BTW, your rear stand stops are severely worn and in danger of fracturing the rear frame lug. The rear stand should not be angled more than about 15 degrees forward from vertical. You should not park it on the rear stand until you fix that.
Thanks for the heads up Kevin. Reason for stand issue is that a PO cut the stand stops off which I need to fabricate then weld on!! (see below). I know Henk yes, he has provided very useful information on my 2 M20 projects (other one in pieces).
Yowsa! Yep, you have some work ahead of you. Looking forward to seeing you finish. I've been riding mine around more and more since the recomissioning. I need to get my rear and gear and post more stuff about my rebuild saga in my separate thread on this forum.
Well progress slow, but got to this stage.. Now attempting to get the rear mudguard fitted.. Some issues with this as it came from India, so my fettling irons are at full stretch!! Will have to make a new lower attachment brace as the one currently fitted is too short.
Frank has asked me to do some work on his fuel tank and primary cover. both had a few dents in, infact the tank had more smaller dents in it than I expected and looked like it had when painted.
I covered the tank and primary cover with nitromors (to be honest I think that stuff has less will power than someone trying to stop smoking and surrounded by packets of duty free cig's!)
AFAICT the paint was original, it really took some shifting it had 2 base layers the lowest of an orange/red colour and the second layer was what I would describe as "fire engine red" then coated by the olive drab.
I lightly used the 6" sanding belt on the bench grinder to remove the old paint, then detailed with the sander on my dremel to clean around the tank cap, in the dents and anywhere else.
The base of the tank was in excellent condition and is a good surface to key to, so a sanding by hand ready to be top coated was all that is required there.
I bought some "Metalik" filler (and yes it does hold a magnet! - so might even powder coat?) and set to work (it also sets blooming quick too) and building up bit at a time. One or 2 dents still require some final dressing as they have a slight flat spot, so I will use some "spotter" which is a ready made filler in a tooth paste type tube, and have another go.
Anyway a good few hours work gone into it, so here it is so far.
The only noticable dent which is actually worse than it looks
Filled and sanded (the filler is a similar colour to the bare metal)
A few small impressions filled on the back
It doesn't look much but sometimes the smallest dents are hardest to fill.
The primary cover which I made an attempt at stripping, the Nitromors had failed again and only removed some of the top (last coat of paint, revealing the shiny cellulose or Stove enamaling underneath.
Frank is going to take this one back off me for grit blasting, then I'll have another attempt. For ease, I may Glyptal the inside of the case.
Just an update on progress folks.. I've now got the engine bottom end built and more of the cycle parts powder coated and bolted on.. At present I'm waiting for the barrel to come back from the shop after a re-sleeve to standard plus new valves, guides etc.. Next job is to make a good gearbox from the two I have..