BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
dommie90
dommie90
bac o burk qld
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
21 registered members (79T140E), 181 guests, and 405 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks, 1966g10
10418 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 89
Rohan 81
Triless 78
reverb 76
Popular Topics(Views)
710,145 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,304
Posts665,017
Members10,418
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: zoe] #541590
05/06/14 5:58 pm
05/06/14 5:58 pm
Winona, MN
Swan Offline

BritBike Forum member
Swan  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Winona, MN
There is a modification of the HF front wheel chock found here on Jockey Journal. If you do not have the tools, time and materials then simply buy a new and better vise.

1966 Triton
1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star
1966 Triumph Bonneville
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: zoe] #541597
05/06/14 7:00 pm
05/06/14 7:00 pm
New Jersey USA
Tridentman Offline

BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Offline

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
I agree that the standard vice is a POS. However I also have to say that when used in conjunction with the bikes center stand it is sturdy enough for most jobs on the bike.
And for the price----I can live with it.
HTH

Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: Magnetoman] #541609
05/06/14 8:20 pm
05/06/14 8:20 pm
Cape Carteret, NC
M
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member
M

Cape Carteret, NC
Originally Posted By: Magnetoman
Originally Posted By: Mr Mike
...they build it with 50 cent labor and and put it on rusted out freighters that take a month to cross the oceans ...
There's a lot less to those stereotypes than many people want to believe. Chinese manufacturers have to pay world prices for the fuel that went into smelting the steel and to power the ship that brought it to our port (and for the truck that transported it inland from there).

There isn't a lot of labor in producing a ton of steel, or in stamping it into shape, so even if their workers were paid U.S. wages the total manufacturing cost wouldn't rise all that much. Where they gain significantly is in not having to deal with pesky OSHA and EPA regulations. Of course, lots of their workers are injured or die on the job as a result, and the last time I was in Beijing a year ago the smog was so thick I couldn't see more than a block from my hotel window (not a "haze," but a thick blanket of smog that I could taste and that really did make it impossible to see more than a block). That's a very significant cost savings by not having regulatory agencies. Personally, I very much prefer to have such agencies because I've seen ample evidence around the world of what happens when they don't exist.

MM, I spent a working career in industry. Regulatory agencies did add some cost but not much. I spent years trying to reduce costs by improving efficiency and reducing scrap. Years of improvements cannot compete with foreign labor costs that are a fraction of US costs. Raw materials and energy costs are commodities and market priced. Labor is not. China and others only make things that have already been designed by someone else so their engineering costs approach zero. In the seventies we reduced cost by going to contract labor where we did not pay FICA, workmens comp and benefits. The savings were astronomical and over the years many employees with good wages and benefits were not replaced...their positions were contracted in order to stay competitive.

No more on this topic as it is getting away from lifts. BTW, I have a sketch of my homemade $20 lift. Just send me an email if interested.

Mr Mike

Last edited by Mr Mike; 05/06/14 8:22 pm.
Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: Swan] #541615
05/06/14 8:56 pm
05/06/14 8:56 pm
US
Z
zoe Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
zoe  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Z

US
Great DIY project and very nicely done but way too complicated and completely unnecessary, IMHO.

Bob

Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: zoe] #541662
05/07/14 5:44 am
05/07/14 5:44 am
Netherlands
Peter R Offline

BritBike Forum member
Peter R  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Netherlands
I too, use a welded home made motorcycle lift that gave me good service over the last 20 years.
Today, we can buy lifts of fairly good quality for a reasonalble price, I suspect these come from the same source as those offered by HF.

If I had to make the choice today, I would probably choose for the Chinese made thing, but 20 years ago, the lifts that were offered were very expensive (possibly of better quality too), so a lift was the ultimate luxury for the average bike owner in those days.
For this reason I have the home made lift. I placed some pics of it on this forum in the past.

