BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
John Michl
John Michl
Keokuk, Ia
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
211 registered members (68 royalstar tony), 1,742 guests, and 507 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
johnguppy, michael morgan, Xavier, J. Grant, Jerry
9952 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 177
koan58 91
Stuart 86
Popular Topics(Views)
434,442 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,243
Posts631,726
Members9,952
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#65083 - 04/30/06 6:19 am Questions about Wassell Aluminum Push rods  
78AMIgrad Offline
BritBike Forum member
78AMIgrad  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Juneau, AK
I bought some NOS Wassell M.D. 32H Dural push rods for my Commando build and they are solid one peice aluminum. They have no steel end caps, both rocker and lifter mating surfaces will be in direct contact with their respective aluminum bussiness end.

Never seen this before, as all other Wassel and other aftermarket pushrods i've had experience with had some form of steel tip. The instructions mention that both rocker and lifter surfaces should be highley polished (no brainer there) Anyone heard any horror stories or positive experiances with this particular type?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#65084 - 04/30/06 8:02 am Re: Questions about Wassell Aluminum Push rods  
Tiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Melbourne Australia
I suspect that they are solid ally with a minor diameter which is less than the stock pushrods ?
If so I have seen these for Triumphs and would not consider using them, tube has greater rigidity than [solid] rod of equal diameter, and using smaller diameter rod is asking for pushrod flex.
I know enough of the dynamics of valve trains to understand that I actually know bugger all. bigt
You could end up with an ugly harmonic / resonant frequency problem that could either tangle valves or maybe have a valve meet a piston if you miss a gear.
If they were branded Harman & Collins or similar I would not be as concerned.

1969 TR6R
7.62 x 51 is not a maths puzzle.
#65085 - 04/30/06 9:45 am Re: Questions about Wassell Aluminum Push rods  
78AMIgrad Offline
BritBike Forum member
78AMIgrad  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Juneau, AK
I have'nt measured them against the stock pushrods yet, but my initial guess would be that they are less in diameter. What i'm really sceptical about is how well they would wear. Seems I might be adj. valve clearance every 500-1000 mi maybe. Thanks for the info bigt

#65086 - 04/30/06 1:08 pm Re: Questions about Wassell Aluminum Push rods  
Mark Parker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Parker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Bega NSW Australia
Hi,78AMIgrad
I have recently fitted some offset rocker buttons to my A65 and was suprised that they were made from alloy, however they work and I expect they will last, aluminium is not a bad bearing surface. At the same time I fitted a set of Chrome/molly pushrods which I made up by putting the std tips from the old alloy ones onto some ford aftermarket pushrods that I shortened and turned down on the ends slightly. They are a little heavier but the motor is quieter and revs just as well, the std valve springs seem quite able to control the extra weight up to the RPM limit I use 7,500, being that I'm using a longer stroke Norton crank. With std cam and big (slightly heavier valves), std valve gear & p/rods, my sons A65 was fine to 9,000RPM plus. Putting one end of the std pushrod on the table I could push it with my hand in the middle and obtain noticable flex, but not with the C/molly.

mark
#65087 - 04/30/06 7:29 pm Re: Questions about Wassell Aluminum Push rods  
78AMIgrad Offline
BritBike Forum member
78AMIgrad  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Juneau, AK
Thanks for the comeback Mark, don't think I will be making my own pushrods anytime soon, but good to hear you are'nt intimmidated by it and it worked out for you beerchug

I did pull up an old conversation from here on google, where John Healy mentions these very pushrods. And John Healy if you are lurking this post please pipe in with any added experience you have with these Wassell Dural pushrods smile

http://www.britbike.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=003184;p=1

#65088 - 05/01/06 7:48 am Re: Questions about Wassell Aluminum Push rods  
Flying Dutchie Offline
BritBike Forum
Flying Dutchie  Offline
BritBike Forum

the Netherlands
FWIW, I have had Wassell dural pushrods in my Commando for the last 25 years. No sign of wear yet when I replaced the head gasket last winter.

I have also had their dural pushrods in a highly tuned BSA B50 scrambler. Never had any problems with them. So unless they changed the material spec I wouldn't worry about them bigt

Jan

#65089 - 05/01/06 12:43 pm Re: Questions about Wassell Aluminum Push rods  
78AMIgrad Offline
BritBike Forum member
78AMIgrad  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Juneau, AK
Quote:
Originally posted by Flying Dutchie:
FWIW, I have had Wassell dural pushrods in my Commando for the last 25 years. No sign of wear yet when I replaced the head gasket last winter.

I have also had their dural pushrods in a highly tuned BSA B50 scrambler. Never had any problems with them. So unless they changed the material spec I wouldn't worry about them bigt

Jan
Thanks for the info, is Wassell still around does anyone know?

#65090 - 05/01/06 12:54 pm Re: Questions about Wassell Aluminum Push rods  
L.A.B. Online content
BritBike Forum member
L.A.B.  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Norfolk, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by 78AMIgrad:
is Wassell still around does anyone know?

Wassell = http://www.totalbikebits.com/index.html

#65091 - 05/01/06 5:01 pm Re: Questions about Wassell Aluminum Push rods  
RF Whatley Online content
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
I would think that there would be more reciprocating weight to loose in the rocker arms and lifters than the push rods.

bigt

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes
#65092 - 05/01/06 7:25 pm Re: Questions about Wassell Aluminum Push rods  
78AMIgrad Offline
BritBike Forum member
78AMIgrad  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Juneau, AK
Quote:
Originally posted by RF Whatley:
I would think that there would be more reciprocating weight to loose in the rocker arms and lifters than the push rods.

bigt
Probably, but I got these off eBay, thought they were the typical Wassell type with steel terminations, got them and realised they are one peice Dural aluminum so I thought I would seek help and advice wink

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.072s Queries: 14 (0.006s) Memory: 0.8597 MB (Peak: 1.0536 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-18 00:36:47 UTC