BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Alan Lonneville
Alan Lonneville
Ohio,USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
51 registered members (Alan_nc), 264 guests, and 405 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Davenz13, Sean65, Rerock, pkuzyk, Hunter S
10476 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 89
franko 71
Triless 67
Popular Topics(Views)
746,989 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,810
Posts670,256
Members10,476
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 6T valve guide woes [Re: John Healy] #627024
11/23/15 10:09 pm
11/23/15 10:09 pm
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
I'm glad to hear that. I've knocked in quite a few guides in my time(I've busted my share of iron guids, too :D) Done my own valve jobs, too. Not a pro, but a conscientious hobbyist.

I don't anymore. I've got guys who do it better than I do for pretty cheap.

My bikes always seem to run just fine. I've never seized a guide, not even once.

Of course, if I wanted to make a really high performance head, I'd send it to a guy I know on the mainland, and pay through the nose. What choice do you have?

All this talk of how so many machine shops have ruined heads and screwed up valve guides really had me worried that I was one of the butchers.....the proof though, is in the pudding. Does your bike perform the way you expect it to? Mine do.

Cheers,

Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: 6T valve guide woes [Re: HawaiianTiger] #627033
11/23/15 11:47 pm
11/23/15 11:47 pm
Hawaii USA
C
cas.vanderwoude Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
cas.vanderwoude  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
C

Hawaii USA
hi Bill,
Before I reply - and "just for let you know", I think I have your old Commando here (next project). Bought it from Don on Oahu.

And yes, I live in the Hilo boondocks but my machinist here is a good and conscientious guy. I'm sure if I told him to make sure to cut the seat Concentric to the valve, he would give me a smart (and well deserved) smack to the back of my head (and then jam my cylinder head where the sun don't shine). He's not an idiot and he will do the best he can. He knows his trade - its just that there are probably 3 triumphs on the whole island so its not a job he does every day...

And folks - its a 1964 6T!!! This was a blue collar workers motorcycle to get dad to the factory so he could put bread on the table. I have singles with more horses!. All I'm after is a nice reliable plodder to get me the 4 or so miles to and fro work every day without gassing the car behind me with smoke. My mistake was to not buy the softer guides.

We're arguing 1 or 1.5 thou clearance here. Original specs say 4 thou is ok. I'm sure all will be well. If not, I'll just buy another head parted out from another Triumph (sad to see them parted out, but there you go...)

OK - now I will "brace for impact" and have another Cold Turkey... Aloha!

Re: 6T valve guide woes [Re: cas.vanderwoude] #627108
11/24/15 2:49 pm
11/24/15 2:49 pm
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
Cas,

I've only had one Commando, so it can't be mine. Maybe Dave Webster, a real Norton/Guzzi nut here.

I did sell a '62 Thunderbird to a nice couple in Kona a few years ago. That makes at least one more Triumph over there.

[Linked Image]

They won't sell it back to me...dang....

This bike's head I sent to the mainland for the works and it was 8-10 years ago now. I got the Amco 45 guides and 7mm Kibblewhite black diamond valves, 500cc racing springs and titanium retainers. Total overkill for a backroad cruiser. Oh, well, should never have to mess with it again...

[Linked Image]

I think I've overcome most of the challenges of trying to build a decent Triumph out in the middle of the Pacific. Shipping is still kind of a sore spot....

Drop me a note if you get hung up on something. I still have some parts, tools and whatnot. I've backed way off working on bikes and concentrate on my other hobby mostly, which is antique electric fans.

If you get a chance, send your numbers to the National Motorcycle museum in England. The do record searches for free. Maybe I can find the email address here somewhere...

Many T-birds that are here were originally bought by Montgomery Motors in Honolulu at auctions in Australia. Australia used T-birds for some years as police bikes. This bike was one of them. It was found on Molokai in deplorable condition.

[Linked Image]

Montgomery Motors brought them over, customized them, and sold them mostly to servicemen.

This was one of my most expensive restorations....by far.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited by HawaiianTiger; 11/24/15 8:09 pm.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
Re: 6T valve guide woes [Re: cas.vanderwoude] #627111
11/24/15 3:16 pm
11/24/15 3:16 pm
Hawaii USA
C
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C

Hawaii USA
Bill -
thats a beautiful 6T!

Mine has an interesting history. Once upon a time 3 buddies went to Vietnam. They were not on vacation. Only two came home. The third guy had purchased a 6T new and it was his pride and joy. His buddies kept it in his memory, rode it around the block every few months to make sure it didn't lock up.

After 45 years, the buddy decided he should let it go so it could once again roam free in its natural habitat. It took me about 2 years of talking/begging to acquire the bike. Tears flowed on the day he finally decided to let go. Aside from chromed oil tank and side cover, she is in absolute original condition. A bit of rust here and there, and the fender paint is a bit faded. Too nice to restore so I'm just gonna love and maintain ride her as-is.

I think the smoking exhaust is from worn guides. I imagine there was enough time between rides for the guides to get a little rusty - every ride scrubbed away the previous rust layer and the guides wore faster than normal. One of those things where it's not necessarily the miles done but the time it stood still that did the damage.

I still talk to the PO regularly and he is welcome to take her for a ride whenever it pleases him.

Re: 6T valve guide woes [Re: cas.vanderwoude] #627116
11/24/15 4:08 pm
11/24/15 4:08 pm
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
Cas,

That's a pretty cool story. Yeah, the valve guides take a beating if the bike is stored and run only occasionally.

Maybe you can post a pic or two of this beauty. Still has the nacelle?

My neighbor is an ex jarhead F4 back seater who bought this bike new in '71 when he was coming back from 'Nam.

1971 Triumph T100C
[Linked Image]

It still only has less than 4k miles from new. I've restored this bike for him now.....twice. The first time, it just needed a paint job and a careful going over. The second time it got powder coated parts and new chrome and all hardware re-cad plated.

Runs like a swiss watch.....a bit buzzy on the highway...low gearing, but sweet.

Since I've been back on Maui, I've done up a half dozen Triumphs that are now back on the road. Most linger in garages here because of the lack of expertise to get them running and keep them that way. There are an unknown number of Triumphs here and all over the state. I know of probably a couple dozen here, but there is likely four or five times that number actually here.

In addition to that, there is a Brough Superior here, a 30's BSA single, at least four rigid Triumphs, three that I'm responsible for and the other day I spotted a British Racing Green 750 going down Haleakala highway two up and I couldn't catch him.( I was in my car).

I don't look for work...it finds me...but I still get some satisfaction out of getting another one back on the road.

A buddy of mine over on Kauai had this bike over there.
1976 T140
[Linked Image]
I worked on it for him a couple of times. Once after he crashed it going over the Wailua river bridge. He moved to Maui, then a couple of years later I did too. Then one day earlier this year, this guy shows up in my driveway with the same bike. Gotta love island life....

Mechanically, it was pretty good, but with new AMAL Premiers and a Pazon ignition installed, it runs super now. A paint job, new brake rotors and exhaust system really smartened it up, too.

This bike has about 5k miles from new, too. Those are my favorites to work on.

We almost have enough running Triumphs here for a club......

Cheers,

Bill

PS Sorry....it's pissing rain all day and I don't have any projects right now....

B.

Last edited by HawaiianTiger; 11/24/15 4:11 pm.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
Re: 6T valve guide woes [Re: HawaiianTiger] #627177
11/24/15 10:21 pm
11/24/15 10:21 pm
Hawaii USA
C
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C

Hawaii USA
Bill, I don't have any flattering images but here is one as-pulled from the PO's garage. Would you believe he lost the Ca title and somehow got the Hawaii system to issue him with a new one?
I added new tires, Boyer ignition, solid state reg/rect, new chain and a '69 front wheel (the old one is in the shed).

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Re: 6T valve guide woes [Re: cas.vanderwoude] #627184
11/24/15 11:28 pm
11/24/15 11:28 pm
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
Sweet. These T-birds are great cruisers, usually smoother than TR6's and Bonnie because of their lower power and consequently more reliable, too. Such a deal. Since they weren't very popular in their day(everyone wanted faster sport models, of course) and they were seen as old man's bikes, that's always kept the prices lower. But everyone who has one will tell you what good bikes they are.

Great mod, too, with that front wheel. Note my '62 has one, too, but maybe you missed it. I tried to disguise it by cutting off the outside ring and polishing the whole thing.

Also, I love the sound of those whopping big mufflers. Lotsa "boom" from them making them sound like bigger bikes.

You scored yourself a real treasure there.

Cheers,

Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
Re: 6T valve guide woes [Re: cas.vanderwoude] #627187
11/24/15 11:54 pm
11/24/15 11:54 pm
Out There!
N
Nick Offline
BritBike Forum member
Nick  Offline
BritBike Forum member
N

Out There!
If you like talk story about loco-kine bikes, here's tree more.

(Any machine work I can't do myself I send to the mainland or the UK the price of shipping is well worth the peace of mind.)

'70 Daytona
[Linked Image]

67 Bonnie (750 etc.)
[Linked Image]

70 Bonnie
[Linked Image]

When people who should have known better cautioned me about the dangers of motorcycle racing, I always told them that a fear of death is nothing more than a fear of life in disguise.
Re: 6T valve guide woes [Re: Nick] #627243
11/25/15 1:34 pm
11/25/15 1:34 pm
Hawaii USA
C
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C

Hawaii USA
hi Nick,
Beautiful motorcycles. Where you stay? Oahu?
are these all yours?

Re: 6T valve guide woes [Re: cas.vanderwoude] #627275
11/25/15 5:56 pm
11/25/15 5:56 pm
Out There!
N
Nick Offline
BritBike Forum member
Nick  Offline
BritBike Forum member
N

Out There!
Thanks, but not really that beautiful, however they all run well and the oil's clean - that's about all I worry about.

PM sent

When people who should have known better cautioned me about the dangers of motorcycle racing, I always told them that a fear of death is nothing more than a fear of life in disguise.
Re: 6T valve guide woes [Re: cas.vanderwoude] #628264
12/01/15 4:12 pm
12/01/15 4:12 pm
Hawaii USA
C
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C

Hawaii USA
A quick update...

Got the head back from my machinist and all looks good. re-assembled everything over the thanksgiving weekend without any fuss. Having a few grounding issues that I'm fiddling with but got her started (second kick) and all seems to run just as it should. Hopefully I'll have the electrical issues resolved tonight in readiness for a test ride tomorrow. Time will tell how adequate the whole job is I guess, but so far, so good.

I must admit I'm a little surprised at just how many old trumpies are around in Hawaii. I hear people complaining all the time about the lack of classic Brit bikes over here, but there seem to be an awful lot of them around...

Re: 6T valve guide woes [Re: cas.vanderwoude] #628317
12/01/15 6:26 pm
12/01/15 6:26 pm
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
Cas,

Well done and enjoy the fruits of your labors.

As far as how many Triumphs are around. Get this. The frame and many of the bits I sourced for my current ride came from a guy in Pahoa. He was building a duplex framed T120 last I heard. So right in your neck of the woods is another Triumph nut.

I started my project with a motor I sourced from a guy here on Maui a number of years ago. He ran a bike shop back in the 60's and 70's and had 7 garages packed with parts, each garage dedicated to a different brand of bike. His family wanted it all gone after he passed away and charged 500$ per pick up truck load. I could only afford two, but I got probably four complete bike projects and a lot of parts. This was in it.

[Linked Image]

I sold most of it off locally and there are several bikes running around complete from my parts score.

I made this bike from one of the projects. Non matching numbers and no paperwork. I run Vermont license plate on it and haven't had any hassles so far. (Knock on wood) I should say the numbers match now since the frame I got from the man on the Big Island was never stamped. Very cool.

This is what it looks like now.

[Linked Image]

I call it the Flying Tiger since it's a mix of Tiger 110 parts and Thunderbird parts.

This picture was taken at the winery up the road from me. I eat at the little shop across the street. They have Elk and Molokai Venison burgers there....yum...

I have a '63 frame and a '69 TR6 set of cases and a number of parts in my garage. One of these days I'll start on a 750 street tracker project.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited by HawaiianTiger; 12/01/15 8:24 pm.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
Re: 6T valve guide woes [Re: cas.vanderwoude] #628555
12/03/15 9:06 am
12/03/15 9:06 am
Back on the mainland!
JubeePrince Offline

Born To Run
JubeePrince  Offline

Born To Run

Back on the mainland!
You guys in the Pacific are living the life!

Great stuff, thanks for sharing....

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Re: 6T valve guide woes [Re: cas.vanderwoude] #628610
12/03/15 4:14 pm
12/03/15 4:14 pm
Illinois, USA
TR6Ray Offline

BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by cas.vanderwoude
A quick update...

Got the head back from my machinist and all looks good. re-assembled everything over the thanksgiving weekend without any fuss. Having a few grounding issues that I'm fiddling with but got her started (second kick) and all seems to run just as it should. Hopefully I'll have the electrical issues resolved tonight in readiness for a test ride tomorrow. Time will tell how adequate the whole job is I guess, but so far, so good.

Good news for sure! So, my worries were unfounded. Your bike has an elegant look. I'm glad it has found a good home.

Ray

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership