BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
58a10
58a10
texas
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
219 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,643 guests, and 555 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 191
koan58 99
Stuart 86
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
439,034 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,292
Posts632,463
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#431187 - 04/22/12 9:54 pm Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
alpinaclone Offline
BritBike Forum member
alpinaclone  Offline
BritBike Forum member

AR
Any updates?

#432051 - 04/27/12 4:55 pm Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: alpinaclone]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
J. Charles Smith  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
Not much to report yet, Alpinaclone. The following photos might give you and others a laugh, though. I mean, I like the idea of making some parts by hand, but this is ridiculous.

I was making a triple-tree mount for the hydraulic steering damper. (I have a 35mm clamp-on style mount for the forks, but I will be using fork boots below the lower tree, and the tank gets in the way of putting it above the tree.) I decided to make an alloy piece and bolt it up using button-head 8mm stainless Allens. Here it is dummied up. (It's amazing how dusty everything looks in a flash photo!)

If the Allens had stood proud of the mount, they'd have interfered with the damper rod when the forks turn right. So I had to countersink them into the mount – not easy without a mill. I figured I could make a hand-held “mill” by clamping large-diameter 12mm flat washers (the diameter of the Allen heads) around the bolted up Allens.

Then I removed the Allens and adjusted the Dremel cutter so it stuck out of an old bushing to the depth I wanted.

The cutting tool made short work of the aluminum, but, as I planned, made a strange noise whenever it contacted the steel washer.

It actually worked!

Kinda trashed the Dremel cutter, though.
BTW, I will not be using the pictured steering damper since it’s both too large and too heavy for a bike with clip-ons. It's new, has 6-damping settings, a sliding clamp and Hiem-joint end. If anyone in the US wants it, I would take $35 including shipping.

#435396 - 05/17/12 2:17 am Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
Making slow progress, so I figured I would post a couple of photos. Not much to be said about the triple trees. I have been ordering SS hardware from www.totallystainless.com in Gettysburg, PA. Terrific prices and service, though not all the stuff is perfectly finished. Easy enough to fit and polish, though.

#435397 - 05/17/12 2:25 am Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
This is the brake side rearset. The lever is the back half of the right side shift lever from a 1967 Wards Riverside Benelli 250. The brake shaft was made from the shift shaft from the same little POS. I have to file away some of the powdercoating from the peg mount since it is keeping the peg from sitting perfectly flat. This also shows the front mount for the rear fender and a "mudflap" to correct for the too-short fiberglass fender. (Glass From the Past warned me that their Triumph fenders are bobbed.) That's the brake actuating rod peeking out from behind the ascending frame tube.

#435399 - 05/17/12 2:29 am Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
This shows the backside of the left rearset. Rather than using a brake rod with reverse threads at one end, I decided to use a "coupling nut," so everything is standard 8mm. The master cylinder is off a Yamaha MX bike. Because clearance for the chain is very tight, I sectioned the frame behind the brake rod Heim joint.

#435400 - 05/17/12 2:35 am Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
Finally, another shot of the rear fender mount, made from the head of a rubber mallet and a cushy piece from an old mousepad. The mount is wedge-shaped because the front of the fender had a slight twist to it.

#458073 - 10/09/12 9:40 pm Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
I just made a little progress (very little), so I figured it was time to bump the thread. I was concerned about my original alloy steering damper mount, which bolted into two 8mm diameter/8mm deep threaded holes in the bottom of the lower triple clamp (it's a Ceriani motocross triple, so I think the holes are there for a high-mount fender). Those 8mm deep holes just didn't look substantial enough. So I fabricated a new mount that hooks to the bottom of the triple clamp, too, but is reinforced with a 3/16" steel "L" bracket that provides additional support to the 8mm stud that the damper bolts to by connecting it to the 10mm bolt that now clamps the fork tube. The first photo shows the parts while the other two photos show the steering damper bolted up from the front and side.

#458075 - 10/09/12 9:59 pm Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
Bending 1/8" alloy into an under-seat electronics platform/heat sink was a challenge with only a 4" vise! It turned out well, though. It is rubber mounted , which the electronics will be, too, and fits nicely under the GB500 seat hump. I'll drill it for the regulator/rectifier, etc. when I have them in hand.

#547763 - 06/09/14 10:23 pm Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
kevin roberts Online content
BritBike Forum member
kevin roberts  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
jc, the frame work you have pictured is gorgeous, and i have to study what you have done.

But Where Did You Come Up With the Aluminum Tank?

i know unity does them

http://www.unityequipe.co.uk/CatalogueJAN2012.pdf

as well as legendary

http://www.legendary-motorcycles.com/alloygallery.html

it doesn't appear to have dents for your clip ons. how well do they fit? mine are set down 2.5 inches below the bottom of the top triple clamp in order to allow them to sweep back a bit and still clear the front of the stock tank.

Into the distance a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction is holding me fast how
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?
#547784 - 06/10/14 12:36 am Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
old mule Online content
BritBike Forum member
old mule  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Chihuahuan Desert
thank you for the interesting pictures and descriptions.

#547872 - 06/10/14 1:28 pm Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: kevin roberts]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
Hi Kevin. I found my gas tank about 25 years ago at a long-gone shop called English Motors near Hanover, PA. It was used and out of style and I got it for cheap. One of the British guys on this forum (I think) identified it as a Motorway brand tank from the late '60s-early '70s, so it is a period piece. I will post a pic soon of it with the now-upholstered seat. The clip-ons clear easily, but mainly because I fabricated new fork stops that allow for only limited fork lock - like a roadrace bike. Much about this cafe racer is more suited to the track than the street, but what the heck, you know! BTW, it looks to me like Unity says their T140 tanks are NLA - No Longer Available. Legendary also doesn't specify that their tanks will fit over the 3" diameter backbone of a T140. Glass from the Past http://caferacingparts.com/ does list T140 tanks. Airtech's BSA T3 is made for the OIF bikes http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/triumph/triumphbsa.htm and their VTM tank might fit http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/vintage/vintagetanks.htm. All that siad, if I were doing it over again and was as poverty stricken as I am (semi-kidding!), I would go for one of the "breadbox" style tanks than came on the British-market OIF bikes. They have great lines, and different paint jobs and logo treatments make them a really nice cafe alternative imho.

#547874 - 06/10/14 1:31 pm Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: old mule]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
Thanks, Old Mule. I haven't posted anything in a long time, mainly because progress has been so slow. That said, I will try to take a couple of update photos and post them later today.

#547909 - 06/10/14 4:14 pm Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
Took a couple of (cluttered) photos of the seat and tank. The seat mounting was more complicated than I envisioned, and isn't quite done yet (final hardware, etc.). The seat does not rest on the frame rails, but on rubber and foam pads glued to the alloy under-seat plates. I am not yet satisfied with the "crush" of the foam, but I'm working on it. I am pleased with how the modified GB500 seat meets the tank - the widths are the same, and the lines work for me.

It's hard to see in the photos, but I used 5/16" SS ball-lock pins from McMaster-Carr that go thru the cowl and seat, then thru tabs that were welded to the frame. The little SS lanyards are also from MC.

At the front, the aluminum "tongue" goes thru a SS bracket bolted to the seat bottom.

One wag (Triton Thrasher, was that you? wink ) commented that he thought tank straps were supposed to be quick-detach. Neither the seat nor tank are really that quick to R&R, but I can get the seat off and on again in a couple of minutes. The main reason to remove them will be to change oil.

#548120 - 06/12/14 2:37 am Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
Julian Offline
BritBike Forum member
Julian  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Belgium
Looking great!

Keep up the good work and pics. we need inspiration for our projects. :o)

Julian

Royal Enfield Works Trials
BSA Super Rocket Scrambler
BSA Gold Star Scrambler
Triumph Bonneville 1966
Laverda 750SF
Laverda "1000"SF
BSA Rocket 3
Norton Commando 850
Moto Morini 3-1/2 Sport
Moto Guzzi Le Mans 1
Ducati MHR 1980
#548217 - 06/12/14 5:27 pm Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
Hahahaha! Julian, you are THE inspiration for every custom builder on this forum! Seriously, it's you and the others here than keep me going on this project, which I will likely never get a chance to ride. I get the warm fuzzies every time I click on Britbike.com. Thanks, all.

#548603 - 06/15/14 10:38 am Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
Pete Suchawreck Offline
BritBike Forum member
Pete Suchawreck  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Western NY
Great project Charles! Can you show close ups of the front brake ass'y? I may go with a disc at some point too on my Betor front end.
Very nice detail work.

#548895 - 06/17/14 5:43 am Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
Julian Offline
BritBike Forum member
Julian  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Belgium
Thanks for the very kind words Charles, but you under estimate yourself. there are some really great details on your bike and believe me, we all feed off of each other.

Keep it up, I love the lines and love the "old feel" of this build which takes it a cut above the general café projects you so often see. One of the things we always try to do with our car restorations or upgrades is to try to imagine we are "back in the day" and wearing the hat of the original designer / builder. You seem to have nailed that one. Its not easy and you have done the same by the looks of things. Impressive!

Julian

Royal Enfield Works Trials
BSA Super Rocket Scrambler
BSA Gold Star Scrambler
Triumph Bonneville 1966
Laverda 750SF
Laverda "1000"SF
BSA Rocket 3
Norton Commando 850
Moto Morini 3-1/2 Sport
Moto Guzzi Le Mans 1
Ducati MHR 1980
#548949 - 06/17/14 12:34 pm Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: Pete Suchawreck]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
Hi Pete. At the moment, most of the front brake components are at my friend Paul's place in Minnesota. We designed a combination front fork brace (I'm a big believer in fork braces) and caliper mount for the Performance Machine 13" disc and 4-piston caliper, which he is machining. I have a 3D PDF (you can rotate the picture) of the fork and brake mount that would give a good idea of what we're doing. But I can't figure out how to attach it here - Photobucket doesn't seem to support PDF files. Email me at windroad at rcn dot com and I will send it to you as an attachement. An alloy front fender mount bolts to the bottom of the fork brace cross member and then to the top of the fiberglass fender, kind of like an old motocross front fender mount.

#548955 - 06/17/14 1:13 pm Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: Julian]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
Hi Julian. Thank you for your very generous comments. Coming from an artist like you, they're worth framing! There are so many directions that any custom can go. I've built classic cafe racers, but for this bike, I wanted to incorporate modern disc brakes, flat-slide carburetors. etc. I was flat lucky to find the tank (I had gone to English Motors to buy a used Trackmaster frame and spotted it on a shelf), and I had parts like the Magura clip-ons and Cerianis in my ancient stash of stuff. I also just happened to see the seat on a crashed Honda in the salvage yard of a Japanese bike dealer. So I can't really take credit for the general style of the bike. Some people - maybe you, too! - will be weirded out by the rear fender/tail light treatment, the front fender, "can" style mufflers, gray powdecoated shoulderless rims, blue-anodized calipers, electronic instrument, and other non-traditional pieces, but I hope it all falls into place as an integrated whole. Only time will tell, because I sure can't!

#549064 - 06/18/14 1:37 am Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
well, it's gorgeous.

talk about the motor, please.

#549276 - 06/19/14 12:09 pm Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: kevin roberts]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
The motor ... Well, when I bought the bike in 1989 or '90, it was a $125 basketcase with nary one part connected to another. That's still the case with the engine. Seems I have all the important stuff, and nothing was knackered, but I'm sure I'll need all sorts of nuts, bolts and washers. I still have to buy all of the engine and transmission bearings. The crank's been magnafluxed, and I have new rods, seals and gaskets. Performance-wise, it should be a halfway hot engine, but no fire-breather, owing mainly to the low compression (7.5-1?) Gilardoni pistons. However, from what people have told me, the "effective" compression is on the order of 8.5-1 because of the superior sealing and close tolerances of the alloy/Nikasil cylinders and Total Seal 2nd compression rings. This photo was taken before I cleaned up and finished the cylinder with "Satin Light Gray" KG Gun Kote (a shade or two lighter than the frame, no matter how dark it looks in the head photo).
I have a stock T140 intake cam and late T120 exhaust cam, reground tappets, and Alloy-Tech pushrods. Tom Sharp did a terrific multi-angle valve job and port clean 'n match, and installed new Rowe guides, Black Diamond valves, intake seals, new stock springs and Alloy-Tech collars and keepers. The exhaust ports were tapped for push-over spigots.
The rocker boxes and crankcases will also be gray while the side covers will be polished. I have a set of 1-1/2" bare steel Emgo exhaust pipes, but have to fabricate cones and adapters to fit them to the 2" inlet straight-thru, can-style Jardine "mufflers." On the intake side, I have a pair of Mikuni TM32 carburetors. The forward engine mount was tapped for a vent hose that will go to either my BMW reed valve or one of the XS650 valves from Mike's XS. In addition to the MAP dry clutch/belt primary, I also have a MAP alloy pressure plate. I figure that the alloy cylinders and clutch setup will cut a good 15-18 lb. off the engine. smile So big plans and piles of money already spent. I hope to start getting it together this year, but we'll see.

#549532 - 06/21/14 9:41 am Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
Man, this is a great thread.

Keep it coming!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#549576 - 06/21/14 8:15 pm Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
Originally Posted By: J. Charles Smith
. . . The exhaust ports were tapped for push-over spigots.

i'm interested to see that you opted for threading the exhaust ports. are these for one of the older stock spigots?

i used press-in aluminum spigots for many years, and they worked well, until a few days ago, when one cracked in two, leaving a ring in the port and another ring in the exhaust pipe. i purchased replacements from lowbrow:

these are also press-in ( or as lowbrow puts it, "pound in . . .") they're steel and very cleanly machined. i haven't measured them yet to see what sort of interference fit they use.

i like the thread idea better than pounding, but didn't know it was an option until i saw your photograph.

#549645 - 06/22/14 2:04 pm Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: kevin roberts]  
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Westminster, MD, USA
Thanks, Grandpaul smile Hi Kevin. My exhaust ports were tapped by the late Ken Bell of Silver Spring, MD. Ken had a lot of specialty British tools, including taps for some Triumph and Norton exhaust ports. My ports are theoretically tapped for late T120 spigots, but I haven't tried threading them in yet. I never liked the idea of press-in adapters, and welding them in isn't always a clean operation. I don't know that steel ones were available when Ken tapped mine back around 1990. I am sure there are other places that tap exhaust ports, but your new steel adapters look very well made, and are a lot less expensive.

#551005 - 07/02/14 1:27 pm Re: T140 cafe project, cont. [Re: J. Charles Smith]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
we ain't gettin any younger, bud.

what's happening?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.120s Queries: 16 (0.043s) Memory: 1.0025 MB (Peak: 1.3683 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 16:39:40 UTC