BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auction JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auction
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
waspfarmer
waspfarmer
Vancouver Island
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
205 registered members (1xfatboy), 1,750 guests, and 571 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
iansouthoz, Lightning Sim, Simon.Holyfield, Bushcreature, Gary Shackleton
10035 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 145
kommando 105
Stuart 64
Popular Topics(Views)
477,176 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,724
Posts635,291
Members10,035
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625239
11/11/15 11:36 am
11/11/15 11:36 am
Pennsyltuckey
ricochetrider Online content OP

Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content OP

Moto Mojo
Pennsyltuckey
I busted out of the theater like it was on fire and jetted home. I fired off a quick text or two in vain, but I knew the boys were no doubt out n about. Not being one to let anything stand in the way of a good time, and as it was getting on in the day, I fired up the bike and rolled out, into the Wilde Blue Yonder. I rode upriver and turned into the sun, following the wheel as you do, loping over hill & dale, meandering hither & yon with my shadow following closely, enthusiastically urging me westward...

Soon enough, I turned off the state road PA 850. I began to slow down a little, riding along Sherman's Creek in the area of Warm Springs, towards the good ol Warm Springs Lodge, a site where Ive spent many a happy moment carrying on with friends over the years.

After following the creek for a while, I popped back out onto PA 74 going south. Once atop Waggoner's gap, I stopped to check my phone. Wade & Dave were in Mt Holly, not too far from Wade's, out across the Great Cumberland Valley. They'd eaten, but Wade wasn't feeling well. Seemed like the end of their day so I just continued following my wheel, riding with my shadow dancing about in a lively manner. Down the mountain I went, ambling out across the valley under full blue skies. With my spirit soaring, the twin motor singing, & the tires humming, out across the Valley I rode, enjoying the day.

Eventually, as it happens, all roads lead towards home.

I ended up heading eastward on PA 174, going into Boiling Springs. Cynthia, who had been up in Connecticut overnight visiting her family, would be home soon. I was adjusting my trajectory to land back at the house not too long after she was due to arrive.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 11/11/15 1:25 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625240
11/11/15 11:39 am
11/11/15 11:39 am
SLO County, CA
D.Bachtel Offline
BritBike Forum member
D.Bachtel  Offline
BritBike Forum member
SLO County, CA
Such a beautiful day Tom..

Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625247
11/11/15 12:07 pm
11/11/15 12:07 pm
Pennsyltuckey

Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo
Pennsyltuckey
In a perfect world, all things go smoothly. There are zero bumps and no surprises. Everybody lives happily ever after in fairy tale fashion, and life is glorious. One comes out unscathed and ends life as the Perfect Corpse, with fans, family, and followers glomming about to peer at their lovely if not oddly distorted countenance in some eery and stuffy funeral home parlor.

Yeah, right.

While I am NOT complaining, my life hasn't exactly been your typical fairy tale existence. There's been bumps, dips, wild swings up, down, back, forth.... Many around me have died while I somehow, have survived not only the general carnage, but myself in the process.

I have it so good, and am blessed in so many ways. I have learned many life lessons... and forgotten a few, too, I guess. Sometimes, you have to re-learn these lessons that life throws your way. I wouldn't say I'm a master of learning things, but I do happen to RE-learn pretty well! The bonus, of course being that, so far, I've always lived thru whatever "lesson" came my way.

Can't really say much about Sunday's crash. Last thing I saw as they shut the ambulance doors, was my formerly sweet ride being pushed to the side of the road, into the grass there. I got out my phone and called Cynthia who had just gotten home, to tell her she'd need to come get me at the hospital, and would she mind touching base with Wade to perhaps oversee or assist in loading my bike at Boiling Springs on her way to the Hospital?

Well, that went over about like a lead balloon at a rainy day parade.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 11/11/15 12:54 pm.

Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625251
11/11/15 12:47 pm
11/11/15 12:47 pm
Pennsyltuckey

Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo
Pennsyltuckey
Next day, I got up feeling like I'd been run thru a wringer. I'm slowly realizing that A: I'm human, and B; I'm an older human. My enthusiasm, let's say, hasn't arrived at this particular platform just yet. It's still stuck somewhere, suspended in a state of never ending, unyielding adolescence. This youthful enthusiasm is perhaps the key trademark of my existence. I do believe it'll live on well after I am gone.

