BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
sprung hub
sprung hub
Sacramento, CA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
31 registered members (998John), 289 guests, and 408 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
vietnammotorbike, Lennart Liljedah, Mal Wood, FireGuyKC, spuggy
10288 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 94
Lannis 65
Mori55 60
Popular Topics(Views)
636,022 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,365
Posts654,052
Members10,288
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625644
11/13/15 10:08 pm
11/13/15 10:08 pm
Illinois
crazyeyeschase Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
crazyeyeschase  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Illinois
And yes i did get a bolt and washer today but silly me mis-read 28 for 20 and the thread count isn't correct.

I spent a whopping $0.12 on both bolt and washer tomorrow ill get the correct threaded bolt and still spend no more than $0.50 for a quick repair even though the grade 8 bolt is likely than the bolt originally equipped.

Now a few days ago i had messaged a family member and asked if they knew anything about the bike as to why it was garaged. They said no but their dad would know because well he is my grandfathers brother and the bike was at his house for years.

Just got a message back simply saying "Magnito" which is indeed the 5PU. As to weather or not the issue is the bolt causing the reluctor to wiggle and not produce enough current time will tell. Other wise it looks like i need to perform some more electrical tests.

2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

Project Bike
1983 Triumph TSX
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625660
11/14/15 1:32 am
11/14/15 1:32 am
Florida PanHandle
Zombie Offline
BritBike Forum member
Zombie  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Florida PanHandle
Cool.

It's not the current that is effected if the splurgfast is loose. It's the actual timing. When the signal is produced.

Now if there were a greater gap between he splurgfast, and the pick up the signal could get erratic, and misfires would happen. All that set up does is send a signal to the ingition module telling it when to fire. The amount of power in the ignition has nothing to do with the splurgfast or the pick up.

Oh yeah... I figured out why they call it a reluctor... There is already a rotor for the stator on the opposite side of the engine. If they were both called rotors it would lead to anarchy. Like bolts! If someone says "replace the bolt" it could lead to real grief.

Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625672
11/14/15 4:42 am
11/14/15 4:42 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi Chase,

Originally Posted By crazyeyeschase
Just got a message back simply saying "Magnito" which is indeed the 5PU. As to weather or not the issue is the bolt causing the reluctor to wiggle and not produce enough current time will tell. Other wise it looks like i need to perform some more electrical tests.

The 5PU is not a "Magnito" nor, as explained already, does the reluctor produce any "current"; it and the pick-up simply signal the Rita amp. when to cut LT power to the coils to generate an HT spark.

In simple terms, if you wave a magnet near another piece of metal, you generate electron movement (electricity). The alternator works on the same principle.

In the case of the reluctor and pick-up, the closer the magnet gets to the other piece of metal, the greater the electron movement. If the piece of metal is shaped precisely (e.g. like the reluctor) and placed a certain distance from the magnet, the increase and speed of increase in electron movement can be measured precisely. The reluctor spinning on the end of the exhaust camshaft causes tiny Voltage rises in the pick-up; these rises are transmitted to the amp. (so the wires and any connections must be very good - no damage or corrosion); the amp. circuitry measures the increase and the speed of the increase to calculate how much to retard the coil LT switch-off electronically from full advance so the HT spark is generated at the correct time for the engine speed. bigt

Just so all the intervening chit-chat didn't make you forget, from one of my earlier posts:-
Originally Posted By Stuart
If you don't see sparks when you turn the engine over, it might be that corrosion has got into the connections in the the White/Orange and/or White/Purple wires between the Rita amplifier and the pick-up:-

. Trace those wires and make sure the connections are clean; iirc there are only connections between the amp. and the wires in the main harness, and the pick-up and the main harness. You could also check for continuity between the amp. and pick-up through those wires, to ensure the wires aren't damaged.

. When you have the connections apart, connect a jump-lead to the amp. White/Purple and, with the ignition turned on, touch the other end of the jump lead briefly to somewhere on the engine - you should see a stream of sparks at the plugs.

. When you have the pick-up's connections apart, measure the resistance (Ohms) between the pick-up's White/Orange and White/Purple wires and post what you see.

The last test is described in the aforementioned '79-supplement-in-the-'78-workshop-manual - page 10, "Test 5". However, if you measure other than the quoted "650 - 750 ohms", don't panic straight away, there was another version of the 5PU with resistance in the 1100-to-1200-Ohm range ... smile Only panic if you're conducting the test precisely as described and you measure wildly outside either of those ranges ... help

Hth.

Regards,

Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625703
11/14/15 11:25 am
11/14/15 11:25 am
Illinois
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Illinois
So correct me if i am wrong but the 83' TSX does not have a magneto but in place of the magneto is the 5PU and the RITA.

The 5PU is more like a distributor cap rotor but instead of sending the pulse to the plug it sends it to the RITA which then sends it to the coils and so on. correct?

So once i get a temporary bolt in place i need to test for resistance between both wires coming from the 5PU and the RITA.

I can also jump the RITA W/P and with the ignition turned on touch the lead to the bike (i am assuming you mean ground it?) and i should see a stream of sparks.

Project Bike
1983 Triumph TSX
Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625717
11/14/15 12:59 pm
11/14/15 12:59 pm
Illinois
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Illinois
I just orderd a feeler gauge with the correct thickness for both intake and exhaust valves and the spark plugs, as well as a cheap but decent caliper, and some pneumatic tools and air hose. At the end of the month ill purchase an air compressor.

Project Bike
1983 Triumph TSX
Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625757
11/14/15 6:31 pm
11/14/15 6:31 pm
Pacific northwest
Q
quinten Offline
BritBike Forum member
quinten  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Q
Pacific northwest
... A deep socket nut driver ?

The pillar bolts are a perfect match for
the hex socket of a muli-tip screwdriver

Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625759
11/14/15 6:43 pm
11/14/15 6:43 pm
Florida PanHandle
Zombie Offline
BritBike Forum member
Zombie  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Florida PanHandle
The 5/16" version works great on hose clamps as well.

Gets them tighter than a flat head screwdriver, but not too tight like a 1/4" drive ratchet/5/16" socket.

Good idea Mr. Quinten.

Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: quinten] #625778
11/15/15 12:38 am
11/15/15 12:38 am
Illinois
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Illinois
Originally Posted By quinten

The pillar bolts are a perfect match for
the hex socket of a muli-tip screwdriver

That would of worked wonders I am sure however my multi tools always seem to get stolen particularly by my fiancee so they are kept upstairs and my socket set is downstairs.

I just grabbed what ever deep well socket it it and used my ratchet to break it free and then unscrewed it by hand. When i replaced it i put it on by hand and then gave it less then a quarter turn using the ratchet. Just enough to keep it in place yet still tough to break free by hand.

Project Bike
1983 Triumph TSX
Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625794
11/15/15 4:53 am
11/15/15 4:53 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi Chase,

the 83' TSX does not have a magneto

Correct.

in place of the magneto is the 5PU and the RITA.

Uh-uh.

Triumph abandoned magnetos more than twenty years before your TSX was made (unless you count the Energy Transfer ignition inflicted on its competition bikes 'til the late 1960's). In place of magnetos, it fitted coils triggered by points mounted on a spring-governed mechanical auto-advance unit. Initially, Triumph fitted twins with a distributor behind the block driven from the inlet cam and a single coil; from '62, Triumph fitted twins with two coils and sets of points, the points and aau in that circular compartment on the timing cover, driven by the exhaust cam.

From the late 1960's, it was becoming obvious that, as peak power rpm went higher, points and mechanical aau simply couldn't provide accurate-enough spark timing so electronic ignitions were developed, initially for racers (that's the "R" in Rita). The Rita was available aftermarket from the early 1970's.

But, unlike modern engine management systems, these early e.i. simply replaced the mechanical points and aau, not how the ignition system worked. So the bikes still had the 'dwell-type' ignition coils used by the replaced points-'n'-aau albeit, because most early e.i. had only one coil output for marketing purposes (so the same basic electronics could be used with any number of cylinders from one upwards), Lucas always recommended two '6V' coils on a (12V) twin, three '4V' coils on a triple, etc.

However, in the case of Triumph twins, it was ever-more-stringent emissions regs. - requiring more-accurate spark timing - that led to the Co-op fitting Rita as standard '79-on in place of the points and mechanical aau.

The 5PU is more like a distributor cap rotor but instead of sending the pulse to the plug it sends it to the RITA which then sends it to the coils and so on. correct?

Mmmm ... it's unwise to look for similarities, you could end up confusing your understanding of the Rita.

The distributor itself works with a single coil - HT connected to the centre of the rotor arm - and, as the rotor arm rotates, its other end contacts individual cylinder HT contacts so the coil HT is directed to spark in the correct cylinder. The distributor as a whole only does timing advance and retard because it includes points and aau.

Otoh, the 5PU pick-up's White/Orange and White/Purple wires are only connected to the Rita amp. Because the Rita amp. and trigger unit are simply replacement for the old points-'n'-aau, no part of the Rita does HT, only the ignition coils.

The 5PU doesn't generate a "pulse". As I posted earlier, because the reluctor and the pick-up are a piece of metal and a magnet, tiny potential differences (Volts) and currents (Amps) are being generated all the time, rising and falling as the precisely-shaped edge of the rotor moves towards or away from the pick-up.

The electronics in the Rita amp. detect particularly the rises and measure the speed of a rise; because any rise and its speed are being caused by the approach of a reluctor edge to the pick-up, and the reluctor is on the end of the exhaust cam., the Rita can work out the engine speed and, from its built-in advance curve, when to turn off the LT power to the coils to generate an HT spark. The coils' LT circuit from the Rita amp. are the White/Yellow and White/Black wires, with a White/Pink between the two coils.

So once i get a temporary bolt in place i need to test for resistance between both wires coming from the 5PU and the RITA.

No, the presence or absence of the reluctor bolt has nothing to with the 5PU's connections to the amp.

The White/Orange and White/Purple wires and their connections must be in perfect condition so nothing corrupts the signal Voltages and currents between the 5PU and the amp. So you're:-

. looking very closely at any terminals in the White/Orange and White/Purple wires, for corrosion, breakage, poor connection to the wire conductor, etc., etc.;

. measuring the resistance between the White/Orange and White/Purple wires of the 5PU only, there you're looking for around either 650-Ohms-to-750-Ohms or 1100-Ohms-to-1200-Ohms;

. measuring the resistance along each wire - i.e. along the White/Orange and then along the White/Purple, between their terminals; there you're looking for as close to zero Ohms (perfect continuity) as possible. If at all possible, do this last test with the amp. and 5PU connected to the harness and the meter leads to the amp. or 5PU side of each connector; then you'll also be testing the resistance of the connections. bigt

I can also jump the RITA W/P and with the ignition turned on touch the lead to the bike (i am assuming you mean ground it?) and i should see a stream of sparks.

Yes. You know the coil switching is working from simply getting a spark when you turn the ignition switch off. This touching the amp. White/Purple to ground briefly for a stream of sparks then tells you that at least the timing part of the amp's electronics is working. Then you just need the 5PU and its connections to the amp. to be working for a complete ignition system ... whistle

Hth.

Regards,

Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625795
11/15/15 5:18 am
11/15/15 5:18 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi Chase,

The pillar bolts are a perfect match for the hex socket of a muli-tip screwdriver

That would of worked wonders I am sure however my multi tools always seem to get stolen
I just grabbed what ever deep well socket
When i replaced it i put it on by hand and then gave it less then a quarter turn using the ratchet.

Ime, get a proper 2BA socket or ring spanner to fit them. Good-quality 5/16"AF or 8 mm. AF are too small, 9 mm. AF are too big so only a cheap crappy "nut driver", "multi-tip screwdriver", "multi tool" or non-2BA socket will luckily fit 2BA properly. Use something that doesn't fit well and one day a pillar bolt will twist out of shape or round off ... frown

Regards,

Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625819
11/15/15 11:42 am
11/15/15 11:42 am
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
Oops, I had meant to recommend the little steel popsicle-stick feeler guages with one leaf on each end; most all-brands motorcycle shops sell them from national distributor catalogs. There is a set of 3 (6 different sizes) that covers Triumoh, BSA, and Norton valve adjusting. I think that good quality set is actually less expensive than 1 good quality set of feelers of which you will most likely only ever use 2 or 3 sizes...

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625821
11/15/15 12:04 pm
11/15/15 12:04 pm
Illinois
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Illinois
Thanks Stuart.

I just refereed the 5PU to a magneto because in my opinion they ditched the magneto for a better design.

I am only assuming when my great uncle says magneto when in reality means the 5PU. You have to remember this man hasn't worked on the bike in over 20 years and he is likely in his 80's.

I could be wrong in my assumption but if someone told you that the magneto for an 83 TSX was the cause of it getting garaged over 20 years ago what part of the bike would you look at first?

I know i shouldn't compare things like i do but this is what helps me understand I know they are different but to me they are somewhat similar but i doubt i can explain my logic behind that very well.

I understand using the right tool for the job and i am working on getting new tools as i go thus making this project harder. Trying to get the proper tolls and parts at the same time really chomps thru the money book.

And just so we all know i was actually using a 1/4" socket, and yes it did seem to have a very small amount of play and looking at the size chart it seems to be a 4BA. A 15/64" and a 6mm are both a tad to small.

0.220 inches = 5 BA
0.248 inches = 4 BA
0.250 inches = 1/4 inch AF
0.276 inches = 7mm

So were probably talking 0.002 of an inch of play.

Also I only mentioned ill test resistance once i get the correct bolt in because that was the next time ide be downstairs with the bike not trying to imply i thought adding the bolt would increase the resistance i know better than that lol.

Speaking of resistance i did do a test and from both wires i got 0.5 OHMS off of my multi meter. The worry some part of that is that my leads get 0.2 OHMS of resistance. Also any suggestions on checking resistance without having a piercing probe?

As far as the spark test it will need to wait until i have a day off of work and can sneak away from the boss lady for a few moments.

Project Bike
1983 Triumph TSX
Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: GrandPaul] #625823
11/15/15 12:12 pm
11/15/15 12:12 pm
Illinois
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Illinois
Originally Posted By GrandPaul
Oops, I had meant to recommend the little steel popsicle-stick feeler guages with one leaf on each end; most all-brands motorcycle shops sell them from national distributor catalogs. There is a set of 3 (6 different sizes) that covers Triumoh, BSA, and Norton valve adjusting. I think that good quality set is actually less expensive than 1 good quality set of feelers of which you will most likely only ever use 2 or 3 sizes...

Is this the one you are talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GTZ..._1_1&sr=8-1

I have no issues getting something else. I was trying to find a Valve gauge but couldn't find anything that had both .006, .008 and some others that could be used for other things.

Let me know and ill buy it now and it should arrive around the same time as the others.

Project Bike
1983 Triumph TSX
Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625824
11/15/15 12:19 pm
11/15/15 12:19 pm
Illinois
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Illinois
Actually i think this is the one you are talking about it has one of each size
http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0055...eywords=08-0055
There are 2 of each size in this one

I am thinking the first link is 3 .006 - .008 cards. Not really wanting to spend $25 however.

Or there is this option
option 3

Last edited by crazyeyeschase; 11/15/15 12:25 pm.

Project Bike
1983 Triumph TSX
Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625832
11/15/15 1:06 pm
11/15/15 1:06 pm
Boston, Massachusetts
J
John Healy Offline
BritBike Forum member
John Healy  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
Boston, Massachusetts
Quote:
Just got a message back simply saying "Magnito" which is indeed the 5PU.