The lift was one of the best additions to the workshop, those who say that they will never need one are probably decades younger than me, or don't take working on bikes seriously.
Anyone who takes working on his bikes seriously will need one, unless you have massochistic tendencies. smile

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: zoe] #541938
05/07/14 11:24 am
05/07/14 11:24 am
MN,USA
D
Darvin Offline
BritBike Forum member
Darvin  Offline
BritBike Forum member
D

MN,USA
In the 60s and 70s I worked at a bike shop that had work tables that were built like a teter toter.{spelling?} They were built of wood and were about 18" high when horizontal. You tilted the ramp down and pushed the bike up until it overcentered and the ramp would drop to horizontal and the ramp became the work platform. There was a hinged section on the approach end of the ramp that was equal in length to the distance between the horizontal platform and the floor. This would swing down and lock the platform in position. The front of the platform was supported on a wooden framework. They worked quite well as you could do the lower stuff sitting on a stool and stand up for higher work. As I said you were supposed to push the bikes up the ramp but being young fellows we soon discovered it was quicker and easier to ride them up. This was all well and good until one day the inevitable happened and one of the guys overshot the ramp.I can still see that Honda Dream hung up on the frame with the front wheel on the floor. Fortunately no injuries or damage but the boss found out about it and that put an end to riding the bikes up. Later we got pneumatic lifts and I suppose the old ones got thrown in the junk. I kind of wish I had one in my shop and I may have to experiment with building one.

Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: zoe] #541950
05/07/14 12:45 pm
05/07/14 12:45 pm
Santa Barbara, California
KC in S.B. Offline

BritBike Forum member
KC in S.B.  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Santa Barbara, California
Since the thread has gone off to the Weeds anyhow.............
You guys would get a kick out of the Gulfstream 550 HF uses for those trips to check on business.
Obviously, the profit margin is working quite well still !!
Amgen, the Rx company, has 3 of them.......... profits profits, everywhere I look but HOME !

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
Oops,.. add 1 Sporty
Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: zoe] #541969
05/07/14 5:08 pm
05/07/14 5:08 pm
Cape Carteret, NC
M
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member
M

Cape Carteret, NC
Peter,
Exactly my sentiments. When I decided I needed a lift i couldn't find one that was inexpensive 10 years ago, so i built one. I had to use some sticks to get the link arm geometry just right, but once I got that figured, the project was done in an afternoon. I never take it down. Mostly there's a bike on it, but when there isn't it makes a great work bench.

Mr Mike

Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: zoe] #541981
05/07/14 7:45 pm
05/07/14 7:45 pm
Beautiful North Carolina
HughdeMann Offline
BritBike Forum member
HughdeMann  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Beautiful North Carolina
For those who worry about the wheel clamp, I may have an old style triangular clamp from a Handy lift in my shed. It could be yours, for the shipping costs. Or, if you want to drive an hour west of Asheville, I'll be there next Monday. It's fairly heavy, so I'd guess the shipping may be a bit high, while the drive from Asheville can be excellent. (On the Parkway.)

Hugh: Proof the Dodo is not extinct
1964 Bonneville
A couple others
Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: zoe] #542053
05/08/14 7:48 am
05/08/14 7:48 am
Fergus, Ontario, Canada
D
Dave T Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dave T  Offline
BritBike Forum member
D

Fergus, Ontario, Canada
Have any Canadian forum members got one of these from Canadian Tire and if so do you find it useful? It is on sale in this weeks flyer.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/automo...ml#.U2tuXHkU-zk

Dave

Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: Dave T] #542063
05/08/14 9:06 am
05/08/14 9:06 am
Illinois, USA
TR6Ray Offline

BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Dave T,

I have one that is very similar to the one in your ad. Mine was given to me, and I turned it into an engine stand:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like it for this purpose because I can raise/lower it, roll it around easily, and it is very stable. It puts the engine on a good level to access it from a roll-around shop stool:

[Linked Image]

However, my TR6 simply does not lend itself to being lifted with one of those jacks. I have another one that I use for the Harley, since the bike has no centerstand. The lift is fine for cleaning wheels, or even pulling a wheel off to change a tire. If I have anything to do to the bottom of the engine, the jack is right smack dab in the way. Because of this, the HF lift would be much more usable if you have the room for it.

I spent the afternoon yesterday helping a guy work on his bike which, ironically, was up on a HF bike lift. He has an added front wheel chock that works automatically. As you put the bike on the lift, the front wheel rolls over the back of the chock. When the wheel hits the front of the chock, the mechanism pivots up and grabs the wheel. It seemed pretty secure, but he still had a couple tie-down straps for extra precaution.

I will grudgingly concede that it wasn't too bad having the bike in the air, but I still don't plan to buy a lift for myself. whistle

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: zoe] #542070
05/08/14 10:31 am
05/08/14 10:31 am
New Jersey USA
Tridentman Offline

BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Offline

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
Come on, Ray, you know it makes sense!
You are already half way there with your engine stand!
All comments in the spirit of Brit bike humor.

Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: Mr Mike] #542088
05/08/14 12:39 pm
05/08/14 12:39 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S

Scotland
Hi Mike,

Digressing slightly ... wink

put it on rusted out freighters that take a month to cross the oceans

It's possible you don't see them as, from China, they probably run to the US west coast ports but I can assure you that this is so far from the truth and reality ...

"Rusted out freighters that take a month to cross the oceans" haven't been economic for decades; trade from the Far East is carried in truly humungous modern container ships (think $200m cost, 1300' long, 200' wide, carrying over 100,000 tons of cargo) travelling at around 25 mph (so cover around 600 miles/day) and run by less than 20 crew. And no, currently the largest are Danish, not Chinese. wink

Hth.

Regards.

Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: Stuart] #542094
05/08/14 1:37 pm
05/08/14 1:37 pm
US
Z
zoe Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
zoe  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Z

US
I saw on eBay this morning the HF lift for a pretty good price. It's new and it was about $480 including shipping. In my area the same unit including shipping and sales tax is about $600 from HF.

Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: zoe] #542097
05/08/14 2:03 pm
05/08/14 2:03 pm
New Jersey USA
Tridentman Offline

BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Offline

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
Not sure where you are in US, Zoe, but HF have regular sales and distribute coupons giving 20% and 25% off. I saw them advertised in my locality (NJ) a few weeks ago for $299. Use a 20/25% coupon with that and you get a really good buy---IMHO of course.
BTW--for guys in UK the HF lift being referred to is I think sourced from the same Chinese factory as the Sealy/Machine Mart lifts in UK.
HTH

Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: Stuart] #542225
05/09/14 9:59 am
05/09/14 9:59 am
Cape Carteret, NC
M
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member
M

Cape Carteret, NC
Originally Posted By: Stuart
Hi Mike,

Digressing slightly ... wink

put it on rusted out freighters that take a month to cross the oceans

It's possible you don't see them as, from China, they probably run to the US west coast ports but I can assure you that this is so far from the truth and reality ...

"Rusted out freighters that take a month to cross the oceans" haven't been economic for decades; trade from the Far East is carried in truly humungous modern container ships (think $200m cost, 1300' long, 200' wide, carrying over 100,000 tons of cargo) travelling at around 25 mph (so cover around 600 miles/day) and run by less than 20 crew. And no, currently the largest are Danish, not Chinese. wink

Hth.

Regards.

Stuart,
"My comment on rusted out freighters was a "figure of speech", probably inappropriate. I know how the shipping container business works. Sent a lot of scrap to China. My point is this:" Even the additional cost of shipping across the oceans does not offset the huge wage differential (which must include taxes, FICA, workmens comp, etc.) and cannot bring parity between manufacturing in US and abroad. And when China's standard of living starts to rise with an increase in wages, there will be another third world manufacturer that will beat them and be the new low wage manufacturer. That's the price of a global economy. There are things that can be done to change this but that's another topic, well off the nice inexpensive HF lifts we have been discussing.

BTW, I made my front wheel chocks out of 2x4's and with a outrigger, eye bolts and tie downs it is very stable.

Cheers,

Mr Mike

Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: zoe] #544327
05/20/14 7:10 pm
05/20/14 7:10 pm
PDX
spikethebike Offline
BritBike Forum member
spikethebike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

PDX
The Chinese manufacture with factories that became obsolete in Germany due to pollution laws and labor cost, without those advantages another country will have a hard time replacing the Chinese when their labor costs rise.

Spike Cornelius in PDX (Portland, OR)
1965 T100SC
And various others
Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: Mr Mike] #544420
05/21/14 10:26 am
05/21/14 10:26 am
Seattle
Alex Offline

BritBike Forum member
Alex  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Seattle

"My comment on rusted out freighters was a "figure of speech", probably inappropriate. I know how the shipping container business works. Sent a lot of scrap to China. My point is this:" Even the additional cost of shipping across the oceans does not offset the huge wage differential (which must include taxes, FICA, workmens comp, etc.) and cannot bring parity between manufacturing in US and abroad. And when China's standard of living starts to rise with an increase in wages, there will be another third world manufacturer that will beat them and be the new low wage manufacturer. That's the price of a global economy. There are things that can be done to change this but that's another topic, well off the nice inexpensive HF lifts we have been discussing.

You're missing one of the biggest cost factors weighing down manufacturing in the US. While labor costs here have stagnated and in many cases actually decreased, overhead costs are out of control, particularly for large publicly owned corporations. It is not uncommon for labor and materials to be less than 1/4 of making something because you have to pay outrageous executive salaries and stock dividends... It's hard to compete on those terms.

I've got my Harbor freight coupon ready for that bike lift, tho. wink

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: HughdeMann] #544436
05/21/14 11:39 am
05/21/14 11:39 am
Los Angeles, CA
L
L.A.kevin Offline
BritBike Forum member
L.A.kevin  Offline
BritBike Forum member
L

Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By: HughdeMann
For those who worry about the wheel clamp, I may have an old style triangular clamp from a Handy lift in my shed. It could be yours, for the shipping costs. Or, if you want to drive an hour west of Asheville, I'll be there next Monday. It's fairly heavy, so I'd guess the shipping may be a bit high, while the drive from Asheville can be excellent. (On the Parkway.)

Hello,

I'd be interested in that one. I'm looking at perhaps getting a lower quality lift and installing that clamp.

I'll private message you.

Kevin

Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: zoe] #544442
05/21/14 12:20 pm
05/21/14 12:20 pm
Orygone
Boomer Offline

BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
HF also sells several wheel chocks that you can bolt to the lift. One even provides outriggers for tye-down straps. Just goggle HF wheel chocks.

I lifted these pics off their site:

Bill B...

Last edited by Boomer; 05/21/14 12:21 pm.

Boomer
Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: zoe] #544444
05/21/14 12:27 pm
05/21/14 12:27 pm
New Jersey USA
Tridentman Offline

BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Offline

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
Yes--I use several of the HF wheel chocks on my trailer (configured so that I can transport 1,2 or 3 bikes).
I reckon you could easily fit one of those onto one of the HF lifts if you wanted to.
Although IME the wheel chock fitted as standard to the lift is perfectly OK if either you use the bikes center stand as well and/or use straps to tie the bike to the stand. There are strap loops as standard on the HF lift.
HTH

Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: Alex] #544456
05/21/14 2:34 pm
05/21/14 2:34 pm
Pacific northwest
Q
quinten Online confused
BritBike Forum member
quinten  Online Confused
BritBike Forum member
Q

Pacific northwest
Quote:
because you have to pay outrageous executive salaries and stock dividends

The S&P 500s average yield is a tepid 0.3% above the current rate of inflation ,
when you consider the risk ,
this is more a problem of lack of return in the risk/reward equation
And not a drag on profitability

... I use one stand similar to one of of these ... I was able to sneek it into my shop
Without raising alarms that another hobby had gotten out of hand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMhR6bjAiUM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited by quinten; 05/21/14 2:35 pm.
Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: zoe] #544525
05/21/14 8:05 pm
05/21/14 8:05 pm
Medford, Oregon
Gary E Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gary E  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Medford, Oregon
Doesn't take up much space. Nice. How do you remove the bottom sump on an A50/A65 or drain the tranny oil with that style of lift?

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: zoe] #544590
05/22/14 7:31 am
05/22/14 7:31 am
New Jersey USA
Tridentman Offline

BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Offline

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
I managed to sneak one in--but got caught trying to get the second one in------

Re: Motorcycle jack/Harbor frieght? [Re: Gary E] #544668
05/22/14 12:36 pm
05/22/14 12:36 pm
Pacific northwest
Q
quinten Online confused
BritBike Forum member
quinten  Online Confused
BritBike Forum member
Q

Pacific northwest
Quote:
Doesn't take up much space. Nice. How do you remove the bottom sump on an A50/A65 or drain the tranny oil with that style of lift?

On mine , there is a 4x6.5" cutout in the lift platform , it can be easily made larger
If the bikes balance point does not line up with where you need access .
... BUT the first problem to surmount is the high "low" height of 13+"
of this style jack and the clearance below a brit-street bike , 8 to10" ... so a low
ramp-stand must be made just to slide one of these in place...

the one I bought off fleabay ( a no-name brand )
came with 4 nice lockable casters , so once on the lift , the bike can be
easily rolled , in or out of the way...

oh , and make sure the jack can handle the weight .
I was pleasantly suprised at the construction and heavy gauge metal.
Mind looks like it can handle well over it's 350 lb. rating , but you know ,
buyer beware.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership