BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
MusketVtwin
MusketVtwin
columbus ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
208 registered members (Adam M.), 1,831 guests, and 544 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 188
koan58 100
Stuart 88
NickL 65
Popular Topics(Views)
436,968 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,270
Posts632,132
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#310312 - 04/28/10 3:25 am Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single [Re: flgoff]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: flgoff
laugh

Dude!....snip....and waving goodbye as you turned out of my driveway, but even that was definitely my pleasure!....snip Floyd aka Sonny

It seems more and more these days, my leaving brings out the smiles???????????????? laughing

"I'm a hazard to myself
don't let me get me
I'm my own worst enemy
it's bad when you annoy yourself" pink

Cheers....Gordon Gray in NC, USA

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 04/28/10 3:54 am.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#311707 - 05/05/10 2:05 pm Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Just a quick update...I have the sidecar tug ready (1967 B44VR) but I have the Three State Mountain Ride coming up in a week and I'm going to use that week at the campground to shake it down. THEN after the weekend...I'll either be working on the VR or attaching the sidecar to it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I figure those group rides out of the campground...will not be a good place to learn how to drive a sidecar rig...I'll save that for safer time....for everybody.

Set up soon to follow......(hopefully)...subframe's painted and ready to go. Tire has been replaced on the car.

Take care....your friend in NC, USA Gordon Gray

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/05/10 2:06 pm.
#317819 - 06/10/10 1:52 am Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Ed Sidders Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ed Sidders  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Northeast Texas
About 35 years ago I built a sidecar frame that worked out very well....I can't remember a lot of the details but I do remember that I attached the frame to the bike at the bottom using heim type ball ends with male threads on the shank for adjustment and about midways at the single top attachment I used a turnbuckle to adjust the lean..I later built what was essentially a turnbuckle with a reversible DC motor drive...That way I could trim the sidecar lean angle to make it track straight at any speed...Wish I had some pictures and memory from that time period is a little fuzzy ...You are doing very well on the sidehack project...I built a tube frame and fabric covered mine except for the plywood floor...I'm working on a deal now for a B50SS and had thoughts about another sidecar..
East Texas Ed

Last edited by Ed Sidders; 06/10/10 1:55 am.
#320447 - 06/27/10 1:36 pm Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single [Re: Ed Sidders]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Hey Ed, Sorry I missed your post back when you posted it. I've been working out of town and pretty much away from the computer.

Man oh man.....adjust lean on the go??? Now that is to cool...I would have REALLY liked to see that in person.

I'm still plugging along on my project....work and life have got in the way but I'm slowly getting back to where I can do some work on the sidecar rig.....so I'll post updates soon.

Thanks for taking the time to share.....good luck with the B50SS and let us have a peek if and when you get a chance.

Take care....Gordon Gray in NC, USA

#320449 - 06/27/10 1:43 pm Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
For those of you that have been following this project...and figured I had dropped of the face of the Earth...I'm still here and the project is just about to start moving forward (pun intended) again.

I was waiting until I got the Three State Mountain Ride behind me before I set up the rig....BUT I got called back to work and have been pulling 12 hour days...two weeks at a time since I went back...all away from home. So by the time I get to come home I'm busy catching up on grass mowing and stuff and there little time for motorcycles. BUT...there was another small setback. If you remembered, the bike I'm using as a tug hadn't been running for a couple of years ( down with a busted main case)....but was back together and running for the Three State...ran fine...needed a little tweaking in the tuning department but I was pleased with the way it was running.....BUT...the liner (Hursh) in the tank started to break down and the tank was suffering from the newer gas we have to deal with. So I've been working on that problem and with the help from my friend Don Roe I think I'm almost ready to have the bike running again. I'll probably get a chance to actually attach the car to the bike next weekend....stay tuned for pictures and an update.

Take care.....your friend in NC, USA Gordon Gray

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 06/27/10 1:45 pm.
#320494 - 06/27/10 9:02 pm Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single [Re: Gordon Gray]  
D.Bachtel Online content
BritBike Forum member
D.Bachtel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

SLO County, CA
Hey Gordon... stop screwing around with that "space age" thermoglastic stuff and spend some of that money you're packing away on an Evan Wilcox sculptured alloy tank...

