BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
kickstarter
kickstarter
United Kingdom
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
41 registered members (Adam M.), 276 guests, and 423 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks, 1966g10, Tacet
10417 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 84
Rohan 82
Triless 80
reverb 76
Popular Topics(Views)
709,428 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,297
Posts664,918
Members10,417
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts #619799
09/30/15 1:04 pm
09/30/15 1:04 pm
Pennsyltuckey
ricochetrider Online content OP

Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content OP

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Just saw this article about a guy up in Portland, OR who, over his considerable lifetime, amassed an unbelievable assortment of NOS, OEM, and otherwise,
stash of British motorcycle bikes and parts.
A couple guys apparently bought him out, and also, apparently still sell his stuff. Within the article is a link to them. Tho their website doesn't list specific parts, there is a contact link where one may email and ask about specific availability of items needed.

I guess the original guy finally somewhat recently (??) died, around age 90, but they kept him on after they bought him out, so he could work the front counter and assist with sales and inventory.

Cool story!
Enjoy.

Your friend,
Tom

Article:
http://www.throttlequest.com/2015/07/mining-for-old.html

Their site:
http://www.classiccyclespares.com

Last edited by ricochetrider; 09/30/15 1:05 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #619802
09/30/15 1:14 pm
09/30/15 1:14 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Online content

DOPE
kevin roberts  Online Content

DOPE

ohio, usa
the aviator guy who owns the airport I tune at told me about an airplane hoarder. typical story, bought lots of stuff where it was selling for scrap and wont sell anything.

hes well known in america among historic airplane people, apparently. my friend visited his storage once and spotted a huge old wooden crate with luftwaffe markings.

it was a brand new messerschmidt bf109 engine, still in the cosmoline.

anyway, he was philosophical about hoarders. he said, if those crazy people hadnt spent all their money on this stuff when it was worthless, we wouldnt have it surface from time to time tday.

still, though. a messerschmidt boggles my mind.

Last edited by kevin; 09/30/15 1:15 pm.

"Are bikes so nice as all that?" asked the mole, shyly...

"Nice? They're the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward on the handlebars. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about with bikes."
Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #619804
09/30/15 1:23 pm
09/30/15 1:23 pm
Santa Barbara, California
KC in S.B. Offline

BritBike Forum member
KC in S.B.  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Santa Barbara, California
I believe the guys that bought out "The Sandy Bandit" called themselves the "New Bandits" some years back on eBay.
I bought a few NOS tanks from them. Stuff was new, but not always stored well of course, so rusty at times. Stll, it was an amazing Cache!!

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
Oops,.. add 1 Sporty
Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #619823
09/30/15 2:45 pm
09/30/15 2:45 pm
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
This guy wasn't called the Sandy Bandit for nothing. I refused to give my money to this guy over all the years he dangled his NOS crap in faces of everyone and then picked and chose who he would sell to.

Not an honorable man, in my estimation, but just another of the many oddball characters that have always inhabited the old bike hobby. It's a case of whether you want to be king of a tiny domain, or a prince in the larger country.

Things haven't changed much since the sale of his hoard except the inflated prices of much of it has been deflated by the arrival of quality reproduction parts and I see that as a good thing. If this stuff isn't distributed amongst the hobby soon, perhaps all of it will eventually be only worth scrap prices.

One can hope.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #619885
09/30/15 9:36 pm
09/30/15 9:36 pm
Wisconsin
Tazaroo Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tazaroo  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Wisconsin
Whoever owns classiccyclespares NEVER returns an email.

"I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave."...............Jimmy Cliff
Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #620016
10/01/15 4:20 pm
10/01/15 4:20 pm
melbourne florida
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
bodine031  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

melbourne florida
Cliff Majhor "The Sandy Bandit" was a Triumph dealer from the early 50's. He bought thousands of pounds of parts and stuff when TRI-COR in Maryland closed up. I believe TSS Cycles in Portland has alot of his old inventory. Seems like i heard he has passed on recently.John Healy or the boys at JRC may know more

Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #620027
10/01/15 5:24 pm
10/01/15 5:24 pm
Earth
R
rick e. Online content
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
R

Earth
A true test in life would be ones ability to have a conversation with Cliff Majhor. Trust me, I've meet him in person two times. Spent hours with him talking politics and such. He gave me full access to everything and you could not believe how much stuff was there. It makes places like "Baxter Cycle" look small time. Really small..

The second time I visited him was with my wife, talked again for hours. I liked Cliff.

BTW, I NEVER NEVER discussed buying parts from him.

Say what you will about him, but he saved more Brit bike parts from the scrap yard than anyone on this planet. Period.

Remember we are just caretakers of stuff, some just have a stranger way of doing it than others.

"Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #620040
10/01/15 6:20 pm
10/01/15 6:20 pm
Orygone
Boomer Offline

BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
I posted a notice on his memorial sevice in the Remembrance forum.

I first met Cliff and Sharron in 1969 when I bought my first bike, a '67 TR6C. Had lots of ups and downs with Cliff over the years but he could also be very generous. Back in the '80's when I was vintage racing my Gold Star I broke a ring on assembling a new top end the night before a race in Portland. I called Cliff and he said he would meet me at his shop. When I got there he had a new set sitting on the counter and wouldn't let me pay for them.

There's lots of urban legends, he was quite a character.

The one I remember hearing was about the newbie going into his shop looking for a rare Lucas tailight lense. Cliff goes in the back and comes out with two and he wants $150 for one. The kid balks at this high price so Cliff takes one, throws it on the floor and proceeds to smash it with his foot. Then he tells the kid he only has one now and it's $300.

Cliff bought out many inventories including BSA/Triumph Duarte and most of TriCor. A lot of the info and pictures in David Gaylin's "Triumph in America" came from Cliff that he got when he bought the TriCor stuff.

He was a stunt rider for Joey Chitwood and was an alternate for the Norton factory Daytona team in early '50's. Worked for Bud Ekins for awhile until he got chased off and did some stunt work in the movies with Lee Marvin and Keenan Winn.

A lotta stories that could fill a book.

His service was filled with family, old local racers, and friends, and many told stories of Cliff's generousity and humorous situations.

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #620041
10/01/15 6:37 pm
10/01/15 6:37 pm
Pennsyltuckey

Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
I got from the article that he named his price and if you didn't like it you were done. Wouldn't allow any bargaining at all, his price was what it was.
On one hand I can't blame the guy for holding a line, but flexibility gets stuff done.

Nice to hear some stories from both "sides" of the spectrum.

Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #620047
10/01/15 7:11 pm
10/01/15 7:11 pm
Orygone
Boomer Offline

BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
Cliff was anything but flexible. He wasn't in it to get stuff done. He was in it to try and control the market. And to an extent he did. At the service one old timer that got up to talk told of how the Triumph factory that was hard up for cash made a deal to buy thousands of exhaust valves from Cliff to be able to assemble new bikes to get them out the door for cash flow.

Cliff would take brand new Triumphs and take the sheet metal and lights off and put them into his inventory to sell. He would then put cheap custom parts back on to sell the bikes. He said he only made about $100 on selling a new bike where as he could make thousands off of selling the new parts.

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #620089
10/02/15 1:24 am
10/02/15 1:24 am
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
"The one I remember hearing was about the newbie going into his shop looking for a rare Lucas tailight lense. Cliff goes in the back and comes out with two and he wants $150 for one. The kid balks at this high price so Cliff takes one, throws it on the floor and proceeds to smash it with his foot. Then he tells the kid he only has one now and it's $300."

No need to say any more. The guy was a nut case.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #620090
10/02/15 2:41 am
10/02/15 2:41 am
Orygone
Boomer Offline

BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
Bill, haven't you heard the saying, "Keep Portland Weird".

Haha, Bill B...

Boomer
Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #620108
10/02/15 7:07 am
10/02/15 7:07 am
Pennsyltuckey

Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
So meanwhile, back at the ranch....
What's up with the guys who bought him out?
Don't return emails?
Are they actively selling his stuff off? Some Aussie and another guy, I take it?
What about them?

Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #620119
10/02/15 9:38 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Life member
Lannis  Offline

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By ricochetrider
Don't return emails?
Are they actively selling his stuff off? Some Aussie and another guy, I take it?
What about them?

Good question. It's all very well for hundreds of thousands of BritBike parts and bikes to be owned by a nut case who won't sell and won't negotiate. That's fine, it's his stuff and he can do what he wants with it, even smash it up and laugh at your shocked look. Some people get off on that stuff.

But we can take heart in that there's a thing called an "Estate Sale" when they've moved on, and it's generally likely that the folks who paid money for the stuff are NOT nut cases, and want a reasonable return on their investment .....

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #620120
Wisconsin
Tazaroo Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tazaroo  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Wisconsin
Don't return emails?
What about them?

Well someone is paying some type of fee to keep that website running.

"I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave."...............Jimmy Cliff
Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #620122
10/02/15 10:22 am
10/02/15 10:22 am
melbourne florida
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
bodine031  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

melbourne florida
TSS Cycles ??? thought they were up and running in Portland

Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: Lannis] #620126
10/02/15 11:05 am
10/02/15 11:05 am
Earth
R
rick e. Online content
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
R

Earth
Originally Posted By Lannis
Don't return emails?
What about them?

Good question. It's all very well for hundreds of thousands of BritBike parts and bikes to be owned by a nut case who won't sell and won't negotiate. That's fine, it's his stuff and he can do what he wants with it, even smash it up and laugh at your shocked look. Some people get off on that stuff.

But we can take heart in that there's a thing called an "Estate Sale" when they've moved on, and it's generally likely that the folks who paid money for the stuff are NOT nut cases, and want a reasonable return on their investment .....

Lannis

I was also there "after" Mike (Aussie guy that bought everything)took the bulk of everything to a HUGE warehouse. That was the estate sale, part 1. And yes, I did buy some item for a very fair price from Mike. Me and hundreds of other guys...

Lots of item were sold on e-bay.

You do realize this all went down at least 14 years(?) ago. Cliff Majhor's stuff is probably 90% gone. Sure, a pile here and there. Hate to say it, but this is all yesterdays news....

----THE CLASH-----

Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: bodine031] #620129
10/02/15 11:10 am
10/02/15 11:10 am
Vermont
Jon W. Whitley Offline

BritBike Forum member
Jon W. Whitley  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Vermont

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project

Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: rick e.] #620137
10/02/15 11:32 am
10/02/15 11:32 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Life member
Lannis  Offline

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By rick e.

You do realize this all went down at least 14 years(?) ago. Cliff Majhor's stuff is probably 90% gone. Sure, a pile here and there. Hate to say it, but this is all yesterdays news....

I thought it was about 10 years ago ... but the principle's the same. Nobody hangs onto anything forever ......

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #620144
10/02/15 12:24 pm
10/02/15 12:24 pm
Orygone
Boomer Offline

BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
The sale happened in 2002.

This was the story related to me from someone close to Cliff.

Mike and Greg bought the inventory for the agreed value of $2.2 million. Like any big cash deal, they put a chunk down and were allowed to remove some inventory. They started with some of the 385(?) bikes and NOS parts. When things would sell from the huge warehouse where they were storing everything they would come back, pay more to Cliff and take more inventory. Problem was when they came back to Cliff's shop some of the inventory was missing. After a majority of the shop was moved Cliff was confronted about the missing stuff and an argument ensued. With threats of calling the sheriff, Cliff's life partner Sharron whom he never married, stepped in and a deal was brokered to basically end the transaction at that point. So Mike and Greg didn't have to pay the full amount but they didn't get all the inventory either. Sad part was Cliff being who he was tried to hide a lot of the money by putting it in Sharron's name. Sharron gets sick and dies and her children by Cliff get the money leaving Cliff high and dry.

Mike is still in business in Australia as Mikes Classic Cycle Spares in Queensland and Greg has been selling on eBay as Classic Cycle Spares.

The rest of the inventory was sold to another dealer in Idaho, some of which was resold in the infamous auction that drew a lot of attention a few years back.

Rick at TSS got a call a couple of years ago about some inventory that was in Cliff's basement. Rick split the parts with another guy but a lot of TSS inventory came from another local shop that was called Cascade Classics that has evolved into Cascade Moto Classics, a modern Triump dealership.

There's a lot of twists and turns in the total Cycle Hub story, like the other shop Cliff owned and stored about a 100 bikes at, but as I said before all enough material for someone to write a book.

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #620149
10/02/15 1:07 pm
10/02/15 1:07 pm
Orygone
Boomer Offline

BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
A few pictures of some of the bikes that came out of Cycle Hub.

Three new Hurricanes:

New B50's and T140's still in their crates:

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #620156
10/02/15 1:52 pm
10/02/15 1:52 pm
Earth
R
rick e. Online content
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
R

Earth
Boomer, a book indeed!

A couple of other snippets you will all like;

- The bikes for sale in Cliffs shop had "Gold" prices on them. (i.e. 20 oz. for Triumph 650...)

- Cliff used calculations (for pricing) based on long he had to pick blackberries back in the 30's to buy a motorcycle part.

----THE CLASH-----

Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: ricochetrider] #620162
10/02/15 2:18 pm
10/02/15 2:18 pm
Orygone
Boomer Offline

BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
He would also give you $7 credit for one $1 silver certificate.

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: Boomer] #620167
10/02/15 2:37 pm
10/02/15 2:37 pm
melbourne florida
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
bodine031  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

melbourne florida
Boy there has been some real characters in the motorcycle industry!!!

Re: THE Mother Lode of BritBike Parts [Re: Boomer] #620168
10/02/15 2:39 pm
10/02/15 2:39 pm
melbourne florida
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
bodine031  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

melbourne florida
As the owner of a 69 T-150 and 2 T-160's I hope those X-75's survived somewhere and were not parted out.
thanks for the pix's

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership