BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Dick1969
Dick1969
The Netherlands
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
227 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,780 guests, and 516 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst
9957 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 189
koan58 100
Stuart 86
NickL 71
Popular Topics(Views)
437,557 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,279
Posts632,262
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#564629 - 09/23/14 4:13 pm Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe?  
Barb Online content
Barb  Online Content

Western Washington State (USA)
Hi Guys,

I'm just testing the waters here, OK? In the past we (various people) have put together calendars for the site. Sometimes we broke even, sometimes we even made a little money for the site; however, the labor was prodigious, and *everyone* puts out a calendar.

So, given that the major interest is in the bikes shown, why bother with the calendar part? Hmmmm?

"Why, Barb, whatever do you mean?", you might well ask. Easy: why not take a lesson from our own bikes? Simple, easy, really nice and user-friendly, just like a good Brit Bike. ----->

Why not do a coffee-table book of high quality, with outstanding pics, printed on really good stock, featuring some of the bikes owned by --well-- us! We could sell it on the site, it wouldn't expire after a year, and it would make a fantastic present for anyone who loves bikes, meaning that we might sell enough to make it worthwhile. Also we wouldn't have to compete with every two-bit dealer who puts out a calendar.

I'm not talking about a slap-dash, stapled or even perfect-bound booklet, I'm talking about large format, first-rate, hard-bound presentation-grade books....one's that would sell for at least $50.00 each, retail.

So, first off, Morgan, what do you think about this? Assuming that Morgan likes the idea, who wants to be in on the project? My initial idea would be to design a cover, have a proof made, and get commitments to purchase---that would be to cover the production costs. If there is any interest at all, I will get some production estimates for a limited run, perhaps numbered, as collector's items. I can even arrange to have each purchaser's name stamped in gold or silver on the cover.

So. I'm just throwing this out there to see if anyone is interested. Comments, posts questioning my sanity, ideas---post 'em here and let's talk about it.

OK, Guys.....fire away. Tell me why it can't be done, and I'll see if I can do my best Barb Dance around any objections.... bigt

Barb (Three MustGetBeers)
"Midnight girl in a sunset town.."

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
Pip the Triumph (I have "Great Expectations!")
Jaelith the '77 XS650/chair
The unnamed '79 XS650 with...potential
Millie the R80 BMW--she's "Thoroughly Modern"
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#566926 - 10/09/14 4:44 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Barb]  
wadeschields Online content
BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA
Ive got photographs smirk

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
#566933 - 10/09/14 5:28 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Barb]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
I don't know how I missed this but I'd be down for one

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
#568531 - 10/20/14 11:11 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Barb]  
Gordo in Comox Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gordo in Comox  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Comox BC Canada
Barb: Great idea for sure. Put me down for a couple! (of course you are not sane, you're a Biker)

Gordo

Without frequent roadside repairs there is no fun in riding!
#568831 - 10/23/14 1:26 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Barb]  
Tridentman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
Yes--I would probably go for one of those.

#568837 - 10/23/14 2:46 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Barb]  
Boomer Online content
BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
I'm interested. Question though, are you talking about members pictures of members bikes? If otherwise there may be copyright issues to deal with. Maybe Wade could enlighten us in that area.

Bill B...

Boomer
#569062 - 10/25/14 7:41 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Boomer]  
Barb Online content
Barb  Online Content

Hi Guys,

Yes, what I envision is member's bikes, either professionally photographed or not, just so the quality is top-notch. What got me thinking about this was thumbing through a coffee-table book I've got on the Hurricane fighter in WWII. It is a beauty of a book, large format, many pictures---it just sort of sucks you right into the subject.

So why not one for "Britbike" Brit bikes? The only factor limiting it is, of course, numbers. I've seen enough of the bikes you guys build or find to know we can easily fill a book. However, we would have to sell a certain number to pay for the thing. Right now I'm waiting for a couple of bids to come back on printing, and then I can be more specific in terms of cost.

Meanwhile, I need you guys who have expressed an interest to do me a favor, OK? Talk to the guys you know on the site, and see how they feel about it. If they have really amazing bikes--Dave Kath and Mike Carter come to mind--or something unusual, like Gordon's B44 outfit, ask them to post here or contact me. We will need to fill it with really great photographs from around the world, and then sell a bunch of them!

I should have pricing information next week and I will post here.

Thanks for posting, Guys. It keeps me pumped up enough to keep dreaming up these strange ideas...... bigt

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
#569110 - 10/26/14 8:40 am Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Barb]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
I'd be happy to donate HUNDREDS of good/very good quality photos of all the various Britbikes I've owned / built. I can supply photos of project stages as well (if you like).

And put me down for 1 copy.

(I suggest a thread mention in the Rod & Tappet to increase exposure to the idea)

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#569153 - 10/26/14 3:09 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: GrandPaul]  
Barb Online content
Barb  Online Content

Hi Guys,

Thanks, Grandpaul! I've been thinking of posting up on the R&T, but I wanted to wait until I had a firm price ready, and a minimum quantity also.

The nice thing about this as compared to a calendar is that there is no time limit. I envision a product that will be sought after for years....at least, that's my hope.

Anyway, one step at a time. First I'll get the cost. Next, some serious in-Site informational advertising, and collecting of photographs. From there it is easy; I've done it before, I can do it again. Then we have to sell a bunch of these puppies, and contribute enough $$ to the site to make a difference.

So for now, onward into the fog........

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
#569154 - 10/26/14 3:12 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Barb]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
Barb, if you get enough interest I'd be happy to pay in advance

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
#569334 - 10/27/14 7:49 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Barb]  
No Name Man Online content
Life member
No Name Man  Online Content

Life member

SE Ohio
I am behind this idea. I think that's what I mean.

Bill E

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
Too much moderation is bad for you.

#569337 - 10/27/14 8:26 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: No Name Man]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Yep....I think this one is a good idea and would support it 100%.

Gordon in NC (aka Pokey)

#569487 - 10/28/14 6:45 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Barb Online content
Barb  Online Content

Hey, Gordon!

I appreciate it! Oh, and why aren't you out on a BSA single eating up miles at 50 mph? (Ouch! Gimme a break---I was JOKING) Everyone knows you can squeeze 60 mph from a good B50..... beerchug

Seriously, I do appreciate it. The more guys who will talk to others about it, the better shot we have of pulling it off. And by "pulling it off" I mean we can get together a book that will still make a great present four or five years down the road, and be a nice donation to the site.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner..... bigt

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
#570281 - 11/03/14 10:43 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Barb]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

www.instantpublisher.com

www.amazon.com

Between those two, anything is possible.

#574297 - 11/28/14 6:46 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: GrandPaul]  
HawaiianTiger Online content
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
I may not be able to cough up 50$ for a coffee table book. let me score a coffee table first...

But I can give some free advice for a consideration on the final cost.....Just trying to work an angle here...

I have a few of the books you're talking about(maybe ALL of them) and I have a few criticisms about them that you might be interested in.

First, many of the bikes in these books have little or no description of what they are, and many time what descriptions there are have gross errors in them. That's real bad.

Many of us buy these books to drool over bikes we envision owning someday and what we're looking for is detail detail detail.

Soooo....I recommend using bikes from the owners here. There are plenty of great bikes owned by the members here, with detailed descriptions of what they are. I'd leave out owner's names just because. Don't limit it to pristine patina bikes or over-restored trailer queens. Use daily riders too. Let's see how they hold up to steady use.

Get the pictures critiqued by the knowledge bank on this forum so that errors can be found and eliminated.

Just a suggestion....

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
#575037 - 12/04/14 4:35 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: HawaiianTiger]  
Barb Online content
Barb  Online Content

Hi Guys,

Bill, some very good points, and right in with what I was thinking. Naturally, the bikes would be one's owned by Site Members. And it's a great point about inaccuracy in description, performance, etc. and that is easily solved by use of the owner's knowledge!

I very much want this--if we do it at all--to be a communal effort, with all of the assistance and input possible by the most number of people.

So. My suggestion at this point is to develop a spec sheet for each bike, and have the guys begin to gather photographs they think might work for a nice book.

Any volunteers to help with rounding up photographs and information about bikes? That might be our next step.....

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
#589985 - 03/13/15 8:58 am Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Barb]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Any movement on this yet?

#589997 - 03/13/15 10:34 am Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Barb]  
Morgan aka Admin Offline
Ride safe today!
Morgan aka Admin  Offline

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Hi I have said it before
If we were to produce another calendar then it needs to be ready for print production in the spring and not november/december. Stress is a no no factor and if ready during the spring then we could aslo commit vendors to order and receive them in VERY good time.

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
#590012 - 03/13/15 12:47 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
Barb Online content
Barb  Online Content

Hi Morgan and Eueryone,

It seems to me that one problem is that a lot of people are doing calendars. That would be another reason to do it early in the year and be out there before other calendars.

Morgan, if it is OK with you I will get a few prices based on production in the Spring, top quality, and a quantity large enough to make it worth doing.

If nothing else, a few quotes will tell us if it is worth doing, of if we should just put paid to it and move on.

Input? Anyone?

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
#590443 - 03/16/15 3:40 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Barb]  
Tim Lynch Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tim Lynch  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Devon, UK
Barb,
I think a book rather than a calendar of memberís bikes is a great idea. Adding a description or short story of how the bike got to how/where it currently is would put a different spin on the usual run of the mill blurb normally associated with Classic bikes.
I'd be happy to buy a couple of copies.

Last edited by Tim Lynch; 03/16/15 3:42 pm.

1949 BSA M33
1952 JABSA 652 Sprinter
2009 Honda VFR 800
#590517 - 03/17/15 4:39 am Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Barb]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
Quote:
a lot of people are doing calendars

This may sound more harsh than it is meant to, but I prefer to make my own calender of my own bikes,
rather than looking at somebody else's bike.
Different print sites on the WWW offer calender printing services and I order bike calenders for myself
and grandchild calenders for myself and to give to the parents.
Quote:
a book rather than a calendar

perhaps numbered, as a collector's (as Barb suggested) item has my preference.

Adding a description or short story of how the bike got to how/where it currently is (Tims suggestion)
or a description of the location where the picture is taken can make a book more interesting than just a calender.

Last edited by Ger B; 03/17/15 4:43 am.

Ger B

#590735 - 03/18/15 9:32 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Ger B]  
Barb Online content
Barb  Online Content

Hi Guys,

Wel, quotes don't cost anything, so there is really no reason I can't check out both, right? Can't hurt.....

Has anyone thought about BB.C mousepads, and things like that? (Just a thought. They come and go, and if I don't get it down on paper or in the computer, they are gone forever.....)

I'll begin the process of getting bids on a book and a calendar, and let's see what develops, OK?

That all right, Morgan? beerchug

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
#590784 - 03/19/15 8:54 am Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Barb]  
Morgan aka Admin Offline
Ride safe today!
Morgan aka Admin  Offline

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Barb, to take in quotes is fine it does not hurt at all. I'm just explaing that when it comes to calendars as product i find it stressful if all is done after the summer. It needs do be ready for print early and the downside with that it may not be pre-funded.

I'm thinking of making a buff with BritBike logo
http://www.buffwear.com/buff-adult-headwear

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
#591505 - 03/23/15 6:53 pm Re: Calender?Nope. Photographs? Hmmmm, maybe? [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
Barb Online content
Barb  Online Content

Hi Morgan,

I understand and I agree about the stress. I like the Buff things--good idea!

Can't hurt to find out what a calendar or book would cost---quotes are free. (Free is good!!) bigt

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120

Moderated by  Barb 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.104s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 0.9900 MB (Peak: 1.3296 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 02:07:28 UTC