BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
63SuperRocket
63SuperRocket
Portland, ME
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
220 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,763 guests, and 545 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews
9958 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 190
koan58 100
Stuart 86
NickL 72
Popular Topics(Views)
437,841 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,282
Posts632,304
Members9,958
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#650538 - 04/28/16 2:04 pm Magneto bearing removal  
limeyrider Offline
BritBike Forum member
limeyrider  Offline
BritBike Forum member

gastonia .. NC
Having fabricated a puller to remove the bearing inner race from the slip ring end, and finding it VERY tight ....is it permissible to apply moderate heat to the inner race .... given it's proximity to the slip ring,and coils? .... don't want to cook anything !.

Thank you for any and all advice.

James.

BSA Gold Star eBay items

BSA Gold Star forum This board is dedicated to BSA Gold Star motorcycles.

#650539 - 04/28/16 2:18 pm Re: Magneto bearing removal [Re: limeyrider]  
Magnetoman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted By limeyrider
is it permissible to apply moderate heat to the inner race
The shaft and the race are both made of steel so, unlike a bearing in an Al case, there would be no differential thermal expansion, i.e. heat won't help. Personally, I would be very reluctant to apply heat anyway because of both the coil and the slipring.

Have you removed races from other magnetos before? The reason I ask is what you think is "VERY tight" may be "normal." Races require significant persuasion to get them to move.

#650547 - 04/28/16 3:16 pm Re: Magneto bearing removal [Re: Magnetoman]  
gREgg-K Online content
BritBike Forum member
gREgg-K  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Ottawa, Canada
Originally Posted By Magnetoman
Originally Posted By limeyrider
is it permissible to apply moderate heat to the inner race
The shaft and the race are both made of steel so, unlike a bearing in an Al case, there would be no differential thermal expansion, i.e. heat won't help. Personally, I would be very reluctant to apply heat anyway because of both the coil and the slipring.

Have you removed races from other magnetos before? The reason I ask is what you think is "VERY tight" may be "normal." Races require significant persuasion to get them to move.

Agreed. Do not heat the race, because not only will that not do any good, but it may in fact damage something.

Perhaps you could post a pic of your puller. Could be something in its construction that is causing the reluctance you observe.

The bearing races can be difficult enough to remove, but unless the pulling force is perfectly axial with the shaft, the inner race will bind on the shaft, rather than slide.

.. Gregg

Spyder Integrated Technologies
Lucas, BTH, & Miller Magneto & Dynamo Restoration
SMITHS Chronometric Restoration
magneto@spyder-it.com
#650552 - 04/28/16 3:36 pm Re: Magneto bearing removal [Re: limeyrider]  
DBDBrian Online content
BritBike Forum member
DBDBrian  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Norfolk England
Hi James, as MM and Gregg comment, they can be VERY tight. I have an original factory claw type puller, but at times have backed off, for fear of damaging the armature or the puller.
I have removed stubborn inner race's by grinding a flat across the race to within a few thou of the shaft, to release the tension. This needs to be done carefully, and slowly, so as not to generate to much heat. Obviously it's goodbye bearing.

Brian

Made In England
#650554 - 04/28/16 4:26 pm Re: Magneto bearing removal [Re: DBDBrian]  
limeyrider Offline
BritBike Forum member
limeyrider  Offline
BritBike Forum member

gastonia .. NC
Thanks to MM,Gregg and Brian ....in the interest of " do it right", I am setting aside the home fabricated puller and will ask my local small electric motor repair shop to kindly remove the bearing race for me.

Thank you for your wisdom and guidance.

James.

#650558 - 04/28/16 5:25 pm Re: Magneto bearing removal [Re: limeyrider]  
trevinoz Online content
BritBike Forum member
trevinoz  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

newcastle australia
You will have to master the removal process because you may have to take the race off a few time when you are shimming to set the end float.

#650563 - 04/28/16 6:46 pm Re: Magneto bearing removal [Re: trevinoz]  
Magnetoman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted By trevinoz
you may have to take the race off a few time when you are shimming to set the end float.
To add a bit to that, the race-to-race spacing needs to be 4.000". This is adjusted by the shim(s) behind the race. A 0.000" end float is ideal, especially for a face cam, but it can be 0.001-0.005" (max.) for a ring cam, and 0.001"-0.003" (max.) for a face cam. This is set by different shims that are placed between the main body and the outer piece that holds the cam.

I suppose it's fortunate that magnetos still work with incorrect or missing shims, but properly dealing with machining tolerances by correctly shimming them is one of the keys to having a magneto live a long and happy life.

#650576 - 04/28/16 8:53 pm Re: Magneto bearing removal [Re: Magnetoman]  
limeyrider Offline
BritBike Forum member
limeyrider  Offline
BritBike Forum member

gastonia .. NC
Thanks to all who have offered help and advice, my " Heath Robinson" efforts at fabricating a puller without benefit of machine tools are suspect.
Having to remove, and replace the bearing perhaps several times to get the shimming correct tells me that the services of a machine shop are need to properly make an accurate puller. I don't want to give up on trying to repair my mag., nor do I want to "bodge" it .... the next owner will not thank me.
There is a small voice that is saying " leave it to a pro."

Thanks again.

James.

#650594 - 04/29/16 12:44 am Re: Magneto bearing removal [Re: limeyrider]  
Boomer Online content
BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
And I recommend that pro to be Doug Wood. It will cost you around $500, plus or minus, but it will be a bolt on ready new magneto.

Bill B...

Last edited by Boomer; 04/29/16 12:46 am.

Boomer
#650638 - 04/29/16 9:26 am Re: Magneto bearing removal [Re: Boomer]  
limeyrider Offline
BritBike Forum member
limeyrider  Offline
BritBike Forum member

gastonia .. NC
For the time being the magneto will have to take a back seat, the small voice is getting louder.

Thanks.

James.

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.389s Queries: 15 (0.079s) Memory: 0.8549 MB (Peak: 1.0552 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 11:22:41 UTC