BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
bones_bir
bones_bir
Central TX
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
213 registered members (68 royalstar tony), 1,760 guests, and 514 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
johnguppy, michael morgan, Xavier, J. Grant, Jerry
9952 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 179
koan58 94
Stuart 83
Popular Topics(Views)
434,796 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,245
Posts631,743
Members9,952
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#646974 - 04/03/16 9:09 am Advice for newly 650 Spitfire engine  
SteveT Offline
BritBike Forum member
SteveT  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK
After what seemed forever i have got my 66 Spitfire back from having a full engine/gearbox rebuild, this was carried out by SRM Engineering,anyway its back.... so its 1st start up Today and a short ride out seeing its a nice day.
A little alarmed that on the start up i noticed it smoking from one of the silencers :-( thinking its maybe a bit of oil in the pipes etc i gave it a short 6 mile run out thinking it may clear, no such luck, should i be alarmed or maybe its just bedding in?
Any advice appreciated before i give them a bell Tomorrow..
Thanks
Steve

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#647019 - 04/03/16 2:29 pm Re: Advice for newly 650 Spitfire engine [Re: SteveT]  
gunner Online content
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Farnham, Surrey, UK
Sounds like the rings are not bedded in correctly and to do this you need to run the bike up a steep hill a few times in second gear with plenty of throttle. Do this within the first few miles of initial startup.

BSA's use cast iron rings which need bedding in against the previously honed cylinder walls. Theres only a small window of opportunity to achieve this before the honing wears down. Ride the bike hard for the first few miles as suggested and the rings should bed in and seal.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
#647024 - 04/03/16 2:51 pm Re: Advice for newly 650 Spitfire engine [Re: SteveT]  
lemans Offline
BritBike Forum member
lemans  Offline
BritBike Forum member

netherlands
porlock hill would do
call them tomorrow to share your observations then give it a couple of weeks to bed in completely.
if it is still smoking return to SRM
reg A

#647053 - 04/03/16 7:17 pm Re: Advice for newly 650 Spitfire engine [Re: SteveT]  
Allan Gill Offline
Allan Gill  Offline

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Ive never had a new bike puffing smoke out when everything has been done.

Ride the bike normally up to operating temperature then allow to cool, repeat over several cycles.

SRM sell gpm pistons which I am inclined to assume will be fitted to your bike. Great Pistons but shite rings. They do seal poorly and by the time the bike had done 1000 miles it was blowing more fuel past the rings into the oil than was being burnt. That said, 7.5:1 Pistons and with this trouble and it still did 95 mph! But if thrashing it was giving me about 10mpg.

I would contact SRM before you do anything. They may have some excuse for it. They may say, just run it. But with ever. Only do it with their say so and written word that if you do that and it worsens. They will sort the fault.

If it were me, I'd pull the top and and fit Hastings or total seal rings in their. But if it were me those would already be in their because I built it.

If it doesn't improve the bores will be glazed by 1000 miles. Deep straw colour! Fresh rings and a hone will sort the problem and you won't be taking any more off than 0.5 thou by doing this

beerchug
#647123 - 04/04/16 9:20 am Re: Advice for newly 650 Spitfire engine [Re: SteveT]  
Adam M. Offline
BritBike Forum member
Adam M.  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Mississauga, Ontario.
First try gunner advice, if you don't have a hill in vicinity, use a normal road with a few hard accelerations and deceleration after.
Do not keep steady high revs and before starting to accelerate get an engine to normal working temperature by easy cruising for 10 - 15 min.
I have GPM pistons with original rings in my engine, but after above treatment I didn't have any problems with them sealing.
Remember to use only cheap 20W50 mineral oil, and change it after 100 km.
Next change after approximately 500 km and after 1500 km change to the oil you 'd like to use in this engine.

#647321 - 04/05/16 8:44 pm Re: Advice for newly 650 Spitfire engine [Re: SteveT]  
richiedan40 Offline
BritBike Forum member
richiedan40  Offline
BritBike Forum member

wales uk
Ive just rebuilt my a65 , on initial start up there was no smoke , boy was I chuffed with myself !
but , after leaving it for 3 weeks while away , I came back to start it and it smoked on the left hand side for about 20 mile.......its just wet sumping , normal stuff , some are worse than others.
you don't know how much oil was left in the sump by srm , they may have been over cautious and put a bit to much in , I,m not so sure about the thrashing up the hill bit , old engines in my opinion need to be run in properly. There were no hills near small heath !
Just ride it for 20 miles or so , don't labour , a bsa engine needs at least 3000 rpm for good pump pressure , this should remove the oil from the sump and go some way to running in your engine.
If it smokes after you've done 100 miles when warm......then you can contact SRM

1969 BSA A65 Lightning
1994 moto guzzi California
Triumph sprint GT
1971 BSA B50 Victor special
1968 BSA B44 SS

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.273s Queries: 15 (0.043s) Memory: 0.8276 MB (Peak: 0.9919 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-18 10:19:04 UTC