BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
CaptainPugwash
CaptainPugwash
Conisbrough,Yorkshire, UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
19 registered members (dean toensing), 152 guests, and 378 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks, 1966g10
10418 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 89
Rohan 81
Triless 78
reverb 75
Popular Topics(Views)
710,176 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,305
Posts665,020
Members10,418
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
fighting corrosion on nickel plated frame #574277
11/28/14 12:30 pm
11/28/14 12:30 pm
Switzerland
C
chT140e Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
chT140e  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
C

Switzerland
Dear fellow riders,

It's been a few years since I've posted a question here. I am currently facing an issue with a nickel plated Rickman frame which has surface rust on the tubes below the tank and seat. I would like to clean this during the winter months and ideally without taking the engine out. Replating is currently not an option.

Can you recommend me a good approach to this issue? How to best get rid of the rust and clean/polish the areas? I assume best to clear coat the affected spots afterwards?

I've searched the forum and haven't found much so far.

Thanks and regards

Last edited by chT140e; 11/28/14 12:30 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: fighting corrosion on nickel plated frame [Re: chT140e] #574284
11/28/14 3:22 pm
11/28/14 3:22 pm
Wisconsin, USA
F
franko Online content

BritBike Forum member
franko  Online Content

BritBike Forum member
F

Wisconsin, USA
Good Morning: I've used 0000 steel wool along with WD-40 or Naval Jelly to remove rust from chrome wheels, mufflers and chain guards. The Naval Jelly would be for really bad rust.
Apply the WD-40 or jelly, then scrub the area with the steel wool. Rince or wipe with water.
Try this on something else to see if it will do what you want. The 0000 (extra fine) steel wool in important so as not to leave scratches. Chrome, I think is harder than nickel so test it first in an out of site area. HTH Frank

Re: fighting corrosion on nickel plated frame [Re: franko] #574291
11/28/14 5:28 pm
11/28/14 5:28 pm
Les P Offline

BritBike Forum member
Les P  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Since aluminium foil and water works so well on chrome it may very well do the same on nickel.

More bikes and projects than you can shake a stick at but they should be done in two shakes of a lamb's tail.
Re: fighting corrosion on nickel plated frame [Re: franko] #574351
11/29/14 9:46 am
11/29/14 9:46 am
Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Allan Gill Offline

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: franko
Good Morning: I've used 0000 steel wool along with WD-40 or Naval Jelly to remove rust from chrome wheels, mufflers and chain guards. The Naval Jelly would be for really bad rust.
Apply the WD-40 or jelly, then scrub the area with the steel wool. Rince or wipe with water.
Try this on something else to see if it will do what you want. The 0000 (extra fine) steel wool in important so as not to leave scratches. Chrome, I think is harder than nickel so test it first in an out of site area. HTH Frank

This would be my approach also. Id say any lubricant/light oil. I use duck oil at work for this. Coat afterwards with something like a chrome rim wax.

beerchug
Re: fighting corrosion on nickel plated frame [Re: Allan Gill] #574354
11/29/14 10:02 am
11/29/14 10:02 am
Western NY
P
Pete Suchawreck Offline
BritBike Forum member
Pete Suchawreck  Offline
BritBike Forum member
P

Western NY
I have a Rickman frame with the same problem. The aluminum foil worked for the finer rust, rubbing compound and wax worked for the heavier stuff. Definitely try it in an inconspicuous spot, nickel scratches much easier than chrome.

Re: fighting corrosion on nickel plated frame [Re: chT140e] #574362
11/29/14 10:43 am
11/29/14 10:43 am
barrie ontario canada
68 royalstar tony Offline
BritBike Forum member
68 royalstar tony  Offline
BritBike Forum member

barrie ontario canada
I had good success with aluminum foil and coca cola. No diet cola, coke only.

Re: fighting corrosion on nickel plated frame [Re: chT140e] #574382
11/29/14 2:01 pm
11/29/14 2:01 pm
Nor. California
D
Deadstiffcatt Offline
BritBike Forum member
Deadstiffcatt  Offline
BritBike Forum member
D

Nor. California
I have used their system in the past, however I used the copy chrome. Results were mixed, some held wonderfully, some not, the base metal plays a part; as well as which plate(ie copper, brass, nickel) that you choose to apply to your project. As an example, I plated the ends of my rocker spindles and tach drive cover bolt with fantastic results- and they were left in place and already installed on the bike when I plated them! By following the many suggestions for cleaning, then hitting it with this plating kit, there's a good chance you can replate the bad nickel spots on your frame....just maybe not aluminum foil rubbing first, as this may affect the plating process. I have not tried their nickel plating kit, but it seems it would work well, especially if you also order a copper plate and anode to use as a base for the nickel. I'd reccommend a thorough inspection and research of their site to determine if this might work for your needs. Joe

http://www.caswellplating.com/plug-n-plate-brush-plating-kits/plug-n-plate-nickel-kit.html

Re: fighting corrosion on nickel plated frame [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #574500
11/30/14 1:04 pm
11/30/14 1:04 pm
Kent, UK
U
unclerob Offline
BritBike Forum member
unclerob  Offline
BritBike Forum member
U

Kent, UK
I do a lot of car restoration work and use this....
http://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-treatments
It comes either in powder form or as a gel, one tub of the powder version can be dissolved in about 20 gallons of water and kept in a plastic tub and works for several months....parts left in the tub overnight come out astonishingly well, far and away the best anti corrosion treatment I've ever used....and I've used a lot!!
It needs to stay in contact with the corrosion for at least a few hours so thinking the gel type would be better for a frame since in liquid form it would dry out before it can work....

Re: fighting corrosion on nickel plated frame [Re: chT140e] #574843
12/02/14 10:19 pm
12/02/14 10:19 pm
California, USA
c caspary Offline

BritBike Forum member
c caspary  Offline

BritBike Forum member

California, USA
chT140e

I've found that the finest grade steel wool, polishing compound, and some elbow grease will remove the surface rust - I have tried a clear coat sealer to try and seal the area to prevent rust - the best I can say is that it slows down re-rusting. The sealer then needs to be stripped to polish again.
My frame is not on a show bike so now I just give it a quick spray with silicone - seal out some moisture and at least the dirt comes off easier

Charlie

66 TR6 MkIII Rickman
66 TR6 Scrambler
68 T120 Flat Tracker
Re: fighting corrosion on nickel plated frame [Re: chT140e] #599913
05/17/15 8:11 pm
05/17/15 8:11 pm
Florida PanHandle
Zombie Offline
BritBike Forum member
Zombie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Florida PanHandle
No one addressed the real issue.

It is not the plating that is rusting. That is physically impossible. It is the steel underneath. Microscopic holes in the plating will allow water in or the metal underneath had rust still on the afflicted areas.

Either way that is what needs to be treated.

I am a boat builder for a living so I know about rust. Ospho http://www.ospho.com/ is the best product I know of.
You have to treat the area by following the directions exactly, and then seal the area with whatever you wish. Automotive acrylic clear coats are generally the best, and can be applied with a PreVal spray bottle. I don't recommend waxes as they will biodegrade, and the problem will return.

Don't worry about ever seeing the clear. Wait for it to cure, and wet sand w/ 600, 1000, and finally 1500 grit wet paper. THEN just wax, and buff it out.

Over the years you will be chasing pin holes but if you catch them in time it will not de-laminate the plating

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership