BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Ron Peck
Ron Peck
Chico, CA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
213 registered members (69BSATONY), 1,818 guests, and 543 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 185
koan58 100
Stuart 86
NickL 65
Popular Topics(Views)
436,819 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,269
Posts632,112
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#598276 - 05/06/15 10:31 pm BSA Super Rocket ***  
Glen Breaks Offline
BritBike Forum member
Glen Breaks  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Vancouver, B.C.
I'm interested in these bikes and also the Road Rockets. I have never ridden one and I am wondering what the riding experience is like?
I have a 1975 Commando 850 MK3 which I like a lot, really enjoy the torque and smoothness of that bike. I also have a Vincent Rapide which I have toured 55,000 miles on, again torque and smoothness on that bike are nice.
I rode a 650 single Carb Triumph last year , supposedly in good shape and tune. I really thought it had no go and couldn't see ever using a bike like that loaded two up on big mountain passes like I do with the Norton and Vincent.

I also have a 68 650SS, it is a punchy little bike, but too vibratory to go any distance.
One day I would like to split the cases and have the crank dynamically balanced. It's such a nice handling bike , but the vibes just take the fun out of it.

How do the Rockets do with this type of riding and are they reasonably smooth if given a dynamic crank balance? Torque enough to pull big hills two up with luggage?

Thanks
Glen

Last edited by Glen Breaks; 05/06/15 10:32 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#598334 - 05/07/15 11:03 am Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
Hi Glen,

I think you'll find a Super Rocket or Road Rocket very comparable to the 650SS. Now, I have no idea whether the vibes on your 650SS are normal or not, but a hard mounted parallel twin is inherently going to vibrate a LOT more than a Commando or a Vincent. The torque is also not going to compare to the Commando or Vincent. To get much go you will have to give it some more revs and deal with the extra vibes, much like I'm sure you have to with your 650SS. As for having enough go, it depends on how fast you want to go. Again, expect a similar urge to your 650SS. If you want to have a more flexible, easy-going A10 at the expense of some top-end power, consider a Golden Flash. They're also much more affordable, though judging by your current repertoire, I would guess that's not much of a concern.

HTH,

-alex

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
#598342 - 05/07/15 12:08 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
Magnetoman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted By Glen Breaks
One day I would like to split the cases and have the crank dynamically balanced.
Dynamic balancing isn't a magic cure for vibration. If you look at a current thread running in the Gold Star forum you'll see Phil Pearson quotes three different values for balance factors that differ by over 10%:

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=598148#Post598148

Those widely differing figures, as is the case with all balance factors, are compromises that result in the lowest perceived vibration in a given frame at the rpm range of greatest interest (note: lowest, not zero). Someone can hit any of those balance factors listed in that thread using a static stand within the accuracy with which they have been determined.

Dynamic balancing is useful if, say, an engine has two flywheels that are widely spaced and if for some reason they differ in mass distribution. For example, if someone had statically balanced that crank by drilling a big hole in only one of the flywheels. In a situation like that the crank would vibrate up and down along the axis of the crank (as opposed to simply up and down maintaining the axis if the mass distribution had been equal). Such an imbalance would not reveal itself on a static balancer but would in a dynamic balancer.

Before going to the effort of splitting the cases, take the time to make sure all the motor mounts are tight as well as everything else attached to the bike. Since it's theoretically impossible to perfectly balance a vertical twin there always will be some vibration. If it happens to be at a frequency that excites vibration in something else on the bike (loose mudguard, oil tank, stoplight assembly, etc.) the overall vibration you will feel will be much larger than it otherwise would be.

#598362 - 05/07/15 2:18 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Magnetoman]  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
Originally Posted By Magnetoman

Before going to the effort of splitting the cases, take the time to make sure all the motor mounts are tight as well as everything else attached to the bike. Since it's theoretically impossible to perfectly balance a vertical twin there always will be some vibration. If it happens to be at a frequency that excites vibration in something else on the bike (loose mudguard, oil tank, stoplight assembly, etc.) the overall vibration you will feel will be much larger than it otherwise would be.

Excellent advice, in addition to which I would add the importance of not stressing the frame with the engine. IOW, do not try to force alignment for holes that will not align and add shim (packing) washers into gaps between motor and frame. A stressed frame will vibrate like a plucked guitar string.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
#598368 - 05/07/15 3:26 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
Glen Breaks Offline
BritBike Forum member
Glen Breaks  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Vancouver, B.C.
Alex and Magnetoman, thanks for the info. Re the 650ss, it vibrated much worse when I purchased it. It had been fitted with new rims and spokes as part of a complete restoration, done for the previous owner. The lacing job left a lot to be desired with run out of over 1/8" both directions on both wheels.

I have gone over things for tightness, but will check again.
Re the lineup of bolts and stressing of frame, this is something I have never checked and will definitely have a look at.
Unfortunately this bike has .060" over pistons which add considerably to the reciprocating weight. I see JS Eng now has lightweight pistons for 650 and 750 Dommies, these are said to reduce vibrations quite a lot. The cost is rather high as they have a different pin position and also require new longer rods.

Back to the BSA Super Rocket, I have located one which looks to be in decent shape and I was able to make a deal with the seller.

Glen

Last edited by Glen Breaks; 05/07/15 3:28 pm.
#598370 - 05/07/15 4:13 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
Allan Gill Offline
Allan Gill  Offline

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Piston weights can be reduced by taking away from under the crown. A machine shop with milling machine is best to do this. A lower compression piston is also going to be lighter and if your on standard bore, you may find that an original hepolite or bsa piston is lighter than some of the aftermarket units available today. It would also be better suited to the static balance performed by the factory.

Packing the frame correctly as per Alex is a must and makes a huge difference.

Super rockets (A10's in general) are quite smooth and vibration doesn't tend to be buzzy like the A65 but I have found them to be a much lower frequency and vibration is bearable.

beerchug
#598371 - 05/07/15 4:14 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle
Back to the BSA Super Rocket, I have located one which looks to be in decent shape and I was able to make a deal with the seller.

bigt

A10's are great bikes...they won't have the power of a Vincent or the handling of a featherbed Norton but they are still excel in both categories. Really good all-rounders you can just get on and ride with a minimum of fuss.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
#598374 - 05/07/15 4:57 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
Glen Breaks Offline
BritBike Forum member
Glen Breaks  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Vancouver, B.C.
And very pretty bikes to boot.

Glen

#598378 - 05/07/15 5:25 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
M Shearer Offline
BritBike Forum member
M Shearer  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Perth. Wild West Downunder.

Glen

Wow that didn't take long.
Congratulations Glen and welcome to the other british bike forum.
Remember we like pics here too. bigt

Mark F.
'52 ZB34 Gold Star.
'65 Lightning Rocket.
'74 Roadster Commando.

#598395 - 05/07/15 7:07 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: M Shearer]  
Glen Breaks Offline
BritBike Forum member
Glen Breaks  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Vancouver, B.C.
The seller has taken the bike off his website, so this screen save is the only photo I have. I'll be changing the bars for something a bit lower.

Glen

Last edited by Glen Breaks; 05/07/15 7:08 pm.
#598399 - 05/07/15 7:28 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
M Shearer Offline
BritBike Forum member
M Shearer  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Looks like a nice bike Glen. Although I always thought they looked a little odd with the small U.S.tank.

Mark F.
'52 ZB34 Gold Star.
'65 Lightning Rocket.
'74 Roadster Commando.

#598400 - 05/07/15 7:35 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
NickL Online content
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Aus
Looks like a nice piece of old iron, one of the last of 'em. '63. The old heap I had as a kid was a 62, great bike, had the TT carb and 10.5-1's in it, went very well. Never used it for touring though, only 'tonning'.
The flatter bars and a decent size tank will improve things, but more important stuff like sorting the brakes and lighting come first really.

#598405 - 05/07/15 8:14 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: NickL]  
Glen Breaks Offline
BritBike Forum member
Glen Breaks  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Vancouver, B.C.
Already found a 2 leader brake and complete wheel for it, $100.
The tank is next. I think I would forget to fill that little one often enough!
Too bad, the paint on it is very nice. I don't think it is the correct colour though. From my reading the 63 s only came in metallic red and the Sapphire blue on some earlier bikes was quite different than this blue.

Glen

Last edited by Glen Breaks; 05/07/15 8:41 pm.
#598414 - 05/07/15 9:22 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
NickL Online content
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Aus
Nice one,,,, The twin leader is a good brake, especially with proper asbestos linings not these modern 'green' garbage things. On my old one I just fully floated the shoes, it made it a bit grabby but improved the brake by about 250%. The old Dow fork bushes helped handling as the forks were always a bit long really and rigging a brace is a good move. The bloody cush drive nut used to undo itself on my one as well and chew into the primary cover, I remember having to devise something to stop that, but I can't remember what.
They are a lovely bike when sorted and a good 70-80mph all day long twin. Stick an oil filter on it as the old timing side bush has a reputation......

All the best
Nick

#598418 - 05/07/15 10:05 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: NickL]  
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
Glen,
I actually found those original bars quite comfortable, on my '63.

If you wish to sell them on, I might like to purchase them?
Got an A10 they'll go right onto...
Brett

#598424 - 05/07/15 11:14 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
Glen Breaks Offline
BritBike Forum member
Glen Breaks  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Vancouver, B.C.
Hi Brett

Once I get the old girl home I will try them out and maybe try some lower bars on there as well. If I do change them out, will definitely contact you here.

I'm arranging trucking now. The bike is 2,700 miles away!
Could have waited for a closer deal or a better deal but then figured the bike looked good and summer is here, what am I waiting for?
There doesn't seem to be all that many of these Super Rockets still around and I was really looking for a 61-63 ideally because of the various changes and improvements they came with.
Perhaps a fair number of the bikes have been turned into RGS Replicas and some into RGS fakes. Others have been junked. There are a couple being parted out on eBay.com right now, look to have been complete bikes, what a shame.
I suppose their vitals will live on in another A10 somewhere.

It looks like the total number of Super Rockets built in all years might be around 12,000, does that number sound about right?

Glen

#598441 - 05/08/15 5:37 am Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
Red Lapierre Online content
BritBike Forum member
Red Lapierre  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Upstate NY
Looks nice you will love it. IMO they don't vibrate all that bad. Enjoy.

57 A10 GF
61 A7
61 A10 GF
63 A10 SR
76 CB 125 Honda
76 FLH
2012 FLHTP
#598443 - 05/08/15 6:20 am Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
stubbicatt R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
stubbicatt R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

Westminster, Colorado
My 1963 A10 was a good 'un. I found the high rise bars to make it extraordinarily comfortable to ride. I miss the old girl.

Hate is a poison which one consumes hoping for another to die.
#598446 - 05/08/15 6:37 am Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
M Shearer Offline
BritBike Forum member
M Shearer  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Glen now that you are a bone fide Beeza boy you will have to make your way to the bsa international in 2018 in Oz. bigt

Mark F.
'52 ZB34 Gold Star.
'65 Lightning Rocket.
'74 Roadster Commando.

#598457 - 05/08/15 9:17 am Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
Glen Breaks Offline
BritBike Forum member
Glen Breaks  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Vancouver, B.C.
Would love to head over to OZ . 2018 gives me time to save for it beerchug

Thinking maybe those western bars just need to be rolled back a bit to look proper. Right now they are tipped way forward.

Glen

#598508 - 05/08/15 8:07 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
Gary E Online content
BritBike Forum member
Gary E  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Medford, Oregon
The size of the tank and the western style bars are great looking. Unless you plan on long rides, a larger tank isn't needed. That tank looks to be in great shape. Keep it.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
#598512 - 05/08/15 8:26 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Gary E]  
Glen Breaks Offline
BritBike Forum member
Glen Breaks  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Vancouver, B.C.
I do some long rides but maybe this bike won't get used for those.

I have read that A10s get pretty good mileage, though that might be more so the lower tuned Golden Flash or even RR rather than the late 9 to on SR.

From reading original ads, BSA shows a choice of 3 gallon and a 4 gallon tank for the 63 Super Rocket. Then there is discussion on various forums of a two gallon tank. Any idea if this is a 2 gallon or a 3 gallon and which type of gallons those are?
3 Imperial gallons on a bike that gets 60 MPG would give a range of 150 miles with 1/2 gallon remaining for headwinds etc.

Glen

#598517 - 05/08/15 8:56 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
NickL Online content
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Aus
I guess 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' eh? Gary E. I think they look like crap and a range of 110 miles or so is a bloody joke on any touring bike.

#598519 - 05/08/15 9:22 pm Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
Tridentman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
Yes--I agree--"beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
But to me the A7s and A10s always looked spot on with the 4 Imp gallon tank.
The US tank looks IMHO like a pimple stuck on the top of the frame.
Just my opinion--I guess other opinions are available---but of course are wrong!

#598582 - 05/09/15 10:44 am Re: BSA Super Rocket [Re: Glen Breaks]  
No Name Man Online content
Life member
No Name Man  Online Content

Life member

SE Ohio
Pointless wishful thinking on my part, but why couldn't those designers have come up with a larger tank with the same lines as the too-small to be practical export one?

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
Too much moderation is bad for you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.511s Queries: 16 (0.024s) Memory: 1.0006 MB (Peak: 1.3527 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 00:58:59 UTC