BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
maylar
maylar
Connecticut
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
31 registered members (AngloBike), 236 guests, and 445 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Biscuits, DT 150, DamienE, vietnammotorbike, Lennart Liljedah
10291 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 93
Lannis 66
Mori55 64
Popular Topics(Views)
638,107 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,396
Posts654,359
Members10,291
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? #640353
02/16/16 1:40 pm
02/16/16 1:40 pm
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
JagLite Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
JagLite  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
The time has come to decide on which electronic ignition to buy for my Triumph powered Rickman Metisse MkIII Scrambler project.

I have rebuilt the '71 TR6C engine from the sludge tube out.
(My first ever complete engine rebuild)

I know there are several good choices for a completely new and modern ignition/lighting system so I am looking for comments from those with personal experience. Ideally from those of you who have experience with both systems. But also your experience with either. And if you had any problems, how good was the customer service to help resolve the trouble?

Pazon has both the Sure-Fire and Altair systems.
For my needs I don't know which would be best and I have not contacted them yet for their recommendation.

Elextrex has one that would work for both ignition and lighting.

I have been searching and reading posts about electronic systems.
They have mostly been about problems with Boyer and Tri-Spark.
I have ruled out the Boyer system and have put Tri-Spark at the bottom of my short list.

I am not looking for the most hp from the engine, I want an ignition system that makes the bike as easy as possible to start, is reliable and smooth running. I will be installing a street legal lighting system and a very small battery. I have other bikes to ride so this one will be gently ridden on special occasions, never raced.

The cost is about the same for both Electrex and Pazon so that is not an issue.

Thanks for reading and what do you say?

If there are already good discussions about this could you please provide a link(s)?
My searching didn't find it(them)

James
Rickman MkIII Scrambler with TR6C power (under construction)
"When Dinosaurs Roamed the Land and Thunder Shook the Ground...
The Rickman Metisse ruled them all"
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640357
02/16/16 2:04 pm
02/16/16 2:04 pm
Asheville, NC
Mike Baker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mike Baker  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Asheville, NC
Had a 3 year old Pazon go bad last summer. Have a 15 year old Boyer that's going strong. Next one for me will be a Boyer.
Mike

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640366
02/16/16 3:11 pm
02/16/16 3:11 pm
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Maui Hawaii
I think in order of quality the Tri-spark comes in first. That comes from second hand testimonials here and from folks I know, since I've never used one. Then the Pazon and that is from first hand experience. In construction very much like a Boyer although a bit more robust, in the 7.5 year warranty, a more appropriate advance curve for our bikes and the fact that it is more compatible with our typically weak charging systems. Pazon went head to head with the Boyer and whupped them good first round.

Admittedly, I've never popped for the more expensive versions of the Boyer so no advice there....

Cheers,

Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640367
02/16/16 3:18 pm
02/16/16 3:18 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi James,

It would help if you were clearer about what you're trying to achieve and, apart from the Pazons, actual links to the things you're looking at?

For instance, you've posted "new and modern ignition/lighting system"; do you mean a combined system, or separate alternator, reg./rec. and electronic ignition? Because afaik, Electrex is the only combined system; any other is e.i. only and will require battery and/or alternator and reg./rec. to power the e.i.; moreover, if you want to run batteryless, you'll need something like a Boyer-Bransden Power Box, not just any reg./rec.

Otoh, the Electrex power generation is quite low compared to any separate alternator; if you want to do much riding in actual darkness, you'd have to give thought to LED 'bulbs' and boards.

Regards,

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640370
02/16/16 4:20 pm
02/16/16 4:20 pm
New Jersey
Keane Lucas Offline

BritBike Forum member
Keane Lucas  Offline

BritBike Forum member
New Jersey

1969 BSA A65T w/A70 engine
1970 Royal Enfield Interceptor S ll
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: Stuart] #640377
02/16/16 6:06 pm
02/16/16 6:06 pm
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
JagLite Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
JagLite  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Originally Posted By Stuart
Hi James,

It would help if you were clearer about what you're trying to achieve and, apart from the Pazons, actual links to the things you're looking at?

For instance, you've posted "new and modern ignition/lighting system"; do you mean a combined system, or separate alternator, reg./rec. and electronic ignition? Because afaik, Electrex is the only combined system; any other is e.i. only and will require battery and/or alternator and reg./rec. to power the e.i.; moreover, if you want to run batteryless, you'll need something like a Boyer-Bransden Power Box, not just any reg./rec.

