BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Chris Newport
Chris Newport
San Jose, CA USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
202 registered members (2ndchildhood), 1,715 guests, and 680 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Robert Jones, Richard baynham, 666Diogenes, Mick56, Peter somers
9743 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 78
Lannis 68
desco 56
Popular Topics(Views)
360,301 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics64,039
Posts619,014
Members9,743
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Follow BritBike here!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#544338 - 05/20/14 8:39 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
BOB in NW PA Online content
BritBike Forum member
BOB in NW PA  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

NW PA
It's all good! That's what I like about outfits, you make them to suit you, and who's to say you're wrong. I'm running 16/47 gearing with the B60, my Squire sidecar and me being much heavier than your Velorex and yourself. Should haul all your camping gear with no problem, and know you'll really enjoy this new phase in your travels. I know that trikes and CanAms are all the rage nowadays, but they just don't turn my crank. I still like a motorcycle/sidecar combination, and I have two very unique rigs that always draw a crowd. Keep the Faith.

Bob Kent
#544682 - 05/22/14 2:27 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: BOB in NW PA]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Bob,

I'm at the stock 18/47 and that's too high. I'm going to drop a tooth on the countershaft sprocket and see if that's enough.

I also plan on hauling a pretty heavy load from time to time so I've upgraded my chair's axle to 1" and fitted an ugly trailer wheel and tire that I will only use when I have a heavy load.

You're 100% right, "you make them to suit you, and who's to say you're wrong". I love it and this is the year/season I'm going to put some miles on it.

You take care and enjoy the warmer weather....your friend in NC, Gordon

#544754 - 05/22/14 8:28 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NW PA
Gordon - People think you just attach/detach 4 bolts and an electrical plug and you've got yourself a sidecar outfit. I've seen some unsafe and downright scarey units that didn't handle at all. It takes a lot of thinking and work to be satisfied with your rig. I've made over 40 modifications to get my BSA/Squire to my liking. The best of these would include electronic ignition with dual-plug head, longer fold-away kickstarter from a T160, reworked oil system that recirculates all the oil all the time, oil cooler and spin-off oil filter, much larger fuel tank, beefed-up suspension front and rear, spacer under the jug to lower compression with longer pushrods, big-bore kit, etc., etc. It's always a work-in-progress. That's what I like about BritBikes, wrenching on them is half the fun, the other half is riding them. Yours looks to be well on its way to being a safe, stable and good-looking outfit.

Since retirement, we spend the winter in central Florida in our RV, being "snowbirds" escaping the "lake effect" snow coming to NW PA from Lake Erie. My connection to NC comes from living on Bogue Sound near the Cherry Point Marine Base before my Dad shipped out to the Pacific during WWII. Now it's all condos and golf courses and unrecognizable, it was dirt poor and wild back then. Later.

Bob Kent
#544880 - 05/23/14 2:25 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
Mike Muir Online confused
Life member
Mike Muir  Online Confused

Life member

somewhere in the UK
Gord, that looks good and solid, nice work.
Bob, wodja mean "undo/attach 4 bolts and a plug" doesn't make an outfit? Worked for me, summertime, the Yamahas (SR 500, followed by XJ650) were 2 wheels for work, but 20 minutes after getting home on Friday I was 3 wheeled and ready for the weekend, took so long as I had to have a cuppa first!
Winter time, no 2 wheeling, bit too much snow in Southern Ontario.

Attached Files
s Seca January 84 (2).jpg (244 downloads)

Mike, home is where we moor it.
#546354 - 06/01/14 9:36 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: BOB in NW PA]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Hey BOB, I finally finished the mods to the first subframe and changed my gearing while I was at it. I'm going to try your 16/47 and see how it goes. I was one tooth higher than stock before and that was way too high.

I'm really happy with the way the second attempt at the subframe turned out.

Got rid of the "cow catcher" front end I had and the front tube of the subframe tucks neatly in front of the bikes downtube.

This shows the upper front strut location....should work out fine.

Can't wait to give it a try. I just need a couple of afternoons after work this week and I can give it a go.

Take care.....Gordon

#546365 - 06/01/14 10:26 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
D.Bachtel Online content
BritBike Forum member
D.Bachtel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

SLO County, CA
Lookin' good Gordon, glad you made some adjustments to your original design.

The tucked in front creates so much more symmetry.
It should compliment the strength of the bikes front down tube rather than test it.
Are you going to add a plate to the primary side up top? Box it in a bit?

Don in Nipomo

#546612 - 06/03/14 7:20 am Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: D.Bachtel]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: D.Bachtel
<snip> Are you going to add a plate to the primary side up top? Box it in a bit? Don in Nipomo

blush I should have known I couldn't slip that one by you laughing

Yes....there's a plate (it's paint was still curing) but it's a loose plate. (w/tight holes). I'm no metal man and it was hard enough to get all these holes to line up as it is so I left that plate loose to help with bolting the subframe up.

Got everything nipped up except the drive chain. I'll work with that tonight. I'm hoping I can take a link out but won't know until I get the bike off the stand and the rear wheel off the ground.

The new subframe allows me to go back to the stock header pipe and right side footrest placement...I'm liking that smile

You know I had NO CLUE what a subframe was when I started this so I'm still at the bottom of the learning curve. blush

I'm excited about my first camping trip.....BIBR is such a nice event getting to do it out of the rig is a win/win.

Take care......Gordon (aka Opie)

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 06/03/14 7:24 am.
#546630 - 06/03/14 9:10 am Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
Looks nice and professional Gordon........you're giving me ideas......

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
#546634 - 06/03/14 9:38 am Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: MikeG]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Mike, hearing that from you means a lot. smile I work with wood and concrete....so I'm not much with metal.

I'll be honest....at this point I can't see me without a rig. I'm still VERY new to it but the more I ride/work with it, the more I'm enjoying it. You've been around me enough to know that I like to have my "stuff" with me and there just can't be a better way to haul all that around.

IF......and that's a BIG IF...things work out....I'll be on the rig this fall in PA. I'm hoping to have the other B44VR ready by then (waiting on the machined parts) but if not I think I can squeeze one more trip out of this poor bike. smile

I'm already planning my OSMR trip.....it's the highlight of my year. bigt

Take care my yankee friend and give MS L a hug from me......Gordon

#546777 - 06/03/14 11:16 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NW PA
Gordon - It's hard to tell from the picture, but is your kickstart arm going to clear the rear lower strut? I had to rework mine about 6 times before I got it right. Of course, I didn't use a subframe. I agree with your remarks re a unit-single BSA outfit, and yours is shaping up quite nicely. Let me know what gearing you finally end up using. Keep up the good work!

Bob Kent
#546780 - 06/03/14 11:32 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: BOB in NW PA]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Well Bob....I'm at 16/47 but need an odd number of chain links and I'm coming up empty trying to find a half link that will work.....so right now I'm a bit depressed. frown I just finished a lot of work on the bike...and there it sits.

The kickstarter was a pain from the start (pun intended). I didn't move the location of the lower rear strut when I re-did the subframe....but to mak it clear I had to do just the opposite of what you did...I had to go to a shorter (C15) kicker to clear the strut. It works fine I just have to remember it's back there and to keep my foot forward on the kicker so my heel doesn't catch the strut.

Don....here the loose plate in place.

With all the talk about bike lifts lately I sure wish I had room for one....but I have to do with what I have...2 bolts for the ramp...two bolts each for the legs (6 total) and it all comes apart and stows away and out of the way.

Didn't cost a dime...all salvaged from work sites...Don might recognize the late 70's cable tray. smile

Guess I'll work on the B50 tomorrow.....damnit.

Depressed in NC.......Opie

#546786 - 06/03/14 11:52 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
D.Bachtel Online content
BritBike Forum member
D.Bachtel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

SLO County, CA
Cable tray, yeah that's what I need!

Gunna do some sneaking around above the T-Bar tomorrow.
There's always those end of run sections, installed but not used.

Thanks for the tip! bigt

Don in Nipomo

#548679 - 06/15/14 8:59 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
WOW.....what a difference the 16/47 gearing makes....well, that and a much needed de-coke and a new subframe that spreads the struts out more. I rode the rig all weekend, not sure how many miles I put on it but I had to refuel at least once.

The new subframe works a treat and I'm getting better at handling the corners. I'm finally at a point where I can maintain the speed limit on most of the roads around here.

The lower gearing made parking lot work a LOT easier. Now I don't have to point it in the direction I want to go....I can actually turn if need be. I swear the bike was pulling the hills so much better than before....not sure how much the lower gearing has to do with that but combine that with the "perky" feel the engine has after the decoke and it was fun this weekend.

This poor bike wasn't ever meant to be my tug....it's just worked out that way and it's put me on the road while I wait to get my parts back from the machine shop to put the actual tug together.

Hope you all had the BEST weekend ever... bigt...Opie

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 06/15/14 9:03 pm.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership