BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
MusketVtwin
MusketVtwin
columbus ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
208 registered members (Adam M.), 1,831 guests, and 544 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 188
koan58 100
Stuart 88
NickL 65
Popular Topics(Views)
436,968 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,270
Posts632,132
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#553146 - 07/16/14 2:16 am Later type QD rear wheel in a CB32 frame?  
farrandr Offline
BritBike Forum member
farrandr  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Orygon
Trying to find an original 50's B33/B34 rear wheel for the swing arm CB32 frame is pretty impossible. So is it possible / practical to use an A65 / B44 QD wheel in the CB32 swing arm frame?
Main considerations being:

1) rear sprocket alignment to STD gearbox
2) correct rear wheel rim orientation to swingarm fork centre and
3) axle diameter of 17mm.

If possible to use the later QD wheel hub, it would seem that the detachable rear sprocket is something of an advantage?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Farrand

'55 Ariel Sq 4
Framecrafters North-Seeley Hurricane R3
'65 BSA Hornet
BSA Gold Star eBay items

BSA Gold Star forum This board is dedicated to BSA Gold Star motorcycles.

#553150 - 07/16/14 3:11 am Re: Later type QD rear wheel in a CB32 frame? [Re: farrandr]  
Kerry W Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kerry W  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Middle East,
Pity you didn't mention it a couple of weeks ago -just disposed of a wheel, and complete QD brake drum setup.

I have seen the later setup used, with the alloy backplate. The removable sprocket would be an advantage.

Last edited by Kerry W; 07/16/14 3:13 am.

No generalisation is wholly true, not even this one.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
#553154 - 07/16/14 4:11 am Re: Later type QD rear wheel in a CB32 frame? [Re: farrandr]  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
You need to be careful, BSA made lots of small but potentially significant changes to these bits.

http://britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=551491#Post551491

#553201 - 07/16/14 1:42 pm Re: Later type QD rear wheel in a CB32 frame? [Re: farrandr]  
farrandr Offline
BritBike Forum member
farrandr  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Orygon
Thanks much, I purchased a complete A65 QD rear wheel from a salvage operator. It is complete with brake drum , brake plate and shoes, etc and has the 530 sprocket in good shape. Since this project is a custom I'm hoping it will work out well. Thanks again for the advice, that is what makes this forum so invaluable.
Farrand

'55 Ariel Sq 4
Framecrafters North-Seeley Hurricane R3
'65 BSA Hornet
#553230 - 07/16/14 4:21 pm Re: Later type QD rear wheel in a CB32 frame? [Re: farrandr]  
penna-john Offline
BritBike Forum member
penna-john  Offline
BritBike Forum member

duncannon penna
the sub axle that goes thru the brake drum is shorter on the singles--b31 as there should be no spacer between the brake plate and swingarm like the twins have, i just fitted a twin wheel to a bb32r frame, i had to remove the subaxle and grind the flats further and reinstall it with the spacer to the outside of the frame, now my sprockets line up

#553357 - 07/17/14 3:30 pm Re: Later type QD rear wheel in a CB32 frame? [Re: farrandr]  
Gordo in Comox Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gordo in Comox  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Comox BC Canada
If you have the steel brake plate you should be able to make it work with tweaking. If you have the later alloy brake plate it will be more difficult in that most or all of the outside centre extension will need to be milled off to align the sprocket. As for the rim position you should be able to shift as needed.

Gordo

Without frequent roadside repairs there is no fun in riding!
#553378 - 07/17/14 5:02 pm Re: Later type QD rear wheel in a CB32 frame? [Re: farrandr]  
penna-john Offline
BritBike Forum member
penna-john  Offline
BritBike Forum member

duncannon penna
also i used a steel brake plate, see above

#553571 - 07/18/14 5:34 pm Re: Later type QD rear wheel in a CB32 frame? [Re: farrandr]  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
Some years ago I was building up GS racer for a friend with pieces from his 'boxes'. aarrgh. He wanted to use a A65 rear wheel assy He had on hand. All looked OK, but Not! There were many differences from the earlier, ie Goldie parts. BSA had increased in size any dimensions on the A65s. The stub axle diameter was greater, The spline drive was larger, a larger diameter axle was used with larger metric bearings in the hub and drum. Yeah, it could of been used on a Goldie with some machine work. But why bother?
I have no idea what year A65 this wheel assembly was from, but I understand earlier A65 wheels & hubs are different and much the same as a Victor's?

and speaking of Victors ...
Some time ago I adapted a Victor alloy backing plate for use on my Goldie much modified 'Special' with a late GS 'bolt on sprocket' brake drum. As I remember I had the center extension milled down for a total width equal to the thickness of a steel backing plate and the steel spacer. I could than fit a Victor 520 bolt on sprocket to allow using a sealed 520 'X Ring'.

Also ... with a bit of lathe work a Victor rear axle can be used on a Goldie. This gives you a hex head that will fit your tool box plug socket. The increased diameter shoulder area next to the hex head needs to be machined off and it needs shortening about 1/8" by trimming the threaded end.

And you can use a Victor splined hub by removing the speedo drive and fitting a Huber hub cover to fit the smaller diameter threaded hub.

dave - NV

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 1.209s Queries: 15 (0.043s) Memory: 0.8395 MB (Peak: 1.0233 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 04:38:28 UTC