BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
C.B.S
C.B.S
Lancaster, California
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (21inGoldie), 218 guests, and 359 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Tim Pedder, blayde54, Davenz13, Sean65, Rerock
10478 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 89
franko 78
Triless 69
Popular Topics(Views)
748,628 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,845
Posts670,611
Members10,478
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: And so it begins... [Re: Kent Shaun] #642809
03/04/16 8:56 am
03/04/16 8:56 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content

Well'ard Rocker
Lannis  Online Content

Well'ard Rocker

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by Kent Shaun
Lannis lad, get on YouTube put a search in for Italian gestures, learn a few of them, then with a Horses head under ya arm, or violin case. Walk right in and get that Guzzi sorted lad... :bigt

Times a ticking my man, tell them I'm on me way, and they don't want to mess with ME. I KNOW people, d'ya Cappish.... wink

Problem is, the dealer in Virginia is on my side and we're ALL fighting the evil Piaggio, and they're over in Italy. I expect the Italians would see through my fedora and violin case right away as soon as I got off the train, and I'd be sleeping with the fishes before I could get one "bafangool a bep!" in .....

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: And so it begins... [Re: Kent Shaun] #642822
03/04/16 11:20 am
03/04/16 11:20 am
NL
G
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member
G

NL
Problem is: many young mechanics never learned propor
problem hunting / solving like our generation did.
We looked at what comes out of a part of the system. Does that part of the system do with the input what is should do?
If the input is not correct, the output cannot be correct.
But even a part with an incorrect output can be OK if it just converted incorrect input into incorrect output in a correct manner.

The currect generation never learned to seek in this step by step manner.
They plug in their multipole plug and read the results on the laptop.
Laptop says voltage low so the battery must be bad.
Nobody has any clue why the battery voltage, measured at the location where it is measured is low.
The measured value is low. Why? Because the screw on the terminal is loose.

The young mechanic who worked on my car problem was ashamed.

I told him not to be. I told his shop floor manager to be ashamed since he did not teach his staff adequately.
And probably the management layer above him never gave him the budget to send his people to trainings and schooling.

Ger B

Re: And so it begins... [Re: Ger B] #642825
03/04/16 11:34 am
03/04/16 11:34 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content

Well'ard Rocker
Lannis  Online Content

Well'ard Rocker

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by Ger B

True. But our generation learned that sort of thing because it's what we had to do to make a living or to keep our own equipment running.

Despite all the moaning today about how "bad the economy is", and "how people can't make it" any more, people have so much more money today than they did 50 years ago that it's easy to throw away things that don't work rather than fixing them. We had to "fix" things, and learned a little mechanical and electrical sympathy on the way to doing it.

That's not a generally needed skill any more. If you're selling parts at the parts counter, you (1) Ask the customer what car it is for and (2) Look it up on the computer. If it's not there, you tell him to Go Away.

If you're diagnosing a problem with a car, you plug your computer into the diagnostic port. You don't need to know how the car actually works, that's not necessary from an economics standpoint. You simply replace the module that's indicated on the diagnostic. If there's no module indicated, you tell the customer to scrap the car and buy a new one; that's cheaper than actually trying to figure out what's wrong.

NOW, in the midst of all that, there is still a (limited) need for people who can fix steam locomotives, and old motorcycles, and antique cars and such. The people who do that have to train themselves to do it, but I know folks whose services are in demand for that kind of work .... !!

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: And so it begins... [Re: Lannis] #642829
03/04/16 11:46 am
03/04/16 11:46 am
Running from demons in WNY
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted by Lannis

True. But our generation learned that sort of thing because it's what we had to do to make a living or to keep our own equipment running.

Lannis

Hmmm, of all the people I know my age, 68 , I'm the only one who who still works on cars/trucks/bikes or whatever needs to be fixed... Years ago there was a garage or gas station on every corner because of two reasons, the older vehicles needed more maintenance and a lot of people back then did not work on their own cars.
I still drive junk not because I can't afford a new car/truck, I'm just too cheap to buy one grin

I take off bike parts until it doesn't function, then put on just enough so it functions
Re: And so it begins... [Re: Hillbilly bike] #642833
03/04/16 12:03 pm
03/04/16 12:03 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content

Well'ard Rocker
Lannis  Online Content

Well'ard Rocker

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
Originally Posted by Lannis

Lannis

I still drive junk not because I can't afford a new car/truck, I'm just too cheap to buy one grin

I tend to think not in terms of "I'm cheap" but "I have different priorities".

For example, because I've never paid a bill for a cell phone or text or smart phone or ringtones or GPS updates since such things became available 20 years or so ago, I have $36,000 or more in the bank that I can use for buying old bikes (or new bikes) that other people don't have because they spend $100 or $150 every month for 240 months on that other silly stuff.

Cheap? Smart, I say.

Lannis

Re: And so it begins... [Re: Lannis] #642838
03/04/16 12:40 pm
03/04/16 12:40 pm
Kent Garden of England
Kent Shaun Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Kent Shaun  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Kent Garden of England
BUT Lannis old chum, if I never forked out on these old wreaks of mine, I'd have perhaps $100, 000 in the bank, money don't buy ya happiness lad, I remember we used to live in a big old house, with holes in the roof... wink

Sent via my smart phone, from a truck, in a truckstop in the middle of France, where even the toilets are closed... mad

Sometimes lad, only sometimes mind, that monthly payment keeps one sane. Just sayin ' dude... grin

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Re: And so it begins... [Re: Hillbilly bike] #642853
03/04/16 2:53 pm
03/04/16 2:53 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline

DOPE
kevin roberts  Offline

DOPE

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike

Hmmm, of all the people I know my age, 68 , I'm the only one who who still works on cars/trucks/bikes or whatever needs to be fixed... Years ago there was a garage or gas station on every corner because of two reasons, the older vehicles needed more maintenance and a lot of people back then did not work on their own cars.

there's another interval of evolution involved as well. before the corner gas station, automotive technology was accessible enough that the local blacksmith was where you went for work on your ford. or you did it yourself at the side of the road. i've talked to old-timers (older than me, that is) who used to adjust the planetary bands of their fords at the tops of mountain passes each time they crossed.

the period you're talking about was post-war the mid 1980's, when the highest level of tune-up technology was an oscilloscope. in america, with engine computers hitting GM in 1981 and fuel injection replacing carburetors by 1988, we moved into the modern era of tuning a car with a computer, and relying on component replacement instead of component repair. the level of education required now to use these systems isn't something you can achieve without a specific program of continuing study.

woo

UPS is here.

th erace bike continues

gotta go

"Are bikes so nice as all that?" asked the mole, shyly...

"Nice? They're the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward on the handlebars. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about with bikes."
Re: And so it begins... [Re: kevin roberts] #642875
03/04/16 6:29 pm
03/04/16 6:29 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted by kevin

there's another interval of evolution involved as well. before the corner gas station, automotive technology was accessible enough that the local blacksmith was where you went for work on your ford. or you did it yourself at the side of the road. i've talked to old-timers (older than me, that is) who used to adjust the planetary bands of their fords at the tops of mountain passes each time they crossed.

The Model T was for any driver because it didn't have the balky non synchro transmission like all the other cars.. Like a lawnmower just push the pedal and go. But the T had a rather interesting and surprising complex ignition

[Linked Image]

I take off bike parts until it doesn't function, then put on just enough so it functions
Re: And so it begins... [Re: Kent Shaun] #642880
03/04/16 6:54 pm
03/04/16 6:54 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline

DOPE
kevin roberts  Offline

DOPE

ohio, usa
what's with the dual power source, magneto and battery?

just redundancy, or did one switch from one to the other based on driving need?

"Nice? They're the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward on the handlebars. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about with bikes."
Re: And so it begins... [Re: Kent Shaun] #642893
03/04/16 8:39 pm
03/04/16 8:39 pm
Pennsyltuckey
ricochetrider Offline

Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Offline

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
It's a whole different age now than it ever was before, so IMO some of these arguments about people doing this or that, and their abilities don't stand too strongly.

Sure, we ALL used to work on our cars and trucks, and probably still could IF we had a pile of old cars n trucks around. Most of us do not. Yet the people we denigrate who cannot work on modern vehicles any more than the rest of us, can probably program a computer, write code and implement it, sort a smart phone at 100 paces, in their sleep, with one hand, etc.

Maybe there's lots of stuff we can do that they can't but that shoe fits equally well on the other foot- they can do stuff we can't ever dream about figuring out.

So let's not get TOO high n mighty about it. wink At the end of the day, it all equals out.

Meanwhile, a mechanic at any modern shop ought to have the knowledge base and skill set to sort a modern vehicle. And his employer should damn well be sending him or her to classes and seminars to stay abreast of technological changes and updates.

As for "buying new" versus fixing stuff, back when, stuff was made to be fixed. No longer true. Modern stuff is made to expire. OF COURSE we throw it away, it was junk to begin with!!!
But hey- look on the bright side: it keeps people working, even if they're all CHINESE.

The truth is that there really IS a whole lot of stuff, across the spectrum, being made and built today that WILL hold up, that CAN be fixed or repaired when broken.... Unfortunately, damn few of us can afford any of it. THAT stuff will be the collectible and heirloom stuff of the future. For some people, anyway.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 03/04/16 8:47 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: And so it begins... [Re: kevin roberts] #642897
03/04/16 9:13 pm
03/04/16 9:13 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

what's with the dual power source, magneto and battery?

just redundancy, or did one switch from one to the other based on driving need?

I'm no Model T expert, but.I believe the engine is started on the dry cell batteries than switched over to the flywheel magneto/generator. Notice there's no breaker points...

Re: And so it begins... [Re: Kent Shaun] #642901
03/04/16 9:37 pm
03/04/16 9:37 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline

DOPE
kevin roberts  Offline

DOPE

ohio, usa
i did notice. only those weird double contacts on the coils.

it looks like the electrical path is backwards, with the coils energizing the distributor.

Re: And so it begins... [Re: ricochetrider] #642902
03/04/16 9:43 pm
03/04/16 9:43 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline

DOPE
kevin roberts  Offline

DOPE

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by ricochetrider

Meanwhile, a mechanic at any modern shop ought to have the knowledge base and skill set to sort a modern vehicle. And his employer should damn well be sending him or her to classes and seminars to stay abreast of technological changes and updates.

the kicker is that we can take advantage of the system as well. i could never afford an oscilloscope, but i can pull my own codes myself with something that cost me $25:

[Linked Image]

this won't tell me how to solve the problem, but it will tell me what the computer detects that is out of sorts.

Re: And so it begins... [Re: kevin roberts] #642904
03/04/16 9:57 pm
03/04/16 9:57 pm
Pacific northwest
Q
quinten Offline
BritBike Forum member
quinten  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Q

Pacific northwest
i did notice. only those weird double contacts on the coils.

it looks like the electrical path is backwards, with the coils energizing the distributor.

Each individual 'tembler-coil' https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trembler_coil
is only excited
when the timer contact (distributor)
Is monetarily made .

[Linked Image]

Re: And so it begins... [Re: quinten] #642915
03/05/16 12:46 am
03/05/16 12:46 am
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline

DOPE
kevin roberts  Offline

DOPE

ohio, usa
interesting. i'd never known they worked like that.

i do remember a biologist many years ago using a model T coil to power an electric fence to sample small mammal populations. he set up a sampling area and used the coil to electrocute anything that tried to cross in or out. worked better than traps because no bait was required.

Re: And so it begins... [Re: Kent Shaun] #642931
03/05/16 7:11 am
03/05/16 7:11 am
NL
G
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member
G

NL
to sample small mammal populations. he set up a sampling area and used the coil to electrocute

He wanted to count them so he killed them and counted the corpses? confused
Weird people, biologists. sick
I bet a technician would have invented a friendlier device. wink

Ger B

Re: And so it begins... [Re: Ger B] #642941
03/05/16 9:44 am
03/05/16 9:44 am
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline

DOPE
kevin roberts  Offline

DOPE

ohio, usa
you have it exactly right, ger

traditional ornithologists always carried a shot gun, and traditional mammalogists set off to do their field work with burlap bags full of Museum Special snap traps. electrocution fit right in.

lots of death in the old style study of life.

Re: And so it begins... [Re: kevin roberts] #642951
03/05/16 10:33 am
03/05/16 10:33 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

you have it exactly right, ger

traditional ornithologists always carried a shot gun, and traditional mammalogists set off to do their field work with burlap bags full of Museum Special snap traps. electrocution fit right in.

lots of death in the old style study of life.

Yeah, Audubon's beautiful detailed illustrations were of dead birds. Earnest Seton was a 1900's noted zoologist/ adventurer who killed animals to make observations. Seton however did respect the animals unique place in nature.

Re: And so it begins... [Re: kevin roberts] #642954
03/05/16 10:37 am
03/05/16 10:37 am
Kent Garden of England
Kent Shaun Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Kent Shaun  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Kent Garden of England
Sorry lads, I've been up since midnight, so perhaps that's it. But tell me...?

What's killing animals, got to do with me getting the A10 back on the road.. crazy

Just sayin' dudes, bless all your little hearts... grin

Hope to be killing something in Ole Virginny when I get there, hope to have a loaded Magnum .44 Desert Eagle, I tells ya, them bloody squirrels won't know what hit em... laughing

Last edited by Kent Shaun; 03/05/16 10:37 am.

Re: And so it begins... [Re: Kent Shaun] #642992
03/05/16 6:58 pm
03/05/16 6:58 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content

Well'ard Rocker
Lannis  Online Content

Well'ard Rocker

Central Virginia

Hope to be killing something in Ole Virginny when I get there, hope to have a loaded Magnum .44 Desert Eagle, I tells ya, them bloody squirrels won't know what hit em... laughing

Come to think of it, we're going to be very careful what sort of gun you have and what you're planning on shooting with it!! Wouldn't be much left of a squirrel if you had your way .... !!

Lannis

Re: And so it begins... [Re: Lannis] #643020
03/06/16 4:02 am
03/06/16 4:02 am
Kent Garden of England
Kent Shaun Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Kent Shaun  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Kent Garden of England
Lannis lad, what about a Thompson Sub machine gun, we'd get us a FEAST of squirrels with one of them buggers lad... :bigt

Thinking about it lad, I HOPE them squirrels are Gluten free, might have Wade there with us by then, and he's got *Problems* seems he's a fussy eater, one of the Australians we met in NZ said that... laughing

What with him and Gluten, and me with me new Chilli troubles, might be an idea to fit a Bidet.. wink laughing

Re: And so it begins... [Re: Kent Shaun] #643023
03/06/16 5:16 am
03/06/16 5:16 am
OZ
Triless Offline
BritBike Forum member
Triless  Offline
BritBike Forum member

OZ
You know, you blokes should go into the film business, and star in your own feature! You could call it " Loosing it in Old Virginity ". Academy Award stuff possibly !

Re: And so it begins... [Re: Triless] #643040
03/06/16 8:08 am
03/06/16 8:08 am
Kent Garden of England
Kent Shaun Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Kent Shaun  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Kent Garden of England
Triless lad, don't want to go into the films, wouldn't be able to ride me bikes then lad. Better still, I'll WRITE a film... :bigt

Lannis will be played by Danny DeVito, and my part is played by that Belgium muscle man bloke. Why lad, I'd even hire out the A10 for them to use, just sorted out all them stupid issues, and been out in the Sun shine. SHOULD'VE been on a VMCC ride out today, but I wanted to get the bike sorted. And as it's Mum's day over here, all me mates were out doing their thang.. frown

Got to say, and I know I've said it before, but that A10 is a mighty fine machine, purrs like a kitten it does, and fires right up. Always good when I'm at the petrol station, and people are watching... grin

Re: And so it begins... [Re: Kent Shaun] #643049
03/06/16 9:20 am
03/06/16 9:20 am
Ontario Canada
Don Leaming Offline
BritBike Forum member
Don Leaming  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ontario Canada
You to be played by a foreign star? ... No. I did NOT say porn star!!
I would have thought you might cast Daniel Craig or maybe, ... to be closer to you in real life, that lord of the manor, Hugh Bonneville. ... No wait! ... He would be a Triumph man wouldn't he.
I dunno. ... Maybe somebody else has a better British "character" actor who would be you in the movies.
Cheers
Don

Triless lad, Better still, I'll WRITE a film...
... and my part is played by that Belgium muscle man bloke.

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Re: And so it begins... [Re: Don Leaming] #643052
03/06/16 9:41 am
03/06/16 9:41 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content

Well'ard Rocker
Lannis  Online Content

Well'ard Rocker

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by Don Leaming
You to be played by a foreign star? ... No. I did NOT say porn star!!
I would have thought you might cast Daniel Craig or maybe, ... to be closer to you in real life, that lord of the manor, Hugh Bonneville. ... No wait! ... He would be a Triumph man wouldn't he.
I dunno. ... Maybe somebody else has a better British "character" actor who would be you in the movies.

Geoffrey Hughes (R.I.P.). With a Fulton-Hogan cap, that'd be Shaun....

Lannis

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership