BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
PBMW
PBMW
Bremerton, Washington, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
210 registered members (Adam M.), 1,828 guests, and 547 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 188
koan58 100
Stuart 88
NickL 66
Popular Topics(Views)
437,093 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,270
Posts632,142
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#450402 - 08/22/12 2:42 pm History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it?  
Lucky Strike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Lucky Strike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Houston, Texas (West end of th...
Can any of you educate me on the history of the AMAL MK2? I've read a few posts here and there that indicate that the Mikuni was actually manufactured by Mikuni either under license from AMAL, or using their patents with AMAL's permission.

But I have not seen any reliable source for this information.

Thanks.

Fast. Cheap. Good. Pick any two....

1973 T140V
1960 BSA C15
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#450410 - 08/22/12 3:47 pm Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: Lucky Strike]  
Don M. Offline
BritBike Forum member
Don M.  Offline
BritBike Forum member

California
I keep an old, small carburetor from some Japanese motorcycle or scooter as an artifact. The body has "Mikuni" cast in on one side & "AMAL" on the other. The float/bowl parts are typical Mikuni. Seems to be evedence that Mikuni did licence technology from AMAL. Cheers, Don.

#450436 - 08/22/12 6:18 pm Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: Lucky Strike]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi,

According to the Mikuni website, Mikuni licenced AMAL from 1932.

Possibly additionally, many years B.I. (Before Internerd), I read a story that (and those of you who know anything about the Japanese will understand) throughout WW2, Mikuni banked all the AMAL licence fees and paid them over in 1945. Unfortunately, I've never seen the story repeated, and cannot remember where I read it originally, so I don't wish to start an 'internet rumour'.

Hth.

Regards,

#450445 - 08/22/12 6:34 pm Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: Lucky Strike]  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
Paging Mr. Healy...Mr. Healy please pick up on line five...

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#450479 - 08/22/12 10:00 pm Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: Stuart]  
Lucky Strike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Lucky Strike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Houston, Texas (West end of th...
Thank you Stuart, I did see that on the Mikuni website. Certainly that is some indication of the relationship of the two companies.

I wish I could find some more information on the AMAL Mk2 Mikuni connection. I've have overheard or seen several people refer to MK2s as Mikuni copies, but it may very well be the other way around.

Fast. Cheap. Good. Pick any two....

1973 T140V
1960 BSA C15
#450522 - 08/23/12 3:51 am Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: Lucky Strike]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
I've always heard that it's the other way round, Mikunis are licensed from AMAL. Consider the history of Japanese design. The bulk of the Japanese navy at the start of WWII was built for them by the British. They're like Microsoft, they don't innovate, they copy successful designs.
What I do know is that you can use 'Mikuni' parts to rebuild the chokes on a MkII AMAL. But, there the similarity ends. The Mikuni, as per Japanese nature, is more complicated than an AMAL MkII.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#450570 - 08/23/12 1:12 pm Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: Lucky Strike]  
John Healy Online content
John Healy  Online Content

Boston, Massachusetts
Have you looked at the main jets for the VM? They are exactly the same as AMAL. They are interchangeable and the Mikuni part number: 4/042 the same as AMAL. Have you ever measured the critical parts in a VM and notice for a given application they are the same as you would use on a MK2?

Barry Johnston wrote an article on the history of AMAL's influence on Mikuni for a Japanese Motorcycle magazine before he died. I have been trying to get my hands on a copy for years. It would answer a lot of questions. Also Burlen seems to have some of the AMAL records. Maybe they could shed some light on the subject.

#450668 - 08/23/12 11:52 pm Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: Lucky Strike]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
Good information, as always, John. In a pinch, it's easier to find Mikuni main jets locally. Nice to know they will also fit a MkII.

It's a shame that MkII owners will never experience the fun of playing around with all those lovely Mikuni needle tapers. laughing

Last edited by DavidP; 08/24/12 9:52 pm. Reason: incorrect info

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#450696 - 08/24/12 2:46 am Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: Lucky Strike]  

Boston, Massachusetts
Who big fella, the 4/042 is used by AMAL in earlier models. Our Monobloc, and Concentric MKI & II models use part number 376/100.

While Mikuni lists a mirad of needles there are only about 5 that will work for a given needle jet. If you take a minute to understand the tapers and which bleed/primary needles they work with. Less when you separate the two and four stroke needles. Thisis not unlike AMAL. You will also find that the single tapers work best for tuning a Mikuni on a four stroke for the street.

With a bit of study it isn't hard to make sense of the Mikuini catalog which is unnecessarily complicated.

#450831 - 08/24/12 10:32 pm Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: Lucky Strike]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
OOPS! My bad, I misunderstood you,John.
I found that experimenting with different needle jet/needle tapers can be just a whole lot of fun. laughing And, what works on my engine/intake/exhaust combination can be totally wrong for your bike. I've never found any suggestions for sizes on the bleed-type needle jets, though in theory they are more suited to 4-stroke engines. The 'hood' on the primary type does cut down on exhaust reversion, though.

Allan: I've heard that AMAL does indeed size main jets by flow. The numbers on the needle jets are the size, however (106 = 0.106"). According to the Victory Mikuni book, Mikuni main jets are numbered by fuel flow, #250 flows 250cc per minute. The same system might be used by AMAL? It gets a bit more complicated with needle jets. Each letter is 0.05mm larger than the lower letter, while each number adds 0.005mm to the diameter. An O5 measures 2.625mm, P5 is 2.675mm, P6 is 2.680mm.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#451884 - 08/31/12 3:03 pm Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: Lucky Strike]  
TripleTown Offline
BritBike Forum member
TripleTown  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK
I believe the MK2's were made under licence from IMI-AMAL, by a company called Talleres in Spain, who manufactured them, along with the 16/19 etc MK1.5's as OEM for Spanish Motorcycle companies such as Bultaco (Montesa etc). The spanish company supplied Carbs and spares throughout the world.
As for Mikuni, they certainly copied the AMAL hexagonal pre Monobloc jets, but i don't believe they were made by AMAL.

#451930 - 08/31/12 7:59 pm Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: Lucky Strike]  

Boston, Massachusetts
Quote:
Am I not right in thinking that Amal measure jets by flow rate through the jet whilst mikuni measures using the physical aperture of the jet.

No, both main jets are referenced to flow. While both needle jets are referenced to dimension.

There is an old British industry reference that refers main and pilot jet sizes to an appropriate inch dimension. I posted a link to part of it on britbike a while back. It is useful in a pinch but I doubt you could get any results plus or minus 10% of the flow you require. Anyone interested in all this should be on the look out for a set of jet drills made by Anderson & Forrester located in Colorado. I have used my set in a pinch for years...

#452138 - 09/01/12 9:58 pm Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: John Healy]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
Originally Posted By: John Healy

With a bit of study it isn't hard to make sense of the Mikuini catalog which is unnecessarily complicated.

I created a spread sheet to compare the resulting areas open to fuel flow using different needles at different throttle openings to aid in choosing one. It helps to visualize the fuel 'curve' and compare it to where I need more or less fuel.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#452144 - 09/01/12 10:26 pm Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: DavidP]  
DoubleDiamond Offline
BritBike Forum member
DoubleDiamond  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Hampshire, England
Originally Posted By: DavidP
Originally Posted By: John Healy

I created a spread sheet to compare the resulting areas open to fuel flow using different needles at different throttle openings to aid in choosing one. It helps to visualize the fuel 'curve' and compare it to where I need more or less fuel.

This is exactly where the Mikuni can score over the AMAL, but only if you get the fuelling correct, in particular with regards to better fuel economy. It is clealy more complicated than for the AMAL and really needs a rolling road to set up accurately.

BSA: '71 B175; '68 B25; '71 A65; '71 A75
Triumph: '87 T140; '72 T150v
#453426 - 09/08/12 5:08 am Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: Lucky Strike]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
The charts I made help somewhat. However, the Mikuni, "stations" really have very little to do with throttle position. It takes some interpolation and measurement to figure out what station corresponds to 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 throttle. I ended up marking a needle at each station. The D-1 station is virtually useless, being where the needle exits the bottom of the slide (clip in center groove.) laughing
I'm not really sure why Mikuni did things that way except that it's easy to measure diameter at each 10mm, "station."

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#454269 - 09/14/12 12:23 am Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: Lucky Strike]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
I was just reading an article about a 1970 Suzuki 125.
"Confusingly, some sources (both American and European) indicate the Stinger uses twin AMAL carburetors. Chip says itís his understanding that Mikuni paid a royalty to AMAL for the rights to build an AMAL-designed carburetor."

Read more: http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classi...2#ixzz26OkWiu6g

Look at the photo gallery. One of the photos shows the carb. It looks like a side-draft with the float chamber turned sideways.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#454517 - 09/16/12 12:49 am Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: DavidP]  
58thunderbird Offline
BritBike Forum member
58thunderbird  Offline
BritBike Forum member

melbourne australia
G'day all, I just recently bought myself a pair of 32mm VM series Mikuni's for my iron head Thunderbird. This is a race bike and runs on methonal. I was hoping I could measure the existing jet sizes in the MK1 Amals (currently fitted) and use these sizes in the Mikuni's. I'm hoping this will be a good starting point. What does everyone think? I have a set of "methonal needles" to use.

Cheers Pete

#454537 - 09/16/12 3:54 am Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: Lucky Strike]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
I have VM32's on my A65 street bike.
The same size main jets might be close, but Mikuni needle jets and needles are a whole 'nother story. With all the various needle tapers available you can get close to perfect mid-range mixture, given enough time and testing.
Better book a whole lot of time on the dyno.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#632100 - 12/27/15 10:57 pm Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: Lucky Strike]  
kevin roberts Online content
BritBike Forum member
kevin roberts  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
holy shit it's true

happy new year, folks!

Into the distance a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction is holding me fast how
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?
#632109 - 12/28/15 12:21 am Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: Stuart]  
Les P Offline
BritBike Forum member
Les P  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Kiwi in Australia.
Originally Posted By Stuart
Hi,

According to the Mikuni website, Mikuni licenced AMAL from 1932.

All manner of things were going on back then, not just carburetors so there is a much bigger picture.

I saw a WW2 Type 97 sitting under a banana tree when I worked in PNG in the early 1980's.

Link

Link

#632112 - 12/28/15 1:05 am Re: History of Amal MK2 and Mikuni, what is it? [Re: Les P]  
Rohan Online content
BritBike Forum member
Rohan  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Oztralia
Originally Posted By Les P

All manner of things were going on back then, not just carburetors so there is a much bigger picture.

Indeed, Indian and Harley etc etc etc sold the patents, licences manufacturing rights and tooling for a number of motorcycle types back then - it was said the $$$ gained bailed them out of a rather sticky depression era situation, and also circumvented some tarriff restrictions

Google Alfred Rich Child - yes thats his name - as one of the real characters of the era.

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.215s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 0.9606 MB (Peak: 1.2744 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 08:07:40 UTC