BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
dyna92
dyna92
Pennsylvania
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
28 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 180 guests, and 364 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dan1818, Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks
10419 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 87
Rohan 78
reverb 75
Triless 73
Popular Topics(Views)
713,220 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,313
Posts665,105
Members10,419
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T120 Thruxton Info #540986
05/02/14 10:57 pm
05/02/14 10:57 pm
CA
RGS Bob Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
RGS Bob  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

CA
Is anyone, or does anyone know and recommend, an expert or someone familar with T120 Thruxton assembly details? I have some questions on the exhaust camshaft external oil feed, the remote float mounting details and fuel line routing.

(haven't bugged George Hopwood, yet!)

Thanks!

Bob

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: T120 Thruxton Info [Re: RGS Bob] #541173
05/04/14 5:05 am
05/04/14 5:05 am
Rotorua, New Zealand
'59 Bonnie Offline
BritBike Forum member
'59 Bonnie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Rotorua, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: RGS Bob
Is anyone, or does anyone know and recommend, an expert or someone familar with T120 Thruxton assembly details? I have some questions on the exhaust camshaft external oil feed, the remote float mounting details and fuel line routing.

(haven't bugged George Hopwood, yet!)

Thanks!

Bob

Bob what year are you talking about? With the remote mounting details I guess you are taking about '59/60??

Bushy

"We are "motorcyclists" & "historians" our hobby includes the research & preservation of motorcycle history. What we are doing in the research & preservation of iconic bikes is, an important part of its history & value".
Re: T120 Thruxton Info [Re: RGS Bob] #541174
05/04/14 5:46 am
05/04/14 5:46 am
Scotland
kommando Online content
BritBike Forum member
kommando  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland

Re: T120 Thruxton Info [Re: kommando] #541177
05/04/14 6:33 am
05/04/14 6:33 am
Rotorua, New Zealand
'59 Bonnie Offline
BritBike Forum member
'59 Bonnie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Rotorua, New Zealand
What is show in the link is interesting, but 1962 was not the first year of Thruxton bikes. I have checked and there is some hand written notes very difficult to read about the remote float. The last ones were built to a "Silverstone/ Thruxton spec" I will check later must go sleep.......

"We are "motorcyclists" & "historians" our hobby includes the research & preservation of motorcycle history. What we are doing in the research & preservation of iconic bikes is, an important part of its history & value".
Re: T120 Thruxton Info [Re: RGS Bob] #541221
05/04/14 1:43 pm
05/04/14 1:43 pm
Elburn, Ill. USA
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
Irish Swede  Offline
BritBike Forum member
I

Elburn, Ill. USA
As Thruxtons were supposed to be "production" racers, a few notes, as I understand it:

"Clip-on" handlebars were not allowed. Stock headlamp mounts had to be retained,
at least on bikes without fairings. Both Triumph and BSA used stock handlebar mounts and special "dropped" handlebars that bolted into the stock mounts.

Foot controls had to be mounted on existing frame lugs. New mounts welded on to the frame
were not permitted (minor exceptions were sometimes allowed for new exhaust mounts.)
An interesting example is the right-side rider peg for 1960-62 pre-unit Thruxtons, which was a stock peg reconfigured to mount on the frame's sidecar mount lug, below the swing arm. It was further modified to "fold" to allow the kick-start pedal to clear it.

As with the foot pegs, most parts special to Thruxtons were modified from stock items. Everything was required have an official Triumph part number.

Styles of exhaust pipes differed over the years. The photos in the article listed above show the most common one, but other styles included a type routed closer together under the engine and frame, and a type that ran over the top of the timing and primary cases, then dropped down and rearward to mount the mufflers.

George Hopwood has photos of these variations and may be able to supply these pipes to order.

Re: T120 Thruxton Info [Re: Irish Swede] #541231
05/04/14 2:36 pm
05/04/14 2:36 pm
Rotorua, New Zealand
'59 Bonnie Offline
BritBike Forum member
'59 Bonnie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Rotorua, New Zealand
Well I still don't know what year Bob is talking about but there is a fair amount of info on the page above, but it is mostly unit stuff - very little pre unit info. There is a bit on high performance on units here http://triumphbonneville120.co.uk/service-sheets.php

The Thruxton spec's changes included:
Tank - small stock version
Footrest and support plates - stock parts
Silencers
Chains - primary and rear
Wheals front and rear to QD type
Brake lining material up graded
Extra fitting front and rear racing number plate brackets fitted
Exhaust valve replace but in G32 material
Magneto racing pattern with manual control
AMAL carb fitted with light throttle springs
Gearbox fitted with close ration
Forks, speedometers and handle bars
Oil tank rubber mounted

These were only the part topics. The list includes the actual part numbers being replaced.

Remember these were UK dispatched machines.

Re: T120 Thruxton Info [Re: RGS Bob] #541238
05/04/14 3:18 pm
05/04/14 3:18 pm
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
Was this the first Thruxton?

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: T120 Thruxton Info [Re: HawaiianTiger] #541343
05/05/14 4:18 am
05/05/14 4:18 am
Rotorua, New Zealand
'59 Bonnie Offline
BritBike Forum member
'59 Bonnie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Rotorua, New Zealand
Bill, Bob has not replied to the original question so were are just discussing '59 Thruxtons in general. I am not sure out of which book that photos comes. But to answer your question - No a definate NO. That bike was restored, wrong routing of clutch cable although preferred, front number plates carry the registration in the UK for roar legal bikes, possibly the wrong oil tank, wrong seat, for racing the Truxtons would have had the number plates removed or used part number H-1254 Front mudguard assembly 1 off replaces H-1211 1 off
H-1255 Front mudguard blade 1 off replaces H-1212 1 off
etc... will need more clearer photos. What book was that out of? I will look it up.
I do have time period photos of the bikes with the riders etc.

For 1959 there were 13 T120 Thruxtons Built and one T100 built. of the 13 built I have been able trace 3. This is one of them http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/n...-1959-to-2014/
Of these three bikes only 2 are blue. The bike in the link hase been in and out of the UK a few times without anyone knowing it was a Thruxton. The two blue bikes are owner by the same person.

Last edited by '59 Bonnie; 05/05/14 4:19 am.

Re: T120 Thruxton Info [Re: RGS Bob] #541415
05/05/14 1:23 pm
05/05/14 1:23 pm
CA
RGS Bob Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
RGS Bob  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

CA
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies and sorry for not being complete in my question! Iím interested in the early unit Thruxtons. Iím building a replica around a í64 T120 carcass.

Plan to use a matchbox remote float and there seems to be a special bracket that it (or maybe the round type float?) hangs from. None of the reference pics Iíve collected show this very well, since itís kind of tucked-up and out-of-sight. I found this image claiming to be the bracket, but not sure if it was what supplied. Also not sure about the mounting.

Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks!

Bob

Re: T120 Thruxton Info [Re: '59 Bonnie] #541426
05/05/14 3:02 pm
05/05/14 3:02 pm
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
There are two photos of this bike in two separate books.They are meant to be factory photos of an original Bonnie. One book claims that it is.
B.
Originally Posted By: '59 Bonnie
Bill, Bob has not replied to the original question so were are just discussing '59 Thruxtons in general. I am not sure out of which book that photos comes. But to answer your question - No a definate NO. That bike was restored, wrong routing of clutch cable although preferred, front number plates carry the registration in the UK for roar legal bikes, possibly the wrong oil tank, wrong seat, for racing the Truxtons would have had the number plates removed or used part number H-1254 Front mudguard assembly 1 off replaces H-1211 1 off
H-1255 Front mudguard blade 1 off replaces H-1212 1 off
etc... will need more clearer photos. What book was that out of? I will look it up.
I do have time period photos of the bikes with the riders etc.

For 1959 there were 13 T120 Thruxtons Built and one T100 built. of the 13 built I have been able trace 3. This is one of them http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/n...-1959-to-2014/
Of these three bikes only 2 are blue. The bike in the link hase been in and out of the UK a few times without anyone knowing it was a Thruxton. The two blue bikes are owner by the same person.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: T120 Thruxton Info [Re: RGS Bob] #541501
05/06/14 2:35 am
05/06/14 2:35 am
Rotorua, New Zealand
'59 Bonnie Offline
BritBike Forum member
'59 Bonnie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Rotorua, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: RGS Bob
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies and sorry for not being complete in my question! Iím interested in the early unit Thruxtons. Iím building a replica around a í64 T120 carcass.

Plan to use a matchbox remote float and there seems to be a special bracket that it (or maybe the round type float?) hangs from. None of the reference pics Iíve collected show this very well, since itís kind of tucked-up and out-of-sight. I found this image claiming to be the bracket, but not sure if it was what supplied. Also not sure about the mounting.

Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks!

Bob

This is what the 1960 bracket looks like.

Re: T120 Thruxton Info [Re: HawaiianTiger] #541505
05/06/14 2:48 am
05/06/14 2:48 am
Rotorua, New Zealand
'59 Bonnie Offline
BritBike Forum member
'59 Bonnie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Rotorua, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: HawaiianTiger
There are two photos of this bike in two separate books.They are meant to be factory photos of an original Bonnie. One book claims that it is.
B.

There are only 2 original factory photos of the '59 Bonnie and they are both in black and white. The one is the factory line assembly line photo and the other is of a police bike showing the factory fitted radio.

There is also a photos of a mock-up-ed T110 with Bonnie carbs and also as well as the proto type. All of which I have. There are no other factory photos.

You can email me the names of the books.

Bushy

Re: T120 Thruxton Info [Re: RGS Bob] #541526
05/06/14 8:35 am
05/06/14 8:35 am
Elburn, Ill. USA
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
Irish Swede  Offline
BritBike Forum member
I

Elburn, Ill. USA
A side view of that bracket (in the photo supplied by RGS Bob) would be helpful.

The bracket appears to have a downward bend in it, and if it mounts where I think it does, the bend would be necessary for the flexible mount to clear the lower of the two top frame tubes.

Re: T120 Thruxton Info [Re: RGS Bob] #543401
05/15/14 5:47 pm
05/15/14 5:47 pm
CA
RGS Bob Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
RGS Bob  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

CA
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the replies. Sorry been off the forum for a bit.

That's the only photo I have unfortunately. Looks to be an easy fabrication, but not sure if it is what the factory designed for the unit Thruxton bikes.

Thanks again!

Bob

Re: T120 Thruxton Info [Re: RGS Bob] #545205
05/25/14 6:50 pm
05/25/14 6:50 pm
Elburn, Ill. USA
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
Irish Swede  Offline
BritBike Forum member
I

Elburn, Ill. USA
It looks like an easy fabrication, as you say, but it would be helpful to know WHERE, and HOW,
it is mounted.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership