BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
tombeau
tombeau
Finland
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
35 registered members (998John), 317 guests, and 393 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Biscuits, DT 150, DamienE, vietnammotorbike, Lennart Liljedah
10291 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 95
Lannis 66
Mori55 65
Popular Topics(Views)
638,130 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,397
Posts654,377
Members10,291
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Kickstarting with a new knee [Re: edunham] #585046
02/11/15 3:45 pm
02/11/15 3:45 pm
upstate ny
G
George Elston Offline
BritBike Forum member
George Elston  Offline
BritBike Forum member
G
upstate ny
Ed
We talked about this a little at York. I'm a left leg kicker too. Only bad is if I stall at a light I have to push to the side and dismount. I have never met anyone who regretted knee replacement despite some having initial discomfort.
You are never gonna win the best looking leg contest anyway grin so might as well get on with it. I will say though that you look quite distinguished with a cane.

57 Woodsman
64 Interceptor
58 Trailblazer
59 Constellation
64 500 Sport twin
61 Hornet

2001 W650
1966 W1
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Kickstarting with a new knee [Re: edunham] #585100
02/11/15 7:49 pm
02/11/15 7:49 pm
Ewing. NJ
E
edunham Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
E
Ewing. NJ
I had a breakthrough last week. All of a sudden my knee started working better one afternoon. So much so, that a few days later I dragged my B50 project off the bench to see if I could start it. Not the "Milwaukee Crippler," but I figured it would be a pretty good test. I had never started this bike before, and it had a fresh top end job (Thanks out to Gordon who sold me the motor). Well it was cold outside, the bike was recalcitrant and took a WHOLE mess of kicks, but it started and ran pretty good AND MY KNEE WAS FINE!!! A smidge tight that night, but thats all. My PT says surgical recovery is like that sometimes- all of a sudden everything is ok. One thing I hadn't mentioned is that my other leg was crushed 40 years ago (I have been frequently told by medical personnel that they have never seen a leg that bad still on the body!), so that knee is a mess too. I have plenty of strength in both legs (although less than in years past), but strength will only make up for so much. I don't know if the current state will last, I am hoping so. I am keeping the cane, I need anything that makes me look distinguished (thanks George), people hold doors for me when they see it and it comes in handy as a cudgel!

Ed from NJ

Re: Kickstarting with a new knee [Re: edunham] #585111
02/11/15 8:45 pm
02/11/15 8:45 pm
Stone Creek OH USA
R
Rich B Online happy

BritBike Forum member
Rich B  Online Happy

BritBike Forum member
R
Stone Creek OH USA
Ed

I think you should just eliminate one kick start only bike. Bring that black and gold hard starting bike to VMD, give it to me, I will give you a couple of Lake Erie Monsters in return. I will take it home and keep it away from your bad knee. Each year, I will bring it to VMD and let you sit on it and make "vroom, vroom" noises.

Sounds like a plan to me. laughing beerchug

Life is too short to drink cheap, bad beer.
Re: Kickstarting with a new knee [Re: edunham] #585170
02/12/15 7:43 am
02/12/15 7:43 am
BrisVegas, Oz
441DailyRide Offline
BritBike Forum member
441DailyRide  Offline
BritBike Forum member
BrisVegas, Oz
While i agree with the recent comments about technique rather than pure muscle being needed to start a bike, please allow me to explain my understanding.
Muscle strength is very important to knee stability. original knees aswell as replacements will perform better if muscle around the knee is strengthened.
When i first damaged my right knee i was encouraged to have the joint fused as i was told i would never again walk unaided.
As i could not bend the knee very much after months in plaster i took up cycling & i only used my right leg on the down strokes & removed it from the pedal on that sides up stroke.
I quickly noticed an improvement & after a while the amount of bend improved enough to allow full rotation with the saddle up high. After my knee replacement i still walked with a limp after phsyio so i again took up cycling & started with the saddle high.By lowering the saddle in small increments i now walk alot better & for the first time since the accident i can ride a bike with rearsets.
Perseverance & working the joint (although very painfull at the start) is IMO the key to a successful joint replacement.

67 BSA B44
04 DUCATI ST3
71 DUCATI 350
75 CONDOR 350 (made by Ducati for Swiss Army)
Re: Kickstarting with a new knee [Re: edunham] #585174
02/12/15 8:44 am
02/12/15 8:44 am
NL
G
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member
G
NL
Quote:
Muscle strength is very important to knee stability

What you mention corresponds with my low back hernia experience.
In the period after the operation I had to wear a corset. After I had learned to walk upright again, the fisiotherapist made me do excercizes to gradually
(gradually with capitals) increase the strength in the muscles by gradually increasing the loads I had to push away in his torture dungeon.
Only then, with sufficient muscle power I was allowed to ditch the corset. The muscles had to stabilize the backbone.
And it was difficult. Like a drug, the corset was addictive.
I took it with me to work. Behind the desk it was on a coat hanger. In the factory between machines and what have you I used it. That was some months. Maybe two or three...

But, as mentioned earlier, he also showed me how to use as little force possible to push the Hinkley Trophy on the center stand and how to kick start the BSA.
The center stand was a change of technique, the kick start was a confirmation I did a correct kick, in his opinion.

Ger B

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership