BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
meatwagon
meatwagon
San Diego CA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
22 registered members (Alan_nc), 226 guests, and 464 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Biscuits, DT 150, DamienE, vietnammotorbike, Lennart Liljedah
10291 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 93
Lannis 66
Mori55 64
Popular Topics(Views)
637,456 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,386
Posts654,254
Members10,291
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 3:00pm - 14/07/2015 [Re: Les P] #617407
09/14/15 6:26 am
09/14/15 6:26 am
Les P Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Les P  Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
I had a chance to look at the 1953 Sunbeam last time I was home, it has miraculously cured itself and kicking over not only returned motion at the crankshaft but good compression.
The rear tyre/tire looked like something off a side car rig but a quick check showed it has solo gearing so a bonus.
Odd that the bike had been for sale for some weeks with around 14 inquiry's (including someone phoning while I was there who wanted both the S7 and now gone S8) from all over Australia yet I was the only person to go and look at it.

The 1949 needs some thread updates, perhaps when I get back this week.
Forks were back together months ago as were the wheels with new bearings, a combination of NOS rollers and modern sealed ball bearings.

This AISIN AMR300 is on its way from Japan as of today, I am sure it will be handy for something....

More bikes and projects than you can shake a stick at but they should be done in two shakes of a lamb's tail.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: 3:00pm - 14/07/2015 [Re: Les P] #618204
09/19/15 6:56 pm
09/19/15 6:56 pm
Sacramento California
R
Rusty Goose Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rusty Goose  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Sacramento California
Hmmm, very interesting. Any plans as to what is going to be supercharged?

1967 A65 Lightning
1967 Triumph T20 Mountain Cub
1967 Moto Guzzi V7
1969 B44 Victor Special
1966? Royal Enfield Interceptor
1949 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe. [Re: Rusty Goose] #619604
09/29/15 6:48 am
09/29/15 6:48 am
Les P Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Les P  Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Hello Rusty.
The bike with the most room would be my 73 Eldorado or maybe the DR780 but I had thought of the Sunbeam if the boost was kept to something sensible like 4psi or less.
High drive ratio and low maximum engine revolutions for high torque.
The supercharger cost around US$141 plus post so was a spur of the moment thing.
If it could be mounted so it did not look to much out of place it might be viable, it is quite small but gains size when you hold it next to the engine block.
I had payed for it on a Sunday afternoon (eBay) and it was at the door from Japan by 9:00am (DHL) on the Wednesday morning, I was still away at work so took some time to strip it when I flew back home, the rotors are some form of plastic and in great condition as were the bearings so a bonus.
Case and housings cleans and put back together.

I'm afraid with only 6 days at home motorcycles have been on the back burner for a bit, Spring is here so the weather is getting better so I will get more motivated as Summer approaches.
I had purchased all new parts to recondition the Sunbeams cylinder head quite some time ago but had had some concerns about the sealing face for the head gasket, old mate from its past had been there and there were signs of some heavy handedness in the form of some gouges etc.
The thought had been to fly cut the surface but it would be a large cut perhaps 1mm (0.040") as a minimum.
A welding repair perhaps another option with a light fly cut, anyway I had started by boring the old valve guides so they could be removed with little to no impact on the head itself.

As it turns out a cylinder head came up on UK eBay, auction ending this week and looking to be in fine fettle, oddly only one other bidder so was lucky to get it for a little over $200 + post.It should be here by the time I return home in a few weeks.

eBay auction pictures.
The pictures have been resized but were large and the casting including the all important gasket surface looks to be good.

That is about it unfortunately.
I had tried to contact one of the well known Sunbeam members in the UK about modifying the oil system for an oil filter but any emails return as if the address does not exist.
Having no oil filter is out of the question as was the same thing on my Eldorado, on the Moto Guzzi it was fairly easy to modify the engine block (as in links a page or so back in this thread) the Sunbeam is a little more tricky, some folk have diverted the oil at the rear crankshaft bush, this other member had it seemed machined a new oil pump outer plate that has a take off passage that goes off to the filter (and oil cooler) then back to the rear bush where it carry's on in its usual oil path.
With an oil filter a modern oil that does not hold contamination in suspension can be used, something like Mobil One V twin I hope.
The oil pump is just below the bore that takes the white metaled rear crankshaft bush so space to work with is at a premium, the original mod for this looks to be blocking the oil groove to take the oil away to a filter via the pressure relief port then bringing it back again to the upper passage that has a plug as standard, that may the way to go, we will see....

More bikes and projects than you can shake a stick at but they should be done in two shakes of a lamb's tail.
Re: 1949 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe. [Re: Les P] #624099
11/03/15 7:15 am
11/03/15 7:15 am
Les P Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Les P  Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Back at work a week with three to go, given I took care of quite a few other tasks last break the next should be more motorcycle related.
The cylinder head from the UK had arrived and did make time to strip it and put it in the kerosene bath to soak (for a month)
The number stamped on it would place it in the 1951 year and seems to be in excellent condition for its age with no damage, all threads look good and even the iron guides have very little wear.
I had of course got new bronze guides, valves, springs, retainers, collets along with a new camshaft and reconditioned rockers long ago.
They will be fitted to this head, Christmas is not far off I might add and a new year.
I had read when I was a member of the SOF some debate on what these early S7 Deluxes had as far as a tail light as standard, many had later Lucas 525 etc units fitted over the later years to meet changing legislation's.
The 1949 mount seemed to suggest a much earlier light was used, it had a later pattern item at purchase but had found an original 525 unit with 'patina to match the rest of the bike sourced from New Zealand to replace it.

This surfaced on local eBay and looks to be the correct small Lucas unit, NOS and still having its packaging.
It should be in the mail by now.
This unit I think is the same as that on the S8 that was with the 1953 S7D purchased some months ago, I dated that bike (S8) by its numbers to a first year 1949 model.
Another piece perhaps and some proof to me anyway of what the original fitment might have been.
A complete wheel had also arrived from New Zealand, original clutch and brake leavers are in the post from Canada.

Information in general is not exactly abundant, I hope these white metal rear main bushes (if that is what was applied to the refurbished item) do not need scraping or some other oddity, line boring surely not, something for investigation further down the track.

Re: 1949 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe. [Re: Les P] #632984
12/31/15 11:23 pm
12/31/15 11:23 pm
Overland Missouri
O
old mule Offline
BritBike Forum member
old mule  Offline
BritBike Forum member
O
Overland Missouri
A new year for the old machine, thank you for writing for us!

Re: 1949 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe. [Re: old mule] #639051
02/07/16 8:35 pm
02/07/16 8:35 pm
Les P Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Les P  Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Hello Old Mule.
I didn't spend a lot on ink for the year as far as updates.
I head back to work in a couple of days, a new employer is on the cards, a new location to live is being pondered so on this break a good deal of the time has been spent on packing things away for transfer to temporary story (famous last words)

I had been asked to scan and return some work documents and since I picked up a 1994 copy of Classic Bike scanned the Sunbeam article in it.

Sunbeam S7 - S8 article 1994.

Pictures are not very good quality but also found some more NOS.
The 49 had a factory head gasket (copper/asbestos?/copper) unlike the modern sheet versions.
I was lucky enough to find a NOS replacement along with a NOS quick start quadrant and factory valves.

I had ordered some parts from Stein Dinse and HMB Guzzi in Germany for the long suffering Eldorado.
The transmission looks to be the only item that was not 'shot but will replace all the bearings which I ordered locally from the same bearing agent as the Sunbeam items came from.
It is a rare thing these days to be allowed to take away what has not been payed for with payment when the rest come in.

I did spend a few hours in the shed but not BB related, mainly to mill some reliefs on a sump spacer so it would fit with the early front cover.
This was the block I machined (long ago) to take the later oil filter pan.
It should last with filtered oil.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership