BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
sawtooth
sawtooth
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
204 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,622 guests, and 596 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Miguel PadrĂ£o, John Ross, slidezone, jon p fudge, JeffL
9996 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 135
Lannis 122
Stuart 110
koan58 88
Popular Topics(Views)
455,118 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,479
Posts632,081
Members9,994
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#620594 - 10/05/15 10:45 am Blue FS color verification  
wadeschields Offline
BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA

Two original looking tanks. Both look to be factory sprayed . Both 1970 Firebird Scrambler (no badge) tanks. One looks really blue and the other looks darker with a purple tint to it... Which one is correct? Both could be correct I guess but I have to decide which one to go with. If no correct answer comes up I may go blue with a little more candy color added for a darker (then the blue shown) version confused ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#620598 - 10/05/15 11:06 am Re: Blue FS color verification please [Re: wadeschields]  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
There is no way a gang of painters on different shifts who mixed their own paint each shift from 2 different suppliers and then needed to apply several layers of candy coat over a base colour could not get variation. Question is are the 2 samples you see within that variation ? I would say that with the addition of UV fading on the second then yes they are within the factory variation. I would T cut a small area on each and see if it gives any more clues.

#620643 - 10/05/15 4:07 pm Re: Blue FS color verification please [Re: wadeschields]  
Allan Gill Online happy
Allan Gill  Online Happy

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Ive only seen that lighter blue on 1967 Royal stars, the darker blue matches my NOS 70' lightning tank and looks somewhat similar shade to the catalogue firebird photos and your left hand side tank

beerchug
#620646 - 10/05/15 4:15 pm Re: Blue FS color verification please [Re: wadeschields]  
wadeschields Offline
BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA
So maybe I will go dark without the purple tint.

[Linked Image]
#620649 - 10/05/15 5:00 pm Re: Blue FS color verification please [Re: wadeschields]  
Ignoramus Online content
BritBike Forum member
Ignoramus  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Auckland NZ
hard to say ......computer monitor and all that , but lhs looks closer to my 70 A65 , factory paint

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
#620669 - 10/05/15 7:05 pm Re: Blue FS color verification please [Re: wadeschields]  
mickjmag Offline
BritBike Forum member
mickjmag  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Gippsland, Vic, Australia
The lighter blue tank looks exactly the same as the paint on my 65 t/bolt rocket!

Mick M, in OZ
1965 Thunderbolt Rocket.
#620706 - 10/05/15 10:47 pm Re: Blue FS color verification please [Re: wadeschields]  
KC in S.B. Online content
BritBike Forum member
KC in S.B.  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Santa Barbara, California
I have an NOS '70 FS tank and it looks like the blue on the right.

Last edited by KC in S.B.; 10/05/15 10:48 pm.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 2 '56 Chevys
#641367 - 02/23/16 11:28 am Re: Blue FS color verification [Re: wadeschields]  
wadeschields Offline
BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA
All of that comparing tanks that I did and found so many variations, I never turned my side covers over to see the back side. I could see the fronts in their wrapping they came in but I just took them out of the box over the weekend. shocked

Thats the color I was after. bigt

I also didnt realize that they were metal !!!

Wish I could just remove the green and see whats underneath !!!

[Linked Image]
#641404 - 02/23/16 3:46 pm Re: Blue FS color verification [Re: wadeschields]  
Shane in Oz Online content
BritBike Forum member
Shane in Oz  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sydney, Oz
Originally Posted By wadeschields

Thats the color I was after

Yep, that looks pretty close to the factory Firebird blue, given the usual caveats about screen colours, etc

#641455 - 02/23/16 9:34 pm Re: Blue FS color verification [Re: wadeschields]  
BritTwit Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritTwit  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Kansas City area
I have a set of NOS side covers. They appear to have more of a purple/ bluish tint like the tank on the left. The parts book also calls for a different paint code on the Firebird than for the lightning. I'll check my parts book tomorrow and will try to post images.

#641684 - 02/25/16 1:27 pm Re: Blue FS color verification [Re: wadeschields]  
BritTwit Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritTwit  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Kansas City area

Part catalog 00-5707 (1970) shows the color code as:
Blue (A65 Lightning)/271
Blue (A65 Firebird) /272

In the next few weeks, I'll be getting a paint match from my paint supplier to match the tank. I'll then post the code.

#641696 - 02/25/16 2:29 pm Re: Blue FS color verification [Re: wadeschields]  
wadeschields Offline
BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA
Nice ... Pretty similar to mine Id say. That code will be helpful THANKS

Are your metal flaked? Mine are not but yours have that look on my screen ...

[Linked Image]
#641739 - 02/25/16 6:01 pm Re: Blue FS color verification [Re: wadeschields]  
BritTwit Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritTwit  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Kansas City area
Very slight metallic content. Nothing on the scale of a Norton Commando (metal chunk as opposed to metal flake).

#642187 - 02/28/16 8:51 pm Re: Blue FS color verification [Re: wadeschields]  
BSA_WM20 Online content
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sydney Australia
Gees Wade, we should not have to give a photographer lectures on colour rendition.
Kommando got it fairly right but according to Meppen the night shift foreman batched all the paint for the following 3 shifts.
One of the things he bitches about in the video, how they destroyed his design colours. He make the same bitch in his 3 part article in Bike magazine late 70's.

Secondly the parts used on the production line were painted with a specific coloured undercoats which show through while parts made latter on for spares were all painted with a black undercoat when first made then repainted as required in small batches.
These were supposed to get an undercoat of the correct colour then the two top coats but a lot seem to have been painted directly over the black so look darker. Thus the blues appear a lot darker on NOS spares
Parts that went for rectification got a green rubbing coat then supposedly the black undercoat, but I have seen parts painted with a thin white undercoat over the green rubbing coat that bleeds through to the final perceived colour.

Lastly BSA colours have not been consistent .
In 1952 when Ken bought his 52 Gold Flash he rejected the bike that the dealers had fitted all his optional parts to.
The salesman was miffed as to how he was so sure that it was not the bike he was shown.
These were the very first batch of plunger A 10's exported to Australia and very early in the production run.
Ken replied "simple there were only 2 bikes in the batch of 20 that were exactly the same colour from front to back.
One is in the window and the other was the bike I picked out of the remaining 19 ".

So basically any BSA not painted in fully vitrified enamel, (whose colour is consistant regardless of how it is painted just so long as it is fired at the same temperature for close to the same time ) that is exactly the same colour end to end, is OVER RESTORED .

Fred bought an A 75 from the States. I saw it in the unrestored condition and it had a funny cross in one side of the tank.
Coming from the USA I naturally though it was some sort of religios zellot but no. The cross was where the shadow of window frame got projected on the side of the tank in high summer.
This bike was totally original having done a few hundred miles before the owner found out the brakes were not as good as he thought and totalled the front end, It had never been ridden since.

It is your bike so do it in a hue that is most appealing to you and enjoy it.
When morons who can't get girls so they get their jollies by deflating others egos prounounce to you and every one else withing 50 yards that your colour is wrong, lie to them and tell them that is strange as this was my fathers bike who bought it new. The watch the sither away with the rest of the reptillian slime.

Last edited by BSA_WM20; 02/28/16 8:54 pm.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
#642220 - 02/29/16 9:02 am Re: Blue FS color verification [Re: BSA_WM20]  
Irish Swede Online content
BritBike Forum member
Irish Swede  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elburn, Ill. USA
Trevor, thanks for your observations on this.
Your notes will go into my files, as witness that BSA colors are NOT "consistent," not from one bike to another, or even from one PART to another!

#642368 - 03/01/16 5:43 am Re: Blue FS color verification [Re: Irish Swede]  
BSA_WM20 Online content
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sydney Australia
If you get the chance to read period road tests you will see they all blasted the quality and consistence of the finish and that was basically from about 1950 when they started to phase out vitrivied enamel till the end of production.

There was a theory that all of the finish citism was some sort of secret code and really the magazines were telling every one the bikes were not up to standard but the journalist could not critizis the engineering for fear they would be crossed off the test list. However the USA test were some what similar.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
#642834 - 03/04/16 12:23 pm Re: Blue FS color verification [Re: wadeschields]  
wadeschields Offline
BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA
Very interesting learning curve on this one. I knew there would be variances in color by the wide swing in the tanks I have is amazing . Mostly too "purple" for my tastes but I love the color on the back side of my side covers. That's the color I will go with. As with everything else I like to find out what is "right" before I decide to break the rules. In his case there don't seem to be many rules.

So with the color on my side covers I'm guessing it's a silver base coat with candy blue on top?

When I had my lightning repainted I took it to a guy that was recommended by a restoration shop. I like the paint and everyone else like the paint BUT one thing that bothers me about it is the metal flake.... If the color is off a bit then ok but if it's metal flaked when it should be candy..... Well .... I am getting over it wink

[Linked Image]
#642854 - 03/04/16 3:04 pm Re: Blue FS color verification [Re: wadeschields]  
Allan Gill Online happy
Allan Gill  Online Happy

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
The candy I have for my bikes shows a flake in the colour. It's quite nice. The Honda base colour I had doesn't and you might as well just use a plain colour, as the candy effect is almost lost.

beerchug
#703964 - 08/04/17 8:25 pm Re: Blue FS color verification [Re: wadeschields]  
BritTwit Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritTwit  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Kansas City area

If anyone has an original paint 1970 Firebird Scrambler, I need a measurement for my repaint. What is the width of the painted area measured from the bottom of the gas cap? Mine has been repainted and looks too narrow. I'm getting paint color matched from a NOS side cover and will have quite a bit left over. Will anyone else be needing paint?

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.290s Queries: 15 (0.061s) Memory: 0.9458 MB (Peak: 1.2357 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-12-18 05:11:22 UTC