BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
dommie90
dommie90
bac o burk qld
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
197 registered members (21inGoldie), 1,641 guests, and 516 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Berni, johnguppy, michael morgan, Xavier, J. Grant
9953 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 180
koan58 95
Stuart 82
Popular Topics(Views)
435,061 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,247
Posts631,778
Members9,953
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#54069 - 05/03/07 2:54 am burman gb gearbox  
propwash Offline
BritBike Forum
propwash  Offline
BritBike Forum

quinlan tx
I'm working on a Burman GB (b-52) gearbox for a project,and I was wondering how to find OEM part numbers for the different brands of bikes without buying several parts catalogs.I have been told that Burman has it's own numbers and some manufacturers use their own numbers. Can anyone enlighten me?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#54070 - 05/07/07 7:29 pm Re: burman gb gearbox  
Naozar R. Garda Offline
BritBike Forum
Naozar R. Garda  Offline
BritBike Forum

Bangalore, India
Propwash, I just 'Googled' "Burman Gearbox" and found several sites which may be of help to you. (I havent had the time to explore these as yet) (I am looking for a Burman GB (B52) kick starter lever for my Matchless G3LS 1955.) Hope you find what you want. Cheers!! Naozar R. Garda

#54071 - 05/08/07 8:33 am Re: burman gb gearbox  
MiG16 Offline
BritBike Forum member
MiG16  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Norway
I have never seen a Burman spares list, but here you have an AJS/Matchless spares list including their gearbox part numbers:

http://217.157.196.176:8181/ajs/Book/Spares_lists/1955_AJS_Spares_List_twins.pdf

Hope this helps.

Michael

#54072 - 05/08/07 2:06 pm Re: burman gb gearbox  
propwash Offline
BritBike Forum
propwash  Offline
BritBike Forum

quinlan tx
Thanks Naozar&Mig 16:It appears to me that these gearbox numbers may be the Burman numbers,since they are different from most AJS numbers.A friend loaned me a Mustang manual(they used the GB for several years) but they used their own numbers.Ariel used these boxes but I don't know about their numbers.Also Naozar: it appears the kick start levers were probably from Burman and fit several bikes the folding one being optional

#54073 - 05/08/07 6:18 pm Re: burman gb gearbox  
Naozar R. Garda Offline
BritBike Forum
Naozar R. Garda  Offline
BritBike Forum

Bangalore, India
Quote:
Originally posted by propwash:
it appears the kick start levers were probably from Burman and fit several bikes
Without knowing more on this I somehow doubt that would be so...i 'feel' that the manufacturer would have its own kick start lever ....otherwise did Burman have different design of kick starter levers for the different marques their gearboxes were used on? From what source did you get this info? I am not doubting or challenging, just trying to learn more. Anyway, thanks for the tip, in which case I will now definitely have a closer look at the sites I suggested to you through Google, and look to Burman as a source rather than AMC. Thanks again, and any more info will be appreciated. Naozar R. Garda.

#54074 - 05/08/07 11:35 pm Re: burman gb gearbox  
propwash Offline
BritBike Forum
propwash  Offline
BritBike Forum

quinlan tx
Naozar:I've been researching these gearboxes for a while,but I'm not an expert by any means.If AMC bought the gbox clutch and other parts it would probably be cheaper to also buy the k/start arm & shift arm at the same time.Did you look at the link that MiG 16 listed?AJS and Matchless were very similar. On the AJS link the Gearbox parts numbers were mostly like X-7-19 while the cycle and engine parts were like 012345,which most AMC parts seem to be,this makes me think that they are Burman parts(gbox&controls).I also spoke to a retired bike mechanic and he said he had seen lots of different shifters but only the 2 different k/starters

#54075 - 05/09/07 8:11 pm Re: burman gb gearbox  
Naozar R. Garda Offline
BritBike Forum
Naozar R. Garda  Offline
BritBike Forum

Bangalore, India
Thanks propwash, good info, and looks like your deductions are correct. Yes I am familiar with the link suggested by MiG16, it has a wealth of info. The milling/knurling on my 1955 G3LS kickstarter has worn out and so I am trying to rebuild/replace it. If you find info suitable for me please do give me a tip-off!!. Cheers!! Naozar.

#54076 - 05/09/07 9:02 pm Re: burman gb gearbox  
propwash Offline
BritBike Forum
propwash  Offline
BritBike Forum

quinlan tx
Naozar: Do you mean the splines where the kick start lever slides onto the shaft at the gearbox or at the top of the lever?I looked at some of the lists on the AJS web site but my connection is so slow I didn't look at many.At least 3 different bikes ,your g3ls, an AJS 16ms,and a AJS twin all use the G-43-2 lever theG-45-1 pin and the 17-3-2 nut.amcclassicspares.com shows a G-43-2 for 25 pounds UK.Maybe you can find a used one .good luck

#54077 - 05/09/07 9:20 pm Re: burman gb gearbox  
propwash Offline
BritBike Forum
propwash  Offline
BritBike Forum

quinlan tx
Nozar:I just found another site.http://www.petersclassicbikeparts.nl/html/burmankickstarter.html It's a complete kick starter,fits most Burmans with 27 mm shafts and is 27 euros,netherlands

#54078 - 05/11/07 6:54 pm Re: burman gb gearbox  
Naozar R. Garda Offline
BritBike Forum
Naozar R. Garda  Offline
BritBike Forum

Bangalore, India
Quote:
Naozar: Do you mean the splines where the kick start lever slides onto the shaft at the gearbox or at the top of the lever?
Hello Propwash, first I really appreciate the interest and help, thankyou. Yes, i do mean the splines where the kick start lever slides onto the shaft at the gearbox. I had earlier seen the spares list and have the spares numbers given by you but on checking with the jampot site i find that unfortunately they do not have this part. Circumstances here have been such that after my earlier postings, i have just had no time to pursue the matter further. Thanks again. Naozar.

#54079 - 05/11/07 6:56 pm Re: burman gb gearbox  
Naozar R. Garda Offline
BritBike Forum
Naozar R. Garda  Offline
BritBike Forum

Bangalore, India
Quote:
Nozar:I just found another site.http://www.petersclassicbikeparts.nl/html/burmankickstarter.html
Thanks again. This will be very useful if i finally have to orderout for a new starter. I am trying to get a good repair job done first, hope it works...else i'll have to order new. Appreciate your help and support. Naozar.

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.889s Queries: 14 (0.004s) Memory: 0.8659 MB (Peak: 1.0608 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-18 19:32:19 UTC