Wade and I had a long series of texts back n forth. There was some mirth mixed in among the string of varying emotions that come with the assorted realizations which may typify a morning after a day such as yesterday. He soon enough went out and sent pix of the bike...
and dismay whirled into the blend.

I still haven't seen the bike, so cannot express any certainties about its state or future...
But take a gander for yourselves. I think we can all agree that the bodywork & tank, at least- sustained some pretty serious damages.

Hopefully the frame is OK. If it can be repaired fairly easily, I'll sink the money and time into it... if not, I guess I only really "need" so many bikes anyway. I'll be fine with what I have.
Meanwhile, unless there's a real warm streak near Christmas, my riding is done for the year.
Happily, I'm not too badly broken- "only" my L collarbone, which has a pretty serious fracture and is shattered to some degree, leaving pieces of bone "floating" about.

Thru it all, I was pretty lucky not to be injured worse, and not to have hurt anyone else. I guess the folks came out and spoke to Wade, Dave, and Cynthia as they were loading my bike that evening.
I'll let Wade tell it from his end.

So that brings this thread, quite literally, to a screeching halt. Thanks for riding along.

Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625253
11/11/15 1:03 pm
11/11/15 1:03 pm
Kent Garden of England
Kent Shaun Online content
BritBike Forum member
Kent Shaun  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Kent Garden of England
Tom bro dude, so WHAT happened, surely someone's told you by now, I've been in the same situation and a couple of days after, I'd been told what happened, even though I've never remembered...

AS for the bike, from this distance it don't look THAT bad, new bars, tank and fairing, and another side bag, then you're good to go. Over here our insurance would pay for all that stuff, or they'd *Write* the bike off, hand you a pile of money, you buy the bike back off them cheap, and fix it up yourself. Did that to the A10 and came out on top.. bigt

Bloody glad you're OK Bro, and DON'T do it again OK. Just get well, and get out on a bike asap, we're all waiting for the Ricochet Ridin' 2016 yarn to begin.. grin

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625254
11/11/15 1:05 pm
11/11/15 1:05 pm
SLO County, CA
D.Bachtel Offline
BritBike Forum member
D.Bachtel  Offline
BritBike Forum member
SLO County, CA
Life is controlled chaos. It's a constant struggle to avoid disaster.
Not easy being a human, things just aren't that simple, takes a lot of work.
One moment of inattentiveness, one moment of sensory disconnect and wham, you could be gone.

I'm glad you're around to share it with us Tom. The bike is a mess.
Heal up and enjoy the Holidays with all your blessings.

Hey, what did they do for your clavicle?
When I fractured mine decades ago they just treated it like a broken rib. Heal on it's own.

Don in Nipomo

Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625256
11/11/15 1:09 pm
11/11/15 1:09 pm
Pennsyltuckey

Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo
Pennsyltuckey
Shaun, me laddio...

Any & all further discussion, RE what happened exactly, will have to wait-
as those are strictly campfire yarns... so pack in some ales, pull up a stump....
and stay tuned my man.
And remember:

what happens at the campfire, stays at the campfire. wink

Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: D.Bachtel] #625258
11/11/15 1:11 pm
11/11/15 1:11 pm
Kent Garden of England
Kent Shaun Online content
BritBike Forum member
Kent Shaun  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Kent Garden of England
Tom Bro dude, here ya go my man, a rattle can and you're making a start...

http://www.eBay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R100RT-77-84-TwinSHOCK-Gas-Petrol-FUEL-TANK-R100S-R80-7-R100-R100RS-R80RT-/381450307341?hash=item58d035c70dgknYAAOSwwbdWL-M6

Loads of fairing bits on the Bay of E as well lad, why I wager it'll be a fun thing to do in the winter, once that collar bone knits together that is, mine took SIX weeks...

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: D.Bachtel] #625259
11/11/15 1:14 pm
11/11/15 1:14 pm
Pennsyltuckey

Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo
Pennsyltuckey
Originally Posted By D.Bachtel

Hey, what did they do for your clavicle?
When I fractured mine decades ago they just treated it like a broken rib. Heal on it's own.

Don in Nipomo

Don,
that's about it.
Doc said, "Take a month off, then come see me and we'll see how it's progressing."
Ever see a wiggle-worm try to hold still? Just another of life's challenges, I suppose. :sigh

Thanks for your kind words and wisdom.

Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625270
11/11/15 2:11 pm
11/11/15 2:11 pm
Pennsyltuckey

Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo
Pennsyltuckey
Just heard from some friends on face b**k that the crash was reported in the local gossip rag.

Local Paper Article

Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625281
11/11/15 2:48 pm
11/11/15 2:48 pm
NYC and York PA
wadeschields Online content
BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
NYC and York PA
Well not much more to tell . Dave M and I had a really nice ride out early on Sunday. I thought Tom said he was working that day and that we might hook up in the evening. After Dave and I decided we were hungry we stopped at the old sulfer spring resort town of Mt Holly Springs at a place called the Three Pines. Ive alway ridden by but awesome it was a trashy biker bar. Dave thought the same thing. But I neighbors go there for food so we thought we would try it. Actually a pretty cool place with a old hunting cabin feel mixed with "biker bar" laughing

Well As we sit down at a booth I pull my phone out of my pocket and see that Tom had been trying to call. Opps. He could have been riding with us too. Finally talk to him and he mentioned where he was and that he might ride to my house and meet us there. Dave hangs out for a while and we stare around the barn and the bikes for a while then Dave decides not to wait for Tom and rides home.

I start making some real progress on removing the engine out of my Victor project when I get a text from Tom that he "CRASHED!" and the bike needs picked up. At least thats what he was trying to say. So I text Dave to see if he can help me load it onto my trailer and of course he said yes.

We arrive at the scene and Tom's bike is up against a telephone pole and a 20 foot skid mark trailing off in that direction. Damage to the bike looked like he hit the pole too. But no marks on the pole. Man I hope he is OK. This looks bad.
While we were loading the Beemer onto the trailer a car pulls in front of us and the guy who gets out comes over and asks how Tom is doing and tells us that they are in the car that Tom hit. I do see damage on the rear passenger side of the car. He also said that the bike was pushed into its location by the pole. Thats a relief. We say thanks for stopping and all and they take off. Then Cynthia shows up with a "Canyon Strap" at Tom's request so that it wont hurt the fairing when we strap it down. I tell her that we wont be needing that shocked

More in a bit

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625289
11/11/15 3:30 pm
11/11/15 3:30 pm
Derbyshire UK
BeezaBryan Online content

BritBike Forum member
BeezaBryan  Online Content

BritBike Forum member
Derbyshire UK
Not the sort of ride report I care to read even though it is a case of all's well that ends well, kind of.
A wrecked machine can be repaired, the human machine takes more time and attention.
Lady Luck has been on your side Tom, long may she stay with you.

Now do as folks keep telling me Tom, take it easy and let the healing process take it's own time.
2c

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: BeezaBryan] #625293
11/11/15 3:59 pm
11/11/15 3:59 pm
USA
Dave M Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dave M  Offline
BritBike Forum member
USA
Toms' Karma bank had to be full!
The long skid mark and crushed tank indicates a fairly high rate of speed. This could easily have ended very badly. And yet, Tom was protected from more serious injury.
Airhead or Brit, the gods smiled down.

The cylinders, heads and carbs that afternoon appeared undamaged. The bike did roll and was steerable. If the frame is not cracked or bent, repairable, possibly?

We're glad you're still with us Tom!

66 TR6R Trophy
67 T120R Bonneville
68 BMW R60/US
69 T100R Daytona

Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625297
11/11/15 4:49 pm
11/11/15 4:49 pm
Back on the mainland!
JubeePrince Offline

Life member
JubeePrince  Offline

Life member
Back on the mainland!
What Dave M said!

According to Tom's own math, he just used up his third life. Being the Cool Cat he is, he's still got six in the bank! crazy

Seriously though, things could have been ALOT worse. Glad you (and the others) came through it "OK".

Heal well,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: Dave M] #625312
11/11/15 6:23 pm
11/11/15 6:23 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content

Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member
Central Virginia
Originally Posted By Dave M
Tom's Karma bank had to be full!
The long skid mark and crushed tank indicates a fairly high rate of speed. This could easily have ended very badly. And yet, Tom was protected from more serious injury.
Airhead or Brit, the gods smiled down.

The cylinders, heads and carbs that afternoon appeared undamged. The bike did roll and was steerable. If the frame is not cracked or bent, repairable, possibly?

We're glad you're still with us Tom!

On the same page of the paper that Tom linked is a guy WITHOUT a helmet who went down on a bike. Looks like it won't end well for him ....

Regardless of how the crash happens, you HAVE to be ready ... !

Lannis

I'm like super lazy today. It's like normal lazy, but I'm wearing a cape.
Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: Lannis] #625332
11/11/15 7:52 pm
11/11/15 7:52 pm
Illinois, USA
TR6Ray Online content

BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member
Illinois, USA
Tom, if that's the end for your great looking R100, it got documented right down to the end on some really wonderful roads. I can't help but feel that it is NOT the end, though. I think Kent Shaun has it right. Keep us up to date as you and (hopefully) the bike get mended.

Ray

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625339
11/11/15 8:12 pm
11/11/15 8:12 pm
The land of pleasant living
Z
Zimm Offline
BritBike Forum member
Zimm  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Z
The land of pleasant living
Logged more running in miles on the Golden Flash this afternoon, with you on my mind.

Be well.

Zimm

Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625340
11/11/15 8:18 pm
11/11/15 8:18 pm
Ontario Canada
Don Leaming Online content
BritBike Forum member
Don Leaming  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Ontario Canada
Tom. ... Heartfelt wishes for a speedy recovery. At least it is November and not May, time is on your side, so lay low and we hope you heal fast. I have really enjoyed your riding tales and hope for more in the spring when all is well.
Thinking of you.
Don

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: wadeschields] #625343
11/11/15 8:27 pm
11/11/15 8:27 pm
USA
Dave M Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dave M  Offline
BritBike Forum member
USA
Originally Posted By wadeschields
Dave hangs out for a while and we stare around the barn

For the uninitiated this can be terrifying...jus saying.

Mostly dead parts strewn about the place!

Headless half eaten parts of undead!

And this guy.

66 TR6R Trophy
67 T120R Bonneville
68 BMW R60/US
69 T100R Daytona

Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625354
11/11/15 9:04 pm
11/11/15 9:04 pm
NYC and York PA
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
NYC and York PA
laughing laughing laughing laughing

[Linked Image]
Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625357
11/11/15 9:10 pm
11/11/15 9:10 pm
NYC and York PA
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
NYC and York PA
So here are a few photos that struck horror until I heard Tom was relatively OK

And at the scene

[Linked Image]
Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625365
11/11/15 9:22 pm
11/11/15 9:22 pm
Stone Creek OH USA
R
Rich B Online happy

BritBike Forum member
Rich B  Online Happy

BritBike Forum member
R
Stone Creek OH USA
Tom,

Good to hear you are ok.

Probably not the place for it, but this past weekend, my youngest stepson was in an accident on his bike. Sadly, he was not so lucky. Godspeed Michael......

Life is too short to drink cheap, bad beer.
Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625369
11/11/15 9:26 pm
11/11/15 9:26 pm
NYC and York PA
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
NYC and York PA
Oh no Rich.... Thats not a good thing to hear . My condolences

[Linked Image]
Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625387
11/11/15 10:45 pm
11/11/15 10:45 pm
Pennsyltuckey

Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo
Pennsyltuckey
Rich,
Oh jeez, man!
Well that doubly assures me of how lucky I am.
Wade, those pix are gut wrenching!
I am just SICK.
Between your pix and Rich's post.....
I may go throw up now.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 11/11/15 10:48 pm.

Re: Ricochet Ridin' 2015 [Re: ricochetrider] #625391
11/11/15 11:19 pm
11/11/15 11:19 pm
Trenton, New Jersey
royaloilfield Offline
BritBike Forum member
royaloilfield  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Trenton, New Jersey
Rich…that's awful news…sorry to hear that ..your family is in our thoughts!

Tom…Glad your ok..thought the bike might be ok too, but it looks like the frame might be tweaked from that overhead shot. UGH!!!!

Brian
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership