BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
tg4360
tg4360
Richmond, VA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
207 registered members (2ndchildhood), 1,542 guests, and 562 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gerard, Regi, Doug Baril, revans, Gilly
9962 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 101
Stuart 85
NickL 69
Popular Topics(Views)
440,493 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,306
Posts632,084
Members9,962
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#628836 - 12/05/15 5:17 am Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby]  
Allan Gill Offline
Allan Gill  Offline

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Your carbs are saying to me that your transition from jet to choke is somewhat blocked. Possibly with old fuel.

This is a problem on concentrics if you have the pilot jet at the float bowl, the move to near the Welch plug cured this issue. A restriction make have a similar effect. I'd leave it soaking in a bath of brake cleaner and then blast it through ( backwards if you can with the new jet removed) with compressed air, failing this drop it in an ultra sonic bath.

beerchug
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#628846 - 12/05/15 10:03 am Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby]  
triton thrasher Online content
BritBike Forum member
triton thrasher  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

scotland
Quote:
The monoblocs have been a learning experience. They have not been idling well. I mentioned this to a friend at a local shop and he said that with the Ethanol fuel I need to go from a 25 to a 30 pilot jet. This has been done and the bike idles better. Sometimes It dies under hard braking as I'm coming to a stop if I'm not carrying throttle. I suspect that the fuel level is tilting in the bowl and causing a lower than required fuel level. Or perhaps the lower fuel level under hard braking is causing too much fuel to enter the bowl and after the stop it dies too rich. Either way something is going on for which there may not be a cure other than a set of concentrics?

This dying after slowing down could be a rich idle mixture, maybe only on one carb. If you shut the throttle, a rich idle mixture makes revs fall too low and then "recover" slightly. It can also soot up the plug on over-run.

A harder problem to fix, if you have it, is vibration at some particular rpm making the float needle leak. It may not matter when you're riding at speed, because the fuel is being used. Passing through that rev range while slowing down, with closed throttle, can put too much fuel into the carburettor and wet the plug.

Or it could be something else!

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
#628872 - 12/05/15 2:46 pm Re: by the light of day [Re: triton thrasher]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
Thanks for the Star washers idea and the paint shaker but the idea of crushing my tank in a paint shaker is a bit un-nerving.

I ran some carb cleaner though the air passage of both carbs and got good flow through both the holes in the bottom of the carb body. But there is something going on so I will revisit cleaning the carbs out.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
Parking lot Elf in training
#628875 - 12/05/15 3:14 pm Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
I wrapped a tank in bubble wrap once, put in the dryer and packed towel around it and ran it on no heat setting once, it worked pretty good, still pissed the wife of though.
She don't like engine parts in the oven either for some reason

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
#628890 - 12/05/15 5:03 pm Re: by the light of day [Re: shel]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
Can you imagine MEK in the dryer. And I have a gas dryer. KABOOM! "There go the cats Dear..."

I have to be careful Shel. My wife restores Cast Iron Skillets. She has one that is about 13" across.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
#628901 - 12/05/15 6:12 pm Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby]  
Zombie Offline
BritBike Forum member
Zombie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Florida PanHandle
There's no way to understand how women think... I would think they would just give up, and let us have our way.

But Noooooooooo!!!

#645778 - 03/25/16 11:04 pm Re: by the light of day [Re: Jon W. Whitley]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
Well the Lighting rocket now has a set of Brand new Heidenau K34s on it. I really like the Heidenaus - because the profile is ROUND - no funny ellipses.

I've got a 3.50-19 on the front and a 4.00-19 on the rear. Everything fits just fine. I thought Richard W. was going to have to center the front wheel. But after we put a set of new wheel bearings in everything lined up centered just nice. I guess it make sense that if you are putting pressure from left to right the wheel bearings wear out to the right!

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 03/25/16 11:05 pm.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
#645787 - 03/26/16 3:24 am Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby]  
Allan Gill Offline
Allan Gill  Offline

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Why the fat tyres SG? standard would have been 3.25/19 and 3.50/19.

beerchug
#646235 - 03/29/16 12:13 am Re: by the light of day [Re: Allan Gill]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
I know Allan. I wanted to try em out. If it didn't work then the 4.00 goes on the front of the Flat Track Hornet. There was a 4.00-19 K70 on the back of the Lightning Rocket when I got it.

So far so good. I need to ride it up in the mountains on the Richard be Russel. That will be the acid test.

I also need to update the shocks and the front end though. Thinking about a set of Hagons and Paul Geoff's Eddie Dow front end internals.

Also the 4.00 and the 3.50 are a bit taller so I can get a bit more lean clearance. It is quite easy to drag metal bits when pushing the classic framed bike through the curves at speed. The 71 even with all its bags is a much superior bike in this respect. But then it does have the Michelins.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 03/29/16 7:43 pm.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
#646755 - 04/01/16 4:41 pm Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
Well I just spent the day riding around north Georgia. I managed to get after the rain but before the second wave. From home I went up I-85 to I-985. The just on the otherside of Gainsville (same exit as the Rabbitown Cafe) I got off and headed north to Cleveland GA. The roads were wet and the clouds were low and gloomy -- but no rain! At Cleveland went Old US129 to GA75alt where the fun begins.

75alt has been repaved! Joy of Joys! The Lightning Rocket performed well on the high speed corners in the wet. The Heidenau K34 were rock steady and quite forgiving of my mistakes.

Then up the Richard Bee Russel Parkway: It was repaved to the top last year. Once again the bike performed admirably: I love the sound of the pipes and the Monoblocks. I'm not sure but it sounds different from say the Firebird with the Concentrics. The bike has a deeper note. Just before the RBR meets GA180 I revisited Craig Gap Road to GA180 and then West on GA180 to Suches and TWOs of Suches. Owner Bill Johnston has paved the parking lot with concrete, so those who are unsure on gravel need no longer worry. After getting some No Ethanol 93 at the quickymart in Suches, I ran back across Wolfpen Gap on GA 180 to Jim Smokin Q for lunch. Then back down the RBR to 75alt. At the bottom of 75alt I made a right turn and went over to the "Goat Path" and headed south to GA400 and home. About 6 hours of riding on the 6 volt Lightning Rocket. What a pleasure it was to get to the North Georgia mountains and then what fun to ride the tires off when I got there. (and how rude it was to come back to Atlanta and to have to dice way around nasty cages on I285 - packed solid at 3pm Ack Ack Ack)

I have pics and video from my Sena 10c - time to see if I can get some of this on line.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 04/01/16 4:43 pm.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
#714978 - 11/14/17 3:53 am Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
It’s been a while since I posted up about this bike.

But the new tank 4 gallon tank is on. Looks lovely. I’ll try to post up a pic. Don’t understand photobucket at the moment...

Allan - the tires are now standard dimension Heidenau’s 3.25-19 front and 3.50-19 rear. Driving around town I can feel the handling is much better. Also I’m running lower pressure than I do with the Michelins, 27 psi instead of 32 and 36 front rear.

I’ve replaced the hi-lo switch as it was shorting between and killing the ignition for a sec. most disconcerting...

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.520s Queries: 16 (0.034s) Memory: 0.8830 MB (Peak: 1.0874 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-25 07:39:20 UTC