BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Cheyenne
Cheyenne
Solebury,Pennsylvania, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
52 registered members (AML), 295 guests, and 367 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Juan Cisneros, Willie, JohnS, Micke, Speedi594
10338 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 120
reverb 71
DavidP 70
Popular Topics(Views)
663,022 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,724
Posts657,943
Members10,338
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640605
02/18/16 12:48 pm
02/18/16 12:48 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi James,

Originally Posted By JagLite
I find it interesting that I can't find much online from people using the Electrex system. Good or bad. I didn't get the idea that it is a new product. But the low 65w power would sure limit how many people would want it.

Hmmm ... I remembered I contributed to another thread about Electrex, put the word into the Forum Search and came up with several pages of posts mentioning it. I didn't go through all of them but the aforementioned thread ends with this, which isn't happy, but note Forum sponsor Peter Quick is a US agent, you might want to contact him for the latest?

I will be using LED lights, will not be riding after dark,

LED lights are good but, from personal first-hand experience, I always try to out-think Murphy and Sodde; in your place, I'd still likely pay for and fit a "Made In England" (pre-Wassell Lucas as was) high-output 3-phase alternator.

I never ride after dark? I've converted a little power to heat. Otoh, one day my riding buddy has a particularly knotty breakdown, that takes a long while to fix, into dusk or darkness? I just turn on the lights and finish the ride, no worries. bigt

Hth.

Regards,

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640625
02/18/16 2:20 pm
02/18/16 2:20 pm
Boston, Massachusetts
J
John Healy Online content

BritBike Forum member
John Healy  Online Content

BritBike Forum member
J
Boston, Massachusetts
James: If you have a bad leg, and starting is an issue, I would get my self a pair of low-compression pistons. You will loose a bit of low end torque, but will be able to ride the bike and know that you will be able to get home if it stalls in the woods.

If you have a fixed budget I would get a new alternator rotor before anything. No magnetic lines of force, or less than when it was made, the alternator output will suffer. Your happiness using this motorcycle with any one of the electronics ignitions hinges on the condition of the alternator rotor (and to a much lessor extent the stator as they rarely fail).

From over 35 years of selling, and warrantying electronic ignitions, a lot of the failures you see with ANY one of the available electronic ignitions can be traced to some other component in the electrical system or installation. Tracking our failure rate over the years we suffer a failure of less than 1%. While we get back more than that for suspected failure most of the returns are working as designed. As Richard Whatley is fond of saying: "Installing an electronic ignition is the first day of updating your electrical system."

You will see more people having problems with Boyer kits because of the amount of units in use. We have sold over a 1,000 kits per year for these many years, and we are just one of several world wide distributors. We also sell Pazon and TriSpark units. It will be a long time before they have as many units in the field as Boyer. From a recent thread you can see that it isn't just Boyer that experiences failures - for what ever reason. One of the real reasons Boyer became so popular in the US is Ernie Bransden set up two distributors with the ability to warranty a unit without having to return it to the UK for testing. This means I can get a box in for testing and send out a replacement out the same day. I have no such privileges with the other 4 companies I buy electronic ignitions from. Surprising after fixing in house the pick-up plate soldering the wire connections to the plate (which replaced the studs and nuts to secure the wires) I have had an almost zero failure rate for Sparx units (we have sold over 2,000).

Unless you have a need for a unit that delivers a high voltage spark, - high compression 11 to 1 or more, I would not choose one of the high tech units. They offer little benefit over the dwell units and suffer more problems on average than the older analog technology. For example if a coil fails with one of these pulse ignitions it takes the unit with it. They are also much more sensitive to RF from the spark plugs/wires. If the power gets interrupted the box has to go through a "reboot" leaving you coasting to the side of the road before you can start the motorcycle again.

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: Stuart] #640671
02/18/16 5:55 pm
02/18/16 5:55 pm
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
JagLite Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
JagLite  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Originally Posted By Stuart
Hi James,

I find it interesting that I can't find much online from people using the Electrex system. Good or bad. I didn't get the idea that it is a new product. But the low 65w power would sure limit how many people would want it.

Hmmm ... I remembered I contributed to another thread about Electrex, put the word into the Forum Search and came up with several pages of posts mentioning it. I didn't go through all of them but the aforementioned thread ends with this, which isn't happy, but note Forum sponsor Peter Quick is a US agent, you might want to contact him for the latest?

I will be using LED lights, will not be riding after dark,

LED lights are good but, from personal first-hand experience, I always try to out-think Murphy and Sodde; in your place, I'd still likely pay for and fit a "Made In England" (pre-Wassell Lucas as was) high-output 3-phase alternator.

I never ride after dark? I've converted a little power to heat. Otoh, one day my riding buddy has a particularly knotty breakdown, that takes a long while to fix, into dusk or darkness? I just turn on the lights and finish the ride, no worries. bigt

Hth.

Regards,

Yes, I did find a few threads where the Electrex system is mentioned but not enough to formulate an informed opinion on.
I had not found the one you linked though and it was probably the most informative. Thanks!

I won't be riding my Rickman very much, or very far away from my house.
It will be on display 95% of the time either in the house (very understanding wife) or in my shop.
Trail riding I do on either my DR 650 or TW 200, both have magic buttons of course.
Both are street legal too but if I am going riding out of town I put them on my trailer.

Riding at dusk?
I live in the land of the midnight sun...

The Rickman is a bike I have wanted to build since I first saw one in '68 so it is more "art" than a regularly ridden machine.
I have a build thread for it on AdvRider where I spend most of my limited online time, if you want to take a look:
Rickman Metisse MkIII

James
Rickman MkIII Scrambler with TR6C power (under construction)
"When Dinosaurs Roamed the Land and Thunder Shook the Ground...
The Rickman Metisse ruled them all"
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: John Healy] #640675
02/18/16 6:13 pm
02/18/16 6:13 pm
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
JagLite Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
JagLite  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Originally Posted By John Healy
James: If you have a bad leg, and starting is an issue, I would get my self a pair of low-compression pistons. You will loose a bit of low end torque, but will be able to ride the bike and know that you will be able to get home if it stalls in the woods.

If you have a fixed budget I would get a new alternator rotor before anything. No magnetic lines of force, or less than when it was made, the alternator output will suffer. Your happiness using this motorcycle with any one of the electronics ignitions hinges on the condition of the alternator rotor (and to a much lessor extent the stator as they rarely fail).

From over 35 years of selling, and warrantying electronic ignitions, a lot of the failures you see with ANY one of the available electronic ignitions can be traced to some other component in the electrical system or installation. Tracking our failure rate over the years we suffer a failure of less than 1%. While we get back more than that for suspected failure most of the returns are working as designed. As Richard Whatley is fond of saying: "Installing an electronic ignition is the first day of updating your electrical system."

You will see more people having problems with Boyer kits because of the amount of units in use. We have sold over a 1,000 kits per year for these many years, and we are just one of several world wide distributors. We also sell Pazon and TriSpark units. It will be a long time before they have as many units in the field as Boyer. From a recent thread you can see that it isn't just Boyer that experiences failures - for what ever reason. One of the real reasons Boyer became so popular in the US is Ernie Bransden set up two distributors with the ability to warranty a unit without having to return it to the UK for testing. This means I can get a box in for testing and send out a replacement out the same day. I have no such privileges with the other 4 companies I buy electronic ignitions from. Surprising after fixing in house the pick-up plate soldering the wire connections to the plate (which replaced the studs and nuts to secure the wires) I have had an almost zero failure rate for Sparx units (we have sold over 2,000).

Unless you have a need for a unit that delivers a high voltage spark, - high compression 11 to 1 or more, I would not choose one of the high tech units. They offer little benefit over the dwell units and suffer more problems on average than the older analog technology. For example if a coil fails with one of these pulse ignitions it takes the unit with it. They are also much more sensitive to RF from the spark plugs/wires. If the power gets interrupted the box has to go through a "reboot" leaving you coasting to the side of the road before you can start the motorcycle again.

Excellent information John! Thank you sir!
Uh, what's a Sparx? blush

Since I just put new standard (.20 over) pistons in the engine I will see how hard, or easy, (it could happen!) it is to start before I consider rebuilding it.

Yes, fixed budget (since I broke it long ago on this project) but I don't want to end up buying twice.
Again...

I hadn't considered the rotor going bad.
Is that something I can test?
See how much weight the magnets can pick up or something?

This will be the start of my electrical system for sure since there is NO electrical system yet. help

The dual sport kits I have looked at come with everything I need (according to them) and can run off AC or DC depending on if the bike has a lighting capability.

I don't feel the need to buy more bells and fog horns than I need for my use. I don't see that I will be racing in the over 65 group on the mx track. crazy

I rarely rev any of my bikes (or my Miata) out, and spend most of my riding in the 2,500-3,500 rpm range when accelerating, and much lower when just putting along on road or trail. Actually my favorite riding is on dirt roads and I can definitely enjoy smelling the roses at the speed I like to go. My need for speed passed by long ago. cool

With 35 years of dealing with ignitions it sounds like your shop is one I should be aware of.
Uh, what is it?

Thanks! bigt

James
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640691
02/18/16 8:21 pm
02/18/16 8:21 pm
Bishop, Calif.
D
desco Online content
BritBike Forum member
desco  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
D
Bishop, Calif.
Coventry Spares and John doesn't do retail. Try the sponsors on this page and find one you like. I don't know what your other two bikes are but if you ride that Triumph around at those RPM's and lower you're probably going to burn a hole in one of those new pistons.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640715
02/18/16 11:38 pm
02/18/16 11:38 pm
Back on the mainland!
JubeePrince Offline

Life member
JubeePrince  Offline

Life member
Back on the mainland!

Hi James:

Quick and dirty test: put a large screwdriver on a magnet of the alternator and lift the alternator off the bench. If successful, it's good!

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: desco] #640720
02/19/16 1:14 am
02/19/16 1:14 am
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
JagLite Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
JagLite  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Originally Posted By desco
Coventry Spares and John doesn't do retail. Try the sponsors on this page and find one you like. I don't know what your other two bikes are but if you ride that Triumph around at those RPM's and lower you're probably going to burn a hole in one of those new pistons.

Thanks, I will check the sponsor vendors out.

Hmmmm, the Triumph engine prefers higher revs to be happy?
Well, if I have to I will keep it singing. bigt
That reminds me that I am still looking at various short mufflers to cut the sound down some.

Other bikes:
05 VTX 1800 project reverse trike
99 Drifter 1500 (long range rider)
02 DR 650 dual sport (adventures)
02 DR 650 street tracker (hot rod)
02 TW 200 low and slow trail bike
09 V-Strom 650 (under construction adventure bike)
91 VX 800 street bike
98 XR 200 play bike
97 XR 80 pit bike
and assorted parts bikes...

So the Rickman won't get ridden much, just a few times each summer on nice days.
I will enter it in our annual motorcycle show this year.

James
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JubeePrince] #640721
02/19/16 1:18 am
02/19/16 1:18 am
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
JagLite Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
JagLite  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Originally Posted By JubeePrince

Hi James:

Quick and dirty test: put a large screwdriver on a magnet of the alternator and lift the alternator off the bench. If successful, it's good!

Steve

Ah, thanks...

It's good then. bigt

I had to fight to get bolts and wrenches off of it when it would grab hold of them! mad

James
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640722
02/19/16 1:24 am
02/19/16 1:24 am
South cone
R
reverb Offline
BritBike Forum member
reverb  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
South cone
...after reading all these I wonder how big is the enhance with all those digital things regarding stock ignition, at least in the later T140s...

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640741
02/19/16 5:28 am
02/19/16 5:28 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi James,

what's a Sparx?

Sparx make pattern Lucas parts for our old heaps - http://www.tri-corengland.com/acatalog/Sparx-electrics.html; there are US retailers.

I rarely rev any of my bikes (or my Miata) out, and spend most of my riding in the 2,500-3,500 rpm range when accelerating, and much lower when just putting along on road or trail. Actually my favorite riding is on dirt roads and I can definitely enjoy smelling the roses at the speed I like to go.

Then you need to bear the following in mind when deciding on electrics:-

. The original alternator on your bike was a Lucas RM21, that Lucas rated for 120 Watts/10.5 Amps @ 5,000 rpm.

. Lucas also advertised that this type of alternator - two wires from the stator and is known as 'single-phase' - produces 75% of rated (i.e. 90W/7.875A) @ 2,400 rpm. Generating capacity drops quickly at lower rpm. frown

. In an earlier post, I mentioned the "low-output version of the 3-phase RM24" - these have three wires from the stator, have the same 120 Watts/10.5 Amps @ 5,000 rpm rating as the original single-phase but Lucas advertised that they produce 85% of rated (i.e. 102W/8.925A) @ 2,400 rpm.

. I've also mentioned that I use "high-output 3-phase" - these were rated by Lucas for 180 Watts/14.5 Amps @ 5,000 rpm; their advantage is, at lower rpm (e.g. the 85% of rated @ 2,400 rpm) is the higher output translates to more actual Watts/Amps (153W/12.325A) ... and almost no worry about how long the engine's been at low rpm. bigt

As you can see from the above, claims by the pattern alternator makers (Sparx and Wassell) of much higher Watts and Amps are all advertising puff because an accompanying rpm number is never quoted. Watts/Amps vs. rpm isn't linear but the faster you spin the alternator rotor, the more Watts/Amps are produced; fine if you spin the rotor @ 10,000 rpm? grin

So, if you're still considering the Electrex, note its advertised "65W" generating capacity is also without an accompanying rpm figure. frown

Finally here, note I've mentioned "Lucas" a lot and, when you look around the Forum, you'll see regular ads. for "Genuine Lucas". Unfortunately, these are parts made and advertised by Wassell, which has obtained a licence from the "Lucas" trade-marks owner, but is filling the boxes with the same old tat it's always made. frown

In addition, Wassell appears to have ensured that other makers of Lucas pattern parts, including one British maker/supplier of high-quality ones, cannot advertise using the "Lucas" name. frown However, I've been advised by one dealer that, if you ask for "Made In England" parts, the rotors and stators are made by the said British maker/supplier; bigt but caveat emptor.

Hth.

Regards,

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640755
02/19/16 10:17 am
02/19/16 10:17 am
Quebec, Canada
Transgarp Offline
BritBike Forum member
Transgarp  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Quebec, Canada
I burned two Boyer MkIII in 3 years during the Eighties'
I rolled Boyer Micro Power without problem during the Nineties' until 2006
Only Pazon Smart-Fire is adequate for my Triumph T120 dual plug by cylinder since 2006

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640762
02/19/16 10:33 am
02/19/16 10:33 am
Quebec, Canada
Transgarp Offline
BritBike Forum member
Transgarp  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Quebec, Canada
Click on this link for the real consumption of different ignition system
Ignition in bottom on the menu

http://transgarp.dyndns.org/xls/British_Electrical_System.htm

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640764
02/19/16 10:43 am
02/19/16 10:43 am
Boston, Massachusetts
J
John Healy Online content

BritBike Forum member
John Healy  Online Content

BritBike Forum member
J
Boston, Massachusetts
Quote:
So the Rickman won't get ridden much, just a few times each summer on nice days.
I will enter it in our annual motorcycle show this year.

You present a conundrum many vintage bike owners face. It can be boiled down to lack of use. The people who will be the most happy with an electronic ignition will be people who use their bike all the time. This is because there is a much better chance the battery will remain in good working order. The chances an owner will see any of the advantages of an electronic ignition on those occasional rides will be more than offset by the problems insuring he maintains the battery.

Some people who ride a lot, but swap around a small "herd" of vintage bikes, keep one battery. They keep it on a charger/tender when not in use and swap it around the bikes he is using insuring it stays in tip-top condition.

An electronic ignition in a bike with a failed, or failing, battery is a rolling problem. Better make sure your cell phone battery is charged before you leave the house. Just like your phone turns into a brick when the battery is dead your Rickman will turn into a work of art.

IMHO this is one reason you MIGHT consider abandoning any thoughts of an electronic ignition and locate a good set of points!!!!!!

OR select a system where you do not need a battery. This would include a proven alternator rotor (you would need more than the screw driver test) and a capacitor, either separately or included in the regulator. This way you could use either an analog EI, points or abandon all of the stock stuff and install one of the remote coil magnetos you have been talking about.

The one caveate is your leg, and starting and compression is the best answer for that problem.
Hope this makes sense.
John

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640767
02/19/16 11:20 am
02/19/16 11:20 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content

Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member
Central Virginia
On my Norton MkIII, I've been happy with the points the past couple years, except that I keep having the "won't come back down to idle" issue, which is generally indicative of weak AAU springs or some sort of binding.

Taken out of the bike, in my hand, the AAU weights seem to snap back to idle position pretty good, the unit is perfectly slick and free, but with the AAU IN the bike, if you twist it to full advance, it won't return to the idle position.

I was thinking about maybe some heavy-duty springs for the AAU, but in talking with bill50cal, he opined that I'll just be fooling with that AAU and the problems that it has dealing with the motion of a cam chain, getting worn, getting weak, and why not just go ahead and put an EI in it and be done?

I went to a Boyer on my '69 Firebird 11 years ago, and it's never missed a spark since, never needs tuning, so I figure I'll do the same for the Norton even though I don't mind cleaning and setting points, but I DO want the bike running right.

So I called Frank at "Clubman Racing". (Only call Frank if you've got time to talk, he's quite a conversationalist!). He sells Boyer, TriSpark, Wassell, and Pazon ignitions, and I told him my application, the way I use the bike, the state of the charging system, etc etc and after some discussion we agreed that a Pazon would be the way to go. Sort of "unspoken" in there was that we'd both like the unit that he's had fewest "returns" on, and that would sort of be the Pazon.

The Tri-Spark was tempting because the whole shooting match fits under the points cover, there's no separate "module" to find a place for, but there's a hint that having all the complexity in the hot points cavity might not be the best thing, so anyhow went with Pazon.

So that's my EI story and I'm stickin' to it!

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640771
02/19/16 12:35 pm
02/19/16 12:35 pm
New Jersey USA
Tridentman Online content

BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member
New Jersey USA
I share my riding between a "small herd" of classic bikes to use Johns terminology.
I have mostly electronic ignitions fitted---points were good but the questionable quality of new sets of points makes points a non starter (pun intended) for me.
I buy good batteries and fit a Battery Tender flying lead to each bike.
I then keep all the bikes batteries on Battery Tenders.
Works very well.
The only negative is the one off cost of the Battery Tenders---I think I have ten of them.
However you can usually get deals for quantities and I noticed a few months ago that Costco stock them at a good price.
Just my two centsworth.

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640779
02/19/16 2:03 pm
02/19/16 2:03 pm
San Francisco Bay Area
M
MarksterTT Offline
BritBike Forum member
MarksterTT  Offline
BritBike Forum member
M
San Francisco Bay Area
Hmmm, I was looking to purchase a "Lucas" 3 phase stator/rotor for my project bike but from Stuarts post, understand that Lucas really isn't and that one should ask for a 'made in England' unit. Does anyone know what name this supplier goes by?

James, I had an opportunity back in the good old days to blast around on a friends Rickman like yours, he bought the entire rolling kit and installed his TR6 engine with 750 Chantland kit, H&C torque cams and 34mm mikuni, what a blast to ride. Open the throttle at any rpm, throw the rear out and blast glorious plumes of desert and what a sound. You really ought to consider riding that thing more than less, just me but I'd dual sport that thing in a heart beat...Mark

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640781
02/19/16 2:38 pm
02/19/16 2:38 pm
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Maui Hawaii
When it comes to upgrading your charging system, the cheapest and best way is to reduce the load on it by buying and installing a LED headlight and other bulbs (if you want). Just doing the headlight allows me to run lights on continuously on the highway or town and never worry about the battery going dead ever again.
And with the sealed AGM batteries I now use, I don't even need to charge the battery between rides which are about a month at longest (having four bikes means some of them don't get ridden enough).

Cheers,

Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640782
02/19/16 2:42 pm
02/19/16 2:42 pm
Sunny Sussex, UK
tbird649 Offline
BritBike Forum member
tbird649  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Sunny Sussex, UK
My 2 pence. I have 2 Triumphs, one with Pazon and a small battery, one off roader with Boyer, no battery but Boyer powerbox. No problems with either. Got a mate who fitted Electrex, had a problem, Electrex were not very interested. Im sure they dont normally give problems, but its nice to get a bit of service if you do get troubles.

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: MarksterTT] #640810
02/19/16 5:51 pm
02/19/16 5:51 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi Mark,

Originally Posted By MarksterTT
'made in England' unit. Does anyone know what name this supplier goes by?

Afaik, it wouldn't help you as, if it's the supplier I think it is, they supply whichever Britbike parts wholesaler (Harris, Velocette, etc.) fronts up the cash for a batch of parts; the wholesaler then supplies retailers in the normal way. So you approach a retailer as you would for any part, just apparently you ask for a 'Made In England' part.

Sorry to sound mysterious, it's just only one dealer has advised this; if you try it, perhaps you could post to the Forum how you get on? Btw, if you don't get any joy from US dealers, try British dealer and occasional Forum poster Grin.

Hth.

Regards,

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: Stuart] #640855
02/20/16 2:04 am
02/20/16 2:04 am
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
JagLite Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
JagLite  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Great information and suggestions mates.

I will be installing a dual sport kit so that I can ride it without needing to put it on a trailer for an hour drive out of town.

Most of my riding time is a couple hours after work and a few hours on Sat and/or Sunday afternoons. I often ride one bike for an hour and return to the house to switch to another bike for an hour... All my bikes are are great fun to ride.

I currently have 3 Battery Tenders always on and alternate them every couple days so all batteries are kept in top shape. All my bikes have the pigtails attached to make it simple to keep them charged up.

How much I ride my Rickman will be fun to find out!

James
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640934
02/20/16 5:05 pm
02/20/16 5:05 pm
San Francisco Bay Area
M
MarksterTT Offline
BritBike Forum member
MarksterTT  Offline
BritBike Forum member
M
San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks for input Stuart, will definitely ask for "Made in England" and see what happens.

James, no experience yet but I purchased a Pazon smartfire for my project bike. I liked the feature of an adjustable rev limiter so will mount the box in a location where I can easily reach the button an tweek it down to reset, just in case I get weak and let someone else ride it...Mark

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640966
02/20/16 7:31 pm
02/20/16 7:31 pm
Farmington,Connecticut,USA
JBMorris Offline
BritBike Forum member
JBMorris  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Farmington,Connecticut,USA
further to the TriSpark saga, 'had some problems- intermittent - while 2 years in using it.
as it turns out, one of the two 6 volt coils sourced along with the kit proved to be bad.
'sent a memo to 'his nibs' & got this reply:

Quote:
Sorry to hear you have this coil problem. I donít sell those particular coils any more after too many problems. The ones we sell now are made to a higher standard and are a known quantity as far as reliability goes. You may be able to get some of our coils from MAP cycle in florida or direct from our website. Freight for 2 coils is about $35 AUD

Kind regards,

Stephen Kelly

1978 Bonneville T140V PX
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #641355
02/23/16 7:06 am
02/23/16 7:06 am
QLD, Australia
R
RetroRod Offline
BritBike Forum member
RetroRod  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
QLD, Australia
Just FYI, the EI topic has recently had an airing over at TriumphRat classic forums. No one could agree there either, but makes good reading. The Pazon was well received there also, as I recall. smile

I have one, and had it fail after 12k miles and 7 years, but the customer service there is first rate. Something to consider in any purchase. RR

Last edited by RetroRod; 02/23/16 7:09 am.

'72 Bonneville
"He who praises you for what you lack wishes to take from you what you have." - Don Juan Manuel
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: RetroRod] #641510
02/24/16 11:38 am
02/24/16 11:38 am
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
JagLite Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
JagLite  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Originally Posted By RetroRod
Just FYI, the EI topic has recently had an airing over at TriumphRat classic forums. No one could agree there either, but makes good reading. The Pazon was well received there also, as I recall. smile

I have one, and had it fail after 12k miles and 7 years, but the customer service there is first rate. Something to consider in any purchase. RR

Thanks!
Customer service is critical so that is good to hear.
Unfortunately no product is perfect and there will always be a percentage of problems.

James
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership