BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
DeejayP999
DeejayP999
London, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
202 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,704 guests, and 529 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 185
koan58 98
Stuart 87
NickL 59
Popular Topics(Views)
435,973 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,261
Posts631,968
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#628840 - 12/05/15 7:25 am 1941 stump puller  
miffa Offline
BritBike Forum member
miffa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

The Black Country England
Not been on for a while ...merry xmas to you all
put this on another forum,but didnt go down to well ,i wonder why??
Plans are to build and enter into the dirtquake 2016 ,just a bit of fun really nothing serious ,a collection of about 10 different type of bike parts plus any bits ive got that can be cut,bent and made to fit ,its not my intention to win any beauty contests ,just a strong bike that can ride over buildings and plough the odd field now and again,oh its going to be road legalish
Be good for you gurus to look over where i am with this and offer your advice on when i go wrong
To give you a idea
1941 war department Norton 16h engine ,later Norton laydown dommie 4 speed box ,bsa clutch ,going in a 1958 ariel capr hunter swing arm frame using a a10 swing arm

Last edited by miffa; 12/05/15 7:44 am.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#628914 - 12/05/15 8:36 pm Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: miffa]  
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
leon bee  Offline
BritBike Forum member

arkansas
I'll be eager to see more of this.

#628933 - 12/05/15 10:13 pm Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: miffa]  
kevin roberts Online content
BritBike Forum member
kevin roberts  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
are the british dirt quakes as insane as those over here? i am totally ignorant.

an ancient norton would fit right in over here.

Into the distance a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction is holding me fast how
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?
#628941 - 12/05/15 11:15 pm Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: miffa]  
Boomer Online content
BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
Now here's a stump puller and grinder. 600cc JAP from a David Brown garden tractor. They called it a garden tractor but actually it was a rototiller. What a handful that would have been.

Bill B...

Boomer
#628950 - 12/06/15 6:22 am Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: Boomer]  
miffa Offline
BritBike Forum member
miffa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

great to get a responce guys ,i know its a odd one and not to everyones taste

kevin, dirtquake england is all good fun just a crazy race on crazy bikes ridden by fools like me ,i will post the entry rules later

boomer, now that jap engine is a true stump puller , i would love to do something with that ,always wanted one but not been lucky enough to find one as yet

Well it would be great to say that it was a amazing engineering feat to put the Norton engine in the Ariel frame, but it wasnít, it just sort of fell in, 16h engine plates only needed to be modified slightly and had to remove one frame lug that was fowling the gearbox, sort of worries you when things go that smooth, perhaps it will bite me as I proceed,

Next job modify the swing arm to take the MX rear wheel and large sprocket and also be able to gain the clearance for the drive chain to clear either a 410-18 or 400-18 rear tyre, then make up a rear axle, spacers and adjusters so the rear drive sprocket, engine sprocket and primary chain all line up, that should be fun

#629679 - 12/11/15 12:57 pm Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: miffa]  
miffa Offline
BritBike Forum member
miffa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

drive and primary chains all lined spot on ,axle ,spacers and adjusters all made

#633486 - 01/03/16 5:29 pm Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: miffa]  
Pete Suchawreck Offline
BritBike Forum member
Pete Suchawreck  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Western NY
That's a great project1 Looking forward to the progress. Please tell us about the competition-I've never heard of it.

#633554 - 01/04/16 6:05 am Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: miffa]  
miffa Offline
BritBike Forum member
miffa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

hi pete its a crazy race ,all good fun mad people on mad bikes but still competitive

how to race in the quake
There are four classes. To be eligible to race, you must PRE-ENTER your bike for approval by emailing a photo and which class you want to race in to:

dirt@sideburnmagazine.com

Once your bike is approved we need you to fill and online entry form and pay a £45 race entry.
When your bike is approved you can enter. Pre-approval DOES NOT guarantee you an entry. Itís first come first served, so get your entry in after your bikeís approved.
If youíre entering a bike for someone else to race, you must tell us at this point.
ENTRIES CLOSE 11 July.
No entries on the day.

RACE CLASSES
INAPPROPRIATE ROAD BIKE (IRB)
Bike must be road legal, with lights (taped up). Supermoto or road legal enduro bikes are not inappropriate. Dirt Quake is for bikes no other race will have.

STREET TRACKER
Road legal street tracker or street scrambler (subject to approval. See above). Needs license plate and working tail light.

CHOPPER
Itís got to be a chopper, bobber or custom, baby! Hardtails and softails accepted. Stock-looking factory customs should be in Inappropriate Road Bike class. Need to be road legal-ish (negotiable).

LADY
Any bike from the three classes is suitable to race in the female-only class.

RACE LICENCE
If you donít already have a race licence you need to buy one on the day for £10.

SAFETY
We will be giving bike a tech inspection to make sure theyíre not complete death traps. Mag wheels must be covered between the spokes (to stop a flailing arm going through)
As far as clothing goes, we demand: helmet, boots, gloves, eye protection (visor or goggles), long sleeves and long trousers. We recommend leathers and/or all the armour and pads you can get your hands on.
Dirt Quake is fun, but it is still motorcycle racing and racing is dangerous.

SPONSORS
Please get in touch for a sponsor brochure to find out the packages for all budgets.

VOLUNTEERS
Want to help out on the day? Please get in touch............. not with me with sideburn............

#633555 - 01/04/16 6:14 am Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: miffa]  
miffa Offline
BritBike Forum member
miffa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

moved on a little ,all up and running ,probabley 10 different bikes in one ,about 85% brit 15% alien

Last edited by miffa; 01/04/16 6:21 am.
#633574 - 01/04/16 9:56 am Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: miffa]  
Zombie Offline
BritBike Forum member
Zombie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Florida PanHandle
Too kool for skool!

I'd love to see more pictures.

I'm an old school dirt rider, and aside from the low pipe... that is a world class looking machine.
Don't get me wrong. I love the pipe on the bike. I'd just cry if/when I destroyed it (the pipe).

The raw finish, and cookie box number plate are perfect for the bike.

KUDOS!

#633594 - 01/04/16 1:13 pm Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: Zombie]  
miffa Offline
BritBike Forum member
miffa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted By Zombie
Too kool for skool!

I'd love to see more pictures.

I'm an old school dirt rider, and aside from the low pipe... that is a world class looking machine.
Don't get me wrong. I love the pipe on the bike. I'd just cry if/when I destroyed it (the pipe).

The raw finish, and cookie box number plate are perfect for the bike.

KUDOS!

i thank you for the kind comments ,it is what it is zombie ,nice to put a load of parts together and create something that as a purpose,the exhaust is a piece of 1 7/8" scrap tube with one mandrel bend so it as no value ,i will give it a high level at some point however ive got some time in the hand made reverse cone shortie it sounds like bilge pump when running lol,never wanted a pretty bike so kept true to word and every thing on the build is function over form,avoided paint like the plague just bare metal ,i gave it a couple of clear coats just to stop it rusting ...just pegs and rear brake to sort then im going to ride the tyres off it,i will take some more pics and post them for you
miffa
ps whats a cookie box number plate???

#633616 - 01/04/16 4:35 pm Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: miffa]  
Pete Suchawreck Offline
BritBike Forum member
Pete Suchawreck  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Western NY
Like a pie baking tin. Yours are a bit nicer than a pie tin. That is beautiful! Is the race all dirt or a mix or?

#633635 - 01/04/16 6:09 pm Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: miffa]  
Zombie Offline
BritBike Forum member
Zombie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Florida PanHandle
LOL... Cookie tin number plate...

I used the rectangular ones for the front, and the round ones for the sides as a kid. Two zip ties, and you were done.

Moms patio furniture slip covers made great seat covers too.

That's one great bike.

#633707 - 01/05/16 5:11 am Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: Pete Suchawreck]  
miffa Offline
BritBike Forum member
miffa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted By Pete Suchawreck
Like a pie baking tin. Yours are a bit nicer than a pie tin. That is beautiful! Is the race all dirt or a mix or?

plans are to use it on the road mainly greenlaning ,im no racer just a novice but with a quick tyre change it will be a capable bike for a novice dirt race such as the quake

ha ha cookie tin ,should have guessed that sorry

#633937 - 01/06/16 12:51 pm Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: miffa]  
miffa Offline
BritBike Forum member
miffa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139131691@N05/shares/c2i607

please click on link for short video or copy to your browser

hope to race you at the dirtquake

oh well short and sweet, time for the next one ,which is a ARMHA style tracker based on a a50r bottom end and thunderbolt top end should be fun ...another to upset the purists lol i will put another short build thread up ,many thanks guys for taking time to post

the fantastic feeling you guys will know im sure is when a bike of many bits gets you up and down the street for the first time, its like winning the lotto...aint that what its all about

spec
1958 modified Ariel capr frame
1941 16h 500 Norton engine
AMAL pre Monobloc carb
Norton dommie laydown 4 speed gearbox
BSA clutch
BSA a10 cut shut and completely reworked swing arm
ariel trials alloy fuel tank
universal trials seat
forks jap unknown
reworked yolks jap unknown
21" jap unknown wheel and brake
18" MX rear alloy wheel 55 tooth sprocket
bsa a65 foot pegs
bsa reworked rear brake pedal
e18 road trials tyres 21-300 and 18-4.00 rear
triumph speed triple handle bars
home made oil tank
domino throttle
5.5 c section rear mudguard

every other part handmade
probably missed loads
oh gold star tank badges ha ha ha

Last edited by miffa; 01/06/16 12:53 pm.
#633976 - 01/06/16 5:39 pm Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: miffa]  
Zombie Offline
BritBike Forum member
Zombie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Florida PanHandle
It's Fantastic!

Sounds like a torque monster, and you didn't let me down... You found one of my old front number plates!

It didn't take you long to put it together either. Nice!!!

#634040 - 01/07/16 5:43 am Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: Zombie]  
miffa Offline
BritBike Forum member
miffa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted By Zombie
It's Fantastic!

Sounds like a torque monster, and you didn't let me down... You found one of my old front number plates!

It didn't take you long to put it together either. Nice!!!

i all ways build to a complete bike first ,ready to ride,then break it down, do what your doing cosmetically and its only a day or so to bolt it back together

front race plate just a off cut of 3mm alloy plate ,cut an oval first but didn't look right
saving the last job till the weekend ,a nasty job but someone's got to do it ...and thats to get it as dirty as i can, he he

show ponys are defiantly not my thing ,if bikes could talk they would shout "please use me "put some flowers in a vase if you want a ornament lol

#634082 - 01/07/16 5:15 pm Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: miffa]  
Zombie Offline
BritBike Forum member
Zombie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Florida PanHandle
I only build one of two ways for bikes I will sell.

One is to get it running/safe, and out the door. The other is where every piece gets worked to better than new.
I'll never work with a customer (build their version of a bike) or potential sale in mind. Just what "I" like for the project.

The bikes I build for me? Just like you did. Function over form, and form over flash. I like them the best.

#634121 - 01/08/16 6:09 am Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: miffa]  
miffa Offline
BritBike Forum member
miffa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

is this how you make your living zombie?

ive been destroying perfectly good bikes for over 30 odd years but as a hobby only ,i love the diversity of bikes, i enjoy seeing the fully correct restored trailer queen stuff that people turn up at shows with it on a trailer LOL, but they not for me ,i like to see them riding but in tip top shape mechanically still baring the scars of age,scratch building is my favourite it stretches me imagination

take this Norton War Department 16h engine for example ,where on earth would i find all the correct parts to build that ,it would be near on impossible to find a war department rolling chassis or parts to build with?? if you get my drift

#634145 - 01/08/16 12:06 pm Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: miffa]  
Zombie Offline
BritBike Forum member
Zombie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Florida PanHandle
Long story short, I rescue dead bikes, and re-sell them (zombies). It's been my supplement or pocket money since high school.
I started riding dirt bikes when I was 13, and being a kid from Yonkers with one parent there was never any money for bikes, so I started salvaging them from dumps, junk yards, rivers, the woods, anywhere I could find one.

I never missed a day riding since I was a kid so my building never stopped. The last car I owned was 12 years ago...

My degree was in electronics, and I always loved boats so I stayed in the marine trades because there were never any "electronic" applications in motorcycles (back in the 70's)

Thank god for that because, today I HATE boats but still work on them.

So the short of it is, I have built/owned a few hundred (350 some) bikes as a hobby/supplement, and still love them. If I ever opened a bike shop, I would most likely hate them today.
The shoe maker wears no shoes kinda thing...

I'm 100% with you on things showing heir "war scars". It's character that can not be replaced.
That's why I won't build to order or for a particular person, the way THEY want it. It takes MY soul, out of the build. Thus... No bike shop.

I'm planing a one of a kind masterpiece Triumph for myself, and it will be ridden everyday till the end of my time on this earth. Actually it will be much the same as your Stump Puller build.

A piece of this, some from that, a couple of these, and since none of those exit... I'll make a few. Another Zombie if you will... Everything can be improved, and built to purpose.

I love your bike! Great build!!!

#634318 - 01/09/16 7:02 am Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: Zombie]  
miffa Offline
BritBike Forum member
miffa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Wow great life story ,so similar to my own in many respects ,i was born and lived all my life in a area of the UK known as The Black Country its name came from the soot , smoke and smog from the heavy industry dyeing the buildings black, we are in the middle of England any visitors heading towards us would see the sky dark with smoke from the chimneys of the factories hence the name .it was always a low income area even in times of industrial explosion ,now parts are like a baron waste land just ugly pieces of land where once stood massive factories employing 100000s now it suffers from mass unemployment once was the hub of the auto motive industry home to bsa,triumph,Norton,sunbeam,Clymer,jenson,guy,bl,AMAL,Lucas just to mention a few
Single parent raised back in the times the words single parent did not exist, it was all mom could do was to put food on the table so no spare cash, you had no choice but to grow tough and learn to survive .
As a boy we would club together a £1 or two and buy some old wreck and take turns riding up and down the canals toe paths ,when it broke down we would throw it in and buy another, the good ole days,
Always kept an interest in bikes and have been bodging them together ever since ,it was the only way, people then invented the name BITSA = bits of this bits of that and that name is still used today ,so i suppose that was my apprentership i have no formal engineering back ground whatsoever ,but now in my home shed/workshop i have Tig Mig ,lathe ,miller pillar and compressor self taught on everything ,i to buy and sell mainly brit parts and have accumulated quite a stock pile ,infact probably have enough to build 20 bikes of some kind or another
Tell you what i have noticed the way the trend has changed how people would be looking for the fully restored bike ,now itís the untouched survivors that fetch the best price ,so by doing less you achieve lots more ,crazy isnít it

#634340 - 01/09/16 9:00 am Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: miffa]  
Pete Suchawreck Offline
BritBike Forum member
Pete Suchawreck  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Western NY
I'm with you guys! I've been buying/selling dirtbikes and quads for years to support my motorcycle habit. My old bikes are not pristine. They are riders first and then cosmetics. The motor and handling is first, paint, etc. maybe later.

My little Rickman is an exception. My 125 needed new paint- someone dented the tank and it had been poorly painted an ugly dark blue. I traded a auto body man work to repaint it.
" Just get the dent out and paint it British Racing Green. It's a dirt bike, doesn't need a great paint job.I want to ride it off road"

He comes back with a gorgeous but utterly useless paint job. He bitches " I've got too much time in this but I have to do everything perfect" four months later.

I'm scared to put the body work on for a ride, much less in the woods. On the prowl for another set of tins that I'll paint this time. That particular bike is all original because it came that way grin .

#634347 - 01/09/16 9:25 am Re: 1941 stump puller [Re: Pete Suchawreck]  
miffa Offline
BritBike Forum member
miffa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted By Pete Suchawreck
I'm with you guys! I've been buying/selling dirtbikes and quads for years to support my motorcycle habit. My old bikes are not pristine. They are riders first and then cosmetics. The motor and handling is first, paint, etc. maybe later.

My little Rickman is an exception. My 125 needed new paint- someone dented the tank and it had been poorly painted an ugly dark blue. I traded a auto body man work to repaint it.
" Just get the dent out and paint it British Racing Green. It's a dirt bike, doesn't need a great paint job.I want to ride it off road"

He comes back with a gorgeous but utterly useless paint job. He bitches " I've got too much time in this but I have to do everything perfect" four months later.

I'm scared to put the body work on for a ride, much less in the woods. On the prowl for another set of tins that I'll paint this time. That particular bike is all original because it came that way grin .

feeling that peter, cheers for the impute mate,patina isn't some thing that comes out a can ,but on saying each to there own thank the good lord we all have the same passion but are diverse enough to see things from both sides of the fence ,some years ago i built a cafe styled racer did my best to use period parts ,availability and cost being the main factor ...took it up the bike meet feeling pretty pleased with how it had turned out ,then some rivot counting purist made a bee line for me saying " BSA didn't ever make that model "i said i know i made it in me shed ,he said "if i was you i would track the original parts down and put it back to how it was " i just laughed at him before telling him to **** off ,the moral of the story that would been another lost bike to part out if i hadn't have put back to the road

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.198s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 0.9811 MB (Peak: 1.3224 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-19 21:49:40 UTC