BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Swan
Swan
Winona, MN
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
209 registered members (99cyclone), 1,871 guests, and 627 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
melramius, Bob Newton, Klaus, LiborP, BrianG
9851 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 116
Stuart 115
NickL 94
Popular Topics(Views)
393,633 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics64,638
Posts625,335
Members9,850
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Follow BritBike here!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#597057 - 04/28/15 9:41 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
DPO Offline
BritBike Forum member
DPO  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Douglasville (Atlanta) Georgia
Seen Bill (Semper Gumby) last night as he arrived in my late arriving Seven Turdy Seven from St. Louis in the right seat. Says he'll be there, but will have to figure out arrangements...Told him he could stay in our room if it has extra accomodations....We'll figure it out...

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back, you've highsided!"

1971 Triumph T120
2005 Triumph "America"
1976 BMW R90/6
#597305 - 04/30/15 6:17 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Sweet Melissa Offline
BritBike Forum member
Sweet Melissa  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Blowing Rock, North Carolina U...
Hey guys, first sorry about the crazy email some of you guys got! Someone hacked my business email account frown

I can't believe that it is only two weeks away until the British Invasion!

Just to let everyone know we do still have rooms available for the weekend (they are blocked on the internet so normal people can't get thrown in with you guys). laughing
So if anyone still needs a room just give me a call.

We will be doing the sunshine dance!

#598267 - 05/06/15 9:08 pm Re: roll call [Re: georgesmith]  
fredguaz Offline
BritBike Forum member
fredguaz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Lake Norman, NC
Hey all,
I plan on being there this year, my third consecutive. Driving up from Lake Norman, NC.

fredguaz
1977 Bonneville T140V
1971 Honda CT-70 Ko
1972 Honda CT-70 K1
1977 Fiat 124 Spider (Current project)
1990 GMC S-15 Jimmy (Daily rider)

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!"
#598271 - 05/06/15 9:50 pm Re: roll call [Re: Sweet Melissa]  
Greenspringfarm Offline
BritBike Forum member
Greenspringfarm  Offline

BritBike Forum member

SW Pa
MELISSA, can't believe no one took you to task for your comment about "normal" people not being able to mix in with us!

Ben

#598272 - 05/06/15 9:59 pm Re: roll call [Re: Greenspringfarm]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By Greenspringfarm
MELISSA, can't believe no one took you to task for your comment about "normal" people not being able to mix in with us!

Ben

I took it as a compliment .... !

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#598305 - 05/07/15 8:02 am Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
I got around to starting a couple of my BSA's to make sure I had a rider for next week. Both the A65 and B50 got serviced last winter when it was too cold to ride. Both started right up and ran good. I guess it will be the B50, my preference on rural roads. The B50 has only one downside. Mine starts on one maybe two kicks when stone cold or hot, but if it is hot and sits for five minutes ....like a gas stop...it can be a cantankerous starter. Don't know how to fix that without affecting normal starting. My A65 started on the second kick after sitting all winter and is a one kick starter most of the time. Sometimes I wonder why we mess with these old bikes....I guess I enjoy tinkering with them over painting, garden work, lawn work or the many other chores that keep me busy.

See you guys next week.

Mr Mike

#598306 - 05/07/15 8:02 am Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
BeezaBryan Online content
BritBike Forum member
BeezaBryan  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
Melissa's perception of normality may not be quite the same as ours

Vive la difference as les Francaise might say beerchug

https://www.gentlemansride.com/rider/beezabryan

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#598308 - 05/07/15 8:07 am Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Richrd Online content
Richrd  Online Content

Springfield Nebraska
normalcy is highly over rated. I thought I had another week to go but suddenly (tuesday) discovered it's time to pack and I still have three jobs to finish before I leave and looks like rain. AS ALWAYS!

Rich (member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
#598318 - 05/07/15 9:49 am Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Thunderbutt Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thunderbutt  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Fl., U.S.A.
Im just finishing preparing my bike so it stops acting like the Exxon Valdez. Is anyone going to volunteer to be a SAG Wagon like the bicyclist have. Someone to follow up with extra inner tubes, patch kits, oil drip pads etc.? JUST KIDDING!!!! Looking forward to meeting everyone next week.

Jerry

#598328 - 05/07/15 10:40 am Re: roll call [Re: Thunderbutt]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By Thunderbutt
Im just finishing preparing my bike so it stops acting like the Exxon Valdez. Is anyone going to volunteer to be a SAG Wagon like the bicyclist have. Someone to follow up with extra inner tubes, patch kits, oil drip pads etc.? JUST KIDDING!!!! Looking forward to meeting everyone next week.

Jerry

Hadn't thought about that. Windy, do we need to be recruiting a sag wagon? I know we won't have a fully-equipped pit crew, tools, lifts, av-gas, and a van like Gordon has done, but a pickup truck with a driver, tool roll, 2 gallons of Chevron gas, a couple quarts of Castrol, and a pair of tie downs and a ramp wouldn't go amiss ....

Maybe someone's son or daughter, or a good-sport wife or girlfriend?

Lannis

#598336 - 05/07/15 11:07 am Re: roll call [Re: Lannis]  
bill50cal Online content
bill50cal  Online Content

orlando fla/ shady valley Tn
I will NOT be a ride leader this year but instead I will be the sag wagon with truck and trailer along with some no booze high test dead dinosaurs.what I will try this year as I don't have the signs or the time to place them is a sweep rider in each group. this will be talked in more detail at the riders meeting.

windy
72 combat
switchbackcreek.com
#598351 - 05/07/15 12:32 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Windy and I have talked about different kinds of "Leaders" many times over the years.

Ride leaders are VERY important and you really can't do it without them. (unless someone can teach us in the US how they do it in the UK) BUT I've always felt....you can't "manage" the ride from the front.

Again, just my opinion but the chase truck driver NEEDS to know where they are on the loop at all times. That's as important as the rider leading up front. There's no way the chase can follow the groups close enough to keep them in sight. So you need somebody that knows the route and area like the back of their hand.

You're in the chase truck and you come up on a rider down and hurt on Hwy 58. Both the hurt rider and his buddy are counting on you for help.....whacha gona do?

You guys be safe out there.....and watch out for each other. Even though I'll not be there, I'd never forgive myself if one of you gets hurt.

Pokey

#598380 - 05/07/15 5:30 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Ob1quixote Online content
BritBike Forum member
Ob1quixote  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Charleston SC
The route sheet holder is a very good tool. I use them all the time on my dual sport rides. It allows a ride to navigate a route, solo or grouped.

Print out a document with columns sized to fit with the route in order, with turns noted by the tripmeter mileage. Reset the tripmeter to zero at a few points in the ride, this helps cut back on odometer variation errors. One could also keep a total mileage column for those with no tripmeter.

Number each turn, and make a map with each turn correspondingly numbered so riders have something to refer to in their pockets.

If someone really wanted to do it dual sport style, they could post a small sign at each turn with the corresponding number.

Guys, I have done route sheets over 1000 miles, and commonly do them for rides with hundreds of participants. The route sheet holder is easily removed and installed, so these Brit beauties need not be marred with it unless needed, fits with a simple hose clamp to the bars.

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
#598381 - 05/07/15 5:32 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Charleston SC
Oh, and use all caps and a bold font to help it be legible!

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
#598387 - 05/07/15 6:34 pm Re: roll call [Re: Ob1quixote]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Ob...does your TR25W have a working trip meter/odometer?

Pokey

#598392 - 05/07/15 6:56 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Charleston SC
Got an odometer, not sure it works, since the bike has never run for me. The B44 has a working odometer.

Seems many bikes would have at least one or both. And like those who attend DS events without a trip meter, odometer or roll chart holder, they depend on others to guide, and the map if need be.

Widely spread route info isnt a bad thing, even if not used optimally.

#598397 - 05/07/15 7:18 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
On the other hand, the years when some of us got lost (me, Mr. Mike, Ben, Jim at various times) and came in very late to applause and "How did THAT happen?" are the ones we remember the most about .... !

Lannis

#598403 - 05/07/15 8:00 pm Re: roll call [Re: Lannis]  
bill50cal Online content

as gordon says the sweep is even more important then the front IF heaven forbid something goes wrong. you have to know where you are to give directions to EMS if needed or to get them off the road in a safe manner. one thing I want to do at each gas stop is to re-emphasize any critical turns that will put you way off off course. one of them that is an easy miss is where 58 makes a right and IF you go straight you WILL find your self in chillhowie Va. another one is remember the parkway is ALLWAYS SOUTH. I will have printed directions and it is broken up in halves. the start to lunch stop and lunch stop to blowing rock.I just wish I had the extra time to do the signs but one, gordon still has them (my fault) and again a time issue.I do a lot of other things up here and this year has not co-operated weather wise. I have started construction on our house and as of today the basement is dug so the next step is to setup to do the footings. grave digging, septic systems and other dirt work will keep a man busy when it gets dry enough to work along with trying to keep old heavy equipment running. see you guys in a few days.

windy
72 combat
switchbackcreek.com
#598404 - 05/07/15 8:04 pm Re: roll call [Re: Ob1quixote]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Yea, you're right Lannis....those were easy to remember. laughing

OB..a little history..back during the early years Alan and I would pre-ride the loop together on four wheels. It was the second or third year (I think second) where we recorded all the distances between turns along with totals. We printed ride maps and directions and offered them at ALL the events after that. They were passed out at sign up. I had at least 50 copies with me the year you rode with us. Don Roe even had us color code them with Green and Red for right and left turns. I still have plenty of ride maps and directions together with all my other TSMR stuff.

What we didn't have were roll charts. The way I saw it ( just watching how people handled it) the map and directions were mostly just stuffed in somebodies pocket and never seen again...the only useful information was the contact numbers printed/written on them in case you got lost and needed us to come get you. For a few years Mr Mike would tape a copy of the colored coded directions to his tank (all the directions fit on a 8.5 X 11 sheet with LARGE printing)...Don Roe did the same. Finally they knew the loop well enough that they stopped that. We still lost people....that was until we split up into two groups with at least two ride leaders and added the signage. We only lost one fellow ( Jim on the Parkway) after that.

Roll charts might be the answer.....or drop off...or nothing, just let it happen.

Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/07/15 8:23 pm.
#598406 - 05/07/15 8:15 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Windy....I can get you the signs but the down side is....if you put them up early...by the time the ride happens some of them will be gone.

I always rode the loop Friday (the ride was on Saturday) and placed the signs. That way I knew what the loop looked like the day before the ride and we stood a better chance of all the signs being left where I put them. I would get up Sunday and pick the signs back up and most of the time...I'd still loose one or two.

IMO....there's also no way you can stop and pick them up while the ride's going on....it's hard enough to keep up as it is.

I don't blame you at all for not putting them out...it takes up a lot of time and energy.

Yea....I'm not worrying over this laughing..... You'll do fine Windy...and believe me the BEST part of the weekend is....when everybody is back at the motel safe and sound.

Pokey....ex mother hen

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/07/15 8:22 pm.
#598408 - 05/07/15 8:31 pm Re: roll call [Re: John Blue]  
bill50cal Online content

A big 10-4 on that mother hen. laughing

Originally Posted By Gordon Gray

and believe me the BEST part of the weekend is....when everybody is back at the motel safe and sound.

Pokey....ex mother hen

windy
72 combat
switchbackcreek.com
#598415 - 05/07/15 9:41 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
For those not familiar with the ride, just outline the ride on a map. I made up some maps with NC, TN, and VA on an 8.5x11. I think I gave some to Gordon to make up or he made his own. Anyway the ride is clockwise...mostly right turns but not all. If you get lost look at the map and there are plenty of ways to get to Boone which is a short ride to Blowing Rock. The year Lannis and I got lost we spent a lot of time tryng to find a place that sold a map. Asking directions got one of two responses. (1) Blowing Rock .....never heerd of it.....er what state is that in???? or (2) Blowing Rock...that's over yonder...just follow this road that comes to the old dug road...follow that for a while and it'll take you out to the highway that'll take right to Blowing Rock. Locals do not use route numbers. Anyway Lannis and I ended up near Abingdon, VA. He made me wring out my 441 on I-85 but we had good fun.

Mr Mike

#598474 - 05/08/15 12:18 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Thunderbutt Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thunderbutt  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Fl., U.S.A.
This is just a suggestion so please don't take this as me trying to tell anyone how to run this event. I have attended numerous organized bicycle events with ride lengths ranging from 34, 62, and 100 miles. In order to mark the route, the organizers will mark the event route using spray paint on the shoulder of the road. The first marking, usually a painted arrow on the pavement, will be several hundred feet prior to the turn or intersection, and a second marking indicating what direction the participants should continue. And often times a third marking will be painted after the turn or intersection confirming the participants are on the correct route. The markings are usually done with a bright orange, red, or yellow spray can and when combined with the printed route maps, usually keep people from becoming lost. A heads up to the local law enforcement or park rangers will prevent anyone from be accused of tagging or defacing the highway. Hope this helps, if I were closer I would be glad to help out.

Jerry

#598476 - 05/08/15 12:32 pm Re: roll call [Re: Thunderbutt]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By Thunderbutt
This is just a suggestion so please don't take this as me trying to tell anyone how to run this event. I have attended numerous organized bicycle events with ride lengths ranging from 34, 62, and 100 miles. In order to mark the route, the organizers will mark the event route using spray paint on the shoulder of the road. The first marking, usually a painted arrow on the pavement, will be several hundred feet prior to the turn or intersection, and a second marking indicating what direction the participants should continue. And often times a third marking will be painted after the turn or intersection confirming the participants are on the correct route. The markings are usually done with a bright orange, red, or yellow spray can and when combined with the printed route maps, usually keep people from becoming lost. A heads up to the local law enforcement or park rangers will prevent anyone from be accused of tagging or defacing the highway. Hope this helps, if I were closer I would be glad to help out.

Jerry

It takes MUCH less than this level of interest to result in a nomination to be Chief Cook and Bottle Washer of the TSMR, with a certificate in Road Marking.

Some good ideas there. Be careful about spray-painting the BRP, the federal rangers have NO sense of humor or fun, even about British bikes!

Lannis

#598477 - 05/08/15 12:42 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Thunderbutt Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thunderbutt  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Fl., U.S.A.
I'll be glad to export a couple of our little street thugs that have a degree in building tagging. With any luck they will get lost and never be heard from again......blame the bears!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.259s Queries: 15 (0.010s) Memory: 1.0042 MB (Peak: 1.3553 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-09-20 18:21:47 UTC