BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Swan
Swan
Winona, MN
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
209 registered members (99cyclone), 1,871 guests, and 627 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
melramius, Bob Newton, Klaus, LiborP, BrianG
9851 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 116
Stuart 115
NickL 94
Popular Topics(Views)
393,633 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics64,638
Posts625,335
Members9,850
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Follow BritBike here!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#596631 - 04/25/15 7:42 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
Plan to be there sometime Thursday. Wife planning to come. If this the 14th year, this is my 14th ride...lost count. Looking forward to it. B50 will again be ride of choice.
Mr Mike

#596633 - 04/25/15 8:10 pm Re: roll call [Re: Mr Mike]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Originally Posted By Mr Mike
Plan to be there sometime Thursday. Wife planning to come. If this the 14th year, this is my 14th ride...lost count. Looking forward to it. B50 will again be ride of choice.
Mr Mike

Mr Mike, this will be your 15th. You sir clap are the ONLY person to start and complete ALL 14 events on a Brit Bike. (and you always finished on the same bike you started on) clap Nobody else can claim that. clap bigt clap bigt clap

Hope I didn't jinx ya wink Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 04/25/15 8:13 pm.
#596635 - 04/25/15 8:17 pm Re: roll call [Re: MikeG]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Originally Posted By MikeG
Originally Posted By Richrd
no,, I found an elastic master link.

hey...this is a Britbike site. enough of the two stroke jokes laugh

My friend Mike.....BSA, Cotton, Scott.....just to name a few laughing

Don't get me wrong...I hate the nasty oil burning bastards...always have.

Pokey

#596640 - 04/25/15 9:45 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Richrd Online content
Richrd  Online Content

Springfield Nebraska
I think I've burned more oiil in britbikes than I have two smokes.

Rich (member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
#596645 - 04/25/15 10:20 pm Re: roll call [Re: Richrd]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Originally Posted By Richrd
I think I've burned more oiil in britbikes than I have two smokes.

Hello......add to the list.......Greeves, James, Silk, Panther, Ariel.

......heh?

Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 04/25/15 10:21 pm.
#596647 - 04/25/15 11:11 pm Re: roll call [Re: John Blue]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
Originally Posted By Gordon Gray
Mr Mike

Mr Mike, this will be your 15th. You sir clap are the ONLY person to start and complete ALL 14 events on a Brit Bike. (and you always finished on the same bike you started on) clap Nobody else can claim that. clap bigt clap bigt clap

Gordon,
Sooner or later my time will come. Since I started riding again in about 1999. I have broken down three times where I had to get my truck to get home. I broke a tappet on the B-50, a blown head gasket on A65, and a detent spring on B44. Actually could have made it home on B44, but chose not to. I have had a few fixes alongside the road, two on the TSMR. Normal stuff like blown fuse, sunken float in carb, ran out of gas, wire on coil came loose.

I am always leery of the B50 with all the electrical stuff crammed in that box. If I have an electrical problem, I'm cooked.
Mr Mike

#596665 - 04/26/15 4:27 am Re: roll call [Re: Mr Mike]  
Alan_nc Online content
Alan_nc  Online Content

Greensboro, NC
Just for clarification:

I did bring a BSA 2 stroke to the TSMR one year. There are pictures of Lannis riding it floating around somewhere.

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
#596683 - 04/26/15 7:56 am Re: roll call [Re: Alan_nc]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By Alan_nc
Just for clarification:

I did bring a BSA 2 stroke to the TSMR one year. There are pictures of Lannis riding it floating around somewhere.

Generally highly Photoshopped pictures I might add ... I can't normally ride a Bantam or any other motorcycle up the wall of a McDonalds and park it on the roof ....

Two strokes are the food I grew up on. And one of my favorite bikes of all was my 1976 Suzuki GT-750 Watercooled triple.

There may be a bit of rose-colored in my 40-year-old reminisces, but I remember it as being a VERY nice, very capable bike. Almost NO maintenance to do. Service the chain, check the tires, put gas in it, top up the oil injection tank every month or so, and that's it. No oil to change, and when I adjusted the oil injection to spec, it burned about one quart every 1200 miles. That's using less oil than a 4-stroke where you have to throw away 3 quarts of oil every 2- or 3,000 miles when you change it.

No valves to adjust, no points to adjust, the spark plugs lasted forever. It was torquey in town, quick to accelerate, and smooth and relaxed on the highway, like riding a big Evinrude outboard motor down the road.

It had 60,000 miles on it when I got it, and 100,000 when I traded it on a BMW. The original owner was a fireman in Virginia who worked 7-day-on, 7-day-off 24-hour shifts at the firehouse. He was single, and when he got off of his week's shift, he'd head to Florida on his bike, spend the week doing whatever a young fireman does on a Florida beach full of scantily clad females, then ride back to Richmond. You can put a lot of miles on a bike that way!

Anyway, I'm a defender of two strokes and may get another some day, so there.

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#596684 - 04/26/15 8:05 am Re: roll call [Re: Mr Mike]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Mr Mike

I am always leery of the B50 with all the electrical stuff crammed in that box. If I have an electrical problem, I'm cooked.
Mr Mike

Mike -

The B50 electric wiring is about as simple as they come. With your methodical and patient approach to bike fettling, a handful of proper crimp connectors, a ratcheting crimping tool, some shrink tubing, wire from British Wiring, a heat gun, and a couple days, you could make up an absolutely bulletproof wiring harness for that bike that you would know front to back and would never be able to fox you again ....

Lannis

#596703 - 04/26/15 11:05 am Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
No Name Man Online content
Life member
No Name Man  Online Content

Life member

SE Ohio
Well, to me that B50 electric box was one of those "seemed like a good idea at the time" things. Still a bad idea no matter how good yer harness is. Mine is all moved now, thanks to Mr Roe's skills.

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
Too much moderation is bad for you.

#596704 - 04/26/15 11:34 am Re: roll call [Re: Lannis]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
Originally Posted By Lannis
Mr Mike

Mr Mike

Mike -

The B50 electric wiring is about as simple as they come. With your methodical and patient approach to bike fettling, a handful of proper crimp connectors, a ratcheting crimping tool, some shrink tubing, wire from British Wiring, a heat gun, and a couple days, you could make up an absolutely bulletproof wiring harness for that bike that you would know front to back and would never be able to fox you again ....

Lannis

Lannis,
You are exactly right! Every winter I say I am going to get to it and before I know it is spring. I even have a simplified wiring diagram and have gutted the kill switch, turn signals and added a simple dipper and horn. I wish the thing would quit for electrical reasons so I'd have to get on to it. The dang thing even starts with a dead battery off the alternator. Even though this "electrical box" has been troublefree, it is a dumb idea. It takes 45 minutes just to get inside it.
Mr Mike

#596709 - 04/26/15 12:12 pm Re: roll call [Re: No Name Man]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Originally Posted By No Name Man
<snip> Mine is all moved now, thanks to Mr Roe's skills.

yea AND.....I'm still buzzing from it bigt I had a hoot on your B50 Bill....hope there is some way wink I can get mine up there this year. There is a plan.

I agree that the box isn't user friendly. There is a LOT of extra room for everything and it's not hard to do but I understand Mr Mike's situation 100%. It's hard for me to go into something when it's still working....can of worms kinda thing.

You fellows take care.....oh, add Dot and AJS to the list AND if your 4 stroke is buring oil...it's your fault. Next time you're at Mid-o....beg or borrow a trials bike and join in on the fun. When your in the creek gully waiting to enter a section and there's 5-6 two strokes in front of you reving their oil burners...THEN tell me how nice they are. smile

Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 04/26/15 12:14 pm.
#596723 - 04/26/15 1:10 pm Re: roll call [Re: John Blue]  
Alan_nc Online content
Alan_nc  Online Content

Greensboro, NC
Gordon,

Well as mentioned on 4 strokes.....a well tuned 2 stroke (with modern 2 stroke oil mixed properly) should not show any blue smoke.

....but there is always someone who is using whatever the 2 stroke oil that smells like perfume.

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
#596731 - 04/26/15 2:08 pm Re: roll call [Re: Alan_nc]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By Alan_nc
Gordon,

....but there is always someone who is using whatever the 2 stroke oil that smells like perfume.

Castor bean oil!

Among the top 3 perfumes that men love, along with Hoppe's #9 powder solvent and WD-40 ....

Lannis

#596775 - 04/26/15 7:42 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Richrd Online content
Richrd  Online Content

Springfield Nebraska
wd don't do nuthin for me. I can think of couple much better.

Rich (member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
#596799 - 04/26/15 11:04 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
I wasn't really making fun of two strokes, I had a Yammie twin jet 100 and a Suzuki GT500 once upon a time. It's the stretching the powerband and elastic master link that made my brain hurt crazy Jokes like that make it had for me to sell muffler bearings and blinker fluid with a straight face, especially since diesel exhaust fluid is a real thing now.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
#596827 - 04/27/15 7:56 am Re: roll call [Re: MikeG]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
<snip> Yammie twin jet 100 <snip>

That was the first motorcycle I drove. James S Rickards High School in Tallahasses, Florida 1966? My friend's brand new twin jet in red....pretty little bike. After a few instructions he let me drive off.....half way through the school's parking lot, the prettest girl in the school stopped me and asked for a ride. What's a boy (I was only 15) to do???? "SURE, HOP ON!!" Off we went.....left the school property and down the road. Man oh man I was in heaven, first time driving a motorcycle and the prettest girl in the school with her arms around me....I was hooked!

Pokey

#596840 - 04/27/15 9:50 am Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Back then we didn't think about things like:

1) What if I dump this bike that doesn't belong to me on a public road with no license and someone's daughter on the back?

2) What if the girl's Dad sees her going down the road without permission on the back of a murdercycle driven by some perverted little PUNK who's not going to survive to get back out of the school lot once I'm done with him?

Thinking with the wrong head all the time, that was us!

Lannis

#596842 - 04/27/15 10:07 am Re: roll call [Re: John Blue]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
<snip> Yammie twin jet 100 <snip>

That was the first motorcycle I drove. James S Rickards High School in Tallahasses, Florida 1966? My friend's brand new twin jet in red....pretty little bike. After a few instructions he let me drive off.....half way through the school's parking lot, the prettest girl in the school stopped me and asked for a ride. What's a boy (I was only 15) to do???? "SURE, HOP ON!!" Off we went.....left the school property and down the road. Man oh man I was in heaven, first time driving a motorcycle and the prettest girl in the school with her arms around me....I was hooked!

Pokey

On the girl, the bike, or both??

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
#596848 - 04/27/15 10:20 am Re: roll call [Re: MikeG]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
On the girl, the bike, or both??

She was a senior...never spoke to me before the ride and didn't after either. I could get a smile out of her if we passed in the hall....and for a 15 year old...that was good enough. We were gone for half an hour and she never let go... smile and I'll never forget it.

I was hooked on motorcycles (really liked girls too)and just HAD to have one.(of both) I jumped on any and all I could....but wouldn't have my own for three more years. A 1965 BSA B40E Enduro Star......and a new wife and mother of my oldest.

Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 04/27/15 10:21 am.
#596934 - 04/27/15 9:43 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
DPO Offline
BritBike Forum member
DPO  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Douglasville (Atlanta) Georgia
My plans are finally solidified, I met "Ken" of West Georgia British motorcycles (If I recall right) about 2 months ago, and have been hanging with him on some weekends. He is a pretty good ol' coot, and has his own shop out in Bremen, Georgia. We will be trailering up the '72 and his Hinkley T-100 from West Georgia. Room reserved, ETA Friday afternoon/early evening. Black GMC S-15 pulling a trailer.
Haven't heard from Semper Gumby, and Greg says he's not gonna make it this year...See ya'll soon!

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back, you've highsided!"

1971 Triumph T120
2005 Triumph "America"
1976 BMW R90/6
#596988 - 04/28/15 6:40 am Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Howard Inough Offline
BritBike Forum member
Howard Inough  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kensington, New Hampshire, USA
Cool Deep! We'll look for ya!!!

#596990 - 04/28/15 6:53 am Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Ob1quixote Online content
BritBike Forum member
Ob1quixote  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Charleston SC
As usual, the TSMR date conflicts for me.
While you guys think you are enjoying the woods, I will be!

Steep downhill, red clay, wetted by a shower the night before!

Y'all be safe out there!

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
#597005 - 04/28/15 10:32 am Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
Thunderbutt Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thunderbutt  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Fl., U.S.A.
Ob1- Ah yes, playing in the dirt! Brings back memories of my youth, bent rims, worn out shocks, face plants over the handle bars, dislocated collar bone, twisted body appendages along with various other contusions, abrasions and lacerations!

thanks for posting

Jerry

#597042 - 04/28/15 5:58 pm Re: roll call [Re: bill50cal]  
georgesmith Offline
BritBike Forum member
georgesmith  Offline
BritBike Forum member

north carolina
I've not been since the Snake bit me on my Royal Enfield a couple of years ago, but I plan to attend this year with my son. I'm determined NOT to hitch a ride in thrash wagon this year. We'll be arriving sometime during the day on Friday. Really looking forward to it.
George

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.806s Queries: 15 (0.014s) Memory: 1.0098 MB (Peak: 1.3712 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-09-20 18:22:53 UTC