BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
lucky23
lucky23
Portland, OR USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
188 registered members (Adam M.), 1,814 guests, and 616 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dave Knight, VANS71, melramius, Bob Newton, Klaus
9853 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 116
Lannis 116
NickL 84
Popular Topics(Views)
394,514 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics64,653
Posts625,496
Members9,853
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Follow BritBike here!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#540007 - 04/26/14 7:59 pm 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS!  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Yep, had the B50 out last weekend so it was the B44R Outfit's turn this weekend and what better way to get some seat time in than to pre ride the TSMR's loop.

I'm VERY happy to report that overall the road conditions have never been better. The worst section's on Hwy 221 getting off of Grandfather Mountain.(going down) But it's doable and at the first part of the ride so it should be fine. (the boys tend to play a little more as the ride gets further along) I did see a couple of nasty pot holes on the Parkway....if they don't fix them by ride time...(and I don't get caught) I'll paint the heck out of them Friday when I set out the ride signs.

I had to run by Woodlands and put our order in for our Saturday night "Dinner on the Grounds"

They are STILL working on Hwy 321....glad we don't have to deal much with that...the town is a mess because of it.

Woodlands has good BBQ.....but this is my favorite thing they offer. Tastes better than it looks laughing

It was beautiful up there today....you could see for miles.

To be continued......

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 04/26/14 8:57 pm.
#540008 - 04/26/14 8:14 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
With everything starting to bloom.....the area was sort of crowded for this time of year. It's been a rough winter and I guess everybody wanted to get a little fresh air.

The ride starts at the Julian Price Park's picnic area. The B44 is sitting in the spot where we usually hold our riders meeting.

I've lived here almost 30 years and I've never seen the park this full this time of year....most of the time when we're there we have it to ourselves.

The ride is called the Three State because we travel through three states during the ride....we start in North Carolina then ride into Tennessee.

Then into Virginia. Hard to tell but that is the state line sign to the right of my right hand grip.

Heck...I couldn't get a good photo of the sign so I got one of the creek that the road follows.

To be continued.....

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 04/27/14 8:06 am.
#540011 - 04/26/14 8:30 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Then we ride back into North Carolina and end up back at the Blowing Rock Inn.

The last leg of the loop is along the Blue Ridge Parkway, some people love it, some hate it. I took this one for JimNC. You gota remember that during the TSMR when your on the Parkway....you should ALWAYS be headed SOUTH!!!!! laughing

I really got a workout today, 260+ miles and if you've been on this ride...you know not much of it is straight. I'm making progress with the outfit. Learning to use the rear brake for left handers and front brake only with a little throttle roll on for right handers. I'll have to admit....on the "Goat Path" there were times I could have walked faster than I was going around some of those curves. Steep downhill, hairpin (and buddy the Goat Path has hair pins) turns to the right were a bit scary...but I'm getting better.

OH....the bike still gets around 55mpg with the chair attached.

But the mountains sap the energy out of the poor bike...it's in need of a refresh and I hope I get the new engine in the other B44R and that bike ready before I try taking it to the OSMR this year.

Hope your Saturday went as well as mine. There's still plenty of room at the Inn and if you get a chance....please join us for the 2014 TSMR.

We'll leave a light on for you......Gordon in NC

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 04/26/14 8:53 pm.
#540012 - 04/26/14 8:31 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
Howard Inough Offline
BritBike Forum member
Howard Inough  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kensington, New Hampshire, USA
AWESOME!!!! I've been sooooo looking forward to this years TSMR! Been a long winter. Howzat one lunger pull the hack?

#540013 - 04/26/14 8:41 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: Howard Inough]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Bob....up hill is a strain. This bike has done a LOT of miles and is due for a refresh. I have another B44R that I have been working on for the chair's tug. Ed V is working on some of the engine bits and it should handle the chair a little better but I figure it's never going to handle the mountains easily....it's just too small and I'm just too big. frown

But it did fine for me....for now.

It's those LONG STEEP uphills that were a problem but I never got any lower than 3rd gear to pull them. The bike can handle them fine without the chair.

I have another B50 in the shop....been kinda thinking about what it would take to use that as a tug.

It will be GREAT to see you fellows again.....take care, your friend in NC Gordon

#540014 - 04/26/14 9:20 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
Howard Inough Offline
BritBike Forum member
Howard Inough  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kensington, New Hampshire, USA
Cool, flying chair rides!!

#540023 - 04/26/14 11:56 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Really sets the stage for the ride ... is it really only 3-1/2 weeks away? Man, time flies ....

Thanks for the mini-travelogue!

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#540045 - 04/27/14 6:44 am Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
GaCracker Offline
BritBike Forum member
GaCracker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Johns Creek,Ga
Wonderful photos, Gordon. The outfit looks right at home in that scenery. Really makes me wish I could make it again, but I've just spent $600 on parts and machine work on the TR6, and don't have any paid time off accrued yet. I hope you will still be able to make BIBR so we can catch up. Take care and ya'll have a great time at Blowing Rock. Greg

72 TR6RV
2004 Thruxton
#540052 - 04/27/14 7:43 am Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
Adrian1 Offline
BritBike Forum member
Adrian1  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Australia
Great ride! Thanks for sharing. I take it the chair was vacant?

#540054 - 04/27/14 8:15 am Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: Adrian1]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Lannis, yes that old saying about time flying the older you get sure holds true for me these days. The ride is just around the corner. (pun intended)

My cracker friend...we'll miss you guys BUT I swear I'm going to do everything I can to make the BIBR this year....it's been way too long since I've sat around the campfire with you guys.

Adrian, yes the chair was vacant. I'm still learning and it's probably better that way. I plan on using the chair for hauling camping gear. My better half doesn't ride. Not sure if that's a good thing or not but I live with it. smile

Winter is FINALLY gone here and I'm happy for it.

Take care and have a SAFE and wonderful weekend....Gordon

#540059 - 04/27/14 8:50 am Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
Adrian1 Offline
BritBike Forum member
Adrian1  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Australia
When you get the hang of that one you can upgrade to the two seater! grin

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Swallow-Side-...e2c2&_uhb=1

Last edited by Adrian1; 04/27/14 8:52 am.
#540064 - 04/27/14 9:39 am Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: Adrian1]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: Adrian1
When you get the hang of that one you can upgrade to the two seater! grin

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Swallow-Side-...e2c2&_uhb=1

WOW.....that thing is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! smile

Gordon

#540116 - 04/27/14 4:36 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
D.Bachtel Offline
BritBike Forum member
D.Bachtel  Offline
BritBike Forum member

SLO County, CA
I'm proud of you old man, I'd say you're a confirmed sidecarist!
You've done a great job on your first rigging, no telling what the second will be like.
I can see a B50 as your next tug, the 580 would be excellent choice with all the extra throttle!
I'm think along the lines of a desert enduro type platform chair.

Don in Nipomo

#541604 - 05/06/14 7:56 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
That rig looks like it belongs on the B44. I think it is perfect. What combo of sprockets does it take to haul it.

Mr Mike

#541605 - 05/06/14 8:12 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: Mr Mike]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Mr Mike, the bike isn't the one I planned on using for the sidecar's tug....but I'm waiting on machine work on that bike's engine.

So....right now it's the stock VR 18/47 which is a bit high IMO. Gota slip the clutch more than I like to get started and if I'm moving around slowly (like a parking lot)

BUT....right now I have the sidecar unattached and I'm redoing the subframe. I had NO CLUE what I was doing the first time around and I want to make some changes. I had to make myself take the car off frown I was having so much fun with it I figured if I didn't do something now....it wouldn't happen this year.

See ya soon....your friend in another part of NC....GG

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/06/14 8:14 pm.
#541924 - 05/07/14 10:04 am Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Gordon,
NICE!

clap
really wonderful post & pix.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 05/07/14 10:04 am.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#541987 - 05/07/14 8:08 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cape Carteret, NC
Gordon,
I too would think 18/47 would be too tall. That's what I have on my ss/vs Hybrid You probably have some Victor spockets laying around. 17/49 would likely help you on those hills and in taking off.

Mr Mike

#543102 - 05/14/14 2:34 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
Mike Muir Offline
Life member
Mike Muir  Offline

Life member

somewhere in the UK
Gordon, well done on getting that chair on. It looks good, and if you have riding twisties with it you have it mounted just about right.
Jealous as heck!
Good luck with the big event.

Mike, home is where we moor it.
#543113 - 05/14/14 2:59 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: Mike Muir]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Mike, good to hear from you and I hope you're doing well??? Really miss the narrow boat photos frown and stories, but I figure you've been busy.

The chair is an absolute hoot to drive. I have to admit that at first I was scared to death of it....everything felt/worked so much differently that what I was used to. But as time went by and I started to get the hang of it...I can't see myself without it now.

It's down right now, I'm redoing the subframe and upgrading the axle. While I'm at it I'm doing a decoke and replacing the points seal on the bike. Figure if I don't do it now it won't happen this year. blush

You take care and PLEASE keep in touch. smile you're one of the good guys in my book bigt

Gordon

#543116 - 05/14/14 3:22 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
Mike Muir Offline
Life member
Mike Muir  Offline

Life member

somewhere in the UK
Well, thank you, good sir. Really, really regret never getting to Blowing Rock to meet you guys. Not quite true, we did get to Blowing Rock in '95, by car, and we indulged in another of my passions and visited the Tweetie RR. I have a confirmed case of terminal ferro-equinoe-sis!
Got to get organised with posting pics from last year, before we start moving around THIS year, it was a trying winter.

Mike, home is where we moor it.
#543366 - 05/15/14 3:19 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
JiminNC Offline
Life member
JiminNC  Offline
Life member

NC
Mr. Gordon... looks like you had a grand ride... and how cool to do it with an outrigger attached bigt

I have to admit that I only recognize a few of those places...like the spot along the river just into VA where I stopped with a certain Royal Enfield in need of a haul out... but I swear I don't recall seeing much of what your photos show. You sure you rode the same route we did last year?? In particular I swear I did not see that BR Parkway N-> S<- sign in the fog and mist last year. blush Did you get the park service to install that this year on my behalf? laughing

This said - my lovely wife has me covered this year. I have a spare cell phone battery, promised to take maps with me (did that to avoid having a subcutaneous tracking chip implanted for the weekend), and I have reviewed the route.... more than once. grin

Out here in Raleigh area... it is chucking it down with rain right now. Been doing so the past 2+ hours, and not clearing out until early Friday AM.

Weather Underground shows Blowing Rock to be mostly cloudy on Saturday with a 25% chance of precipitation between 3PM & 6PM but otherwise dry. Temp will be just about 50F at ride start time but dry, warming up to just shy of 60F at the end, then a bit below 40 for the low over night. So... means will be cooler and maybe a bit moist at altitude.

Going to be a big time... thanks again - in advance for being such a great host. Look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Jim

'67 WD-B40
'71 A65L
'71 TR25T
#543385 - 05/15/14 5:03 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: JiminNC]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Raining here too Jim frown I hope it clears off before Saturday morning...I can deal with a little wet putting out the ride signs. smile

I probably told you but the reason I felt I knew where you took the wrong turn....is because I've done it too. blush

I might have over reacted contacting the police....but I couldn't leave a friend (for that matter a foe either) out there on that road in those conditions.

We'll take what we can get and deal with it Saturday. It'll be good to see you again. smile

I get to thinking the world is full of assholes...then I get to hang around you guys and gals and it all becomes clear again...good times with wonderful folks. It's priceless in my book.

See ya tomorrow....your friend in another part of NC....Gordon

#543466 - 05/15/14 10:52 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
JiminNC Offline
Life member
JiminNC  Offline
Life member

NC
No worries at all re: calling out the man last year....I just hate I caused you stress.

And I echo your sentiment re: the good people our "affliction" attracts. smile

See you soon.

J

'67 WD-B40
'71 A65L
'71 TR25T
#543683 - 05/17/14 12:22 am Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: John Blue]  
BOB in NW PA Online content
BritBike Forum member
BOB in NW PA  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

NW PA
Gordon - Glad to see that you finally got your BSA unit-single rig finished and on the road. Very nice indeed! Hope you have as much fun with it as I've had with mine over the past 20 years.

Bob Kent
#544332 - 05/20/14 7:19 pm Re: 2014 TSMR PRE RIDE on THREE WHEELS! [Re: BOB in NW PA]  
John Blue Offline
Life Member
John Blue  Offline
Life Member

North Carolina
Bob,

Thank you for the kind words. At this point I'm really enjoying it. If I'm lucky enough I'm going to get to do some camping out of it next month. smile

I redid my subframe....didn't have a clue when I made it but figured out pretty quick it needed some changes.

I started with this

Then I cut some stuff off of it

and ended up with this

This afternoon I hung it and the chair's rear rack up in the cracker spray booth and gave them a shot of black.

Bike's going through a decoke and a points seal replacement...and I'll be ready for the campground next month.

You take care and I hope one day our paths will cross, your friend Gordon in NC (aka Opie)

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/20/14 7:21 pm.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.185s Queries: 16 (0.039s) Memory: 0.9998 MB (Peak: 1.3602 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-09-22 08:12:49 UTC