BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
surf monkey
surf monkey
Santa Cruz
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
207 registered members (2ndchildhood), 1,544 guests, and 562 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gerard, Regi, Doug Baril, revans, Gilly
9962 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 101
Stuart 85
NickL 69
Popular Topics(Views)
440,493 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,306
Posts632,080
Members9,962
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#603335 - 06/07/15 8:06 am Saturdays Question  
breeze1954 Offline
Private sponsor
breeze1954  Offline
Private sponsor

S.W. Pa.
Lisa and I were going to the spring OVBSA swapmeet Saturday but couldn't decide, should we take the blazer or ride out as we were only hoping to find some BSA kickstart rubbers and a few other small things. Well it is a swapmeet so just in case we did take the blazer and I'm so glad we did. Just look what we drug home for the old flathead. Been wanting a chair on that old nail since I got it years ago. And even more so since I refurbished it a bit 3 or 4 years ago, but could just never seem to make it happen, till now! smile emoticon Now where'd I put that OD green paint?

It will be going on this old girl;

BTW: Id also like to thank everyone in advance for the help to all the questions Im about to start asking smile

beerchug

Nothing ticks you off more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong!

Ride Safe When You Can; Tim

Small print Disclaimer: I am not responsible for spelling, grammar or political correctness. Actually Im not very responsible at all!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#603336 - 06/07/15 8:22 am Re: Saturdays Question [Re: breeze1954]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Wow! Good score! That'll look great on the old twin.

I'll be interested to see the questions AND the answers regarding mounting the hack. I understand that its a mysterious art understood only by the initiates .....

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#603348 - 06/07/15 9:16 am Re: Saturdays Question [Re: breeze1954]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
If you google "sidecar mounting instructions", you'll get at least 18 different (and often conflicting) procedures.

This ought to be good.

One thing you need is a good steering stabiliser.

On mounting to the frame: IF you use any sort of clamps, you need to sandwich the frame tubes in 2 half-sections of stiff but thin pipe, to avoid pinching the frame tubes. More mounts = less likelihood of over-stressing any one point.

Last edited by GrandPaul; 06/07/15 9:17 am.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#603351 - 06/07/15 9:32 am Re: Saturdays Question [Re: breeze1954]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Hey Tim,

NICE!!!!!!!

I'm going to ask you a favor though......we have a sidecar forum and if you don't mind....could you get the Rod and Tappet moderator to move this thread over there?????????

I would be easier for folks interested in outfits to find the information....AND it's just what that forum NEEDS!!!!

Now on to your chair.....I pretty much have the same one on my B44 and I think it'll be a perfect match for your bike. Do keep in mind that it was made for a 350cc bike so it's a "little" light but you shouldn't have any problems.

IF......it were me I would use the Velorex instructions (they are online) as a guide line for stuff like wheel lead and such.

READ.....there's lots of information out there.

Somewhere along the line you'll have to decide whether or not to use a "sub frame" or the Velorex frame clamps.

I use a sub frame.....Bob in NW Pa uses the frame clamps...and I think Barb does too???????

WHEN it comes time to adjust it all.....even though the Velorex instructions say not to.....the experts say to do it with the chair loaded.....and since I'm setting it up that way now...it seems to make sense.

Have you driven a outfit before????

Good luck.....I LOVE mine and I hope you do yours....Pokey (aka Pokey)

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 06/07/15 12:43 pm.
#603354 - 06/07/15 9:41 am Re: Saturdays Question [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
In your second photo......it looks like the front lower mounting strut is missing????? BUT.....look at the two on the right...the lower and the upper are pretty much in the position you'll want them mounted when you get that far. The lowers need to be at right angles to the bike and the uppers need to be angled out away from each other.

Lonnie Commer (sp?) is getting out of the business and is selling off all his left over Velorex mounting hardware. If your missing some pieces he probably has them.

http://www.sidecar.com/

Good thing is......there is still a Velorex USA you can contact....and a Velorex UK too.

Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 06/07/15 9:42 am.
#603357 - 06/07/15 10:11 am Re: Saturdays Question [Re: breeze1954]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
Good score, Tim, Have fun with it

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
#603360 - 06/07/15 10:22 am Re: Saturdays Question [Re: Gordon Gray]  
breeze1954 Offline
Private sponsor
breeze1954  Offline
Private sponsor

S.W. Pa.
Thanks for the replies guys. I am quite tickled with it!
Gordon, ok Ill try to have it moved, I didnt start a thread in the sidecar forum yet as it will be a bit before I start this project. I have 2 other projects I have to get completed first. Was not ready for it at all and itll probably be winter again before I can get to it. But the price was a take it now and stash it till I can kinda thing.
But I guess that does give me plenty of time for research bigt
Yes I've rode an outfit a few times but not so much to be proficient

beerchug

Last edited by breeze1954; 06/07/15 10:26 am.

Nothing ticks you off more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong!

Small print Disclaimer: I am not responsible for spelling, grammar or political correctness. Actually Im not very responsible at all!
#603393 - 06/07/15 12:51 pm Re: Saturdays Question [Re: breeze1954]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
It's all good Tim...I would have loved to get my hands on that thing....I'm looking for another one.

If you look on the plate on frame near the lower rear strut it'll tell you what year it is.

Model 562 but there were a few versions of that one. Probably has the 15mm axle that you'll read about...the newer ones use a 20mm. Mine has the 15mm and it's still straight...I don't plan on it getting abused so it'll stay that way. I have one of those conversion kits for the 20mm axle....but I REALLY don't like the look of the trailer type wheel it uses. Velorex in the UK sells a 20mm kit that still uses the stock wheel.

It's going to make a fine rig and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Research Doug Bingham (sp?) and contact him...he's a GREAT fellow to talk to and he'll send you a STACK of information just for the asking.

Now if that darn thing gets in your way....I'll be happy to come get rid of it for you.... laughing

Pokey

#603466 - 06/07/15 7:10 pm Re: Saturdays Question [Re: Gordon Gray]  
D.Bachtel Online content
BritBike Forum member
D.Bachtel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

SLO County, CA
Originally Posted By Gordon Gray
It's all good Tim...I would have loved to get my hands on that thing....I'm looking for another one.

Pokey

Well, it's a bit farther away than you'd like but I do know of a clean late model 562 out here Gordon. I'll contact and will assist anyone who might be interested in checking it out. I do recommend a sub frame or at least sub assemblies for mounting. Makes a better aeroframe for asymmetrical flight!

Don in Nipomo

#603468 - 06/07/15 7:22 pm Re: Saturdays Question [Re: D.Bachtel]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Originally Posted By D.Bachtel
Well, it's a bit farther away than you'd like but I do know of a clean late model 562 out here Gordon. I'll contact and will assist anyone who might be interested in checking it out. I do recommend a sub frame or at least sub assemblies for mounting. Makes a better aeroframe for asymmetrical flight!

Don in Nipomo

Well....I do want another one. Got a bigger bike to mount it on and I think the 562 would be a nice fit.

I really don't want to start acting like I know what I'm doing....because it's still so new to me but after that trip to Northern PA last year I feel really comfortable with what I have.

I like the idea of a subframe....and had no clue what one was until you helped me figure it out. Mine's probably way over designed but so far it's been solid as a rock and I have never had to re adjust any of the struts.

Bob in NW Pa BSA uses the clamps and it always has. He has a lot more miles on his rig than I do mine.

Thanks for the heads up but it's probably to far away to make it worth the money.

Looking forward to seeing what Tim comes up with and wish him the best of luck.

I don't want to be without one now that I've tried it.

Pokey

#603473 - 06/07/15 7:43 pm Re: Saturdays Question [Re: Gordon Gray]  
D.Bachtel Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

SLO County, CA
Originally Posted By Gordon Gray
Originally Posted By D.Bachtel

Don in Nipomo

. Got a bigger bike to mount it on and I think the 562 would be a nice fit.

Pokey

So.... drumroll please, what is the new "bigger" that resides in your shop? Time to reveal.
Will it make it to Wichita so we can tour the Coleman Museum together?

Don in Nipomo - meet ya half way!

#603532 - 06/08/15 7:11 am Re: Saturdays Question [Re: D.Bachtel]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Don....the trip across the US will be done on the B44. I'm in the process getting that engine sorted as we speak. I am working on another "wild hair" idea for it. I gave up on the idea of hauling a bike off the side of it.....it just didn't feel right.

