Sector is a prime example of the biggest financial waste we have ever experienced. Once again, not politics, just a bit of math and a bit of history.

My money would be on a WPA style any day of the week over outsourcing.

But sadly, and I quote the late Joe Strummer;

"Greed...it ain't going anywhere!"

----THE CLASH-----

Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: rick e.] #654231
05/25/16 4:56 pm
05/25/16 4:56 pm
Running from demons in WNY
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Running from demons in WNY
I live in rural western NY state...NY state as a whole has the highest property taxes I believe....But vehicle registration fees are quite low.. :bigt
Property taxes used to pay for schools and gov't services should be the same cost to everyone...Not flat rate, the same rate for services used. When you're paying for gas does the pump ask you your income or personal wealth before pricing the fuel? I was a contractor and my rate was the same for all customers.......

I take off bike parts until it doesn't function, then put on just enough so it functions
Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: Boomer] #654237
05/25/16 5:58 pm
05/25/16 5:58 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Well'ard Rocker
Lannis  Offline

Well'ard Rocker

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by Boomer
There was a great show on NPR last night, Frontline, on flood insurance ...

Bill B...

Getting one's info from NPR would be like getting it from the John Birch Society, except the other way round ... no one (except maybe PBS) is more left-leaning than them.

But be that as it may, the "Flood Insurance" thing is not going to work no matter who is running it, the insurance companies OR the government. The problem is that people want to build homes on the beach or in flood plains, places that we KNOW it's going to flood. We KNOW it will, and will destroy everything there.

But people want to build there anyway, so we have this "Flood Insurance" scam, where the people at risk pay a relative pittance, that can't possibly cover the damage that we KNOW is going to come. If people had to pay a premium commensurate with the actual risk, they'd never build there. And they shouldn't build there. But they want to anyway, because the people want a beach house, and the county wants the tax base, so everyone winks at it, and it turns into one big scam when something happens ....

Lannis

Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: D.W.R.] #654241
05/25/16 6:42 pm
05/25/16 6:42 pm
Orygone
Boomer Online content

BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
Actually it was on PBS and thats a pretty broad stoke there Lannis. Maybe you should watch the show with an open mind and see how objective it is. They interviewed all sides except the insurance execs that declined to be interviewed.

BillB...

Boomer
Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: D.W.R.] #654249
05/25/16 7:52 pm
05/25/16 7:52 pm
Pennsyltuckey

Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
I agree that thinking NPR is a liberal media back k is an old mid 20th century myth.
They offer wide coverage on many things, incorporating as many sources as possible. Flood insurance is a racket for certain.
Many folks whose homes were destroyed in Hurricane Sandy had paid flood insurance premiums for 30 years or more.
Maybe it's another "out dated myth" that insurance companies run the government AND gouge the people too.
This is sure one of my pet peeves- the insurance scam. First, you buy into the fear monger scare tactics sales BS. You pay, pay, pay, pay, & pay some more, only to be ripped off, denied coverage, have them cancel your policy, or worse. If I had my way I'd burn every single insurance company straight to the ground, keel haul then draw & quarter everybody in the top management tier, and start over. RRRR matey.

Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: D.W.R.] #654258
05/25/16 9:06 pm
05/25/16 9:06 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Well'ard Rocker
Lannis  Offline

Well'ard Rocker

Central Virginia
It probably varies by area and by insurance company.

February 24th, an F3 tornado tore apart the little village of Evergreen down the road from me. Everyone was talking about what the various insurance companies were doing to handle it.

Apparently State Farm was being very slow evaluating damage, requiring a ton of paperwork from people whose houses had just disappeared, and disputing claims. Allstate and Farm Bureau, however, had adjusters there the next day with checkbooks in hand, finding people places to stay, paying right up front for the visible damage, and generally being very helpful.

As a result, I moved my coverage from State Farm. We do listen to evidence!

Lannis

Re: New tax evaluation formula in NC [Re: D.W.R.] #654321
05/26/16 9:26 am
05/26/16 9:26 am
Winston-Salem N.C.
D
D.W.R. Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D.W.R.  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D

Winston-Salem N.C.
Ouch! Sorry guys, I just wanted to give a Britbike related heads up to the NC residents and now we're talking about NPR and flood insurance and bordering on politics? And people ask me why I don't post much anymore smile I wouldn't feel bad if Alan made this thread go away, I'm sure someone will force that with something asinine sooner or later. My apologies to the board.
Don R.

71 Rocket 3
72 B50 MX
66-71 A 65 Bitsa
96 Trident 900
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership