BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Triless
Triless
OZ
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
28 registered members (AML), 198 guests, and 65 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
urbanghost, Richard313, Gordo, to.bias, Nomdegom
10383 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 96
Mori55 88
Stuart 77
reverb 75
DavidP 72
Triless 71
Rohan 69
btour 66
Popular Topics(Views)
689,531 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,028
Posts661,829
Members10,383
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Triumph 500 breather upgrades #557495
08/08/14 10:59 pm
08/08/14 10:59 pm
victorville, california
S
Samhain Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Samhain  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

victorville, california
Are there any function upgrades to the breather system on these?

61 tr5c unit. Everything is fresh on the engine compression is about 150lbs each on a cheap tester.

Dumped 2 quarts in 250 miles. I ride it a lot in the high rpms.
Tried running the crankcase vent into the oil tank to keep some oil, but the froth tower can't get rid of the pressure fast enough and is spewing oil from every orifice, a lot messier than before. I had a pcv coming off the crankcase vent prior, but that doesn't add any venting capabilities.

I may tear it down, ditch the timed breather and modify the cases and put in a big pcv; but I'd like to ride it for a few months first, hopefully there's a decent solution.

Engine was only leaking from the tach drive(timing cover) prior to changing the breather.

turned the drain of the oil tank into a vent. silicon bronzed 5/16 brake line to a fitting.

Last edited by Samhain; 08/08/14 11:06 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Triumph 500 breather upgrades [Re: Samhain] #557502
08/09/14 12:38 am
08/09/14 12:38 am
victorville, california
S
Samhain Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Samhain  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

victorville, california
thanks, I'm really not a fan of using engine oil in the primary or sharing dirty clutch oil with the engine. Not too keen of the idea of drilling into the case of an assembled engine, at that point I'd rather just add the breather to the crankcase instead of the primary.

Last edited by Samhain; 08/09/14 12:38 am.
Re: Triumph 500 breather upgrades [Re: Samhain] #557508
08/09/14 3:36 am
08/09/14 3:36 am
New Zealand
Excalibur Online content
BritBike Forum member
Excalibur  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Zealand
Have you checked the scavenge pump? It would explain the oil dump. These timed breathers are ordinarily very reliable and have stood the test of time. Problems of oil coming out are usually traced back to something other than the breather itself.

Re: Triumph 500 breather upgrades [Re: Excalibur] #557513
08/09/14 6:04 am
08/09/14 6:04 am
Bishop, Calif.
D
desco Online content
BritBike Forum member
desco  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
D

Bishop, Calif.
There are thousands of these old turds running around with timed breathers that are just fine. You've got some other problem and it's probably something simple. Good luck.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
Re: Triumph 500 breather upgrades [Re: Samhain] #557524
08/09/14 7:21 am
08/09/14 7:21 am
Pennsylvania, USA
C
cacinni Offline
BritBike Forum member
cacinni  Offline
BritBike Forum member
C

Pennsylvania, USA
On my 67 daytona motor were the round machined surface behind the cylinders were they mounted a distrubitor you can drill a hole and thread or weld a nipple on and run your vent tube with pcv valve, got the idea from triumph race bikes @ roebling rd georgia.

Re: Triumph 500 breather upgrades [Re: Samhain] #557540
08/09/14 11:15 am
08/09/14 11:15 am
victorville, california
S
Samhain Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Samhain  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

victorville, california
I'm running the distributor. Morgo oil pump, roughly 350 miles. Lots of oil going to the rockers, if that would signify the return is working.

Originally Posted By: desco
There are thousands of these old turds running around with timed breathers that are just fine. You've got some other problem and it's probably something simple. Good luck.

there are also countless examples of triumphs with modified breather systems, and guys saying the timed breathers don't hold up. Have some nice headwork and keep the rpms buried every open road I get.

Originally Posted By: NickL
I should have mentioned you do need to run an oil filter.
As for drilling the hole in situ, you just do it carefully and put some grease on the drill bit before you break through, no problem. Most guys racing these used to do this mod.
As for sharing 'Dirty' clutch oil..... where does the dirt come from? Bonded linings last 25-30k these days so how much dirt can come off them? and it's only pulled back through a filter anyway.

I've never tore the primary down and thought it looked remotely clean, I've even opened it up to a loose nut on the mainshaft and enough metal shavings to destroy every engine I've ever owned. Thanks for the input, but sharing through the primary seems like one of the mistakes triumph made on their path to destruction. I like running atf with the clutches, and in the future I may run a dry belt.

Last edited by Samhain; 08/09/14 11:39 am.
Re: Triumph 500 breather upgrades [Re: NickL] #557620
08/09/14 9:36 pm
08/09/14 9:36 pm
OZ
O
Old Cafe Racer Offline
BritBike Forum member
Old Cafe Racer  Offline
BritBike Forum member
O

OZ
If youv'e fitted the morgo rotary pump then you are going to have fun......

And if he fits a dry belt drive then there's even more fun in store as it reduces the crankcase breather void space volume to two thirds of stuff all and then the fun really starts with the breather set up.

davy

Re: Triumph 500 breather upgrades [Re: Old Cafe Racer] #557642
08/10/14 2:42 am
08/10/14 2:42 am
victorville, california
S
Samhain Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Samhain  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

victorville, california
not a rotary, just a standard morgo. how does a belt drive effect the breathing space? it is not a shared primary.

Re: Triumph 500 breather upgrades [Re: Samhain] #557647
08/10/14 4:21 am
08/10/14 4:21 am
OZ
O
Old Cafe Racer Offline
BritBike Forum member
Old Cafe Racer  Offline
BritBike Forum member
O

OZ
No change then.

davy

Re: Triumph 500 breather upgrades [Re: NickL] #557665
08/10/14 9:13 am
08/10/14 9:13 am
Near London, England
T
TT Rider Offline
BritBike Forum member
TT Rider  Offline
BritBike Forum member
T

Near London, England
I should have mentioned you do need to run an oil filter.
As for drilling the hole in situ, you just do it carefully and put some grease on the drill bit before you break through, no problem. Most guys racing these used to do this mod.
As for sharing 'Dirty' clutch oil..... where does the dirt come from? Bonded linings last 25-30k these days so how much dirt can come off them? and it's only pulled back through a filter anyway.

This was what the factory did - but they drilled 3 small holes in the crankcase rather than just one. Large breather screwed into an adaptor fitted to the primary oil filler and routed over the rear mudguard. As Nick says, most people racing these did (and still do) use this mod. The timed breather is not considered very effective - I'm only thinking of retaining mine to keep the bike looking looking original.

Don't the 750s share the 'dirty' primary chaincase oil in a similar manner?

Re: Triumph 500 breather upgrades [Re: Old Cafe Racer] #557703
08/10/14 5:22 pm
08/10/14 5:22 pm
victorville, california
S
Samhain Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Samhain  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

victorville, california
Originally Posted By: Old Cafe Racer
If youv'e fitted the morgo rotary pump then you are going to have fun......

And if he fits a dry belt drive then there's even more fun in store as it reduces the crankcase breather void space volume to two thirds of stuff all and then the fun really starts with the breather set up.

davy

info coming from a guy with a belt drive t100 that fought sumping problems.... smile

Re: Triumph 500 breather upgrades [Re: Samhain] #557779
08/11/14 3:05 am
08/11/14 3:05 am
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
W
Wilfred Offline
BritBike Forum member
Wilfred  Offline
BritBike Forum member
W

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
I've not yet had a problem with my 67 T100 that has the timed breather, standard original oil pump, points and condensers, regular 9 amp battery and all the original bits that some people seem to want to change and improve and it's gone well over 30,000 miles for me, some of them hard. I guess I can't see why everything has to be " improved " as things seem to be fine as they are......even the lights work really well for night riding.......I don't even have an oil filter on the return line. I just change the oil every 1000 miles and use an air cleaner......Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
Re: Triumph 500 breather upgrades [Re: Wilfred] #557782
08/11/14 3:50 am
08/11/14 3:50 am
scotland
triton thrasher Offline
BritBike Forum member
triton thrasher  Offline
BritBike Forum member

scotland
Originally Posted By: Wilfred
I've not yet had a problem with my 67 T100 that has the timed breather, standard original oil pump, points and condensers, regular 9 amp battery and all the original bits that some people seem to want to change and improve and it's gone well over 30,000 miles for me, some of them hard. I guess I can't see why everything has to be " improved " as things seem to be fine as they are......even the lights work really well for night riding.......I don't even have an oil filter on the return line. I just change the oil every 1000 miles and use an air cleaner......Cheers, Wilf

That's the simple way to happy riding.

It doesn't appear to be popular.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Re: Triumph 500 breather upgrades [Re: triton thrasher] #557823
08/11/14 11:29 am
08/11/14 11:29 am
victorville, california
S
Samhain Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Samhain  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

victorville, california
I find as much enjoyment in building as I do riding, if I just wanted something simple to cruise around on I wouldn't have started with a bunch of random 50+ year old parts.

Re: Triumph 500 breather upgrades [Re: Samhain] #557894
08/11/14 6:39 pm
08/11/14 6:39 pm
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
W
Wilfred Offline
BritBike Forum member
Wilfred  Offline
BritBike Forum member
W

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
I too find much enjoyment in building. However, while not being the norm, I do enjoy leaving what was as it was with careful assembly including bits that have been learned over the years and have been fortunate in all those years and miles to only need to fix something once on the road which was a wire that had come off the ignition switch due to it being the shorter of the three and carrying the load of all three.

With points ignition and a failed battery one cold November night, I found that the electric vest I had hooked up for the first time at Gordo's some 80 to 100 miles distant kept my headlight dark when I stopped at a light and had to be disconnected but with the old fashioned system of ignition the bike ran fine which I have heard can be a problem with EI....of course, I should have made sure my battery was ok before but it didn't show itself until the vest was added to the plot.

I must admit that I am stuck somewhere in the past ( hence the love of old British motorcycles ) but as it works for me I'll probably stick with it. This morning, I was out in the country drawing pictures of an old house with a pencil and paper, taking pictures with the Hasselblad film camera, getting around in my very old Volvo and will now head to the darkroom to process and print the film. And all of the above are still working for me. Go figure......

Last edited by Wilfred; 08/11/14 7:53 pm.

"It's about the ride..."
Re: Triumph 500 breather upgrades [Re: Wilfred] #557920
08/11/14 9:55 pm
08/11/14 9:55 pm
victorville, california
S
Samhain Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Samhain  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

victorville, california
as this started out as a tr5c it never had a battery. I run it with a Boyer now without problems. I am generally a fan of points but found the aftermarket ones for 18d2s so far out of spec they never close, and switching over to dual carbs I could no longer fit the 18d2 cap.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership