BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
kboyd
kboyd
Kansas
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
210 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,646 guests, and 563 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 193
koan58 99
Stuart 83
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
438,871 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,289
Posts632,443
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#604921 - 06/16/15 4:55 pm a 'nuts and bolts question'  
queenmonkey Offline
BritBike Forum member
queenmonkey  Offline
BritBike Forum member

England
Hi guys i am restoring perhaps my 6th bike but my first british bike - A65 with a T140 forks. I've a well equipped home workshop of tools for the japanese bikes i've done along with assorted sundries - metric everything!

What i really want to know is are all the nuts and bolts on my bike likely to be whitworth sizes and if so what of the threads as it seems there are different types - BSW BSF and BSC?

I ask because i'd like to order an assortment so i can replace as i go but obvioulsy want to buy the write ones!
QM

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#604922 - 06/16/15 4:57 pm Re: a 'nuts and bolts question' [Re: queenmonkey]  
Boomer Online content
BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
First off, what year is your A65?

Bill B...

Boomer
#604923 - 06/16/15 5:00 pm Re: a 'nuts and bolts question' [Re: Boomer]  
queenmonkey Offline
BritBike Forum member
queenmonkey  Offline
BritBike Forum member

England
Hi the frame is '65 but the t140 forks are off an E/F which i think is about 1980?

#604962 - 06/16/15 9:38 pm Re: a 'nuts and bolts question' [Re: queenmonkey]  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
Your bike will have BSF, BSC, NF, BA and Metric fasteners...and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head...

Really.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#604972 - 06/16/15 10:45 pm Re: a 'nuts and bolts question' [Re: queenmonkey]  
Mark Z Online content
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
Wrench sizes is one issue, hardware replacement another. Hardware on the T140 front end will be Unified, which has the same wrench sizes, bolt diameters, and thread densities as SAE or "American" (I don't know what you call it over there - oh yeah, Unified). One thing though, the Unified thread form is slightly different from SAE.

On the engine (also '65 I assume) you're going to find a lot of CEI hardware, mostly 1/4" X 26 tpi, 5/16" X 26 tpi, and 3/8" by 26 tpi. For this hardware you will need a set of British wrenches. They may be marked "BS" or "Whitworth", or both.

You might drive yourself crazy trying to amass "an assortment". If you buy hardware from a parts supplier, ordering by part number, just buy a few extras of whatever you order. Over here we have an outlet called "British Tools and Fasteners", from whom you can buy hardware by diameter, thread density, length, etc., AND they have British thread gauges - along with Metric and SAE thread gauges, an invaluable tool if you decide to buy hardware by spec. I don't know if you have such a place over there, or if you might consider sourcing overseas.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
#604989 - 06/17/15 5:23 am Re: a 'nuts and bolts question' [Re: queenmonkey]  
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted By queenmonkey
frame is '65 but the t140 forks

As said, generally UNF on the forks and CEI (aka 'Cycle' and 'BSC' - British Standard Cycle) on the frame.

As not mentioned so far, BSF (British Standard Fine) on the engine, and the forks drain plugs are 2BA (not interchangeable with either 3/16"UNF, No.10UNF or M5 (5 mm. metric)).

UNF- (and UNC-) threaded fasteners use "AF"-marked tools; in the same way as metric, the measurement refers to Across Flats of the head.

Otoh, Cycle, BSF and BA tools are marked with the shank diameter; e.g. 5/16"UNF, 5/16"Cycle and 5/16"BSF bolts all have the same shank diameter, but a 5/16"UNF bolt will require a 1/2"AF spanner while the Cycle and BSF bolts will require a spanner marked (usually) "5/16 BS" (but not "5/16 W" (5/16" Whitworth)).

This is before you get into 'small hex.' heads ... laughing

i'd like to order an assortment so i can replace as i go

What you might need to accept is the easiest way to buy "an assortment" is to buy 'buckets' of fasteners in the appropriate threadforms from a stainless steel fastener supplier. Afaict, old British vehicle restorers are now the largest users of especially Cycle and BSF fasteners and most old British vehicle restorers want stainless.

Unfortunately, this can lead to quality issues. By definition, then stainless Cycle and BSF fasteners have cut, rather than rolled, threads. From long experience, I know that people like Dave & Richard Middleton have the necessary machine tools to turn out high-quality cut threads bigt and they supply some other smaller stainless retailers. But some others make their own Imperial fasteners, and the quality is ... uh ... variable. frown

The alternative is to collect the fasteners that come off the bike and, when you have a bucket-load, get 'em tumbled and zinc-plated.

I would strongly recommend that you invest in a set of screwpitch gauges (e.g. http://stainlessmiddleton.co.uk/content/11-which-thread and scroll down) and, if you don't have it/them already, a way of accurately measuring fastener shank diameters - at least a decent steel rule but micrometer or calipers are better. If you don't already, keep an eye on your local Lidl and Aldi stores, they do inexpensive but good-quality tools regularly. Note that, in addition to the thread chart on the Middletons' site, you can find more comprehensive ones through your preferred internet search engine.

I would also recommend acquiring some taps and dies for the threads - to start with, say, 2BA, 1/4"UNF and 5/16"UNF, 1/4"Cycle, 5/16"Cycle and 3/8"Cycle, and 5/16" BSF. Reason is, mainly, you're dealing with 35-year-old threads on the forks and 50-year-old threads on the rest of the bike, some swarf is bound to have collected in particularly blind holes ... but mainly you're dealing with the depredations of mainly d.p.o. frown If you get into the habit of running a tap with a bit of grease on the end into each threaded hole, you will 99%-certain be staggered at the amount of general crap - mainly old sealants - that comes out on the end of it. shocked Otoh, if you simply push new fasteners into holes you haven't cleaned first, you will do some damage at some point, guaranteed. frown

Finally, bookmark http://stainlessbits.com/link12.html, you'll find it an invaluable reference. Only thing to watch is, because the compiler was American, sometimes he gets small threads wrong - e.g. specifying No.10UNF ("10-32" in the US) instead of the correct 2BA.

Hth.

Regards,

#605070 - 06/17/15 4:24 pm Re: a 'nuts and bolts question' [Re: Stuart]  
queenmonkey Offline
BritBike Forum member
queenmonkey  Offline
BritBike Forum member

England
Oh god what have i done??!! and i thought buying a British Project had the advatage of being simpler, if only the availability of parts? I've inherited boxes of my old uncles tools (relaegated to the back of the workshop) so i think there going to come in handy - this includes taps and dies in WD boxes, me thinks i'm going to have to pull them out from the back of the workshop and dust them down!

Guys a big 'thank you' for your advice (especially you Stuart) i will follow it. I'm also thinking that i going to befriend the chaps as Anglian Fasteners (large fastener shop in my home town) into joining me in thread identification.
QM

#605084 - 06/17/15 5:51 pm Re: a 'nuts and bolts question' [Re: queenmonkey]  
Richrd Online content
Richrd  Online Content

Springfield Nebraska
but think of the fun you'll have when your "expert" neighbor comes over. you hold up what looks like a 9/16 wrench then tell him it's a 1/4. Then your #0 socket will be about ten mm and the #10 socket will be about one mm.

Rich (member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
#605137 - 06/18/15 6:39 am Re: a 'nuts and bolts question' [Re: queenmonkey]  
AngloBike Online content
BritBike Forum member
AngloBike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

UK Berks
There shouldn't be ANY metric on that bike.

Not quite sure how the (OIF) T140 forks will fit a (non OIF) BSA frame as the T140 Stem is shorter than the Triumph non OIF.
Maybe BSA ( who designed the OIF) stuck to one size

#605144 - 06/18/15 7:32 am Re: a 'nuts and bolts question' [Re: AngloBike]  
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted By AngloBike
There shouldn't be ANY metric on that bike.

t140 forks are off an E/F which i think is about 1980?

Standard switch cluster screws are all metric.

Originally Posted By AngloBike
BSA ( who designed the OIF)

Oif was first drawn by Brian Jones at Umberslade Hall and then developed for production under Dr. Stefan Bauer, who was Director of Engineering(?) there.

Even if BSA used the same headstock length on its dry frames as Triumph on theirs, it isn't impossible to fit an oif steering stem, just difficult.

Hth.

Regards,

#605158 - 06/18/15 8:43 am Re: a 'nuts and bolts question' [Re: queenmonkey]  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
Spark plugs are metric.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#605308 - 06/19/15 9:01 am Re: a 'nuts and bolts question' [Re: queenmonkey]  
BillD47 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BillD47  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Florida
For a wealth of information about British motorcycle fasteners by part number try the website stainlessbits.com/link12.html. Many thanks to the people who created it.

#605329 - 06/19/15 2:02 pm Re: a 'nuts and bolts question' [Re: queenmonkey]  
Tridentman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
BTW--the company that compiled the stainlessbits listings no longer exists.
The website could disappear at any moment.
My advice would be to download it (and for belt and braces also print it off) while it is still around.
HTH

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.183s Queries: 15 (0.025s) Memory: 0.8948 MB (Peak: 1.1185 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 13:05:39 UTC