Boy this is heavy lifting... The reference to a magneto could just as easily be either a ARD magneto or electronic ignition or Joe Hunt magneto, so any discussion, without any real facts, is just speculation. I am curious, considering with the discussion of a magneto, is why the area around the boss for the screws is welded.

Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: John Healy] #625837
11/15/15 1:32 pm
11/15/15 1:32 pm
Illinois
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Illinois
Originally Posted By John Healy
Quote:

Boy this is heavy lifting... The reference to a magneto could just as easily be either a ARD magneto or electronic ignition or Joe Hunt magneto, so any discussion, without any real facts, is just speculation. I am curious, considering with the discussion of a magneto, is why the area around the boss for the screws is welded.

My family isn't giving me much info and i only have contact thru one person so its all going thru the pipeline and im sure their was more info that could have been had that i am missing.

As mentioned they haven't worked on the bike in over 20 years and my grandfathers brother is close to his 80's so their is no telling what he actually meant.

I could just be making (more of) an ass out of myself assuming he means the 5PU or part of that system.

Many of this family i have never meet and if i did i was 6 months old (now 27). Also many of them are angry that I have the bike and they dont so its a little tricky trying to get anything out of them.

Project Bike
1983 Triumph TSX
Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625847
11/15/15 3:53 pm
11/15/15 3:53 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline
fefsa
kevin roberts  Offline
fefsa
ohio, usa
why does your fiancee take your tools?

i have no idea what i'm doing.
Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: John Healy] #625854
11/15/15 4:48 pm
11/15/15 4:48 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi John,

Quote:

The reference to a magneto could just as easily be either a ARD magneto or electronic ignition or Joe Hunt magneto, so any discussion, without any real facts, is just speculation.

Post #615493 - 02 September 2015, 00:34 - the very first post to this thread.

Post #625467 - 12 November 2015, 19:52
I then took the timing cover off the 5PU cover to check the fixing studs and as you can tell they are a little off center.

After thirty-eight years with at least one Rita, you really think I can't tell the difference between one - standard on a '83 TSX - and an ARD or Hunt magneto?

Regards,

Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: kevin roberts] #625863
11/15/15 5:38 pm
11/15/15 5:38 pm
Illinois
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Illinois
Originally Posted By kevin
why does your fiancee take your tools?

There's a few reasons.

1. You know the saying "my money is her money and her money is also heyalsr money" the same rule can apply to my (her) tools wink
2. We have a 5yr old so and small screwdrivers or multitools are left upstairs for easy access.
3. She is a stay at home mom and works from home sewing and making things. So also all of my small vise grips or needle nose end up at her work station. The same goes with box cutters and even my solder iron.

So i have finally took the time to set up a "daddys money" account so i can buy myself things i need such as tools and bike parts. So each month i have about $300 to play with but that goes fast when getting tools.

Project Bike
1983 Triumph TSX
Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625872
11/15/15 6:42 pm
11/15/15 6:42 pm
Pacific northwest
Q
quinten Offline
BritBike Forum member
quinten  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Q
Pacific northwest
Originally Posted By Stuart
Hi Chase,

The pillar bolts are a perfect match for the hex socket of a muli-tip screwdriver

That would of worked wonders I am sure however my multi tools always seem to get stolen
I just grabbed what ever deep well socket
When i replaced it i put it on by hand and then gave it less then a quarter turn using the ratchet.

Ime, get a proper 2BA socket or ring spanner to fit them. Good-quality 5/16"AF or 8 mm. AF are too small, 9 mm. AF are too big so only a cheap crappy "nut driver", "multi-tip screwdriver", "multi tool" or non-2BA socket will luckily fit 2BA properly. Use something that doesn't fit well and one day a pillar bolt will twist out of shape or round off ... frown

Regards,

All my pillar bolts measure 1/4 " across the flats
... the most common hex-head screw driver tips used in north America ,
if not the whole world , measure 1/4" across the flats .
The tool-handle that can hold a hex-tip provides the same fit to a pillar bolt .
Some hex-shank 'chucks' capture only 'most' of the hex-length .
A screwdriver handle designed to hold these 'double-ended' tips , totally captures a pillar bolt , right down to the threads .
Are pillar bolts and screwdriver tips different in england ?

Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625886
11/15/15 9:38 pm
11/15/15 9:38 pm
Boston, Massachusetts
J
John Healy Offline
BritBike Forum member
John Healy  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
Boston, Massachusetts
Stuart before you get your nickers in a twist lets get a bit of perspective:

Explain to me how a stock Rita plate could damage the timing cover. Look at the crack in the bottom stud boss. Why is the crack along the filet either side of the bottom boss coated with Three Bond?

Then look at the top boss. What is going on here. It looks like the boss has been repaired. It certainly has been damaged. The only time I see kind of damage is when someone has had a Hunt magneto hung off the timing cover. The type that sit off to the side, rather than run with a belt, and mounted in front of the cylinder. What I am seeing is from a possible accident where the mag hit something and the studs which hold on the magneto damaged the cover.

Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625889
11/15/15 10:16 pm
11/15/15 10:16 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline
fefsa
kevin roberts  Offline
fefsa
ohio, usa

So i have finally took the time to set up a "daddys money" account so i can buy myself things i need such as tools and bike parts. So each month i have about $300 to play with but that goes fast when getting tools.

spend a few bucks right now on a toolbox with drawers and a hasp for a padlock. you're likely to end up with a few expensiv tools sooner or later and a lock will keep them in one spot and under your control.

something like this is fine:

i have no idea what i'm doing.
Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625891
11/15/15 11:32 pm
11/15/15 11:32 pm
Illinois
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Illinois
A nice tool box is definitely on the list. Here is a list of some things I’ve bought thus far (not the best but it should work well enough)
Pneumatic Tool Kit
100’ Air Hose
Pistol Grip Blowgun Not really needed but I think it will be handy
Digital Caliper w/Case
26 Blade Feeler Gauge
Valve Gauges

The next purchase that will happen around Dec 11th will be a 1.8HP 20 Gallon compressor

I decided to pass on the 8 gallon and just spend the extra and get the 20 gallon.

After that I’ll be on the lookout for a decent tool box or tool chest. Then I need to save a little for the woman’s birthday (she won’t like all these new tools coming in so got to make her happy).

Then I’m going to try and save for 2-3 months and get myself a running bike so I can get more experience on the road.

Project Bike
1983 Triumph TSX
Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: John Healy] #625909
11/16/15 3:57 am
11/16/15 3:57 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi John,

The only time I see kind of damage is when someone has had a Hunt magneto hung off the timing cover.

Uh-uh. You posted:-
Quote:

The reference to a magneto could just as easily be either a ARD magneto or electronic ignition or Joe Hunt magneto, so any discussion, without any real facts, is just speculation.

The bike's owner - Chase The O.P. - has posted several pictures showing his bike fitted at this time with a standard Lucas Rita electronic ignition. So where am I "speculating" and exactly what "real facts" am I "without"?

Aiui - both from following this thread from its beginning some two-and-a-half months ago and Chase's earlier thread on the TriumphRat CVV forum - at this time:-

. Chase's immediate goal is simply to run his Triumph's engine before he strips it down;

. the engine won't start;

. all the "real facts" I see point to the bike being fitted with a standard e.i.;

. I'm trying to help Chase eliminate the possibility that the standard e.i. is preventing him starting the engine.

Otoh, apart from a one-word message from one of Chase's relatives, what "real facts" are there that the bike is not fitted with a standard e.i. at this time?

If speculation got a bike fixed, based on this thread, Chase'd be riding a fully-restored '83 TSX ...

Regards,

Re: My 1983 Triumph TSX [Re: crazyeyeschase] #625914
11/16/15 5:48 am
11/16/15 5:48 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi Chase,

I need to save a little for the woman’s birthday (she won’t like all these new tools coming in so got to make her happy).

Tools for her.

Regards,

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership