BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Mister B
Mister B
Kansas, America
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
200 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,625 guests, and 584 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 184
koan58 99
Stuart 86
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
439,468 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,296
Posts632,513
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#554662 - 07/24/14 2:41 pm Guys, I have a question  
Barb Offline
Barb  Offline

Western Washington State (USA)
Hi Guys,

Quick question: why is this page here? My own feeling is that, given how much we all get from hanging around the Site, going to events, asking for (and receiving)help, advice and parts, we are all sort of shareholders in the enterprise.

We don't just pop in, look around for a photo of a Brough or whatever, and go away....at least most of us don't.

That, to me, means that we have a stake in the Site, and that it isn't fair for Morgan to completely absorb the cost of "our" Site. Right?

If you said No, it isn't right----how come? Seriously, and without judgment or rancor, I'd like to know.

If you said Yes, or Right, then I would like to talk about what we can do to ensure that "our" Site continues to grow and prosper. Some things about which to think:

Should we market items like we did with the calendars? Pins? decals/stickers, perhaps patches? How about things like Tech days, and/or the printed magazine like the Airhead BMW owners put out?

I'm just throwing things up in the air to see what sticks and what runs down the drain, but it would be really nice to hear from the guys here from the "Olden Days", as well as the brand-spankin' Newbie guys who may have fresh ideas, and everyone in between.

So. Thoughts, anyone? Now is your chance. If you've ever said, "Hey, what if we......(fill in the blank), we are listening!

Thanks, Guys.

Barb (Three MustGetBeers)
"Midnight girl in a sunset town.."

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
Pip the Triumph (I have "Great Expectations!")
Jaelith the '77 XS650/chair
The unnamed '79 XS650 with...potential
Millie the R80 BMW--she's "Thoroughly Modern"
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#554665 - 07/24/14 3:04 pm Re: Guys, I have a question [Re: Barb]  
Jack Adams Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jack Adams  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Noblesville, IN
Barb,One thing I've noticed is that at Rallies,you can't tell who is who by looking.If hats(ball caps) were available that had the BritBike logo AND the users "name",I would certainly order one. I know the "name" on the cap would make each one custom and "expensive",but I don't know how much it would add to the cost. As long as it was reasonable,I would go for it. Jack

#554710 - 07/24/14 7:39 pm Re: Guys, I have a question [Re: Jack Adams]  
JBMorris Offline
BritBike Forum member
JBMorris  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Farmington,Connecticut,USA
Originally Posted By: Jack Adams
Barb,One thing I've noticed is that at Rallies,you can't tell who is who by looking.If hats(ball caps) were available that had the BritBike logo AND the users "name",I would certainly order one. I know the "name" on the cap would make each one custom and "expensive",but I don't know how much it would add to the cost. As long as it was reasonable,I would go for it. Jack

JA- that's a great idea that I would also go for.

Last Brit-Jam here in Connecticut there were a couple of thugs wearing Jockey Journal Tee Shirts shocked

Spellchecker is trying to fix your syntax or something. . .

laughing

1978 Bonneville T140V PX
#555352 - 07/28/14 2:46 pm Re: Guys, I have a question [Re: Barb]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Barb -

I guess as I get older, I prefer just to fund the things I like to do, or the things I believe in, rather than do fund-raising sorts of things.

For example, if someone is doing a "Bake Sale" for the local soccer team, then rather than buy some cupcakes for $2.00 each, I just give them $10 and skip the sugar and cholesterol. Or if someone is doing a "Relay for Life" for cancer research, rather than make some poor sod walk around a track all night to raise money, I MUCH prefer just to write them a check for $100 and ask them to stay home and relax.

Same with the list here. Morgan knows what it takes to run the list, and he's sort of let us know what he needs to cover his costs. You can contribute a set amount each year, or you can donate a "Life Member" amount, or whatever.

I tell the folks at church who are always looking for ways to do "fund raisers" that, if I demand to be fed some spaghetti or fried chicken or handed a T-shirt in return for the money I give, I'm not much of a "cheerful giver".

Britbike shirts and Calendars are nice, and I've got quite a collection, but those are in honor of the list, I hope not necessary to pay for it ... ?

Just an idea, I certainly don't insist upon it for everyone ...

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#555545 - 07/29/14 12:15 pm Re: Guys, I have a question [Re: Lannis]  
Barb Offline
Barb  Offline

Western Washington State (USA)
Lannis,

All good points, and of course financial donations are great! The only thing not addressed by donations is building a feeling of community, although you touched upon it ("...in honor of the list"). In addition there is the latent effect of advertising by guys wandering around wearing, for example, BB.C tee-shirts, tanks, or ball caps, etc. while drooling over delightful examples of British engineering or while riding down the road. (Although hopefully while riding, they would be covered with safer clothing and a helmet!)

If Harley Davidson has taught us nothing else, it has shown us the power of brand name recognition, and I bet we could apply it to the Site. So all I am really asking is that we consider ways to build upon the existing foundation of donations and Site adverts, while involving participants in spreading name recognition. Make sense?

Meanwhile Bella is calling my name, and there is nothing that beats a '69 Bonneville and a warm, sunny Pacific Northwest morning!

Bye, All. See ya later today!

Barb (Three MustGetBeers)
"Midnight girl in a sunset town.."

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
Pip the Triumph (I have "Great Expectations!")
Jaelith the '77 XS650/chair
The unnamed '79 XS650 with...potential
Millie the R80 BMW--she's "Thoroughly Modern"
#555819 - 07/31/14 5:10 am Re: Guys, I have a question [Re: Barb]  
Morgan aka Admin Offline
Ride safe today!
Morgan aka Admin  Offline

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Hi Guys,
I didn't see this until now.
I'm all in favor promoting the site with the BritBike logo on stuff. Would like to see more
T-shirts, baseball caps and stuff that members can use on meetings/events just like being said here.
I made up some stickers for the same reason however when one order small amounts they cost a bit like the larger sticker that was $3.50 ea and with postage from here its $5.50.
It turned out they don't sell that much (maybe price is to high)so I have been giving them away sometimes just to get them out.
For the same reason I don't make any shirts of my own as the production cost are higher here and the postage is very high from Sweden to US so it sort of falls but I am really interested to get t-shirts or Polo shirts made up.
Tried to find a foldable cap that you can put in your pocket when you are riding, found one type in china and ordered a sample. Didn't like the quality to much nylon feeling and minimum quantity was 1000 caps so nothing there but I still want the foldable cap its smashing and with better quality it would be a great piece.
Calendars were great but I had to do lots of work behind the scene and we were allways struggling to brake even and in the later years I had to personally make guarantee to pay the batch if it didn't sell so I eventually said no. Maybe also as I had an health issue at the time.

Some members has upgraded their accounts and pay either $12 / year or as Lannis said some has paid the life membership and I appreciate it all as I use the fonds to pay for the site and software.
Upgraded embers also get more possibilities with their account.

So I'm still in favor of making a batch of shirts or caps or anything else that would promote the site at events. Keep the ideas coming.
Cheers

#555978 - 08/01/14 12:03 am Re: Guys, I have a question [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
bsawood Online content
BritBike Forum member
bsawood  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Hailey,Id.
A Britbike T-shirt is something I would definitely buy.

#556376 - 08/03/14 11:59 am Re: Guys, I have a question [Re: bsawood]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Good question Barb and I'm sorry I'm so late to reply...but I have been thinking it over. blush

First things first.....our broder Morgan has a lot of stuff like this he wants to get rid of.

So first off let's help him get rid of them....he's selling them CHEAP and if you actually stick them where they can be seen....it helps promote the site...right?

I held some T-shirt sales back in the late 90s early 2000s to raise money for the site. Back then I'm pretty sure 100% of all the costs for the site came right out of Morgan's pocket. Bless him for that. We did okay and I "think" everybody was happy with the results.

Fast forward.....I started another sale a few years back. We were working on the designs (member voting) and I had got to the point where I was working with the screen printer on the art. THEN......Tarvin passed away.....I did a quick T-shirt sale to raise some money for his family from us on bb.com. Around the same time Morgan had another vendor print up some of those "dirt tracker" shirts. I didn't want to be stepping on anybodies toes so I just let the sale go.

If you push it......and do a pre-sale so you're not stuck with leftover shirts it's doable. But to just purchase a bunch of cheap shirts and have them printed up...and sit on them while they sell 1 or 2 at a time, wouldn't be worth the effort IMO.

Quality of the shirt is important....I still see some members wearing some of my 1999 shirts.

For now, I hang the bb.com banner every where I can, I have some of Morgan's stickers and will proudly display them where ever I go.....that's about all the energy I have to spare these days.

Take care....enjoy the summer and hope our paths will cross again some day. (OH.....and tell Sonny to COME BACK!!!)

Your friend in NC.....Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 08/03/14 12:03 pm.
#556542 - 08/04/14 4:41 am Re: Guys, I have a question [Re: Gordon Gray]  
Alan_nc Online content
Alan_nc  Online Content

Greensboro, NC
Over the years I have developed Lannis' attitude about giving BUT I do understand that that is not for everyone. The sense of community is something to consider.

stickers do a lot. You put them on something and they are there for a long time. I think people do notice and at times ask questions about what the sticker says. Easy to ship, fairly cheap to have made up and could be sold in lots with a low price but with the comment that this is actually a donation and give whatever you feel you want to give.

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
#556968 - 08/06/14 7:24 am Re: Guys, I have a question [Re: Barb]  
Peter R Online content
BritBike Forum member
Peter R  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Netherlands
Concerning financial donations to this forum, I would like to express some concern about anually recurring payments.
I think that many folks on this forum would like to make a donation, but dislike the idea of annual automatic recurrence of payment.
I had serious problems in the past (with other organisations) to terminate automatic payments.
In my opinion you should attract more sponsored members if you refrain from automatic recurrence of payment.
just my 2c

I know that this has been said before by other forum members, but nobody seems to take notice.

Last edited by Peter R; 08/28/14 2:10 pm.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
#569111 - 10/26/14 8:45 am Re: Guys, I have a question [Re: Barb]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
Over the years, I have contributed some here and there, and a bit more when times were good. I also enjoyed sponsoring the calendar. This is possibly the best forum I'm a member of (and I'm a member of at least 9 or 10 GOOD ones).

This year may wind up being a good one, and I'm hoping Barb's book idea gets off the ground.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#617529 - 09/14/15 8:38 pm Re: Guys, I have a question [Re: Jack Adams]  
RF Whatley Online content
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By Jack Adams
...at Rallies, you can't tell who is who by looking. If hats (ball caps) were available that had the BritBike logo AND the users "name", I would certainly order one.

So for instance, your hat would say "Jack Adams Jack Adams" ??

Just wondering.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes
#617538 - 09/14/15 10:28 pm Re: Guys, I have a question [Re: Barb]  
Zombie Offline
BritBike Forum member
Zombie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Florida PanHandle
On another forum the site owner set up a page similar to Google Docs. Every member had access to edit the page.

In this case it was for sew on embroidered patches.

Once a set minimum order number was reached, the notice to pre-pay (at a discounted price) was issued on that page. The "Due Date" was the last day of the following month to give members time to see the post.

The entire deal went off like clockwork, and I believe the additional 100 patches ordered sold (at a higher price) before the end of that year.

Once members began receiving their patches, and started posting picts. of where they used them, new members were excited enough to ask where to get them.

I for one would be all in on ball caps or "T" shirts or patches.
I hang around a fairly proud Harley bunch, and I would be grateful to show my preference.

One final thought on this... Perhaps there are lifetime members or sponsors in each country that could/would handle the logistics of collecting payments, and distributing product.
I'm sure the supplier could drop ship the items to save on shipping costs, and a one man crew doing all the work aka Mr. Morgan.

#617544 - 09/14/15 10:57 pm Re: Guys, I have a question [Re: Barb]  
Jack Adams Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jack Adams  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Noblesville, IN
No RF, just the name I post by,so just Jack Adams. Funny you would mention this as YOU were the reason I went with my name as opposed to some made up handle. Jack

Moderated by  Barb 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 1.142s Queries: 15 (0.132s) Memory: 0.9057 MB (Peak: 1.1448 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-24 03:54:30 UTC