BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
MusketVtwin
MusketVtwin
columbus ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
209 registered members (Adam M.), 1,831 guests, and 544 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 188
koan58 100
Stuart 88
NickL 65
Popular Topics(Views)
436,968 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,270
Posts632,132
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#542578 - 05/11/14 4:03 pm Re: The cost to wire a bike [Re: tbird649]  
Magnetoman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted By: tbird649
It never ceases to amaze me the things that people cannot do. I have been paid to mend punctures in kids bicycles because Dad cant do it.
I completely agree with this. Lots of people are lacking in "practical" skills. But, wouldn't it be even more amazing if someone whose hobby it was to completely rebuild bicycles always paid to have someone else mend punctures because they didn't know how to despite 40+ years engaged in the bicycle riding and rebuilding hobby?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#542588 - 05/11/14 5:13 pm Re: The cost to wire a bike [Re: Magnetoman]  
robcurrie Online content
BritBike Forum member
robcurrie  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Irene, South Africa
I rallied cars for years and in the early '80s I got some special tyres which had such strong sidewalls that the tyre changing machine couldn't manage to get them on and off the rims. There was a guy at the shop who would do it manually with tyre levers. I watched him and understood the method, but there was no way I would do it myself, no matter how much money I could save! The only equipment I would have needed was 2 tyre levers and a rubber mallet.

Rob C

#542596 - 05/11/14 6:36 pm Re: The cost to wire a bike [Re: Magnetoman]  
NickL Online content
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Aus
There are loads of guys out there who don't want to know about simple jobs.....blimey most modern bike riders book their bikes in to have the bloody oil changed! A lot of blokes won't lace a wheel, decoke a head, re-ring an engine etc etc. Change a tyre, fit a chain, i might break a finger nail!

Things have changed eh? get over it.

When i was racing, no-one i knew paid someone else to do their tuning in the early days, now it's the norm. Even at club level.

Nick

#542631 - 05/11/14 10:12 pm Re: The cost to wire a bike [Re: NickL]  
smokey1962 Offline
BritBike Forum member
smokey1962  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Birmingham - UK
There are loads of guys out there who don't want to know about simple jobs.....blimey most modern bike riders book their bikes in to have the bloody oil changed! A lot of blokes won't lace a wheel, decoke a head, re-ring an engine etc etc. Change a tyre, fit a chain, i might break a finger nail!

Yeah - I know lots of folk like that, and agree with what your saying !! Then I'd get folks knocking on my door wanting to borrow the tools to do a job because they aint got a spanner in the house !!

But you also have to remember that on top of the usual overheads of a business(parts etc.) in England we have a V.A.T. rate of 20% on parts and Labour so of 450 the V.A.T. takes 90, Then the Guy has to pay his Tax and National insurance (approximately 20-25%), Then the cost of fuel overhere (of which a large part is tax/duty & to give you an idea - for me to fill my 4 gallon tank costs me 25 or $42 - By the time you get a bill for a job, going on for half has been taken in tax !! - DON'T WANNA GET POLITICAL, BUT OVERHERE THIS IS FACT !!

1980 T140E/V/TSX (Mongrel)
2004 Harley 883 custom sportster
#542657 - 05/12/14 1:51 am Re: The cost to wire a bike [Re: Magnetoman]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted By: Magnetoman
But, wiring an old British bike requires a lot less than that.

But you're still missing my points:-

. In your original post, you said, "an article about a guy in the UK who comes to your house and completely wires your classic motorcycle ... the cost is L450 (~$760)".

. Apparently because the article was in The Classic Motorcycle magazine, you've developed that into "a guy in the UK who comes to your house and completely wires your classic British pre-c.1965 motorcycle ... the cost is L450 (~$760)".

. I've made several points that haven't been grasped:-

1. "Classic British pre-c.1965 motorcycles" are not Ferret's primary business. In fact, I doubt that they form any part of his business apart from the odd bonus, because of their simplicity that the rest of this thread has banged on about.

For those not familiar with the stratification of British motorcycle magazine readers, The Classic Motorcycle rarely features motorcycles later than the aforementioned c.1965. Otoh, the other magazine I mentioned in an earlier post - Classic Motorcycle Mechanics - is published by the same company but mainly features bikes (mainly Japanese) from the 1970's, 1980's and 1990's.

the wiring diagram in a Kawasaki Z1 manual. It is much more complex

2. I'd go further and point you at 1980's and 1990's bikes, with early EFI, turbos, etc. Even if your "complete wiring harnesses" could be found for these bikes, they're likely to cost well in excess of Ferret's fee. That's where his primary business is and - to labour this point - if the original article had been in CMM rather than TCM, I doubt this thread would exist?

Stuart's plumbing analogy breaks down when applied to wiring a, say, BSA A10.

3. No it doesn't. I'm not "wealthy" but I do place a value on my leisure time - if I had redone the bathrooms, not only would I have taken time away from work, I would also have taken time away from family and hobbies that I enjoy, like old British motorcycles. I do not enjoy plumbing, not even researching and selecting different showers, taps, etc., so I made the decision to pay someone else to do it.

By the same token, whether you can do it but are "wealthy" enough to pay someone else or even thinking about doing it gives you the heebie-jeebies, by focussing on that the article appeared in TCM and "wiring a, say, BSA A10", you're drawing the wrong conclusion. BSA A10's and the like aren't Ferret's primary business; where he operates most of the time, he is considerably cheaper than most (if not all) of the alternatives.

Hth.

Regards,

#542661 - 05/12/14 2:40 am Re: The cost to wire a bike [Re: Stuart]  
Magnetoman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted By: Stuart
But you're still missing my points:-
Hmm. Actually, I don't think I've missed any of your points. But, it's getting silly now, so let's drop it.

#542662 - 05/12/14 2:47 am Re: The cost to wire a bike [Re: Magnetoman]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi,

let's drop it.

bigt

Regards,

#542700 - 05/12/14 10:33 am Re: The cost to wire a bike [Re: Magnetoman]  
aprophet Offline
BritBike Forum member
aprophet  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Chesapeake Virginia
aproxamately how many feet of wire per color would you need to wire the average brit bike 5 feet 10 ?

1964 A65C Rocket (Jeanie)
1971 T25SS
1971 A65T BSA (Lucile)
1965 A65D Lightning Rocket
#542726 - 05/12/14 2:00 pm Re: The cost to wire a bike [Re: aprophet]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted By: aprophet
aproxamately how many feet of wire per color would you need to wire the average brit bike 5 feet 10 ?

In GB, I buy by the metre. I allow 2 metres (say 6 feet?) for anything from headlamp to underseat and 3 metres (10 feet) for anything from headlamp to taillamp. I buy more of White (switched power to individual components) and Red (components to battery +ve).

I use 9/0.3 (9 strands, each 0.3 mm dia.) between junctions and individual components - it's rated for 5.5A so that's usually more than enough. However, some colour combos. aren't available in 9/0.3 so I end up using 14/0.3 (equated to 18AWG in British Wiring's catalogue) for those.

Where a cable is part of more than one circuit (Brown/Blue, Brown/White, White from ignition switch to individual components' cables junction, Red from individual components' cables junctions to battery +ve), I use 28/0.3 'thinwall'.

Hth.

Regards,

#542829 - 05/13/14 12:10 am Re: The cost to wire a bike [Re: smokey1962]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
Originally Posted By: smokey1962
There are loads of guys out there who don't want to know about simple jobs.... A lot of blokes won't lace a wheel.

The shop where I worked in the 90's was two doors down from the Jap dealer. We had a customer with some broken spokes on a dirt bike once. He had already been to the dealership. They sent him to us because none of their, "technicians," knew anything about spoked wheels. laughing
As far as rewiring goes, I'd do a classic Brit bike for a little cash and some beers if you brought an original harness (and didn't ask too many fool questions.) However, Jap wiring is a different matter entirely. They tend to change colors at every multi-pin connector, and I'm STILL wondering what the heck the Yamaha diagrams mean by, "DC Consent." Is that a poor translation for relay? Those folks do love their micro relays.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#542854 - 05/13/14 7:34 am Re: The cost to wire a bike [Re: DavidP]  
tbird649 Online content
BritBike Forum member
tbird649  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sunny Sussex, UK
You think the Japs are bad with wiring colours and diagrams, I put a flatpack Chinese tractor together for somebody once.......

#542863 - 05/13/14 8:58 am Re: The cost to wire a bike [Re: Stuart]  
Adrian1 Offline
BritBike Forum member
Adrian1  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Australia
Originally Posted By: Stuart
Hi,

. You're also forgetting the time - when he isn't on the road - he puts into researching particular old terminals. E.g. I know that old Hondas used 3.6 mm o.d. bullet terminals; you cannot buy them retail in GB (anywhere in the world?); yes, he can buy 'em wholesale 'cos he's going to use them but it isn't just one bullet and socket, it's bullets, 2-way and 3-way sockets. 1000 at a time probably. And again for 3.9 mm bullets.

. And that's the common stuff. It was him that told me that some terminals used on old Jap bikes are only available from Japan ... minimum quantity several thousand at a time. Or, despite lengthy research (which he either has to do free or amortise into his rate), some simply aren't available.

. True, he could bodge something available off-the-shelf; but, if you were paying his rate, would you be happy with bodged terminals?

Regards,

Possible source for your mate seeking old style bullet terminals for Jap bikes smile

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=44641/start=0.html

Last edited by Adrian1; 05/13/14 9:14 am.
#542896 - 05/13/14 1:33 pm Re: The cost to wire a bike [Re: Adrian1]  
kurt fischer Online content
#irideslow
kurt fischer  Online Content
#irideslow

Arlington, Massachusetts, USA
This might help him, too:
http://vintageconnections.com/

Kurt
1968-70-71 Triumph TR6R Bitsa - 1969 Triumph TR6R - 1971 BSA A65L - 1973 Triumph TR5T
2005 Ducati MTS 1000S DS - 2012 Ducati Hyper 796 - 2014 Kawasaki ZX1000
#543017 - 05/14/14 12:52 am Re: The cost to wire a bike [Re: kurt fischer]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted By: kurt fischer

bigt Thanks guys, I'll pass 'em on.

Regards,

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 1.401s Queries: 16 (0.214s) Memory: 0.9117 MB (Peak: 1.1531 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 04:41:13 UTC