BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Soup Dragon
Soup Dragon
South Cotswolds, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
203 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,761 guests, and 538 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 99
Stuart 88
NickL 63
Popular Topics(Views)
436,437 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,263
Posts632,026
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#58743 - 01/02/08 8:04 pm Bike bench  
Gunk Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gunk  Offline
BritBike Forum member

43.34 (4320') | -79.81 (-794...
Many many thanks to Eurospares.com for their plans for a plywood bike bench.
Here's the result (with the usual Gunkification, I just thought it would be better built upside down. I can change it later if I want)

"he who laughs fast, laughs first"~Gunk
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#58744 - 01/02/08 9:01 pm Re: Bike bench  
Rick Willmore Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rick Willmore  Offline
BritBike Forum member

New Zealand
Stand looks good Gunk. After years of grovelling about at ground level a proper bike stand is luxury.
I drew up and built mine out of galv steel box section (because thats what I had) The ramp locates with a couple of pins and then slides in underneath and gets used as a shelf. Its heavy but its not going anywhere.
If anyones interested I'm happy to send them a set of plans in .pdf format

cheers
Rick
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1373/1427681714_0fe58cd494.jpg?v=0[/img]
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1045/1426796789_69e9f36709.jpg?v=0[/img]
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1192/1426808683_d39f1d7225.jpg?v=0[/img]

'71 BSA Firebird/Lightning
'03 BMW R1150R Rockster
'76 Montesa 348 'Malcolm Rathmell' Cota
#58745 - 01/02/08 9:17 pm Re: Bike bench  
Bob S Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bob S  Offline
BritBike Forum member

, Lower -Lower michigan
gunk----what do you do start the bike up a ramp, then as it goes up to its positioning, the box drops down in the front.i finally went and got a bench from harbor freight, it works better than i expected.

b scharp smile

Bob S
Street Rods, Kustom Kars,A BSA,Cushmans,H.Shadow ACE, Now a 2004 triumph america . "More than enough!!!!
#58746 - 01/03/08 1:11 am Re: Bike bench  
Gunk Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gunk  Offline
BritBike Forum member

The free end is hinged, and it kicks out to allow the end to fall, while serving as a ramp for the first six inches.
The whole rest of the box tips up so the angled cut lays flush on the floor, the big end of the box in the air.
Contrary to my concerns, the big end of the box actually needs MORE weight to help push it down when the bike rolls up. I'm hoping a wheel catcher (can't remember the right name now) will add the necessary weight.
With the original design they said they could store tools in the base. In my experience the only time I would need the tools stored there would be when a half dis-assembled bike was on top.
As it is, it is very light and I think I'll stand it on end against the wall when not in use.

#58747 - 01/03/08 1:13 am Re: Bike bench  
Gunk Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gunk  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Rick, your stand is gorgeous. I would have gone that way if my original plans had worked out. I bought the mig welder, but I have not yet learned to use it.

Nice work.

Gunk

#58748 - 01/03/08 2:10 am Re: Bike bench  
Damon Fever Offline
Life member
Damon Fever  Offline
Life member

Raleigh NC
I must say I like both of your stands, especially Rick Willmore's. Some folks may be interested in this one I knocked up; it employs a cheap ATV lift to raise it up:
http://home.pipeline.com/~twotyred/StandDown.jpg
http://home.pipeline.com/~twotyred/Stand.jpg
http://home.pipeline.com/~twotyred/StandUp.jpg
http://home.pipeline.com/~twotyred/StandHinge.jpg
http://home.pipeline.com/~twotyred/StandStrap.jpg
Cheers
Rick F

#58749 - 01/03/08 2:16 am Re: Bike bench  
Bob S Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bob S  Offline
BritBike Forum member

, Lower -Lower michigan
i built a bench, with 4x4 at the corners then 3/4 plywwod. for a bottom shelf.and 3/4 for the top with a nice soft carpet to sit the bike on, it worked alright, til i got the bsa almost done then i decided i better get bike off the bench. my oldest son reminded me of that
i says yeah!! son i think your ahead of me in the right direction.
well whe push come to shove i was fixing , getting the bugs out,up and down that new table i went; darn near dropped it on my 32 ford,finally i got used to it. $269.00 on sale one of my better choices.
B SCHARP By now I have this great HEAVY DUTY table. I have to move around,,,YA NEVER KNOW I might use it for something some day :rolleyes: confused smile day :rolleyes: confused

Bob S
Street Rods, Kustom Kars,A BSA,Cushmans,H.Shadow ACE, Now a 2004 triumph america . "More than enough!!!!
#58750 - 01/18/08 1:40 am Re: Bike bench  
stevodude Offline
BritBike Forum
stevodude  Offline
BritBike Forum

Mackay, Australia
Wow what a simple idea, but you would want to make sure you get it on the ramp on first go, other wise you might toppel over...

I am going to weld up my own stand/table, and did a 3d mockup yesterday, almost complete, about %80. To be used with a cheapo 1000kg hydraulic car jack.

I see heaps of people on eBay and online selling plans, And no I didn't steal anyones plans, but if my design works, I'd be happy to give to anyone if they want to build it them selves.

#58751 - 01/18/08 2:21 am Re: Bike bench  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC

#58752 - 01/18/08 2:28 am Re: Bike bench  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
I was trying to load a picture for the first time so bear with me. Here's my $20 homemade bike lift that raises the bike up from the incline to about 24". I put stands under the lifting rod and 4x4 posts in the rear to stabilize it. I can kick start it and run the bike on the lift. Used a cheap floor jack to elevate.

Mr Mike

#58753 - 01/18/08 2:48 am Re: Bike bench  
stevodude Offline
BritBike Forum
stevodude  Offline
BritBike Forum

Mackay, Australia
nicely done, so it does go horizontal? how do you lift the rear if the jack goes under the foward section?

Keep em comming, a thread on DIY bike lifts is a keeper! ... :-)

I like Mr Mikes best so far in usage :-).

I want to build the design I'm doing but I think it will take up too much of my time to do, but wipping something out of some 4x2's with a couple of rods and a floor jack might just be a goer, ie something I can build in a morning.

#58754 - 01/18/08 4:42 am Re: Bike bench  
stevodude Offline
BritBike Forum
stevodude  Offline
BritBike Forum

Mackay, Australia
OK, I've looked at my steel angle frame, and now after looking at those wood ones gives me inspiration.

I still like the idea of using a floor jack, cause I want to lift to various hights for different jobs on the bike.

Heres Stevo's lift Mk2 wood style hehehe.
Haven't worked out a 'lock into position' yet, or finished some of the bracing, more of a concept before building.

#58755 - 01/18/08 6:31 am Re: Bike bench  
Tiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Melbourne Australia
Good design Stevo, I like the detachable section under the rear wheel, bugger of a job to get the wheel out of many bikes without that or something similar.
I bought an air/hydraulic Chicom thing a couple of yrs back, best money I have spent in a while.

1969 TR6R
7.62 x 51 is not a maths puzzle.
#58756 - 01/18/08 10:35 am Re: Bike bench  
stevodude Offline
BritBike Forum
stevodude  Offline
BritBike Forum

Mackay, Australia
thanks, whipped it up today.
Actually modified it a little, where the removable rear is also the ramp (just for that little incline of 198mm ( as I will be using 45x90 x 2 + 18mm plywood, or two-be-fours in the old scale :-) )
and once bike on table, ramp lifts and locks in flat, then jack it up.

But I love to see other people's incarnation of DIY bike table lifts, as doing up a bike, is a lot like DIY anything really.

I've also (almost completed) restoring my 1930's 'queenslander' house (no building experience before), and also diy speaker designs/enclosures, and into electronics, also bike resto's are part of the same skill in my eye, but some are better than others, as I go for funtionality over form. Which sometimes leads to slightly dodgy lookin bikes, speakers, houses, cars... hehehe but they all work!...

#58757 - 01/18/08 12:39 pm Re: Bike bench  
Ob1quixote Online content
BritBike Forum member
Ob1quixote  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Charleston SC
I have a similar "see-saw" stand under construction. All steel construction, hinged/pinned legs, slide in/pin tie down spreaders. Will fold up and hang on the wall when not in use.

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
#58758 - 01/18/08 5:17 pm Re: Bike bench  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
My design goes from ramp to a level 24 inch height, by slightly different pivot points on the arms. The jack will lift an A65 up from the front bar. Of couse I stabilize it with legs at the rear once it is up. They are notched and just slip in place. I have outriggers with tiedowns at front. If I have to change a rear wheel I have a small scissors jack that lifts the back wheel up. If I want to change a front wheel, I have tiedowns at the rear and jack up the front with the scissors jack. i always have a tiedown on wither the fron or back even if I have a center stand. That's for stability and safety. I have been using it for about 5 years now and will suggest some changes would make if I was starting all over. When not in use (almost never), I can hang it on the wall where it doesn't take too much space

I have some sketches I made with dimensions somewhere around here if anyone is interested.

Mr Mike

#58759 - 01/18/08 5:50 pm Re: Bike bench  
BruceinT.O. Offline
BritBike Forum member
BruceinT.O.  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Toronto, Canada
Here is my lift, the design acquired at considerable cost from the Canadian Space Agency (Yes, we have one).

Bruce

1968 Triumph Trophy
#58760 - 01/21/08 12:54 am Re: Bike bench  
Gerry /Toronto Offline
BritBike Forum
Gerry /Toronto  Offline
BritBike Forum

Toronto
i guess those fold up chairs are for the audience you get everytime you put your bike up!!! bigt

Gerry

#58761 - 01/21/08 1:30 am Re: Bike bench  
Ob1quixote Online content
BritBike Forum member
Ob1quixote  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Charleston SC
Mr Mike, yours sounds like my 1/2 done one!

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
#58762 - 01/21/08 10:05 am Re: Bike bench  
stevodude Offline
BritBike Forum
stevodude  Offline
BritBike Forum

Mackay, Australia
Almost completed the wood lift today, took me about 4hrs so far thismorning, and thats looking after my 1yr old at the same time :-) , probably another 2 for the top and adjustements, but so far it looks like it will work.
Have modified it a bit ( base plate for hydrolic to push against I didn't have in drawing.)

see pickies, should be finished some time on wednesday.

Note: a playpen is a requirement when working with power tools and babies :-)

Oh and total cost:
8 x 120mm x 12mm bolts/nuts/washers $9.50, hardwood:? had plenty lying around $0, roof screws for general holding together : had plenty lying around $0. Wooded slats for base plate, and probably the top: Old slat bed I demolished $0

total cost: probably 6hrs and 10 buks...

#58763 - 01/21/08 1:30 pm Re: Bike bench  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
Steve,
Very similar to mine. I worked on the geometry so it went from ramp to a level work bench. It involves simply changing the pivot points slightly. You have a place for the jack to roll which is important. There is a lot of force on the point where the jack lifts. That's why I used an old steel bar from a set of weights I had laying around and you must position it so that you can get it under the lift point when the lift is lowered and the jack has enough lift to fully raise. You will need jackstands to stabilize once it is raised.
I can't take credit for this design. I saw a picture of it and just fighured out the geometry using a few sticks of small lumber and some screws. It was a fun project especially when I put my bike up for the first time. I am looking for my sketches as I write this.
Mr Mike

#58764 - 01/22/08 12:23 am Re: Bike bench  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
When 'building' a bike, which often times takes many months (years?) I strongly suggest you fab a 'building stand' like I've done. The bike's frame is firmly supported with both front and rear wheels clear and unsupported. The stand's smallish 'foot print' and having casters allows the project bike to be pushed aside in even the smallist shops.

Some years ago one of my neighbors asked if I wanted the steel from his long side porch railing he was tearing out... 'Ding', I then remembered seeing pictures of Fred Walmsly's (the well known UK Manx and G50 race bike builder) building stands and ....
So using the discarded 3/4" square bar stock from my neighbor I built two of these fully adjustable stands. The supports and hold down hooks are made from 'all thread' with the appropriate fittings. You can see from the photos how these fittings are fully adjustable in the slotted the

I currently have our latest GM SW engine powered short tracker up one stand and couldn't/wouldn't think about not using one of these stands for such projects. For years I had been using a smallish wooden crate with the bike frame clamped down with 'U' bolts which 'kinda worked'.

I loaned GStarRon one of the stands when he was building up his GS Manx racer.
BTW Ron's feverishly working on the bike getting it ready for Daytona next month.

[img]http://[/img]

dave - NV
#58765 - 01/22/08 4:02 am Re: Bike bench  
stevodude Offline
BritBike Forum
stevodude  Offline
BritBike Forum

Mackay, Australia
thats a really good idea, I like it.

I only did mine as a concept, as my 1yr old can
s lift the BSA off the ground yet...

so my method works for me where I don't need any help to put it on the lift.

and I have buckets of space. If I was limited space wise then that is a good option, only requires additional people to place a full bike on it. or use a block/tackle to get it on/off f it's a whole bike.

#58766 - 01/22/08 12:36 pm Re: Bike bench  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
My lift provides a nice working platform and I keep a bike on it most of the time. My issue is I cannot muscle a 420 lb bike on to most lifts that have any stability and I rarely if ever have an assistant. I can however push it up the ramp into the shop (my shop is elevated as I live right next to the tidal waters). Once in the shop I walk it up the bike lift ramp, attach the tied downs, raise it up to 24 inches and lower it to my stands. It is so stable I can start my B50 and tune it while it is running on tht stand. I'll take some pics and practise my posting.
Mr Mike

#58767 - 01/24/08 11:18 pm Re: Bike bench  
stevodude Offline
BritBike Forum
stevodude  Offline
BritBike Forum

Mackay, Australia
lift in action.

Just have to make a small frame stand so I can get both wheels off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.509s Queries: 15 (0.014s) Memory: 0.9951 MB (Peak: 1.3336 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 13:40:41 UTC