Otoh, the Electrex power generation is quite low compared to any separate alternator; if you want to do much riding in actual darkness, you'd have to give thought to LED 'bulbs' and boards.

Regards,

Ah, good point!
Here is the Electrex:
http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/STK-102D_-_Ignition_Alternator_Kit.html#tab_aSTK_2d102D_2

And the Pazon:
http://www.pazon.com/ignition-system/sure-fire-british-twin-12volt.html
http://www.pazon.com/ignition-system/altair-twin
With the Pazon systems I would also get the rec/reg and coil, etc

The Tri-Spark info is not as good but it looks from this that I use my stock Lucas rotor and stator and would need to get the coil and other stuff to make a complete system:
http://www.trispark.com.au/images/Classic%20Twin2%20A4.pdf
http://www.trispark.com.au/home/purchase

I will not need much lighting power since I won't be riding after dark.
During the summer, it is light a long time here in Alaska.

James
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: Mike Baker] #640378
02/16/16 6:07 pm
02/16/16 6:07 pm
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
JagLite Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
JagLite  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Originally Posted By mblab
Had a 3 year old Pazon go bad last summer. Have a 15 year old Boyer that's going strong. Next one for me will be a Boyer.
Mike

What about their 7.5 year warranty?

James
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: Keane Lucas] #640379
02/16/16 6:10 pm
02/16/16 6:10 pm
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
JagLite Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
JagLite  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Anchorage, Alaska, USA

Thanks
I won't be using that!

James
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640408
02/16/16 11:50 pm
02/16/16 11:50 pm
New Jersey USA
Tridentman Offline

BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Offline

BritBike Forum member
New Jersey USA
I have fitted 8-9 Pazon Surefires to bikes owned by me and friends.
No problems at all on the twins--in fact very clear instructions and a well made piece of kit.
On the BSA B50 single I fitted it to there were problems starting.
I discussed the problem with Andy at Pazon (nice very knowledgeable guy)and he supplied me with a special box which triggered at the first switching rather than the second (needed on a B50 because of the low geared kickstarter).
So that is my experience---overall very impressed with the units and the back up service.
Hope my experience helps you in making your decision.
BTW--I would not fit the Trispark unit to a twin on principle.
The Trispark for triples (and the Boyer and Pazons for triples twins and singles)have the electronics in a separate box that can be mounted away from the heat and vibration of the engine.
However the Trispark unit for twins is all in the points cover and therefore subject to the heat and vibration from the engine.
I have not tried it ---and do not intend to.

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640427
02/17/16 3:44 am
02/17/16 3:44 am
Scotland
kommando Online content
BritBike Forum member
kommando  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Scotland
The new Tri spark for Triples now follows the twins with the electronics in the timing chamber, old version is still available. If the old one is being phased out buy it now. TM +1, do not buy any ignition system not in a seperate box you can mount off the engine.

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640429
02/17/16 4:54 am
02/17/16 4:54 am
Melbourne Oz
S
Steven A Offline
BritBike Forum member
Steven A  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Melbourne Oz
Nothing wrong with a unit in the timing chamber if they have used components with the latest automotive ratings. They are very good.

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640430
02/17/16 4:55 am
02/17/16 4:55 am
Christchurch NZ
R Moulding Online content
BritBike Forum member
R Moulding  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Christchurch NZ

Google Tri Spark failures.

Rod

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: R Moulding] #640441
02/17/16 7:28 am
02/17/16 7:28 am
Running from demons in WNY
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Running from demons in WNY
My experience is two Pazon Surefire's on street Triumphs and a Pazon Smartfire on my race bike...The Smartfire was faulty out of the box...Yes 7.5 year warranty ...too bad Pazon was closed for a one month holiday when it failed...John Healey took care of the problem...
One thing I have observed with the Pazon on my T120/750 ; a "stronger" kick is needed to start the engine or it might kick back slightly. A ignition on lazy prime kick seemed to minimize the problem. And yes it was timed properly and I know how to kick start a bike smile

I ride junk
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640442
02/17/16 7:43 am
02/17/16 7:43 am
Asheville, NC
Mike Baker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mike Baker  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Asheville, NC
The black box for the Pazon was replaced. It works fine now.
The Boyer has given me problems only with a weak battery.
My 650's are tuned properly and I can't feel any difference in advance curves for what that's worth.

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640449
02/17/16 9:02 am
02/17/16 9:02 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi James,

Originally Posted By JagLite
The Tri-Spark info is not as good but it looks from this that I use my stock Lucas rotor and stator and would need to get the coil and other stuff to make a complete system:

This is true of any of the e.i. you've linked, apart from the Electrex.

Also how old is your "stock Lucas rotor and stator"? The standard RM21 didn't produce much at low rpm when new; it depends in part on the magnetic strength in the rotor, which attenuates naturally with age; an original rotor is now 45 years old ...

Electrex states that their system generates 65W, but doesn't say at what rpm; to make any decision, I'd want to know that so I could relate it to the rpm I'm likely to use for my riding. E.g. if the 65W is generated at 5,000 rpm, not much use if your bike's engine is going to spend most of its time around 2,500 rpm? You want to know how many Watts it generates at the rpm where you'll use it.

Otoh, if you want similar power to the bike's original "stock Lucas rotor and stator" - 120W @ 5,000 rpm - a new low-output version of the 3-phase RM24 (stator and rotor) will produce that, while also producing more (than the RM21 or the Electrex) at low rpm - 102W @ 2,400 rpm. bigt Assuming you can manage to ride the bike at that sort of rpm, that's more than enough to supply any of the 'separate' e.i. plus some lights plus keeping any battery charged?

'Til you inform yourself and make that decision, any bibbling about whether the electronics should be in the engine or in a separate box is about as relevant as the colour of your eyes ... smile

Finally, I wouldn't rule out the latest version of the Boyer-Bransden analogue e.i. - the Mark 4. Many of the earlier problems with B-B can be traced directly to owners not grasping the significance of "12 Volts" and B-B sometimes not working just under that; e.i. makers who came along afterwards simply made their e.i. function at lower Volts. The Mark 4 will also function at lower Volts (not that you should need the facility with a 3-phase alternator whistle ) and, since it was released, "help me with my Boyer" threads have virtually disappeared from Britbike internet forums? Also bear in mind that, if anything B-B goes t1ts-up in the US, John Healy is an official B-B 'fixer'; otoh, anything else has to go back to Oz or NZ?

Hth.

Regards,

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640450
02/17/16 10:21 am
02/17/16 10:21 am
Edgewater, Md
B
Blown Income Offline

BritBike Forum member
Blown Income  Offline

BritBike Forum member
B
Edgewater, Md
I have an Electrex kit on my 61' BSA C15S, Works very well but lighting is poor (not that I am riding this bike in the dark anyways). The only experience I have with Pazon is 1 standard unit on a 850 Commando which works very well and their Smart Fire EI on my A65 750cc Stroker race bike(probelms with this unit currently trying to resolve).

On the other hand, all of my other bikes that have EI have the Trispark unit. My BSA A10, 68 Bonneville with cams and bigbore kit, T150 and even a friends 850 Commando. All of these bikes are ridden hard in all sorts of temps with no issues from heat.

My vote out of all of the systems on the market is the Trispark.

1955 BSA Bantam D1 Plunger
1956 BSA A10RR Street and LSR Bike
1961 BSA C15S
1966 BSA spitfire
1969 Triumph T100C
1970 Triumph TR6R
1972 BSA Lightning LSR Bike
1974 Triumph T150V
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640452
02/17/16 10:35 am
02/17/16 10:35 am
New Jersey USA
Tridentman Offline

BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Offline

BritBike Forum member
New Jersey USA
At one stage when I lived in UK I ran a company making among other things Environmental Stress Screening equipment.
This equipment simulated rapid temperature changes and installed vibration environments.
One of our biggest customers was a big aerospace company in UK making among other things guided missiles. The extreme case here was a guided missile installed in the Middle East where it is in very high ambient temperatures. Then it is fired and in a matter of seconds is at a vast height and in very much sub zero temperatures.
The electronics from the missile was placed in our equipment and powered up and then subjected to rapid temperature changes and high vibration levels.
The failures were frequent and entailed lots of redesign of the electronics.
Some of the failures were of components but most were failures of the connections.
Seeing what effort had to go into those designs I doubt if Stephen Kelly of Trispark was able to put in the development work needed to enable the E I ignitions to survive in the hostile hot and vibrating environment of our old clunkers. I say that not to knock Trispark but just as a reflection of the real situation.
That is why I would never use an E I system with the electronics in the points cavity.
Why put the electronics to that test when you don't have to?
Just my two centsworth.

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640482
02/17/16 2:56 pm
02/17/16 2:56 pm
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Maui Hawaii
There's some wonderful advice here and no animosity either which is very welcome, just individual experiences stated plainly.

But it looks as though you've still got your work cut out for you selecting an ignition.

But what is really the elephant in the room is the lack of points and coil supporters for once.

Which, by nearly everyone's estimation a good system but is now let down by quality parts replacement these days.

I would like to add something to the Pazon evaluations, though. I tested its ability to run properly at low voltages myself by idling around town with my H4 halogen headlight on and watching my voltmeter readings gradually drop down to about 9.5 volts before I turned the headlight off. It sat there idling perfectly before that. I was impressed.

But, when starting a Pazon equipped bike with a low battery, I experienced some kick-back and on an 850 Commando, that's no laughing matter, especially with 65 year old knees that are getting weaker by the year.

When the battery was at its maximum, there was no kick-back leading me to believe that although when running the advance curve was still where it should be, at kicking speeds, that no longer applied.

Other than that exception, the Pazon has been faultless in operation since I installed it a few years ago. I wish I could say the same about the half dozen or so analogue Boyers I installed starting in the early nineties when there was essentially no other systems available. Every single one of those systems ended up in the can, unfortunately.

Cheers,

Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640501
02/17/16 5:29 pm
02/17/16 5:29 pm
Merry Point VA
W
wildbill Offline

BritBike Forum member
wildbill  Offline

BritBike Forum member
W
Merry Point VA
I have a Pazon on my 1965 TR6SR and I have a put 5,000 miles on it with no issues. Easy to install and set up. The Pazon on 1967 T120R works well and has given me no difficulty either. If I ever finish the 1969, it will get one, also.

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640508
02/17/16 6:14 pm
02/17/16 6:14 pm
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
JagLite Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
JagLite  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
I certainly do appreciate all the comments, suggestions, and experience.

I was wrong (obviously) that the Pazon was like the Electrex in supplying both lighting and ignition power.
I see that I need to test the stator on my bike to see if it is good before I decide which company to go with.
I have the factory shop manual for my engine as well as three other books for the old Triumph engines so I am guessing there is the how-to-test information in them for the stator.

If it is bad I will go with Electrex since that would be simplest, and most cost effective.

If the stator is good, then I will have to decide.

I believe the Pazon Altair works down to 6 volts. (yes, just confirmed)
Here is what is on their site for the Altair:

quote]Pazon's latest range of ignition systems.
Fully digital design, suitable for for road-going (street) or competition motorcycles. Contact-less ignition system: eliminates the original mechanical contact-breaker(s) and condenser(s). Functions down to below 6 volts without over-advancing, so much less chance of kick-back on electric start machines that suffer from large voltage drops to the ignition when cranking on the button. Compact ignition module. Electronic tacho output. Some systems include ignition coils.[/quote]

I am sure the new Boyer is a very good unit, they had to improve once Pazon started producing the Sure-Fire system.

I'm 61 and have a bad leg so easy starting is critical for me.
I am looking at making an electric roller starting stand even.
But that would only work at home and I need to be able to kick start it at any time.

I just hung the exhaust on to take the picture.
I was truing the rear wheel with a new aluminum rim and spokes, and now I can put the tire on.

James
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640529
02/17/16 8:23 pm
02/17/16 8:23 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline
fefsa
kevin roberts  Offline
fefsa
ohio, usa
i've been running a Boyer mark 3 on my T120 for 30 years. the first one failed at the rotor after a month or so-- the glue melted. Big D replaced the rotor immediately and i've had the same unit in the bike ever since.

i've always used it to run a twin-plug ignition with dual-tower coils, and it has never so much as skipped a beat. i used old 6-volt harley coils for many years, then switched to dynateks about a year ago.

reliable as a wedge, for me, although it is un-startable under 10 volts. i keep a couple of over-long wires with alligator clips to use if i need to jump it from a car.

i have no idea what i'm doing.
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640531
02/17/16 9:02 pm
02/17/16 9:02 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi James,

I need to test the stator on my bike to see if it is good before I decide which company to go with.
I have the factory shop manual for my engine as well as three other books for the old Triumph engines so I am guessing there is the how-to-test information in them for the stator.

Mmmm ... depends what "other books" you have ...

Ime, the electrical 'test data' varies from manual to manual, none I know of are particularly comprehensive, all were written when there was a widespread dealer network, in the expectation that dealers' workshops would contain both the comprehensive test equipment and people with the knowledge to work it. As a result, no "factory shop manual" contains something as seemingly-obvious as an rpm-vs.-Amps graph (although Lucas had 'em for every alternator frown ) while, at best, containing alleged 'results' that supposedly indicate 'good' or 'bad' alternator, the latter unable to identify which of the two components - stator or rotor - might be at fault. frown

Today, the basic measuring equipment isn't expensive but owners without the electrical knowledge to buy and use it are mostly unwilling to look for it (the knowledge, although it's never been easier to find). frown 'Substitution testing' of a sort is used as an alternative but, if an owner has been taken in by the pattern parts makers' advertising puff, shelled out hard-earned for a new allegedly-fantastically-better-than-Lucas alternator only to find it's nothing of the sort, few are brave enough to admit it on the www. frown

If it is bad I will go with Electrex since that would be simplest, and most cost effective.
If the stator is good, then I will have to decide.

Risking stating the bleeding obvious, something is only "cost effective" if it does all you want for your money. The generating capacity of the Electrex is truly tiny - afaict, it compares with the generating equipment on things like 1950's small-capacity lightweights, and they had truly appalling electrics. Risking labouring the point, it would be interesting to know what additional information you get from Electrex, how you're hoping to use your Metisse, what electrics (apart from the ignition) you're hoping to use, etc.

Regards,

Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640537
02/17/16 9:29 pm
02/17/16 9:29 pm
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Maui Hawaii
You could fit an ARD belt drive magneto kit on your Rickmann. Lots of folks did and new kits are available from British Cycle Supply now. Then you fit a Joe Hunt Mag which are available new as well.

Then your charging system is superfluous....

Just sayin....it's the solution many have chosen....

Cheers,

Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640540
02/17/16 10:09 pm
02/17/16 10:09 pm
Brisbane, Australia
BrizzoBrit Offline

Life member
BrizzoBrit  Offline

Life member
Brisbane, Australia
This doesn't address your specific question, but adds to comments on the Pazon units above.

My experience with a Pazon Surefirw was that my A65 vibrated a bit more when the battery was low. This doesnt happen anymore as I have now upgraded to podtronics from zener. But, in testing several things, I found that the vibration, which occurred at around 3,000 rpm was associated with ignition advance and this occurred running ignition advance at the standard setting. This was made worse with a low battery. I found there was a fine balance between ignition timing and this vibration and also I find and the vibration is changed by ~ 2 degree change in advance. When retarded slightly from the standard manual-defined setting and under normal conditions (strong battery) there is little vibration at this engine speed.

My feeling was that even though the ignition will work down to a low voltage - as noted above (I didn't determine how low), that ignition advance delivered from the Pazon was increasing slightly when battery was low (as has been described for Boyer systems). This might explain kickbacks with low batteries??

I have no issues now as I understand the relation between battery condition, ignition advance and vibration. If the bike vibrates then battery is low or ignition too far advanced (which is also usually confirmed by slight pinging on take off). This has actually been very helpful for me to understand the best setup for my bike. A negative experience actually turns out to be a positive!!

I like this ignition and would definitely fit it to other bikes I will build.

Cheers
ray

BSA 1969 A65F
BSA 1966 A65H
Triumph 1968 T120
Kawasaki A1R
& too many projects!
Re: Pazon or Electrex - electronic ignition? [Re: JagLite] #640595
02/18/16 12:02 pm
02/18/16 12:02 pm
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
JagLite Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
JagLite  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Blast it! frown

You guys aren't any help at all... help

You are supposed to all agree that one system is the absolute best, do-it-all for the least money. beerchug

Isn't that what we always hope for?

In the real world though we try to figure out what will be the best for our needs.

And in my real world I usually try to save money and buy the cheap version of an excellent product (even a hammer) and then after trying without success to make it work, I buy the expensive version I should have bought in the first place.

So, the shop manual info on testing the stator may not be the answer, hmmmm.

I hope tonight that I will be able to spend some time in the shop and will read up on what it says.

I had not heard (read) about the Podtronics unit, that looks interesting... Of course reading on the company website always makes the stuff they sell sound like "The Answer".

My electrical needs for the Rickman are minimal. I will be using LED lights, will not be riding after dark, and will keep the battery plugged in with a battery tender like my other bikes.

I had planned to do a belt conversion when I first bought the Rickman kit... but by the time I had found the engine I realized I could not afford to do that now. Never considered a magneto and don't know anything about them. Probably couldn't afford it anyway. blush

I find it interesting that I can't find much online from people using the Electrex system. Good or bad. I didn't get the idea that it is a new product. But the low 65w power would sure limit how many people would want it.

So many questions...
It seems the less I know about something the simpler it appears to be.
Then I start learning about it and I have more and more questions.
Then I realize I know less about it than I did when I knew nothing about it! sick

I really appreciate everyone taking a minute to post your experience and recommendations. bigt

James
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership