BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
39 registered members (Adam M.), 226 guests, and 123 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
urbanghost, Richard313, Gordo, to.bias, Nomdegom
10383 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 98
Mori55 88
Stuart 77
reverb 75
DavidP 72
Triless 71
Rohan 69
btour 66
Popular Topics(Views)
689,466 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,027
Posts661,819
Members10,383
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BSA dealer on "American Pickers" #577469
12/22/14 12:45 am
12/22/14 12:45 am
Owego, NY, USA
Mark Z Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
I saw an episode a couple of nights ago where the Pickers visited an ex-BSA dealer in Massachusetts. The name of the shop was Dick's Cycle Shop. Does this ring any bells with anyone from Mass.? They didn't mention the name of the town.

Anyway, the guy (Dick?) had three buildings full of bikes, frames, parts, and all other sorts of memorabilia. Not being salvage dealers or British bike enthusiasts, the Pickers were going after things like signs. They also bought a number of king-and-queen seats and Z-bars. The one guy was after a Triumph Thunderbird, but couldn't get it untangled from the other bikes. The owner had shoved a long metal bar through the bikes, presumably to keep them from falling, and they would have had to take just about every bike out of the building to get the Thunderbird, so they gave up.

I don't know when that show was filmed, but I would guess that all or some of that stuff would have or will go to some serious dealer with some money to invest.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: Mark Z] #577474
12/22/14 1:47 am
12/22/14 1:47 am
NYC and York PA
wadeschields Offline

BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Offline

BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA
Id like to see that episode

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: Mark Z] #577479
12/22/14 2:33 am
12/22/14 2:33 am
Orygone
Boomer Offline

BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
That was on just a week and a half ago. Seems to me it was in Virginia or West Virginia. I still have it on my DVR so I'll go back and watch it again and see if I can get any clues.

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: Mark Z] #577503
12/22/14 9:23 am
12/22/14 9:23 am
UK Berks
A
AngloBike Offline
BritBike Forum member
AngloBike  Offline
BritBike Forum member
A

UK Berks
I have just started watching this on UK tv, so assume that it's a year old or so compared to the US.

They seemed to rip off the first few people that I saw, but to be fair to them seemed fairer in later episodes. By that I mean that in the first couple, the seller was in their late 80's and got a pretty low price which I found hard to swallow.

Ok so there needs to be a hefty mark up between buying and selling but there are limits when you "knock" which is what it is referred to here. Arriving by appointment iOS another trying.

We have a similar series on UK TV, possibly a rip off of the original programme where a guy tends to buy eclectic shop fittings and stuff, still making a mark up, but doesn't appear to be ripping off quite so much.

What annoys me is the guy who calls signs "porcelain" when they are enamel - unless that is a US/UK terminology issue.

it is amazing to see the stuff that people have, like a BSA chrome tank for $50 that appeared to be new.

Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: Mark Z] #577505
12/22/14 9:51 am
12/22/14 9:51 am
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA
kurt fischer Offline

#irideslow
kurt fischer  Offline

#irideslow

Kurt
1968-70-71 Triumph TR6R Bitsa - 1969 Triumph TR6R - 1971 BSA A65L - 1973 Triumph TR5T
2005 Ducati MTS 1000S DS - 2012 Ducati Hyper 796 - 2014 Kawasaki ZX1000
Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: Mark Z] #577506
12/22/14 10:08 am
12/22/14 10:08 am
Terry MS, USA
R
Randy Pigford Offline
BritBike Forum member
Randy Pigford  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

Terry MS, USA

Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: Mark Z] #577507
12/22/14 10:19 am
12/22/14 10:19 am
kurt fischer Offline

#irideslow
kurt fischer  Offline

#irideslow

Originally Posted By: Mark Z
I saw an episode a couple of nights ago where the Pickers visited an ex-BSA dealer in Massachusetts. The name of the shop was Dick's Cycle Shop. Does this ring any bells with anyone from Mass.? They didn't mention the name of the town.

Didn't think it was Mass. We had Paul's BSA in Cambridge, Al's in Palmer, Randy's in Boylston, and Archie's in New Bedford.

Kurt
1968-70-71 Triumph TR6R Bitsa - 1969 Triumph TR6R - 1971 BSA A65L - 1973 Triumph TR5T
2005 Ducati MTS 1000S DS - 2012 Ducati Hyper 796 - 2014 Kawasaki ZX1000
Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: kurt fischer] #577509
12/22/14 10:33 am
12/22/14 10:33 am
Atlanta, GA USA
S
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S

Atlanta, GA USA
D@rn pickers...

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
Parking lot Elf in training
Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: Mark Z] #577510
12/22/14 10:36 am
12/22/14 10:36 am
New Jersey USA
Tridentman Online content

BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
I saw that episode--it was in West Virginia.
Certainly a lot of stuff!
HTH

Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: Tridentman] #577528
12/22/14 12:45 pm
12/22/14 12:45 pm
West Virginia, United States
Beach Offline

BritBike Forum member
Beach  Offline

BritBike Forum member

West Virginia, United States
Huntington West Virginia

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: AngloBike] #577535
12/22/14 1:15 pm
12/22/14 1:15 pm
NYC and York PA
wadeschields Offline

BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Offline

BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA
Originally Posted By: AngloBike

They seemed to rip off the first few people that I saw, but to be fair to them seemed fairer in later episodes. By that I mean that in the first couple, the seller was in their late 80's and got a pretty low price which I found hard to swallow.

I thought the same thing but I do agree that they are much better now. Probably realized they were being perceived as bad guys.

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: Mark Z] #577638
12/22/14 9:59 pm
12/22/14 9:59 pm
Owego, NY, USA
Mark Z Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
Thanks guys, I thought I heard "Mass". So Bill, do you know what has become of Dick or his stuff? (Just curious, no way I'm in the market.)

Wade, follow the link shown above if you want to see this. I went there, and it says "Log in with your TV provider." Nothing I've ever done before; maybe you have. You may find it a bit disappointing; the motorcycles are so piled up and tangled, it's hard to see what anything is.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: AngloBike] #577644
12/22/14 10:31 pm
12/22/14 10:31 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Life member
Lannis  Offline

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: AngloBike
I have just started watching this on UK tv, so assume that it's a year old or so compared to the US.

Ok so there needs to be a hefty mark up between buying and selling but there are limits when you "knock" which is what it is referred to here. Arriving by appointment iOS another trying.

Got bad news for you, from an entertainment standpoint.

It's all completely scripted. Well before they film anything, they've already found the place, looked to see what's there, decided what they're going to "bargain" for, negotiated what fee they'll pay the owner for participating in the show, and decided how the script will go.

Then they come in, set up the cameras, get the lighting right, and execute the script. They may or may not actually "buy" anything, even if they "haul it away". It's all for our entertainment. They're not going to waste time and effort on some situation that doesn't come out "right" .... !

Like "Moonshiners" - you don't think those drawling backwoods chawbacons are actually committing federal felonies on camera, that they could go to jail for 25 years for in the penitentiary?

There's quite an element of "Kayfabe" (willful suspension of disbelief, like that which allows people to enjoy "professional wrestling) in ALL of these pawnshop, bounty-hunter, storage-unit, picker, attic, and other "reality shows" ....

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: Lannis] #577647
12/22/14 10:59 pm
12/22/14 10:59 pm
Sydney, Oz
S
Shane in Oz Online content
BritBike Forum member
Shane in Oz  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S

Sydney, Oz
Originally Posted By: Lannis
Got bad news for you, from an entertainment standpoint.

It's all completely scripted. Well before they film anything, they've already found the place, looked to see what's there, decided what they're going to "bargain" for, negotiated what fee they'll pay the owner for participating in the show, and decided how the script will go.
Lannis

I like the way that they always sell it to one of their mates, and as often as not the mate has his own reality TV how.

Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: Mark Z] #577648
12/22/14 11:01 pm
12/22/14 11:01 pm
ohio
shel Offline
BritBike Forum member
shel  Offline
BritBike Forum member

ohio
And I suppose you also believe the people being pranked on Fear Factor can see all the mikes, cameras and production people?

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: Mark Z] #577657
12/22/14 11:54 pm
12/22/14 11:54 pm
Kansas City area
BritTwit Offline

BritBike Forum member
BritTwit  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Kansas City area
I first met Richard "Dick" Jenkins at Mid Ohio about 2009. He stopped by my space and was looking at my BSA stuff. We struck up a conversation that lasted well over an hour. It was a most enjoyable conversation. This guy has a wealth of BSA knowledge and is one fine and cordial gentleman. As I had been searching for a 53 Super Flash for close to 20 years, I asked what he knew about them. Long story short, next year on the way to MidO, I stopped by to pick up my scruffy but complete Super Flash. I spent most of the day at his shop and covered just about every inch of it and the storage sheds. Going inside that shop was like stepping back in time to your local BSA dealer circa 1960.

American Pickers? Vulgarians at the garage door. They know the price of everything but the value of nothing.

I think I'll call Dick tomorrow and see how he's doing.

Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: shel] #577661
12/23/14 1:15 am
12/23/14 1:15 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Life member
Lannis  Offline

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: shel
And I suppose you also believe the people being pranked on Fear Factor can see all the mikes, cameras and production people?

Never watched "Fear Factor", don't know what it is.

If it's like "Candid Camera", it's easy to surprise someone with a hidden camera, doesn't require much "hiding".

The ones I like are the "survivor" shows, with some guy supposedly on a desert island with a loincloth and a stone knife, half-dead with thirst, delirious from hunger.

Will he be able to catch that fish? Will the rabbit be caught in his snare made of vines and twigs, and save him from starvation?

Will the camera crew give him a bottle of Perrier and a panini sandwich before he dies?

Stay tuned next week and find out!!

Nothing wrong with enjoying the entertainment, just don't be fooled about what it actually is. There's nothing more Fake than a Reality Show!

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: Mark Z] #577684
12/23/14 7:14 am
12/23/14 7:14 am
UK Berks
A
AngloBike Offline
BritBike Forum member
AngloBike  Offline
BritBike Forum member
A

UK Berks
"There's nothing more Fake than a Reality Show!"

Agreed, I have been in the video game for 35 years.

But certainly the "Salvage ~Hunter" Uk version is a lot more reality than staged.

I used to watch the US "Storage Hunters" with a sense of superiority and would laugh at the "funny Merkins" until they made a UK version that was actually even worse with a bunch of overacting idiots.

I have watched the Bounty Hunter/Towing type shows (American Chopper etc) and it is entertainment at best. To describe it as Factual TV would make most people laugh.

Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: Mark Z] #577718
12/23/14 10:52 am
12/23/14 10:52 am
Kansas City area
BritTwit Offline

BritBike Forum member
BritTwit  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Kansas City area
Next week on "American Pickers".

Guest star "Hulk Hogan" shows up to beat the crap out of a unsuspecting guy who won't sell.

Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: BritTwit] #577760
12/23/14 3:27 pm
12/23/14 3:27 pm
Missoury
P
pokie Offline
BritBike Forum member
pokie  Offline
BritBike Forum member
P

Missoury
Lannis,....Thanks for your stellar appraisal of Fabricated Drama media. How many "phony competitions" or "get more stuff" formats can people stomach?

The fewer there are, the greater the value of each......particularly human beings.
Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: pokie] #577764
12/23/14 4:07 pm
12/23/14 4:07 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Life member
Lannis  Offline

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: pokie
Lannis,....Thanks for your stellar appraisal of Fabricated Drama media. How many "phony competitions" or "get more stuff" formats can people stomach?

I remember some years back when an elderly in-law was here in Virginia visiting Nelson County, where the TV show "The Waltons" was set. She was telling me about seeing where the Walton's had actually lived, and seeing Cousin Ike's store, and how well-preserved they were.

Of course, a fellow named Earl Hamner wrote a fictitious story about a family he called The Waltons, including father Clay Walton, his son Clay-boy, and their family. Clay Walton was written up as an alcoholic, and the family had a lot of trouble because of it, etc.

So the TV people decided it would make a good TV show, and they changed the names around from Hamner's book, and changed the characters some, and they hired some good actors to play the parts in the book, and it was very popular.

So popular, in fact, that people like my elderly in-law are absolutely CONVINCED that the Waltons were REAL, and that the TV show was a documentary of their lives in the 1930s, and they really did live near Schuyler on the Rockfish River, and weren't just actors reading a script adapted from a fictitious book. So much so, that when I mentioned (before I realized her mania) that they weren't real, and that Earl Hamner just made them up, she would not talk to me again. And when I visited the museum later just to see how it was presented, I realized that there were thousands like her.

Couldn't separate fiction from reality. As I said, I'm all for fun entertainment, and suspension of disbelief so that I can watch Anakin Skywalker dive 1000 feet down through the air over Coruscant and land precisely on a speeding flyer. But at least I know that they weren't actually filming Anakin as he fought the evil Sith long ago .... !

Lannis

Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: BritTwit] #577771
12/23/14 5:28 pm
12/23/14 5:28 pm
New Jersey
Keane Lucas Offline

BritBike Forum member
Keane Lucas  Offline

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: BritTwit
I first met Richard "Dick" Jenkins at Mid Ohio about 2009. He stopped by my space and was looking at my BSA stuff. We struck up a conversation that lasted well over an hour. It was a most enjoyable conversation. This guy has a wealth of BSA knowledge and is one fine and cordial gentleman. As I had been searching for a 53 Super Flash for close to 20 years, I asked what he knew about them. Long story short, next year on the way to MidO, I stopped by to pick up my scruffy but complete Super Flash. I spent most of the day at his shop and covered just about every inch of it and the storage sheds. Going inside that shop was like stepping back in time to your local BSA dealer circa 1960.

American Pickers? Vulgarians at the garage door. They know the price of everything but the value of nothing.

I think I'll call Dick tomorrow and see how he's doing.
"Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing" -quote from The Picture of Dorian Gray-It was one of Wilde's sir! Very Good. 19th century.And a great Monty Python skit.Sadly some things never change.

Last edited by Keane Lucas; 12/23/14 5:40 pm.

1969 BSA A65T w/A70 engine
1970 Royal Enfield Interceptor S ll
Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: Mark Z] #604815
06/15/15 9:59 pm
06/15/15 9:59 pm
NC - North Carolina
B
burrpenick Offline
BritBike Forum member
burrpenick  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

NC - North Carolina
I am a native of Huntington WV and did know Dick back in the day (early 70's). On a visit to WV from FL, I stopped by last week and he was still there- after all these years. I missed the show but did get a quick walk thru. He has it all, but, my intent for this note is that he told me the show folks DID NOT have anything worked out in advance/scripted before they came to the shop-and stayed over 12 hours![i][/i][color:#3366FF][/color]

Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: Mark Z] #604934
06/16/15 6:22 pm
06/16/15 6:22 pm
Elburn, Ill. USA
I
Irish Swede Online content
BritBike Forum member
Irish Swede  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I

Elburn, Ill. USA
I thought those "Pickers" clowns only went after old Indians.

Re: BSA dealer on "American Pickers" [Re: Mark Z] #604975
06/16/15 11:13 pm
06/16/15 11:13 pm
Owego, NY, USA
Mark Z Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
They'll go after anything that they think will bring in bucks. They don't know much about British bikes, but the one guy knew just enough to recognize the value of an old Triumph Thunderbird, which was the only complete bike he was interested in. Unfortunately, it was at the bottom of a veritable mountain of motorcycles, and there was a long metal rod through many of the bikes, presumably put there to prevent an avalanche. In his words, they would have had to empty the entire building to get that bike out, so they gave up and just bought some old signs and some chopper accessories like king and queen seats, sissy bars, and Z-handlebars, apparently hot items in the neo-chopper craze.

The show was interesting to me only in seeing Dick's amazingly huge collection of bikes and bike parts - three large buildings full!

Mark Z

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership