BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
HughdeMann
HughdeMann
Beautiful North Carolina
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
204 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,695 guests, and 531 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 99
Stuart 89
NickL 62
Popular Topics(Views)
436,135 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,263
Posts632,008
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#558734 - 08/17/14 4:07 pm Wives and bikes  
T140V-Rich Offline
BritBike Forum member
T140V-Rich  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Sunny South Carolina, (US)
What do you lads think? Does your wife ride with you on a separate bike?

I'm in the process of getting through the break in miles on my late dad's 1973 T140, which is leaving my faithful 77 T140 in the shed. I'd suggested to my wife that she learn to ride it, but admittingly I don't believe the T140 to be a learner's machine.

But the question is how many of you ride with your lovlier other halves? On a separate bike? Does she ride alongside of you?

And if mine were to express a stronger interest, what bike would you recommend? She had a 250 Honda Rebel, which is actually how we met. She'd been dumped by the little bike and I offered to give her a few pointers, if she wanted. Then she wore a split skirt, which prompted me to take a bit more interest...

Anywho!!! Does your wife ride with you? If so, what does she ride? And if she rides, what is her experience level? My lovely Rose With less than 250 miles qualifies as novice.

Cheers

Richard

Last edited by T140V-Rich; 08/17/14 4:09 pm.

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
Author of "Relics and Reminiscing."
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#558736 - 08/17/14 4:22 pm Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
lightningrob Offline
BritBike Forum member
lightningrob  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK Norfolk (where there be dra...
my wife Jen rides pillion with me she likes riding on the a65lightning and she is a sidecar passenger. she has ridden pillion and travelled in the sidecar many thousends of miles here and abroad. she won 2nd place in the BSAOC passenger trophy last year.

she would like to learn to ride a bike on the road , so far she has been riding the bsa bantam up and down the track and the garden I would worry if she did get her licence, but also be proud

Keep'a'troshin
BSA A10R 1961
BSA B31 1956
BSA D7 1966
BSA D10S 1967
BSA M21 1953
BSA A10 Golden Flash 1954
BMW R80/7 1980
BMW R100RT 1983
#558737 - 08/17/14 4:28 pm Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
In my opinion a Rebel is the perfect starter bike, light, small and able to maintain sensible speeds. A rider safety course is a must for any novice.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
#558739 - 08/17/14 4:33 pm Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
T140V-Rich Offline
BritBike Forum member
T140V-Rich  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Hi Rob! We'd thought about a Cub but Im wondering if it'd be able to keep her happy for long. Would she outgrow it, in other words?

It's grand that your Lovely Jen rides with you, pillion or otherwise. I'd just had a nice bimble this morning and wished to share with my better half. And congrats on her placing at the BSAOC, by the way!

Cheers

Richard

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
#558743 - 08/17/14 5:15 pm Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
Alan_nc Online content
Alan_nc  Online Content

Greensboro, NC
My wife has ridden with me on both Vintage and Modern bikes but her limit is about an hour. Never have tried something like a Gold Wing but it would take a really comfortable rear seat to get her on a longer ride. She has no interest in riding her own bike.

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
#558750 - 08/17/14 5:34 pm Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
T140V-Rich Offline
BritBike Forum member
T140V-Rich  Offline

BritBike Forum member

That's similar to my wife, Alan. She has an interest but is a bit afraid of bikes. She sees mine as monsters, actually, but knows there's some that aren't quite as intimidating. We were looking at some Hondamatics online that she seems to loke the idea of hands-free gear change. It'd just be nice to have a riding mate and who better than the wife? smile

Cheers mate

Richard

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
#558773 - 08/17/14 8:55 pm Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
Jon W. Whitley Online content
Jon W. Whitley  Online Content

Vermont
I think that if she really did have an interest in riding Richard, then you might consider any of the old classic Honda 350 and 360 twins as well as the Yamaha 400 twins and the Kawasaki 400 twins. Maybe even a Honda CB450.

There have been quite a few coming up for sale up my way and they are easy to maintain and not too expensive.....yet, although they have been climbing up there. Better get one now while the gettin' is good !

I imagine they are also near you and may be just a tad cheaper but check out your local craigslist and surrounding areas, etc., if that is something you may be interested in. They are nice and user friendly and make a good amount of power too. Just a thought. beerchug

Something like this:

Or this:

Or this wink

And check this out, sounds pretty sweet to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMnVBacJAAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5tzkDomC4k

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1970 BSA A65F 650 - Project

#558779 - 08/17/14 10:02 pm Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Cynthia is happy as passenger.... No interest in operating a bike. A ninja 250 is a great machine to learn on.
If you don't drop the clutch and rev it right up above 10K RPMs it's slow enough not to be scary. It's light and small, so one can get their feet OK on the ground, and it's not a big heavy slug.

Yet when the noob learns a bit and gains skill and confidence, it won't immediately be outgrown - cuz when you DO drop the clutch on a Ninja 250 and rev it WAY up above 10K, these little bikes absolutely leap!
OR start with a slightly bigger cruiser...

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#558789 - 08/18/14 1:14 am Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ger B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NL
Quote:
Does your wife ride with you on a separate bike?
... how many of you ride with your lovlier other halves?

Lucia does not even sit behind me on the passenger seat.
But she does drive the car, so I can have a drink when we go out together.

Ger B

#558791 - 08/18/14 2:15 am Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
Kent Shaun Online content
BritBike Forum member
Kent Shaun  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Kent Garden of England
Quote:
And if mine were to express a stronger interest

T140V Rich lad, and THERE it is, right THERE if you look hard enough, that wonderful word... IF

So, let's look at the evidence, you say she HAD a bike, then you tell us you met when she FELL off it, now, that there tells me that she, deep down here dude, could be a tad frightened.. shocked

And the last thing she'll be wanting to do, is climb on another bike, with that memory, the Lovely Janette said it was like taking a big dog out, when she tried to learn how to ride, as soon as she twisted the throttle, it was off...

So lad, my 2c says, take her on the back of the bike, EVERY time you can, don't twist that throttle or scare her for a laugh, they don't like that. THEN, once you've done a few thousand miles, approach the subject of her having her own bike...

Then get me a beer for that advice.. grin

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
#558801 - 08/18/14 6:57 am Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
Peter R Online content
BritBike Forum member
Peter R  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Netherlands
My wife Liz rides pillion on the Commando and the Trident, but she gets bored after an hour or so.
She does not have a licence to ride bikes herself, and not really interested to get her bike licence.
A sunday afternoon blast on the pillion is ok for her, but a bike vacation trip is definitely not on her wish list.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
#558806 - 08/18/14 8:11 am Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
T140V-Rich Offline
BritBike Forum member
T140V-Rich  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Shel, missed your post since posted at nearly the same time. Good advice on the course. A friend pf mine is trying to do that very thing at the local tech school.

I'd nearly forgotten the older CB series. And before my dad had his T120s, he had several of those before deciding they really wouldn't pull him up a hill well. Big man, I should add. I thought they were fine, more than fine, in fact perfect. Because as pillion on the 650s, I had a thrilling time simply trying to hold on!

However, on the CBs the tires are still tubed. Just for added safety I'd change the rims to tubeless. I was pillion again, sometime around 1972, CB350. Just had a shop change the tube when about five miles away it let go instantly. On a four laner overpass over a railroad. My dad reached back and threw me off, later saying he didn't want me to be under the bike when it went down. I felt I was fine where I was since no equivalent 50-pound monkey at a zoo could have had a better grip at that precise moment. Last I saw as I rolled off the interstate and down the embankment was my dad and the bike going into a nonrecoverable slide on the bike's left side down the interstate. Another reason I wear a full face today is I'd used my face as a brake pad to stop. Dad's pants were shredded but the asphalt didn't stop at his pants.

Long story short, I'd swap the rims for the Lovely Rose.

Shaun lad, underneath that coon-skin cap of fur is a steely-minded rider man. The Lovely Rose has expressed much interest in pillion riding. Maybe that's the way to go. If she wants to try a bit more, then we'll see about moving her to her own scoot.

Thank you for the ideas, lads! I was certain many of you had already crossed that proverbial bridge.

For Shaun and all of you lot - beerchug

Cheers mates!

Richard

Last edited by T140V-Rich; 08/18/14 8:29 am.

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
#558809 - 08/18/14 8:32 am Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
Dave M Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dave M  Offline
BritBike Forum member

USA
Two observations on riding and the fairer sex:

Riding as a passenger is nothing like piloting the bike, has little of the thrill and is not a good way to re-awaken an interest in motorcycling, IMO.

Not to be sexist, and the girls in the group may castigate me but the spatial awareness needed to ride safely may be lacking among most women. Running for cover now!

A safety course for her at the very least!!! dave

66 TR6R Trophy
67 T120R Bonneville
68 BMW R60/US
69 T100R Daytona

#558837 - 08/18/14 12:15 pm Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Cynthia and I took a trip with Lannis & Fay a few years back- we rode from our home in PA up into Nova Scotia and back around to Quebec. Then home. Our own part was slightly more than 3000 miles. Lannis and Fay had at least 600 or more miles than us, as they rode from their home to ours and back. Of course this trip was ridden on modern motorcycles over a span of two full weeks.

"Like" & "don't like" are purely and completely subjective. Cynthia loves to ride along as pillion, and doesn't mind doing long days... What she doesn't like is only being able to pack so much...
And what wearing a helmet does to her HAIR! laughing

The message:
Everyone is different. No one can say who will like what. And who won't like riding. Take her out more, take her out often. But YES, get her on the bike.

#558839 - 08/18/14 12:19 pm Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
My wife will ride with me occasionally but it's not really her thing. But she has no problem with me going for a ride when ever I feel like it.
The most fun I have is Sunday rides with my son, he's pretty much taken over my Bonnie.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
#558843 - 08/18/14 12:30 pm Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
I can't find it to copy and paste, but someone over at BMWMOA posted a POV from his wife who's ridden many thousands of miles as pillion. Her words were something very much like this:

I am not a passenger. I am the co pilot. I read maps, operate GPS (Velcro'd onto pilot's back!) take pics, choose restaurants via Iphone, set our routes, gas stops and distances. I negotiate hotel rooms. On the road I also generally keep an eye open for deer, errant drivers, or other dangers. I am as involved in the ride as he is.

Edit:
Found the post from these guys. I'll post the whole thing with both of them talking about riding and pillion:

"Mary and I have traveled quite a few thousands of miles together..... happily and cooperatively. Her first trip with me (and for her ever) was 12,000 miles around the U.S. on a /5 in 2001 at the age of 51. (LD 2-Up award at BMWMOA in Redmond, Or.) Some thoughts for him/her behind you:

- Mary's rule: "I am not a passenger or even that other name...pillion. I am co-pilot. I have jobs to do; not just a package on the back. I have my own gps (velcro on pilot's jacket), I operate the cameras, I co-plan the trip (I like maps), I record the route, I am a partner in the packing, unpacking and repacking, I negotiate the motel room conditions, I am another set of eyes (think deer!), I am an 'attitude adjuster' for the pilot, I'm adaptable for changing conditions ie rain, cold, heat, being 'lost', I am always involved in the ride."

- Bob's rule: Since Mary quickly learned the basics regarding riding (note: she does not ride her own machine.... unless a Mustang counts!), riding ability has not been an issue. However, with a communication system we have agreed that when things on the road start getting 'busy' then the talking ends and pilot makes decisions. No discussion. I try and determine when she is feeling a bit too tired for the day (we have a habit of ten hour days but want to shorten it.... haha). I think that it is vital that you like each other.... a lot! We do, so that takes much of the stress out. .... and, at the end of the day, we like beer and recounting the day while planning the next. One more point: if you are camping... warm, dry and comfortable will be the operative points, so pay the $ and ensure that it happens.

Just a few thoughts, although there are more... if I had more time. 2-up is pretty intimate..... and that can be fun. Enjoy!! - Bob"

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/18/14 12:36 pm.

#558845 - 08/18/14 12:47 pm Re: Wives and bikes [Re: Dave M]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted By: Dave M

Not to be sexist, and the girls in the group may castigate me but the spatial awareness needed to ride safely may be lacking among most women. Running for cover now!

Are you sure you spelled that right? An "ig" does look a little like an "r"!

I'll be the last to deny the physical and mental differences between men and women (they "throw" differently, walk differently, etc) but I don't think there's any physical or mental differences that would cause any motivated woman to ride a motorcycle less safely or skillfully than a guy. It's not a matter of physical strength or anything. It's mostly social history that has so many more guys on bikes than girls....

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#558851 - 08/18/14 1:37 pm Re: Wives and bikes [Re: Lannis]  
Janet Offline
BritBike Forum member
Janet  Offline
BritBike Forum member

UK
Originally Posted By: Lannis

laughing

#558924 - 08/18/14 8:04 pm Re: Wives and bikes [Re: Lannis]  
Dave M Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dave M  Offline
BritBike Forum member

USA
Originally Posted By: Lannis

I'll be the last to deny the physical and mental differences between men and women (they "throw" differently, walk differently, etc) but I don't think there's any physical or mental differences that would cause any motivated woman to ride a motorcycle less safely or skillfully than a guy. It's not a matter of physical strength or anything. It's mostly social history that has so many more guys on bikes than girls....

Lannis

Well, the post was not meant to be taken as an absolute and that was clear.
Safety was very much implied and the state sponsored safety course might have a couple of benefits for Richs' wife:
1.Rekindle the flame and determine the degree of interest
2.Learn invaluable safety measures

I don't know where Rich B lives but in Pennsylvania the state motorcycle safety course is free of charge and a motorcycle is provided. A no brainer.

In our class of 30 or so individuals, one half failed the course, most of whom, were women... Hope this helps Rich. dave

66 TR6R Trophy
67 T120R Bonneville
68 BMW R60/US
69 T100R Daytona

#558940 - 08/18/14 11:54 pm Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
My wyfe was riding as a 16-year-old before I ever met her. She found the shop manual for her brother's abandoned Trail 70, pulled the carb and cleaned it, then rode it all over town taking her friends for rides.

When we started dating, it was 2-up, but quickly she got her own designated bike that I kept tidy and tuned. She's ridden maybe 20 or so of the 140 bikes I've owned in the 30 years we've been married, including several right-foot-shifters.

She's never dropped one of "my" bikes, and only dropped "hers" when off-road or in shade-hidden gravel. She does 2-up with kids and grandkids on the bike when we do our traditional New Year's weekend rides, and has done 300+ mile days on her own as well as topping the ton both on pillion and with ME on pillion! (THAT was scary). She can keep up in the twisty bits as long as I keep the speeds reasonable, and is quite comfortable on the 2000 Legend at any speed.

Oh, yes, she's been motorcycle licensed for about 20 years.

Last edited by GrandPaul; 08/18/14 11:58 pm.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#558948 - 08/19/14 4:20 am Re: Wives and bikes [Re: GrandPaul]  
Deadstiffcatt Offline
BritBike Forum member
Deadstiffcatt  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nor. California
She does 2-up with kids and grandkids on the bike when we do our traditional New Year's weekend rides, and has done 300+ mile days on her own as well as topping the ton both on pillion and with ME on pillion! (THAT was scary).

External or internal genitalia don't matter! I know a lady that currently I am so pissed off at I can barely talk to her, but would still rather let her ride my bike (and trust her to do so) than her boyfriend, the poser! It's all about the ability, not the sex.......

#559107 - 08/20/14 5:59 am Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
bodine031  Offline
BritBike Forum member

melbourne florida
My wife rides her own. At age 58 she is still quite active.She is a born and hell raising Florida Cracker!! She grew up riding dirt bikes and still does, best way to learn 2 wheeling. Her current stable is out of control.01 Bonny, 83 Suz.GS 650 rat bobber,05 Kaw Z750 Sport tour,75 T160 custom, 69 BSA rigid chopper & 98 Yam RT180 dirt bike. She is a rare jewel!! I do have a tough time riding as a passenger in her 03 Miata though!!!

#559156 - 08/20/14 1:26 pm Re: Wives and bikes [Re: bodine031]  
wadeschields Online content
BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA
Originally Posted By: bodine031
I do have a tough time riding as a passenger in her 03 Miata though!!!

laughing

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
#559165 - 08/20/14 2:26 pm Re: Wives and bikes [Re: T140V-Rich]  
tbird649 Online content
BritBike Forum member
tbird649  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sunny Sussex, UK
About 9 years ago, my wife, Sue and I attended the Moto Piston Classic Bike Rally in Northern Spain, we went two up on my 1956 Triumph Thunderbird. We had a great couple of weeks away, and on the ferry back to the UK, Sue asked if I thought she would be able to get her own bike, as she had enjoyed the holiday so much. When we got home, I tried to find a tidy Honda CB125 or the like, but in the end a brand new Hongdou 125 (Chinese copy) turned up, for 600. She passed her test on that, aged 40, then went on to a 1975 CB250 G5, did the Spanish rally a couple of times on that, she is now the proud owner of a lovely red Honda CB400/4, which she has, with me on my TBird, ridden all the way down to Spain to the rally.

Last edited by tbird649; 08/20/14 4:21 pm.

#559195 - 08/20/14 6:03 pm Re: Wives and bikes [Re: tbird649]  
Rickman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
CONGRATULATIONS SUE!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.601s Queries: 16 (0.048s) Memory: 1.0116 MB (Peak: 1.3808 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 05:41:30 UTC