Get it together soon or you won't be sliding around corners until the snow flies..
not that there would be anything wrong with that! laugh

Take care, keep working!

Your buddy...

Don in Nipomo

#320501 - 06/27/10 9:26 pm Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single [Re: D.Bachtel]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: D.Bachtel
Hey Gordon... stop screwing around with that "space age" thermoglastic stuff and spend some of that money you're packing away on an Evan Wilcox sculptured alloy tank...snip....

Man that would be sweet....I hate lined/fiberglass but just can't seem to to put my hands on a steel one just yet. BTW....I had to sell 6 (six) alloy tanks while I was laid off. It's gona take me a long time to replace those.

I'm working on it.....and will report soon. GG

#320514 - 06/27/10 10:47 pm Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single [Re: Gordon Gray]  
D.Bachtel Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

SLO County, CA
Want a loner tank for the meantime? They ship pretty cheap...
Email me if interested.

Don in Nipomo

1956 Zundapp KS601EL
1960 Greeves Scottish/Hawkstone Velorex 560
1963 BSA Gold Star Spitfire
1964 Triumph T20SM
1965 BSA C15T
1966 BSA VE
1968 Bonham Tote Gote
1969 BSA VS
1970 BSA A65L (with a "Y")
1972 Husqvarna 450 WR
1986 Yamaha TT 225
1987 BMW K75C
#320517 - 06/27/10 11:23 pm Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single [Re: D.Bachtel]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: D.Bachtel
Want a loner tank for the meantime? They ship pretty cheap...Email me if interested.Don in Nipomo

No buddy I think I can live with the relined fiberglass for now. Alex was telling me that the WDB40 uses a steel tank...and is maybe the same as the earlier twins??? I owe him a B25 engine and when I get around to taking it to him I'll be able to see what he's talking about.
Hmmmm???? come to think of it....I'll be at his house (or nrxt door?) this coming weekend and there's a chance I'll be able to see it then. I do like the looks of that set up....not as much as the stock tank but I REALLY don't like the glass tanks.

Tanks for the offer....I'll get by for now with what I have waiting for me as soon as I go get it.

GG

#320519 - 06/27/10 11:32 pm Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Steve Erickson Online content
Steve Erickson  Online Content

The Northwoods... Michigan
Goob, I think the WDB40 tank was the same as the '70 B25 and the Fleetstar...

#320522 - 06/27/10 11:56 pm Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single [Re: Steve Erickson]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: Steve Erickson
Goob, I think the WDB40 tank was the same as the '70 B25 and the Fleetstar...

OP...you're probably right.

I'm thinking I might have misunderstood him and what he was sayiong was that he had a early model twin tank (pre unit) that they fit on Jim's B40...and it fit.

But for now....I gota go...I'm headed back to Sylva, NC so I can get up at 5am and get to work on time.

Rich and Barb.....I owe ya BOTH a return mail....and if I have service tomorrow...I'll get back to ya.

Take care.....your friend in NC, USA Gordon Gray aka Goob

#320535 - 06/28/10 2:01 am Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single [Re: Gordon Gray]  
D.Bachtel Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

SLO County, CA
I've seen the preunit twin tank on a Victor before, one with the small round badges.
It did look good....

Don in Nipomo

#320584 - 06/28/10 12:58 pm Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single [Re: D.Bachtel]  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
Gordon, I was out at Brushy Mtn. this weekend so hadn't seen your post. Yes, the tank I have is a small A10 tank and smaller than the WDB40 tank (which is VERY similar to the larger A10 tank). I guess that's why the tank fit Jim's WD very well while his stock tank was getting painted. You're certainly welcome to that tank (though I have to get it here from Florida...I figured out this weekend that I had given it to my friend Scott who was going to use it as a guinea pig for his plating operation), but those WD B40 tanks aren't exactly rare....I might be able to come up with one of those. I'll be in touch.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#350094 - 12/27/10 2:23 pm Sidecar on a BSA unit single...front end opinions? [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Hey hey hey.....and you thought you'd heard the last of the unit single side car thread...heh????? It has been on hold for several months....but has always been on my mind and I'm moving slowly...but still moving.

If you've been following my latest adventures you know I have my 1967 B44VR with me in Sylva, NC and have been enjoying the roads around that area. I had orginally set the VR up as my side car tug....but after thinking it over I want to keep the VR as it is so that means I need to build another unit single for the tug.

I got a frame from Alex (of Ton-up racing fame)...a 1968 B44SS frame. I needed a SS/VR frame because my subframe (see the thread above) attaches to the centerstand lugs on the frame and are an important part of the puzzle.

I have all the bits to put tthe tug together but I'm still up in the air as to which front end to use. I want BSA..not OIF BSA but the stock set up for the pre OIF. I don't have a 1968 front wheel (8" full width SLS)....or the later TLS. But I'm thinking this is the way I would like to go????(TLS) My BSA unit single guru is away for the holidays so I thought I'd ask the unit single experts on here for their opinion.

For a side car set up on a BSA unit single (64-70) which front end/front wheel set up would be best???

There are several to choose from...QD or caps, 7" offset, 8" offset, 8" full width SLS, 8" full width TLS...I want to stay away from the early full hub (Enduro Star) type.

Also....I'm clueless about the different front ends...would any capped lower work with the late model TLS???

Thanks in advance.....I'm going to get to try this thing out one way or the other...just need a little more time and help.

Take care.....Gordon Gray in NC, USA (aka GooberG)

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 12/27/10 2:28 pm.
#350099 - 12/27/10 3:23 pm Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single...front end opinions? [Re: Gordon Gray]  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
That sidecar is adding a lot of weight so 8" TLS is the way to go IMHO. The capped ends will work as long as the bracket engages the notch on the brake plate, this may restrict you to 69/70 capped fork ends as they have the longest reaching brackets. So you will havee a choice of rod 2 way damping or shuttle valve, the yokes set the distance apart which must match the 2 grooves on the axle but you can add new grooves if required.

#350102 - 12/27/10 3:37 pm Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single...front end opinions? [Re: kommando]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: kommando
That sidecar is adding a lot of weight so 8" TLS is the way to go IMHO. The capped ends will work as long as the bracket engages the notch on the brake plate, this may restrict you to 69/70 capped fork ends as they have the longest reaching brackets. So you will havee a choice of rod 2 way damping or shuttle valve, the yokes set the distance apart which must match the 2 grooves on the axle but you can add new grooves if required.

Thanks kommando...I was thinking the TLS was the way to go...of course that's one brake plate/wheel/front end I don't have so I'll have to see if I can find one (anybody???).

I got around to pulling out my spare front ends to see just what I had....geeze I knew a "little" about the difference in these...but now I'm sorta clueless to what bike some of these go to. I guess I need a wheel(TLS)first to see if they will work with the capped forks I have. I seem to have at least two types...so far all I see that's different is an extra tab for a fender brace????

The fun never ends..... laughing

Thanks again for taking the time to reply....have a safe and happy holiday....Gordon in NC....who's looking for a complete 18" TLS front wheel for a 1969-70 BSA B44SS.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 12/27/10 3:39 pm.
#350104 - 12/27/10 3:51 pm Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single...front end opinions? [Re: Gordon Gray]  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
The notch on the capped fork will engage both the 7" and 8" brakeplates if it is long enough. A late Triumph 500 may give you an 18" wheel with a 8" TLS, never seen one but I have seen ref to them, if not the 19" rim comes with the 8" and the 18" rim comes with the 7" brake.

#625371 - 11/11/15 9:39 pm Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single...front end opinions? [Re: kommando]  
old mule Online content
BritBike Forum member
old mule  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Chihuahuan Desert
and did we never see the finished combination?

#625534 - 11/13/15 12:09 am Re: Sidecar on a BSA unit single...front end opinions? [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
Gordon,
What's with the name change or am I the hundredth guy to ask? I have a TLS on my 68 B44SS that is dressed out like a VS cause of leaking tank issues. I think it came off a 70. I don't remember any issues fitting it up. A pic worth anything to you?

Mr Mike

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.557s Queries: 16 (0.033s) Memory: 0.9503 MB (Peak: 1.2413 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 04:40:27 UTC