BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Kenny
Kenny
Oklahoma
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
205 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,624 guests, and 585 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 184
koan58 99
Stuart 86
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
439,367 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,295
Posts632,522
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#62967 - 04/06/05 6:42 pm Clutch nut 74/850  
Kommandokenny Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kommandokenny  Offline
BritBike Forum member

McKellar,Ontario
Just finished replacing clutch centre on my 74/850.I knew or read something earlier last year about a different torque setting but could not remember if it was for the clutch nut or something else.Anyway, I got all my books and articles together and deduced that it was 70 ft. pnds.
Now I'm reading on Norvil's site that it's 40 ft/pnds and I am in danger of shearing off,I guess, the circlip holding the clutch centre in.
I have had the clutch apart a few times and have always re-torqued it to 70.
Do I take it all apart again replace the centre circlip and retorque to 40 or walk on the wild side?
Any comments will be appreciated kk

If Norton made an airplane,would you fly in it?
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#62968 - 04/06/05 7:05 pm Re: Clutch nut 74/850  
maylar Offline
BritBike Forum member
maylar  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Connecticut
Been torquing mine per the factory spec for 30 years and never broke anything.

Dave from CT
#62969 - 04/06/05 7:52 pm Re: Clutch nut 74/850  
jangg Offline
BritBike Forum member
jangg  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Norway, just south of Oslo
Torque setting for "Clutch-to-mainshaft nut": 70ft./lb. (9.68kg/m) - Ref. Workshop manual for Norton Commando (Norton Triumph). Chapter "Technical Data" wink

For my part I've always had difficulties locking the clutch while using the spanner, so I just pull what I'm "good for", adding a dash of Locktite, and close the locking washer cool .

regards
jangg

'73 Commando Basket - new aluminium cyl
'93 Ducati 900 SS

"Better lit a light than cursing the darkness"
(Confucius)
#62970 - 04/07/05 7:45 am Re: Clutch nut 74/850  
Kommandokenny Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kommandokenny  Offline
BritBike Forum member

McKellar,Ontario
Thanks guys,I will leave it for now .
The old circlip that holds the clutch centre in was in good shape when I removed it. [no sign of stress from over torqueing] I did put a new one on any way as per warnings from other riders.kk

#62971 - 04/07/05 8:26 am Re: Clutch nut 74/850  
Kommandokenny Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kommandokenny  Offline
BritBike Forum member

McKellar,Ontario
CLUTCH TO MAINSHAFT NUT: [From Old Britts]

"The factory torque setting for this nut is 70 ft lb., however this torque setting runs the risk of breaking the clutch locating circlip (06-0752). It is recomended that you use locktight on this nut and torque to 35 or 40 ft lb. If you do want to use 70 ft lb. you should use a new circlip each time this nut is removed".

Upon further research of this circlip saga, I'm finding I may have my circlips mixed up!I replaced the circlip that holds the clutch centre in 06-0753 and not the clutch locating circlip 06-0752 I did not see this last circlip and am asuming its behind the clutch basket on the mainshaft .Anymore input would be greatly appreciated.kk

#62972 - 04/07/05 9:04 am Re: Clutch nut 74/850  
Commando 750 Offline
BritBike Forum
Commando 750  Offline
BritBike Forum

Veracruz, Mexico
Always use a new circlip.
Never overtorque.
Use the lower torque number and it will be fine.
You will know when the circlip goes, as the clutch will begin to hang up and the entire basket will be "wobbling" and it will drive you insane to find the problem until you know what to look for.
Be sure to install the circlip correctly, flat edge towards gear box, bevelled edge towards basket.

#62973 - 04/07/05 4:05 pm Re: Clutch nut 74/850  
Kommandokenny Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kommandokenny  Offline
BritBike Forum member

McKellar,Ontario
Commando Thanks for the info. I know I will wonder which way the circlip goes when I get around to replacing it.
I guess my next question is do I strip it back down now or wait and see if the circlip fails?It is already torqed down to 70/lbs and I'm using the old clip ,it seems to be fine. Would it have sheared off already or am I in for some surprises down the road?kk

#62974 - 04/07/05 9:44 pm Re: Clutch nut 74/850  
Commando 750 Offline
BritBike Forum
Commando 750  Offline
BritBike Forum

Veracruz, Mexico
KKenny, you should be fine because you would for sure have noticed the symptoms by now.
I had this problem and it took a while to track it down, a good friend was the one who suspected it and sure enough found it quick. What happens is that the clutch, lever pulled in, doesn't work properly and you "creep" a lot at stops to the point that you stall with the brakes on. It gets progressivly worse as you ride as it heats up at each stop. It mimics the typical dirty plate syndrome and hang up syndrome and will drive you nuts until you find it.
Besides that, my clutch had the following; broken strands in the cable, loose collar in the gearbox side, wrong lever position in the gearbox, and a jammed ball. I had hit the jackpot! I learned a lot about fixing things from some really good guys, I am happy to pass along the info because it helped me.
Like I say, you should be fine, if and when you need to dismantle the clutch you can poke around and do any upgrading but if it is running right, leave it alone.
Important to note here is that I am sure that Les Emery means the lower torque figure and of course, a healthy shot of Loc-tite!
Forgetting Loc-tite during maintenance is like a wedding without a bride!
When you get around to fitting a new circlip, be sure to take a good careful look at it and you will see what I mean. The flat edge goes towards the gearbox to anchor the circlip and the bevelled edge has the basket arrangement running smoothly against it. Do it backwards and the circlip will likely "slide".

#62975 - 04/07/05 10:47 pm Re: Clutch nut 74/850  
Kommandokenny Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kommandokenny  Offline
BritBike Forum member

McKellar,Ontario
Thanks again C750 . My clutch is perfect right now, after replacing the centre. It was getting hung up and the bike was starting to creep ahead at stop lights. The centre was the culprit as it was severely gouged up. Anyway, I printed up this post because it looks like they are not going to archive the old posts for very long anymore, and the info is great! kk

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.188s Queries: 14 (0.053s) Memory: 0.8511 MB (Peak: 1.0382 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-24 02:14:37 UTC