BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
DoubleDiamond
DoubleDiamond
Hampshire, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
213 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,795 guests, and 543 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 183
koan58 99
Stuart 87
NickL 63
Popular Topics(Views)
436,625 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,265
Posts632,066
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#585585 - 02/14/15 6:29 pm 1958 Enfield /Indian Kustom Cafe Racer  
Scottie J Offline
BritBike Forum member
Scottie J  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Denver, CO USA
Hi Everyone!

My name is Scottie, and I just found this forum. Thought I'd share my project. It's a 1958 Royal Enfield Indian Trailblazer, I call her The Blackhawk. The bike sat for over 25 years before I rescued it from a barn. i originally restored it and built it into a bobber style bike 2 years ago. Last summer, it fell over in the driveway and dented the tank, so I decided to build a vintage cafe racer. Too many parts to list, but major ones include a new AMAL 930 MK1, Thorspark electronic ignition conversion, bored +.040 over, primary converted to a dry set up, kustom steel battery box that contains all the electrics and battery, and kustom paint.

How she looked when I brought her home

Version 1

Version 2

Version 3 - Full Kustom Cafe Racer

Scottie J ~ 1958 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer ~ Drinks Corn
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#585651 - 02/15/15 6:31 am Re: 1958 Enfield /Indian Kustom Cafe Racer [Re: Scottie J]  
PatrickMcG Offline
BritBike Forum member
PatrickMcG  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Australia
Very nice. I like all 3 versions!
In the cafe form. Did you do all the tank work yourself? Is it modified original? New tank? Alloy or steel?
Really nice paint work in all 3

#585669 - 02/15/15 8:55 am Re: 1958 Enfield /Indian Kustom Cafe Racer [Re: Scottie J]  
Pete Suchawreck Offline
BritBike Forum member
Pete Suchawreck  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Western NY
Nice job Scottie! That's a bit of a rare bird. I'm partial to the cafe myself.
Did you make the 2-1 pipe?
I'm also curious as how difficult it is to get parts.
Post some close ups please!
Great first post

#585682 - 02/15/15 10:30 am Re: 1958 Enfield /Indian Kustom Cafe Racer [Re: PatrickMcG]  
Scottie J Offline
BritBike Forum member
Scottie J  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Denver, CO USA
Originally Posted By PatrickMcG
Very nice. I like all 3 versions!
In the cafe form. Did you do all the tank work yourself? Is it modified original? New tank? Alloy or steel?
Really nice paint work in all 3

Thank you! I did in fact build everything myself, with the exception of the seat pan which I had outsourced by a custom fab shop, Bedlam Werks. It is fabbed from 16g aluminum, and the whole seat only weighs about 2 pounds total! I did do all the grinding designs on the seat pan and made the pad and skinned it myself. The tank was the original RE high capacity tank, I shaped it myself and then had about 15 hours of smoothing it out before it was ready for paint. The paint itself is black and white base coat, with a heavy dose of gold pearl over the top. Interestingly enough, the color ended up coming out chameleon British Racing Green, which was even cooler than I intended. Hahahaha! It's not finished yet, as I still need to add sponsor (and my own) stickers and reclear. I also want to clear the primary cover to seal it up., and was even thinking of grinding the timing and tranny covers to match as well. I like to do things differently, and everyone either paints or polishes their engine covers. That's why I am think of grinding all the polished metal and clearing it to make it more unique and different than everyone else's bike.

Here are some pics of the paint work for the tank. smile

Last edited by Bulldog Kustoms; 02/15/15 10:31 am.

#585684 - 02/15/15 10:48 am Re: 1958 Enfield /Indian Kustom Cafe Racer [Re: Pete Suchawreck]  
Scottie J Offline
BritBike Forum member
Scottie J  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Denver, CO USA
Originally Posted By Pete Suchawreck
Nice job Scottie! That's a bit of a rare bird. I'm partial to the cafe myself.
Did you make the 2-1 pipe?
I'm also curious as how difficult it is to get parts.
Post some close ups please!
Great first post

Thank you, and good eye! Yes, I built that 2-1 exhaust myself. I really wanted a 2-1 exhaust for several reasons; simplicity, performance and style. The OEM 2-1 exhaust is not only very expensive to buy for what it is, but is also of poor design. So I decided to build it myself using one of the exhaust systems I already had (I also own a 1959 RE Chief basket case). It was a bit of a process to make right, but nothing that I couldn't handle. I mounted the right side pipe into place, as it normally is. Next, I cut the left side pipe to where it just curves down off of the motor and mounted the tie bar to secure it to the other pipe so it wouldn't move. I then looked at the remaining pipe, and determined which piece/s I could use to re-route the left pipe as smoothly as possible. Once I determined what was going to be the best route, and where the Y junction should be, I took the flared end of the left pipe, made some cuts, and welded it to the right pipe to use as a clamp. Then it was just a matter of trimming the other piece down until it was routed perfectly and then welded all that up. Initially the design produced some stump pulling tractor torque, but really puked out over 3500 rpms. I then went thru my pile of Subaru exhaust parts and found a section of 2" pipe that had the exact same bend as my exhaust did after the Y junction. Now, it doesn't have the best low end as you'd expect, but at about 3500-4000 rpms she comes on like a power band so hard, my butt slides all the way to the back of the seat!

The original RE design

Here's a video that really does the exhaust some justice. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZnHlEXUFU&list=UUOuxT3uDOINbn5OmZ0BwRVA

#585772 - 02/15/15 5:33 pm Re: 1958 Enfield /Indian Kustom Cafe Racer [Re: Scottie J]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
J. Charles Smith  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
Very unusual bike and a unique customizing job. Great combination. Always nice to see people break out of the conventional mode - and manage to carry it off so well. Thanks for posting the pics and detailed explanations.

#585902 - 02/16/15 9:13 am Re: 1958 Enfield /Indian Kustom Cafe Racer [Re: Scottie J]  
Bike Scribe Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bike Scribe  Offline
BritBike Forum member

APAC
Fantastic job on the conversion Scottie. Lovin the tank.

Your cafe build is being featured in the BikeBuilds.net directory here: Bulldog Kustoms’ Indian Trailblazer Cafe build.
We’re currently displaying only a reduced-size photo (similar to what you’d find in Google Images).
We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your build listing.

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just shoot me a PM with a link to the build thread and we’ll take care of the rest.
If you wish to add your build personally, please feel free to peruse our Submit feature. No registrations required.

Al

#585905 - 02/16/15 9:48 am Re: 1958 Enfield /Indian Kustom Cafe Racer [Re: Bike Scribe]  
Scottie J Offline
BritBike Forum member
Scottie J  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Denver, CO USA
Thanks Al! By all means use whatever pics you'd like. If you'd like, pm an email and I can send you a zip folder loaded with full size pics. smile

Scottie

#586026 - 02/16/15 9:43 pm Re: 1958 Enfield /Indian Kustom Cafe Racer [Re: Scottie J]  
Scottie J Offline
BritBike Forum member
Scottie J  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Denver, CO USA
Thought I'd post some more pics of the work I've done over the winter. Here are some pics of the custom battery/electrical box I made. I wanted to make something that would conceal all the electrics and connections. So I built this box to hide the battery and all connections inside.

I started out with 1/8" hot rolled steel plate. I bent it in a hand brake so that it would sit on top of the frame under the seat. Then I welded in the front and rear sides. I then tacked in a small shelf for the fuse panel to mount to. The box itself bolts to two 1/2" threaded bungs that are there from the factory.

The I cut and bent a piece of 16g cold rolled steel to make a lid that snaps into place.

After that I cut holes for the igntion switch and rubber grommets for the wires to run in and out of. Then I started to run wires for the custom harness.

I soldered in a 3 wire plug from a Subaru to the brake light to make it easily removable if needed.

Once everything was ran and mocked up, I coated the inside of the box with rubberized undercoating and painted the outside gloss black. You can see in this pic where I welded 2 6x1.0 bolts to the front of the box to mount my rectifier.

And here the box is finished with all of the wiring run and complete.

#586027 - 02/16/15 9:45 pm Re: 1958 Enfield /Indian Kustom Cafe Racer [Re: Scottie J]  
Scottie J Offline
BritBike Forum member
Scottie J  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Denver, CO USA
My brand new unused Emgo shocks that I scored off Craigslist for $40. smile

#586029 - 02/16/15 9:50 pm Re: 1958 Enfield /Indian Kustom Cafe Racer [Re: Scottie J]  
Scottie J Offline
BritBike Forum member
Scottie J  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Denver, CO USA

#586310 - 02/19/15 9:49 am Re: 1958 Enfield /Indian Kustom Cafe Racer [Re: Scottie J]  
Pete Suchawreck Offline
BritBike Forum member
Pete Suchawreck  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Western NY
Sounds good! How hard has it been to get parts?

#586404 - 02/19/15 6:18 pm Re: 1958 Enfield /Indian Kustom Cafe Racer [Re: Pete Suchawreck]  
Scottie J Offline
BritBike Forum member
Scottie J  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Denver, CO USA
Originally Posted By Pete Suchawreck
Sounds good! How hard has it been to get parts?

I order most of my parts from Hitchcock's. All the "universal" stuff I buy locally from The Bonneville Shop. A bit of the PITA ordering parts from England, but it is what it is.

#596921 - 04/27/15 8:44 pm Re: 1958 Enfield /Indian Kustom Cafe Racer [Re: Scottie J]  
Scottie J Offline
BritBike Forum member
Scottie J  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Denver, CO USA
Finally getting around to the finishing touches on the bike. I pulled the seat pan and outer primary cover off last to get it ready for paint. I'm color matching them to the gas tank, black base with gold and white pearl coat. I got them sprayed with acid etch primer this morning, and then after work I got them sealed, based and pearled. Tomorrow morning I'll be hydro-dipping the primary cover and the cowl section of the seat pan in a skull pattern. It should look sick as fuck when I'm done. smile

Green Acid Etch Primer

Gold Pearl Coat

Here is a test dip sample of the pattern that I am using. smile

Last edited by Scottie J; 04/27/15 8:45 pm.

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.073s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 0.9072 MB (Peak: 1.1581 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 20:53:25 UTC