BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Chris Newport
Chris Newport
San Jose, CA USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
202 registered members (2ndchildhood), 1,713 guests, and 682 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Robert Jones, Richard baynham, 666Diogenes, Mick56, Peter somers
9743 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 78
Lannis 68
desco 56
Popular Topics(Views)
360,301 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics64,039
Posts619,014
Members9,743
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Follow BritBike here!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#598493 - 05/08/15 3:47 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Richrd Offline
Richrd  Offline

Springfield Nebraska
GPS!!!

and for the enjoyment of all of you who live within 300 miles of blowing rock and have nothing more to do than hook up the trailer, turn up the volume and be prepared to hit the pause button to read the longer captions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evy3reAUIpc&feature=youtube_gdata

Rich (member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
#598496 - 05/08/15 4:02 pm Re: roll call [Re: Richrd]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
Originally Posted By Richrd
GPS!!!

and for the enjoyment of all of you who live within 300 miles of blowing rock and have nothing more to do than hook up the trailer, turn up the volume and be prepared to hit the pause button to read the longer captions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evy3reAUIpc&feature=youtube_gdata

GPS?? what about those of us that are technology challenged??

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
#598523 - 05/08/15 10:14 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
Gees, it's more fun when you get lost.....say it ain't so Lannis! Just be home before dark and don't break down.

Mr Mike

#598524 - 05/08/15 10:18 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
GPS? We don't need no steenking GPS! Turns formerly strong, self-reliant men and women into puling slaves of technology who can't step off their porch without their electronic teddy bear.

You either know where you are or you are Touring! Neither one of those is bad, and neither requires a GPS!

Lannis

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."
Voltaire
#598557 - 05/09/15 6:42 am Re: roll call [Re: Lannis]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Hey....you guys could use that GPS that kept sending us around in circles when we visited Wheels Through Time for the 10th bigt

I've had plenty of time to think about things like this....and to be honest IMO if I'm in a group of riders....I want the riders in front and back of me paying attention....not being distracted watching/reading a screen....of any type.

The painting lines/arrows isn't that bad of an idea....I've got thousands of miles on a pedal bike...the cross Florida ride (170+ miles in one day)has always been my favorite....but somebody would have to take the time to do the painting....three States and Lord knows how many counties you go through....it'd be hard to keep up with all the LEOs you'd have to contact. Good thing is...since the ride is now 15 years old....most of those people have seen us before.

From time to time I'll be talking about British motorcycles with somebody at work and somebody else will chime in..."Yea, last year I saw a bunch of them old bikes at a gas station over by hwy 133" .....yep...that was us. smile

Gona miss you guys and gals....maybe our paths will cross at the BIBR or the OSMR.. bigt

Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/09/15 6:45 am.
#598568 - 05/09/15 9:07 am Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
I am not as harsh as Lannis on electronic devices. I have a cell phone and I use it for mostly things like..(1) grocery shopping so I come home with the right stuff and (2) taking a Brit bike ride...this use is obvious, (3) Boating by myself. GPS's are ok for things like unknown addresses in strange cities but for most driving they are a major distraction and most of the time they have a different way to go than what I have planned. GPS's are great on water. I had a loran C before GPS was available.

Mr Mike

#598578 - 05/09/15 10:18 am Re: roll call [Re: Mr Mike]  
Semper Gumby Offline
BritBike Forum member
Semper Gumby  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Atlanta, GA USA
Hmm...I have found more cool places by noting as it went by "hey that looks like someplace I want to go" and then turning. I'll keep my 15 year old GPS on my 45 year old motorcycle thank you very much. Plus my GPS keeps tabs on my electrical system, dare I say free of charge(hA!!!!)

I have diagnosed a major electrical problem on the Firebird while riding without stopping, changed the configuration of the bike electrical setup so that I could continue and GET HOME. Sometimes I am quite far from home.

No thanks - I'll keep my old GPS.

And if you don't want to ride with me then good luck and Godspeed. 99% of the time I'm riding by myself anyway.

Gaggle of BSAs
a Honda
an old BMW
and a Montesa
Parking lot Elf in training
#598583 - 05/09/15 10:51 am Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Thunderbutt Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thunderbutt  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Fl., U.S.A.
Mr Mike-LORAN C?! I heard Columbus had one of those after his RDF failed. Your dating yourself sailor -grins

Jerry

#598584 - 05/09/15 10:57 am Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Richrd Offline
Richrd  Offline

Springfield Nebraska
lannis lad, no offense, but you said the same thing when internal combustion engines replaced the horse. and every development since. I remember how you freaked out the first time you found out you could plug your tv into a wall socket.

And there is something about the thrill of trying to read the fine print on the route map thru the cloudy plastic window of the map pocket.

But I don't ride in a group and think getting lost is highly over rated.

"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
and the Snake Bike
#598585 - 05/09/15 10:59 am Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Richrd Offline
Richrd  Offline

Springfield Nebraska
back in the "real" enduro days, they would layout the pavement sections with flour. they would fill small paper bags, then drive the roads tossing the bags out of the back of a pickup. the bag would break and the flour would taper to a point pointing the way.

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
and the Snake Bike
#598587 - 05/09/15 11:06 am Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
No Name Man Online content
Life member
No Name Man  Online Content

Life member

SE Ohio
I use the nav in my cars as a moving map. Never let it tell me where to go. I like maps.
GPS a tool like any other...if a bit incongruous on a 50 year-old bike. Thinking about getting one.

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
Too much moderation is bad for you.

#598591 - 05/09/15 11:35 am Re: roll call [Re: Semper Gumby]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Originally Posted By Semper Gumby
<snip>and if you don't want to ride with me then good luck and Godspeed. 99% of the time I'm riding by myself anyway.

We getting a little touchy there Bill ????? smile My point (and opinion, which we all have a right to)is....riding by yourself has NOTHING to do with riding in a group. We're talking about the TSMR which is a group ride. IMO...in a group ride you owe it to the riders in front and behind you to be paying attention.

Now I only ran 14 TSMRs so I really don't have any real experence.....but at first we lost people....which in the real world is no big deal. But once we switched over to two or more ride leaders and added the signage...we only lost one and that was pretty much my fault.

Richrd, I agree with you about the map holder....when I ride by myself that's what I use but with BIG print...oh and I'm riding by myself. My bet is nobody in all the 14 TSMR has used the directions and map to get around the course. Mr Mike and Don just used them as a back up for a year or so.

I've said enough and won't bother yall with my opinion on this again.....now I'm getting touchy.

Peace brothers.....Pokey

#598593 - 05/09/15 11:43 am Re: roll call [Re: Semper Gumby]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By Semper Gumby
99% of the time I'm riding by myself anyway.

Well, I wonder why that is? confused whistle

When we were riding in the Redwood forests of California, and the fog was so thick you could barely see your front wheel, and most of us were riding slowly hoping we wouldn't fall off the face of the earth .... eek

.... all we saw of you was that fully-loaded Thunderwing flying past us at what seemed like racing speed, disappearing into the fog like a wraith, and leaning over till I was sure that the panniers were going to hit the road .... ! shocked

So if you find yourself alone on a curvy road, don't take it personal! I'd rather still be alive and able to talk when we get back to Blowing Rock in the evening. I can't compete with 'airplane pilot' instincts and reaction times ... beerchug

Lannis

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."
Voltaire
#598594 - 05/09/15 11:45 am Re: roll call [Re: Richrd]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
back in the "real" enduro days, they would layout the pavement sections with flour. they would fill small paper bags, then drive the roads tossing the bags out of the back of a pickup. the bag would break and the flour would taper to a point pointing the way.

That's great for most places in the world. I suspect that in May around Blowing Rock, it would go from flour to dough to washed into the ditch in about 20 minutes ... !!

Lannis

Voltaire
#598764 - 05/10/15 9:38 am Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Richrd Offline
Richrd  Offline

Springfield Nebraska
I hear the band warming up. was scheduled to cue the music this afternoon but with storms moving in it may play sooner.

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
and the Snake Bike
#598780 - 05/10/15 11:25 am Re: roll call [Re: Thunderbutt]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
Originally Posted By Thunderbutt
Mr Mike-LORAN C?! I heard Columbus had one of those after his RDF failed. Your dating yourself sailor -grins

Jerry

Before Loran C was available and affordable we used an RDF to find our way home. In the early days we relied almost totally on the compass and charts. The RDF's kinda worked like the early TV antenna's that you had to go outside and turn to get the other networks. Someone would have to go on the roof and someone was stationed at a window to tell you when the picture "came in".

A lot of younger folks can't even read a map today so if their gps quits, they don't know where they are going or for that matter "where they are".

Mr Mike

#598783 - 05/10/15 11:37 am Re: roll call [Re: Mr Mike]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
Originally Posted By Mr Mike
Someone would have to go on the roof and someone was stationed at a window to tell you when the picture "came in".Mr Mike

I remember those days well, I was on the roof my sister was at the window and Dad was in his recliner.
I used to think my Grandad was rich because he had one of those electric rotater gizmos.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
#598827 - 05/10/15 6:22 pm Re: roll call [Re: Richrd]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
lannis lad, no offense, but you said the same thing when internal combustion engines replaced the horse. and every development since. I remember how you freaked out the first time you found out you could plug your tv into a wall socket.

Well, the funny thing is, I tried it (the TV, that is) because I don't want to be accused of just not using technology out of ignorance. I've tried it.

I've had a broadcast TV. Programming was so stupid I just got rid of it. I've had a satellite TV. The programming (which I was PAYING for) was so stupid and mindless that I got rid of it.

The people I worked for made me carry a cell phone, and later a Blackberry. I learned how to use them, how to text, how to access the Internet, how to use it as a GPS. When I quit work, they took them back, and I haven't had one since. No use for one that I can see. confused

Fay had a cell phone. She paid $45 a month for the phone, and averaged 10 minutes per month. Counting on my four-function calculator, that's $4.50 per minute. That's stupid, so we cancelled that and neither one of us has a cell phone now. beerchug

I've used GPSs in rental cars. I've never really needed to use it, not even in strange cities far from home. The last time I used one, I set the destination in the opposite direction that I was going, set the language to Portuguese, and enjoyed listening to the electronic tart tell me to "make a U turn, you are going the wrong way" in Portuguese for 10 minutes, then switched to Mandarin, then shut it off. So I can't see any point in paying for one, downloading maps, all that stuff. sick

We ALL did without that stuff for years, and were happy and fulfilled. I'm still happy and fulfilled without it.

And anyone responding with a post about caves and flint knapping is indicating that they are an Addict and have no idea what I am talking about! bigt

Lannis

Voltaire
#598876 - 05/10/15 11:50 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Richrd Offline
Richrd  Offline

Springfield Nebraska
"Ya'll ain.t gona beleive this shit!"

Commando and I are alive. (one of us at least). Short story, left home on Dixie the norton, tri spark went out 50 miles later. left home 4 hours later on the Bstrom. 250 miles later we're skidding down the hiway at 75mph for 252 feet. took out superbike chain, swingarm, chainguard, and new Michelen tire.

bike is in a gaarage til I can get back here to pick it up and CC and I are in a motel hoping Paul will pick us up tomorrow.

nothing like going to the tsmr without a bike.

Maybe mr.mike will bring me something to ride.

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
and the Snake Bike
#598888 - 05/11/15 1:24 am Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
BeezaBryan Online content
BritBike Forum member
BeezaBryan  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
Bugger the bikes & TSMR Richard, are you OK?

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#598912 - 05/11/15 6:31 am Re: roll call [Re: BeezaBryan]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Originally Posted By BeezaBryan
Bugger the bikes & TSMR Richard, are you OK?

HOLY COW!!!!! shocked

Your typing....that's a good sign. Gona be the best ever story to tell. Hope you're not to sore this morning.

Thinking about ya......Pokey

#598918 - 05/11/15 7:09 am Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Richrd Offline
Richrd  Offline

Springfield Nebraska
I'd better clarify, I didn,t go down, just had a wild ride.

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
and the Snake Bike
#598924 - 05/11/15 8:19 am Re: roll call [Re: Richrd]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
I'd better clarify, I didn,t go down, just had a wild ride.

Don't scare us like that smile

Chain breaks.....then it wraps around the wheel/swingarm locking up the rear wheel at 75 MPH. Man oh man shocked what a freaking frown ride that musta been. crazy shocked crazy 252 feet sliding to a stop.....YIKES!!!!!

At least you're okay.....chin up, there'll be plenty of loaner bikes at the motel.

Cleaning out those leathers is going to be a chore though. laughing

Glad you're okay Richrd......that's the main thing.

Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/11/15 8:21 am.
#598927 - 05/11/15 8:36 am Re: roll call [Re: Lannis]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC

Fay had a cell phone. She paid $45 a month for the phone, and averaged 10 minutes per month. Counting on my four-function calculator, that's $4.50 per minute. That's stupid, so we cancelled that and neither one of us has a cell phone now. beerchug

We ALL did without that stuff for years, and were happy and fulfilled. I'm still happy and fulfilled without it.

Lannis [/quote]

I agree with most of what you write....however... Lela likes old movies and I like some sports programs so we have TV's. I went w/o TV for about ten years and the only thing I missed that I now enjoy is the "Andy Griffith Show".

GPS on the ocean is about the only way you can find a wreck on the bottom when you are 12 miles off shore. I know how to find an address in a strange city where I have no map but a GPS is much easier and faster. Lannis, you and Fay may be candidates for a Trac phone where you buy your minutes prepaid. I don't use my cellphone very much but when I do it is a convenience that is worthwhile and practical and in emergencies which are admittedly rare they quite useful.

Just saying.

See you in a couple days. I want to hear about your retirement. Got you oil pressure kit for the A65.

Mr Mike

#598929 - 05/11/15 8:47 am Re: roll call [Re: Richrd]  
Greenspringfarm Offline
BritBike Forum member
Greenspringfarm  Offline

BritBike Forum member

SW Pa
Rich, I'm bringing two Bikes.

Ben

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership