BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Dave Beef
Dave Beef
Great Britain
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
22 registered members (Alan_nc), 189 guests, and 61 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TROUBLE, Nazer, locobeta, Walt, DennisMartin
10389 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 95
Mori55 88
Triless 86
Rohan 84
reverb 79
Stuart 76
btour 69
DavidP 68
Popular Topics(Views)
691,951 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,056
Posts662,208
Members10,389
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby] #628836
12/05/15 5:17 am
12/05/15 5:17 am
Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Allan Gill Offline

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Your carbs are saying to me that your transition from jet to choke is somewhat blocked. Possibly with old fuel.

This is a problem on concentrics if you have the pilot jet at the float bowl, the move to near the Welch plug cured this issue. A restriction make have a similar effect. I'd leave it soaking in a bath of brake cleaner and then blast it through ( backwards if you can with the new jet removed) with compressed air, failing this drop it in an ultra sonic bath.

beerchug
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby] #628846
12/05/15 10:03 am
12/05/15 10:03 am
scotland
triton thrasher Offline
BritBike Forum member
triton thrasher  Offline
BritBike Forum member

scotland
Quote:
The monoblocs have been a learning experience. They have not been idling well. I mentioned this to a friend at a local shop and he said that with the Ethanol fuel I need to go from a 25 to a 30 pilot jet. This has been done and the bike idles better. Sometimes It dies under hard braking as I'm coming to a stop if I'm not carrying throttle. I suspect that the fuel level is tilting in the bowl and causing a lower than required fuel level. Or perhaps the lower fuel level under hard braking is causing too much fuel to enter the bowl and after the stop it dies too rich. Either way something is going on for which there may not be a cure other than a set of concentrics?

This dying after slowing down could be a rich idle mixture, maybe only on one carb. If you shut the throttle, a rich idle mixture makes revs fall too low and then "recover" slightly. It can also soot up the plug on over-run.

A harder problem to fix, if you have it, is vibration at some particular rpm making the float needle leak. It may not matter when you're riding at speed, because the fuel is being used. Passing through that rev range while slowing down, with closed throttle, can put too much fuel into the carburettor and wet the plug.

Or it could be something else!

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Re: by the light of day [Re: triton thrasher] #628872
12/05/15 2:46 pm
12/05/15 2:46 pm
Atlanta, GA USA
S
Semper Gumby Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Atlanta, GA USA
Thanks for the Star washers idea and the paint shaker but the idea of crushing my tank in a paint shaker is a bit un-nerving.

I ran some carb cleaner though the air passage of both carbs and got good flow through both the holes in the bottom of the carb body. But there is something going on so I will revisit cleaning the carbs out.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
Parking lot Elf in training
Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby] #628875
12/05/15 3:14 pm
12/05/15 3:14 pm
ohio
shel Offline
BritBike Forum member
shel  Offline
BritBike Forum member

ohio
I wrapped a tank in bubble wrap once, put in the dryer and packed towel around it and ran it on no heat setting once, it worked pretty good, still pissed the wife of though.
She don't like engine parts in the oven either for some reason

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Re: by the light of day [Re: shel] #628890
12/05/15 5:03 pm
12/05/15 5:03 pm
Atlanta, GA USA
S
Semper Gumby Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Atlanta, GA USA
Can you imagine MEK in the dryer. And I have a gas dryer. KABOOM! "There go the cats Dear..."

I have to be careful Shel. My wife restores Cast Iron Skillets. She has one that is about 13" across.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby] #628901
12/05/15 6:12 pm
12/05/15 6:12 pm
Florida PanHandle
Zombie Offline
BritBike Forum member
Zombie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Florida PanHandle
There's no way to understand how women think... I would think they would just give up, and let us have our way.

But Noooooooooo!!!

Re: by the light of day [Re: Jon W. Whitley] #645778
03/25/16 11:04 pm
03/25/16 11:04 pm
Atlanta, GA USA
S
Semper Gumby Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Atlanta, GA USA
Well the Lighting rocket now has a set of Brand new Heidenau K34s on it. I really like the Heidenaus - because the profile is ROUND - no funny ellipses.

I've got a 3.50-19 on the front and a 4.00-19 on the rear. Everything fits just fine. I thought Richard W. was going to have to center the front wheel. But after we put a set of new wheel bearings in everything lined up centered just nice. I guess it make sense that if you are putting pressure from left to right the wheel bearings wear out to the right!

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 03/25/16 11:05 pm.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby] #645787
03/26/16 3:24 am
03/26/16 3:24 am
Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Allan Gill Offline

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Why the fat tyres SG? standard would have been 3.25/19 and 3.50/19.

beerchug
Re: by the light of day [Re: Allan Gill] #646235
03/29/16 12:13 am
03/29/16 12:13 am
Atlanta, GA USA
S
Semper Gumby Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Atlanta, GA USA
I know Allan. I wanted to try em out. If it didn't work then the 4.00 goes on the front of the Flat Track Hornet. There was a 4.00-19 K70 on the back of the Lightning Rocket when I got it.

So far so good. I need to ride it up in the mountains on the Richard be Russel. That will be the acid test.

I also need to update the shocks and the front end though. Thinking about a set of Hagons and Paul Geoff's Eddie Dow front end internals.

Also the 4.00 and the 3.50 are a bit taller so I can get a bit more lean clearance. It is quite easy to drag metal bits when pushing the classic framed bike through the curves at speed. The 71 even with all its bags is a much superior bike in this respect. But then it does have the Michelins.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 03/29/16 7:43 pm.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby] #646755
04/01/16 4:41 pm
04/01/16 4:41 pm
Atlanta, GA USA
S
Semper Gumby Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Atlanta, GA USA
Well I just spent the day riding around north Georgia. I managed to get after the rain but before the second wave. From home I went up I-85 to I-985. The just on the otherside of Gainsville (same exit as the Rabbitown Cafe) I got off and headed north to Cleveland GA. The roads were wet and the clouds were low and gloomy -- but no rain! At Cleveland went Old US129 to GA75alt where the fun begins.

75alt has been repaved! Joy of Joys! The Lightning Rocket performed well on the high speed corners in the wet. The Heidenau K34 were rock steady and quite forgiving of my mistakes.

Then up the Richard Bee Russel Parkway: It was repaved to the top last year. Once again the bike performed admirably: I love the sound of the pipes and the Monoblocks. I'm not sure but it sounds different from say the Firebird with the Concentrics. The bike has a deeper note. Just before the RBR meets GA180 I revisited Craig Gap Road to GA180 and then West on GA180 to Suches and TWOs of Suches. Owner Bill Johnston has paved the parking lot with concrete, so those who are unsure on gravel need no longer worry. After getting some No Ethanol 93 at the quickymart in Suches, I ran back across Wolfpen Gap on GA 180 to Jim Smokin Q for lunch. Then back down the RBR to 75alt. At the bottom of 75alt I made a right turn and went over to the "Goat Path" and headed south to GA400 and home. About 6 hours of riding on the 6 volt Lightning Rocket. What a pleasure it was to get to the North Georgia mountains and then what fun to ride the tires off when I got there. (and how rude it was to come back to Atlanta and to have to dice way around nasty cages on I285 - packed solid at 3pm Ack Ack Ack)

I have pics and video from my Sena 10c - time to see if I can get some of this on line.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 04/01/16 4:43 pm.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby] #714978
11/14/17 3:53 am
11/14/17 3:53 am
Atlanta, GA USA
S
Semper Gumby Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Atlanta, GA USA
It’s been a while since I posted up about this bike.

But the new tank 4 gallon tank is on. Looks lovely. I’ll try to post up a pic. Don’t understand photobucket at the moment...

Allan - the tires are now standard dimension Heidenau’s 3.25-19 front and 3.50-19 rear. Driving around town I can feel the handling is much better. Also I’m running lower pressure than I do with the Michelins, 27 psi instead of 32 and 36 front rear.

I’ve replaced the hi-lo switch as it was shorting between and killing the ignition for a sec. most disconcerting...

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby] #746980
08/28/18 3:32 am
08/28/18 3:32 am
Atlanta, GA USA
S
Semper Gumby Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Atlanta, GA USA
Hi All.

Lightning Rocket Update.

The bike has been running great. It still has the RM13 6volt Alternator on it.
I have been experimenting with LED H4 headlamps. In a word they suck. If anybody has a good solution to this I would Love to know.

I got a voltage indicator light from Paul Geoff that lets me know if the Alternator has gone away.
For now itrs working just fine. With everything as LED my demands on the Alternator are quite small.
For regulation I found a 50 watt positive ground Zener Diode and bolted it to a heatsink off my 69 firebird. So there it's a regulated system..

I have added a 80mm 6 volt computer fan in front of the cylinder head and barrel. This is my concession to Atlanta traffic.
Believe it or not it actually keeps the motor from melting down in summer stop and go.
Its wired into the ignition circuit is runs all the time. This has worked so well that now the Thunderbolt and the 63 Star 650 also have fans.

When the time comes the best 6 volt setup is a Pazon 200 watt voltage regulator with a RM21 120 watt alternator or a RM23 200 watt alternator. I am currently running this set up on the 63 Star with a spare RM21 from the old Thunderbolt.
The alternator is wired directly to the regulator bypassing the coil switching circuits. If i ever do decide to switch to 12 volts all I have to do is cut the blue wire on the pazon and WALLA, it's a twelve volt system.

Still using Valvolene VR-1 20W50 in the motor.
Now using Amsoil V-Twin synthetic primary oil in the primary. As a result the primary chain seems to go about twice as long before needing adjustment.
Now using Motul 75W90 Motlygear synthetic oil in the gearbox. I talked to the Motul rep. He said this gear oil would not damage the metals in the gearbox.

Trying to get up the nerve to do a longer type trip on one of the 6 volt bikes. I had an ignition switch go bad on the Three State ride this year. Richard got me going again by disconnecting my headlamp. Made it home on the Star before darK!!!! Thanks again Richard Watley.

Still liking the Hedienau K34. I have discovered in addition to looking period correct, they work better with lower stock air pressure in 'em.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 08/28/18 4:08 am.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby] #746987
08/28/18 5:47 am
08/28/18 5:47 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S

Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted by Semper Gumby
experimenting with LED H4 headlamps. In a word they suck.

Whose have you tried?

I've heard only good things from various sources about http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/led-headlamp-bulbs-shop.php; the website offers "6th generation" P43t for GB£50 each or "5th generation" presumably for £30 each as the website says, "Sold singly or in pairs" although the drop-down doesn't offer the option. confused

Lightning Rocket
still has the RM13 6volt Alternator

I didn't realise such things existed 'til I saw an encapsulated version on Raber's website a few months ago. thumbsup However, Gk where it is now. eek

Hth.

Regards,

Re: by the light of day [Re: Stuart] #747045
08/28/18 9:56 pm
08/28/18 9:56 pm
Atlanta, GA USA
S
Semper Gumby Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Atlanta, GA USA
Hi Stuart.

My RM13 is the un-encapsulated vibramatic. I'm waiting for it to fail. When it does then see above...
I thought the RM19 was the Encapsulated replacement for the RM13? The only place I've seen replacement RM13s is at the Bullet site in India.

I've been trying LED H4s off eBay. The focus is terrible the lumins are low. Thanks for the link. Sixty Pounds though shocked Has anybody tried one of these?
I was about to go back to the 60/50 watt 6v halogen now that I've found a good alternator set up. I guess sixty pounds is less than a regulator and a new RM23 stator.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 08/28/18 10:01 pm.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby] #747095
08/29/18 5:36 am
08/29/18 5:36 am
Aus
N
NickL Offline
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Offline
BritBike Forum member
N

Aus
https://www.eBay.com.au/itm/6-VOLT-LED-Headlight-H4-P43T-476-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Hi-Lo-Beam-Conversion/183270517231?hash=item2aabc629ef:g:DdgAAOSwI2xbfuiC

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition................
Bring in the 'Comfy Chair'
Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby] #747248
08/30/18 7:16 am
08/30/18 7:16 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S

Scotland
Hi,

I thought the RM19 was the Encapsulated replacement for the RM13?

Uh-uh, RM19 replaced the earlier numbers from '62, but more power, bigger (74 mm. o.d.) rotor and stator 'ole; early ones I've seen were unencapsulated too.

The encapsulated RM13 I found happened to be an ET 4-wire (ET RM19 are 5-wire) with the same 5-figure number as the unencapsulated one (that's what I was searching with) but a "B" suffix. I appreciate it might be a long shot that Lucas also produced encapsulated versions of the RM13 3-wire and any are still around in the long-time US Triumph dealers after half-a-century ... smile

LED H4s off eBay.
Sixty Pounds though shocked

Mmmm ... as you've seen(?), the website does say, "Available singly ..." so maybe an e-mail to Pete if you wanted to try one? Pete does at least own and ride old bikes - he has posted on BritBike as his alter ego "Thumpersloper" and he's a more regular poster on IKBA.

I guess sixty pounds is less than a regulator and a new RM23 stator.

Pretty-much my take on the current economics - LED doesn't fix an old/failing alternator, they're just a sticking plaster, and a new high-output alternator costs pretty-much the same as a new low-output alternator but, after you fit a new high-output alternator, you can use those cheap 'n' nasty incandescent bulbs from any auto. parts store ...

Just a thought if you're considering an RM23 ... why not the high-output version of the 3-phase RM24 - same 14.5A/180W @ 5,000 rpm but more at 2,400 rpm (3-phase 85% of rated vs. single-phase 75% of rated)? Or are 6V 3-phase reg./rec. too thin on the ground?

Hth.

Regards,

Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby] #747420
08/31/18 3:04 pm
08/31/18 3:04 pm
Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Allan Gill Offline

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Been very happy with my RM24 with podtronics reg - 11 years in!

When I used to run on points it would start the bike with a flat battery, with EI it will also start and run the bike from dead but unlike the points it takes more than 1 kick.

beerchug
Re: by the light of day [Re: Stuart] #748119
09/06/18 12:52 pm
09/06/18 12:52 pm
Atlanta, GA USA
S
Semper Gumby Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Atlanta, GA USA
Originally Posted by Stuart

Pretty-much my take on the current economics - LED doesn't fix an old/failing alternator, they're just a sticking plaster, and a new high-output alternator costs pretty-much the same as a new low-output alternator but, after you fit a new high-output alternator, you can use those cheap 'n' nasty incandescent bulbs from any auto. parts store ...

Just a thought if you're considering an RM23 ... why not the high-output version of the 3-phase RM24 - same 14.5A/180W @ 5,000 rpm but more at 2,400 rpm (3-phase 85% of rated vs. single-phase 75% of rated)? Or are 6V 3-phase reg./rec. too thin on the ground?

Big alternator and the 60/55 6v hella will work just fine, but why put all that current through thin wires when you you might not have to. I’ve had such great luck with the 12 v LED Truck-lite on the 12 volt bikes. (I know I know). I’m probably going bite the bullet and try one of Pete’s LED H4’s.

RM24 - There are no three phase six volt regulators that I know of...

The best 6 volt option is the Pazon 200 watt single phase regulator. Down the road I can still clip the blue wire and it’s a 12 volt reg. This set up works flawlessly on the 62 Star.

http://www.pazon.com/ignition-system/regulator-singlephase-12v-6v.html

Btw - the only lighting option on a 12 volt britbike. Doesn’t care about polarity. Doesn’t draw too much. Only 7” lenses though. If I don’t find a good 6volt option for the 62 and 64, this will make me convert to 12v. The only con is the plastic lense is easily scratched. Some clear 3m protecting film from the BMW crowd will cure this though.

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wc...rent_category_rn=13089&storeId=10001

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 09/06/18 1:21 pm. Reason: Link

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
Re: by the light of day [Re: triton thrasher] #748246
09/07/18 2:22 pm
09/07/18 2:22 pm
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
Originally Posted by triton thrasher
Or it could be something else!

From now on, whenever I offer a tech suggestion, I'M ADDING THAT PROVISO!!!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby] #748269
09/07/18 7:08 pm
09/07/18 7:08 pm
Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Allan Gill Offline

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire

That is interesting although I didn't see a price, if my Cibie light didn't upset enough people in Holland last year..... This certainly would have laughing

As for running high output alternator on a wiring harness designed for 6v, it shouldn't be a problem... on you would have to double the wattage on the 12v system against whats on the 6v system to have the same amount of amps... So if your 6v alternator has a maximum output of 90 watts, the 180w (12v) RM24 will output the same amount of amps, that being 14.5amp at maximum (5000rpm), your wiring harness would be spec'd for at least 16.5 amps.

beerchug
Re: by the light of day [Re: Allan Gill] #748379
09/08/18 5:31 pm
09/08/18 5:31 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S

Scotland
Hi Allan.

Originally Posted by Allan Gill
As for running high output alternator on a wiring harness designed for 6v, it shouldn't be a problem... on you would have to double the wattage on the 12v system against whats on the 6v system to have the same amount of amps... So if your 6v alternator has a maximum output of 90 watts, the 180w (12v) RM24 will output the same amount of amps, that being 14.5amp at maximum (5000rpm), your wiring harness would be spec'd for at least 16.5 amps.

Uh-uh. doesn't work like that ...

Alternators aren't "6v" or "12v", that's down to the DC regulation, which is why "Semper Gumby" posted:-

RM24 - There are no three phase six volt regulators that I know of...

Strictly-speaking, I don't know what a RM23 (or high-output RM24) would produce regulated to 6V DC - the 14.5A @ 5,000 rpm of both is predicated on regulation to 12V DC. The latest Lucas alternator I have rpm/Amps figures for regulated to both 6V and 12V is the RM19 - regulated to 6V, the version supplied to BSA, Triumph, etc. produces >10.5A @ 5,000 rpm; regulated to 12V, it produces only ~8.5A @ 5,000 rpm ... frown

If the figures can be extrapolated, it's possible a RM21 or RM23 regulated to 6V DC might produce a couple more Amps than the 10.5A and 14.5A they're rated for respectively regulated to 12V DC; I'd be inclined to make the wires common to several circuits from 28/0.30 'thinwall' - rated for 25A. smile

Hth.

Regards,

Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby] #748461
09/09/18 5:50 am
09/09/18 5:50 am
Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Allan Gill Offline

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Thank you for the clarification stuart, but it wasn't the point i was trying to make. I was making my point about the harness... the 90w alternator converted for 6v would output around 15amp at max output (this is through the wires post regulation) the 180w alternator would produce the same amount of amps post regulation at max alternator output...

I agree with the 25amp wiring, my Brown/Blue main wire is 25amp (although standard pvc type as i couldn't get the right colours in thin wall) other circuits are wired to the next gauge above their maximum load would be.

beerchug
Re: by the light of day [Re: Allan Gill] #748499
09/09/18 2:56 pm
09/09/18 2:56 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S

Scotland
Hi Allan,

the 90w alternator converted for 6v would output around 15amp at max output
the 180w alternator would produce the same amount of amps post regulation at max alternator output

Uh-uh, you aren't understanding ... there isn't any such thing as a "90w alternator" or a "180w" alternator "pre-regulation". Without any load across the alternator, there are only Volts, which are a measure only of potential difference. Regulation is one way of putting a load across the alternator, then coupled with rectification, you end up with DC Volts and Amps ... from which you can calculate Watts, which might or might not be useful.

As I posted earlier, if you regulate a RM19 alternator's output to 6V DC, you get 10.5A @ 5,000 rpm = 65W; otoh, if you regulate the same RM19 alternator's output to 12V DC, you only get 8.5A @ 5,000 rpm but that = 102W. But the alternator is neither "a 65W alternator" nor "a 102W alternator", it's exactly the same alternator.

Similarly, for "Semper Gumby's" purposes, we know a RM21 is rated for 10.5A @ 5,000 rpm and a RM23 is rated for 14.5A @ 5,000 rpm when regulated to 12V DC. While Lucas also quoted "120W" and "180W" respectively, these aren't "240W" and "360W" alternators when regulated to 6V; my best guess is maybe 2A-3A more but, because only 6V, the Watts end up being maybe ~75W~80W for the RM21 and ~100W~105W for the RM23.

I was making my point about the harness

Watts are irrelevant; regulated alternators produce Amps, wire is rated for Amps.

Hth.

Regards,

Re: by the light of day [Re: Semper Gumby] #749481
09/17/18 1:19 pm
09/17/18 1:19 pm
Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Allan Gill Offline

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Stuart, I might as well be talking to a tree, whilst i mean no disrespect I don't think your looking at what im actually talking about... As you had quoted alternators by their wattage earlier, I used that unit of measurement to try and diferenciate between types/versions

I know an unregulated alternator can give out 100's of volts (potentially) I think i saw over 50volts on one application when unregulated, however we are talking about the alternator being regulated at either 6v or 12v, so the math is caculated for one or the other. Simply put I was explaining that switching to 12v the wiring loom will have no problem handling the change in amps following regulation.

Last im saying on this (or monitoring the answer)

beerchug
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership