BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Excalibur
Excalibur
New Zealand
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
210 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,756 guests, and 545 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 99
Stuart 88
NickL 63
Popular Topics(Views)
436,514 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,263
Posts632,035
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#589975 - 03/13/15 7:12 am Emgo fuel tanks  
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Running from demons in WNY
My recently finished 70 T120/750 just started seeping fuel after being filled with fuel for a week weeks. It's leaking at the rear above the mounting plate so the mount needs to be removed and so on.
The tank interior now looks nastier that before. No, I don't use E10 fuel.....I can do extensive metal repair but looking at options also...
Sealers are something I don't want to get into to due to all the complaints.
I see that several well known Triumph vendors sell the slimline replacement tanks. These are not the often complained about made in India tanks. They are Emgo brand probably made in Taiwan ? Not cheap at about 350 bucks...
Anyone have actual experience with Emgo tanks?

650 Triumph modified production LSR record holder 133.1 MPH... Twin 650 engine Triumph LSR that goes sorta fast...
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#590020 - 03/13/15 1:53 pm Re: Emgo fuel tanks [Re: Hillbilly bike]  
R Moulding Online content
BritBike Forum member
R Moulding  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

I have one on my Bonnie project. They have good and bad points.

On the plus side the front mounts are solid threaded plugs welded into the tank, as opposed to the hollow tubes notched and welded to the outside.

The filler necks are also not crimped in the same way as original. Although not sure quite how they are attached.

They are also made from a thicker gauge steels and plenty heavy!

Shape wise they are taller, longer and wider. This can cause problems with handlebar mounts and means that a specific chrome strip is supplied.

Emgo tank is on the far right.

The metal work and welds are all quite nice. The tanks seam to have been stamped rather than hammered and I used 4 coats of high build primer to straighten out the stretch marks. About the same as I use on an original Slimline.

Rod

#590034 - 03/13/15 3:32 pm Re: Emgo fuel tanks [Re: R Moulding]  
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Running from demons in WNY
Nice detailed report, thanks.......I decided to repair the leak on the existing tank ...

650 Triumph modified production LSR record holder 133.1 MPH... Twin 650 engine Triumph LSR that goes sorta fast...
#590109 - 03/13/15 11:41 pm Re: Emgo fuel tanks [Re: Hillbilly bike]  
KC in S.B. Online content
BritBike Forum member
KC in S.B.  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Santa Barbara, California
Yep, I got one of the Emgo tanks when they were 1st announced, and it is a good tank. If the later ones hold true to this one, I'd certainly do it again. I few comments. Not surprisiing, but noted, ALL the edges and especially the bottom to side welded seams were sharp, and had bits of rod and BBs stuck in. A file and some time took care of it nicely. besides looks, Paint tends to run thin on a sharp edge. After a good cleaning with thinner or PrepSol, the entire surface needs to be sanded. The metal is very thick, and noticable heavier. There were nicks and scratches that need filler, but that goes with anything. The filler neck is great! It is welded full circle from the bottom, so much better than OEM crimped seam. Be aware that the OEM trim strim and possibly the badges won't fit. The tank is slightly longer (3/4"?), but more of an issue is it is TALLER. you will find that out after you try to mount the tank and turn the bars lock to lock. If I had known better, I would have compensated for that before paint. The only way I could get it on and clear the bars, was to eliminate the top rubber in the front mounts. Kind of hokey, but no other choice. With a bare tank, I was sure you could trim some metal off of the forward tank mounts. As mentioned, they are solid steel "pegs" and have more material than OEM, and I looked at that option. It was likely possible to get enough clearance that way,.... but not when painted. The top clamp pinch bolt is the problem area. The rear mount tab is welded like Triumph should have done them, all around. After looking at the replacement badges, I did end up using the OEMs this time. The replacements needed paint, but are good quality. Again, make that choice before paint, as you might find yourself wanting to smack them once to get the fit right. Over all, it is a good tank in my opinion.

Last edited by KC in S.B.; 03/13/15 11:49 pm.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 2 '56 Chevys

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.502s Queries: 15 (0.073s) Memory: 0.8162 MB (Peak: 0.9541 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 15:25:57 UTC