The "new" bike is nothing special.....vertical twin, 1975...they made and sold a million of them. I got one for a song and dance ($400) and got it back on the road....it'll make a perfect back up outfit. Very stock XS650B.

Take care.....Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 06/08/15 7:12 am.
#605110 - 06/17/15 8:46 pm Re: Saturdays Question [Re: breeze1954]  
old mule Offline
BritBike Forum member
old mule  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Chihuahuan Desert
Do good research, that bike was made to use a sidecar and needs no subframe. Look at the old tests in Motor Cycling and The Motor Cycle, or their successor magazines, and you'll see dozens of photos of the attachments.
Subframes are for modern thin-tubed frames that were not made with mounting points.
The only complication will be to make a lower rear that does not interfere with one's heel, upon use of the kick starter. The Triumph lower rear mount was for a left-hand sidecar, of course.
It will be a nice machine, look forward to how you will made the sidecar look "period correct" on the handsome Triumph. I suppose you will use a Triumph rear mudguard on the sidecar?

Keep us updated on your progress.

#606145 - 06/25/15 9:29 pm Re: Saturdays Question, So it begins.. [Re: breeze1954]  
breeze1954 Offline
Private sponsor
breeze1954  Offline
Private sponsor

S.W. Pa.
Didnt think Id be starting on this yet but for some reason it wont let me be, So the flathead's out of the barn and now it begins.

#606582 - 06/29/15 4:29 pm Re: Saturdays Question, So it begins.. [Re: breeze1954]  
breeze1954 Offline
Private sponsor
breeze1954  Offline
Private sponsor

S.W. Pa.
Well I finally got me a day off work and being as I read the directions I figured I might as well do some fitting up. Heres where I am now. I had to stop before I wanted to today because a few parts are missing, just a few particular nuts and bolts but I want to find the right ones. This thing has all metric and I figure to keep it that way as itll make it a pain down the road if its mixed ( I hate that).

If anyone in the know sees something Im doing wrong or off somehow please school me some, as this is the first one Ive ever tried on my own. Ill post more as soon as I get the fasteners I need.
Also been thinking I might like to try and make my own box for it, something different maybe but not sure yet. Baby steps I think.

#606635 - 06/30/15 12:35 am Re: Saturdays Question, So it begins.. [Re: breeze1954]  
BOB in NW PA Offline
BritBike Forum member
BOB in NW PA  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NW PA
breeze1954 - looks like you're on your way to building a beautiful classic rig. when it's done I suggest doing some miles in a big parking lot. hacks are a totally different critter from a solo bike, and you have to stick with it. 25 years ago when I built my B50/Squire combination, I thought I'd built a monster, having never driven nor ridden in an outfit, but my wife and I hung in there and after about 30 miles it all made sense, in fact we rode a 110 mile Lucas run from Cable's that year, and had a ball, even though we got lost. check out Bob Wark's Sidecar Installation Instructions on his warkshop.com website, you probably already know the Warkman from Marietta, OH he's an old sidecar man and always ready to help you with good advice. I'll be 77 in August and still can start and ride both my outfits, I no longer ride solo bikes, but hope to keep riding for a long time yet. besides, my wife likes to ride in the hack. good luck! Bob Kent, OVBSAOC #3

Bob Kent
#607228 - 07/04/15 7:22 am Re: Saturdays Question, So it begins.. [Re: BOB in NW PA]  
breeze1954 Offline
Private sponsor
breeze1954  Offline
Private sponsor

S.W. Pa.

No pictures, but the 18mm nuts came from Velorex yesterday so Im going to try and get some time on it today.
One question for now please; I know the lean-out, the toe-in and distance of frame to frame etc, but have found nothing on if it should be level front to back or if front should be lower or higher than back? If not level, I would suppose the front should be down a bit but nothing is mentioned on any print out I got my hands on.

#607237 - 07/04/15 8:35 am Re: Saturdays Question, So it begins.. [Re: breeze1954]  
Irish Swede Online content
BritBike Forum member
Irish Swede  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elburn, Ill. USA
Mount the sidecar, put your passenger in it and see how level it "sits."
Make any up-down adjustment from there.

I personally like the sidecar to appear level. Wind resistance isn't a real problem, because a sidecar rig is aerodynamically "dirty" anyway (unless you're operating a "platform" outfit on a race track.)

A word of advice, from personal experience: Consider mounting a small headlamp somewhere on the sidecar frame, near the wheel. If you have ever ridden with a sidecar at night, you will know about that BIG DARK HOLE ahead of the sidecar which the bike's own headlight won't penetrate.

#607286 - 07/04/15 5:06 pm Re: Saturdays Question, So it begins.. [Re: Irish Swede]  
breeze1954 Offline
Private sponsor
breeze1954  Offline
Private sponsor

S.W. Pa.
Thanks for the replies guys.
I messed with it some today, but needed to do oil change on one of the bikes I ride regular too. Now I got go get cleaned up a bit, we're taking the grandsons to the 7:00 ball game. bigt

beerchug

#607612 - 07/07/15 3:13 pm Re: Saturdays Question, So it begins.. [Re: BOB in NW PA]  
breeze1954 Offline
Private sponsor
breeze1954  Offline
Private sponsor

S.W. Pa.
Ok then, heres some pictures of the mounts. They are the only way Ive found that will let me have the proper lineups the books say I need. I cut some pipe to go around the frame so the clamps are good and snug, but Im wondering about the upper rear. Maybe I shouldnt be as I couldnt get it to move and dont know how else to put it. What yall think, will it stay put? Im thinking to strap some weight on the bare frame just to try it out and see how it does before I start on a tub.

beerchug

#607629 - 07/07/15 5:01 pm Re: Saturdays Question [Re: breeze1954]  
D.Bachtel Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

SLO County, CA
Looks good from here! How does it measure out?
Track, tow-in, lean. Do you have a picture from the rear we could see.

It's all a compromise but 3 out of 4 of your points look square to me.
The rear upper could be prone to rotate on the frame with that angle, I'd roll it over 90 degrees and shorten the strut.

Measure up, make some match marks on the fittings, take it for a spin and see if it shifts.
You're gunna like the way it rolls. What's the worst that could happen?

Don in Nipomo

#607645 - 07/07/15 6:15 pm Re: Saturdays Question [Re: D.Bachtel]  
breeze1954 Offline
Private sponsor
breeze1954  Offline
Private sponsor

S.W. Pa.
Hi Don, thanks for the reply. I dont like the looks of it either, but not sure what to do with that rear mount. I tried other places but then nothing else would line up right. I guess I could cut the strut shorter so it would fit straight to the frame. That might work if I can still get on the kick start.
Anyway, I have it at; 11 7/8 frame to frame, 1/2" lean out and 3/8 toe in. The papers said 12 frame to frame but every time I tried for that everything else went nuts on me so Im going to hope it works there. Does that sound about right?

Nice setup ya got there by the way, love the tail light on the car, where's it from?

beerchug

Last edited by breeze1954; 07/07/15 6:17 pm.

#607669 - 07/07/15 10:08 pm Re: Saturdays Question [Re: breeze1954]  
D.Bachtel Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

SLO County, CA
What's the overall track width? Center of tug tire to center of tub tire.
Hey it looks good to me, you would have to shorten the strut to get that last point.
Take it out and see if it flexes much.

53-54 Dodge Meadowbrook, Plymouth Savoy on the taillight.
Got the focused backup on the front.

Don in Nipomo

#607705 - 07/08/15 7:20 am Re: Saturdays Question [Re: D.Bachtel]  
Triless Online content
BritBike Forum member
Triless  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

OZ
I'm really enjoying this TRW outfit build thread, but that Greeves outfit is a bloody beauty!

#607722 - 07/08/15 9:44 am Re: Saturdays Question [Re: D.Bachtel]  
breeze1954 Offline
Private sponsor
breeze1954  Offline
Private sponsor

S.W. Pa.
Morning Don, sorry but I got numbers backwards, its 3/8 lean out and 1/2" toe in. I also measured width this morning and its 42 1/2. I hadnt checked that before as none of my papers questioned it. Is there a proper width it should be? On the rear mount, Im thinking Ill try it out as is and if everything else works and handles good, then Ill shorten the strut so its straight to the frame. Dont want to cut anything till I know everything else will work as is. Straightening out that mount shouldnt change the rest I dont think.
BTW: are those donut marks I see in the picture clap

beerchug

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Barb 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.230s Queries: 16 (0.044s) Memory: 1.0090 MB (Peak: 1.3744 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-25 07:43:26 UTC