BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
DeejayP999
DeejayP999
London, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
202 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,707 guests, and 529 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 185
koan58 98
Stuart 87
NickL 59
Popular Topics(Views)
435,973 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,261
Posts631,968
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#536136 - 04/02/14 5:46 am Timing side bearing  
68triton Offline
BritBike Forum member
68triton  Offline
BritBike Forum member

London Uk
Hi, Any opinions on the picture?

The picture shows the inner race on the timing side of the crank. The surface has given way to about 2/5 of the circumference of the race, rollers ok, but cage did fall apart on splitting the cases. No signs of heat. Main bearings and the rest ok.

Set-up:

Pearson crank
GP50 oil
Good oil pump
2k miles
10 thou end float
SKF bearing (Pearson fitted)

My friend has had the same issue with the same spec?

Many thanks

Mikes.

Mike.

BSA Gold Star eBay items

BSA Gold Star forum This board is dedicated to BSA Gold Star motorcycles.

#536139 - 04/02/14 6:39 am Re: Timing side bearing [Re: 68triton]  
Per B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Per B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Oslo Norway
Maybe there has been a bad series of bearings, I had the same problem after say 3500 km on my Pearson engine. This bearing will make a hell of a rumbling, I heard the rumbling early and stopped way before the bearing was tottaly damaged. I just replace the bearing and had no problems after that, about 10000km has passed since I replace the bearing, My engine is from 2003.

best regards

Per
Goldi Clubmans
Goldi Scrambler
Rob North R3
OIF A65
#536143 - 04/02/14 7:35 am Re: Timing side bearing [Re: 68triton]  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
A bad batch of steel with high inclusion levels will give you a bad batch of bearings, very hard to detect except by destructive testing. The steel makers have a test at full blast furnace quantities but if a single slab (normally 5t per slab) has a concentration then it will pass through unseen. The inclusion will sit just below the surface giving a weakened area, when the ball/rollers start to run over the inclusion breaks out and the destruction begins. All steel has these inclusions but for bearing steel the levels are supposed to be kept low, this effects both low friction bearing (ball and roller) and shell bearings (where it causes breakouts on the edge and also on the back giving bad blues.

#536146 - 04/02/14 7:49 am Re: Timing side bearing [Re: 68triton]  
Ron - in California R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Ron - in California R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

California
Rare, but have seen timing side bearings fail, do not know why. I had one fail on my BB Goldie with a lot of miles on it. The only thing I can think of, besides a "weak" bearing is the loads on it. BSA in it's infinite wisdom used a small bearing on the timing side and a much larger bearing, plus the ball bearing on the drive side. Many think BSA thought most of the load is on the drive side, but we know that is not 100% correct at all. And due to the close proximity of the cam spindles, can put in a larger bearing. Some race engines use a needle bearing on that side that have much wider and more needles than the rollers. But unless someone does proper testing, all is just a guess. BUT, the failure does not repeat, once a new bearing is installed.

Oh yes the only other known cause of timing side bearing failure is when the drive side crank nut comes loose and the crank bangs against the lip on the outer race. What does the outer race look like..?

Ron

#536283 - 04/03/14 1:09 am Re: Timing side bearing [Re: 68triton]  
Ron - in California R.I.P. Offline
In Remembrance
Ron - in California R.I.P.  Offline
In Remembrance

California
Not sure if a tight chain will cause that bearing failure or not.. but the slop in the adjustment of the primary is pretty bad. I went and carefully opened up the transmission holes to 1/2" and did the same to the adjuster and the lower mounting plates. The original set up is very sloppy.. Oh yes be sure to check the transmission main shaft bushing clearance as well.. those get worn out if the primary is too tight.
Ron

#536490 - 04/04/14 4:31 am Re: Timing side bearing [Re: 68triton]  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
You need to look at your front brake, the brake lever needs moving round anti clockwise on the cam spindle so that the angle with the cable is less than 90 degrees with the brake on, look at the shoes first as they may be worn. This is an MOT failure point so if one was done recently get a new MOT tester, you pays good money and they should not miss such basic failures.

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.575s Queries: 15 (0.066s) Memory: 0.8215 MB (Peak: 0.9782 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-19 21:52:37 UTC