BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Coco
Coco
Regina Sk, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
209 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,642 guests, and 555 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 193
koan58 99
Stuart 84
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
438,944 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,290
Posts632,453
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#635848 - 01/19/16 12:52 pm Modified Norton Featherbed Frame?  
TheDutchRider Offline
BritBike Forum member
TheDutchRider  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Netherlands

Hi all,

In the image you see a modified Norton Featherbed Slimline Frame which has a Norton Atlas 1964 framenumber (re-)stamped on the gusset plate.

The guy I purchased it from said it is a John Tickle frame but I do not know of any John Tickle Slimline frames and given the lines of the lower and middle frame tubes it rather looks like a Rickman style frame, or did someone do this in the shed in the backgarden with DIY-welding equipment?, since for instance the front mounting bracket of the tyre inflator is still there?

Do you have any thoughts about this frame?, if so, greatly appreciated and let them hear!

Best regards,
Edwin

#636264 - 01/21/16 5:45 pm Re: Modified Norton Featherbed Frame? [Re: TheDutchRider]  
Allan Gill Offline
Allan Gill  Offline

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
I'd have it acid cleaned and check those welds for strength, or clean them up and redo them. The lower one on this side looks shit.

I'm going to modify one of my A65 frames, which involves altering the rearward down tubes, after seeing how steel mig can break with fatigue/vibration or impact, I'm going to weld with stainless mig wire ( which I make stainless exhausts with) it goes sweet on steel and is stronger than the frame it's welding to.

beerchug
#636276 - 01/21/16 6:51 pm Re: Modified Norton Featherbed Frame? [Re: TheDutchRider]  
triton thrasher Online content
BritBike Forum member
triton thrasher  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

scotland
Looks like a Slimline that some goon has tried to make look like a Rickman frame.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
#636379 - 01/22/16 10:33 am Re: Modified Norton Featherbed Frame? [Re: TheDutchRider]  
TheDutchRider Offline
BritBike Forum member
TheDutchRider  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Netherlands
Thanks for the thoughts, advice, and photo!

Since there is a bad weld there, the fact that the front tyre inflator bracket has not been removed, and the fact that the frame feels heavier than my other Norton-frames, for now most likely the frame then is not a special frame but a featherbed messed up by a 'goon with bad welding skills'. Still, the frame downtubes go all the way from steering head to back end, without any interfering welds, but who knows, maybe the culprit changed those downtubes as well and welded the engine mountings back on. Possibly in the days when these frames were less valuable than today.

Well, it is still a frame, now to decide what to do with it; Sell, restore, dump, or put in the back of the garage in its current form until wisdom and additional cash for engine plus gearbox come for building 'The Goon' (haha).

Thanks for the replies & happy motoring!

#648114 - 04/10/16 11:10 pm Re: Modified Norton Featherbed Frame? [Re: TheDutchRider]  
Pre Unit Offline
BritBike Forum member
Pre Unit  Offline
BritBike Forum member

terra Australis

#648453 - 04/13/16 3:07 am Re: Modified Norton Featherbed Frame? [Re: TheDutchRider]  
Rohan Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rohan  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Oztralia
And this is related to this thread how ??

The dogleg in the frametube just ahead of the swingarm pivot says its either something quite different to the Tickle frame - or had a strange bad accident !
If you see a bare Tickle frame, the top tubes are quite straight too, not pulled in like in the OP pic. (?).

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.426s Queries: 15 (0.007s) Memory: 0.8193 MB (Peak: 0.9754 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 15:01:03 UTC