BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Soup Dragon
Soup Dragon
South Cotswolds, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
203 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,763 guests, and 538 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 99
Stuart 88
NickL 63
Popular Topics(Views)
436,437 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,263
Posts632,026
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#523888 - 01/20/14 1:18 pm Title a bike with no old title or bill of sale?  
gcuz Offline
BritBike Forum member
gcuz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Sylvan Lake, MI
This subject has been beaten to death, but I have a twist, and would appreciate any thoughts or insights you gents have.

Last fall I bought a badly aged '68 T100C from a fella who was sadly in the latter stages of illness.

My Dad went and picked up the bike and paid the man. The seller had no title for the bike, and my Dad didn't think to ask for a bill of sale.

We've followed up with the seller, but I fear he's too ill to return calls or welcome visitors, and in fact it's possible he has since passed. I don't want to bother him at this point.

So…where would you begin if you were to endeavor to acquire a new title for such a machine?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#523893 - 01/20/14 1:33 pm Re: Title a bike with no old title or bill of sale? [Re: gcuz]  
Steve Erickson Online content
Steve Erickson  Online Content

The Northwoods... Michigan
You really need to ask this of someone familiar with Michigan DMV procedures, as they differ widely between states.

In California there is a DMV procedure for this "lost owner" thing. They look up the last owner's information, name and address, from their files. Then you fill out a statement of facts form and send it Registered Mail (with proof) to that address. If there is no response in 90 days, you can then proceed with registering and titling the vehicle. Michigan may have a similar process...?

Some folks may tell you just to write up your own Bill of Sale and start with that.

#523903 - 01/20/14 1:51 pm Re: Title a bike with no old title or bill of sale? [Re: Steve Erickson]  
Gordon Gray Online sad
Life Member
Gordon Gray  Online Sad
Life Member

North Carolina
Before he passed away my friend Craig Holder (who lived in Mich)would title bikes I had around here that needed one.

I would write my own bill of sale....include the vin and he would take it to his DMV and get a title in his name. Then he would sign it over to me and send it back. Unless he was fooling me he said it was as easy as walking in the door.

Here in NC when I applied for a new title in my name (using Craigs title signed over to me)the bike would be checked out by the NCDOT's theft divison and the numbers recorded (meant a visit from two officers w/cameras) it never failed to work.

Things could be different now....Craigs been gone a while now.

In NC we used to be able to use one of the title services....but not any more.

If it was me...I'd write my own bill of sale and include any frame/engine numbers and give it a try...worst case is they say no.

YRMV....opie

#523907 - 01/20/14 2:14 pm Re: Title a bike with no old title or bill of sale? [Re: gcuz]  
HawaiianTiger Online content
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
I used Motorecyclemow for my last title. I ride now with a Vermont license plate.
You can contact them here. http://www.motorecyclenow.com/
I found the most difficult part was finding someone to fill out the Vin verification form. Finally I found that a state vehicle
safety inspector here was good enough. Then I became one...
Do a vin search first. Make damn sure you don't have a stolen bike. In some major metropolitan areas, most bikes sold new were stolen at some point. It's staggering actually...
A nationwide search is done through NCIS and many local motor vehicle departments will do it also.
I've never done a nationwide search simply because of the geography situation since I've lived here.
The situation here regarding registering and titling old motorcycles is a nightmare. Worst of all, they will try very hard to get all the back registration fees from you and that could total thousands in some cases.
Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
#523947 - 01/20/14 4:47 pm Re: Title a bike with no old title or bill of sale? [Re: HawaiianTiger]  
Dave M Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dave M  Offline
BritBike Forum member

USA
I used a company called "Broadway Title". The cost was $150.00. HTH

66 TR6R Trophy
67 T120R Bonneville
68 BMW R60/US
69 T100R Daytona

#523982 - 01/20/14 9:09 pm Re: Title a bike with no old title or bill of sale? [Re: gcuz]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
Does Broadway Title provide you with an actual title or just official looking bill of sale and such.
I was told by our title department that they no longer accept the paper work from title services.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
#524032 - 01/21/14 8:43 am Re: Title a bike with no old title or bill of sale? [Re: gcuz]  
BSAonAnyDay Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSAonAnyDay  Offline
BritBike Forum member

SCarolina
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655441

You can register a bike (i think 15 years or older) in the state of vermont without a title. You do NOT need to be a resident of vermont and they will send you a transferable registration. I did this last year. No worries.

They don't flatter you; they educate you.
1939 BSA M20
1948 BSA C10
1953 BSA C11
1970 BSA A65T
1973 Triumph TR7RV
#524034 - 01/21/14 9:07 am Re: Title a bike with no old title or bill of sale? [Re: BSAonAnyDay]  
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Running from demons in WNY
One of the only good things about NY is no titles on vehicles 1972 or older.
By signing a simple form, showing proof of insurance and a pencil tracing of a serial number, you can get plates and ownership. I have done this several times.
This works if the vehicle has been off the records for 7 years and if you appear sober at the DMV.

650 Triumph modified production LSR record holder 133.1 MPH... Twin 650 engine Triumph LSR that goes sorta fast...
#524046 - 01/21/14 10:39 am Re: Title a bike with no old title or bill of sale? [Re: Hillbilly bike]  
proverbs11one Offline
BritBike Forum member
proverbs11one  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kansas City, MO USA
I can tell you what not to do. DO NOT USE INTERNATIONAL TITLE SERVICE in Las Vegas. They will take your money and you will never get your title nor will they return your original notarized bill of sale documents. This was once a well run business. However, the original owner either sold it or transferred it to his son. Now it is a complete fraud. I got great service about 7 years ago. Then en attempted to use them again about 4 years ago. Second time they cashed my check and never replied. They have a web site. It looks to be a very legitimate business. But their mailing address is only a box in one of those rented mailing service store fronts. The following from the Las Vegas Better Business Bureau:

BBB has received a volume and pattern of complaints from consumers, concerning payment for vehicle title services that are not rendered.

BBB continues to receive complaints from consumers that recently did business with the company, however, the company fails to address these issues with the BBB.
- See more at: http://www.bbb.org/southern-nevada/busin...h.xcLNZKak.dpuf

Don Lozano
1974 COMMANDO
1973 COMMANDO
1972 COMMANDO
1970 T120R
1970 TR6C
1967 T120R
1965 A65T
1977 R100/7
#524099 - 01/21/14 6:07 pm Re: Title a bike with no old title or bill of sale? [Re: Dave M]  
oldcrow Offline
BritBike Forum member
oldcrow  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Wilmington, Delaware USA
Dave-- how long ago was that? Did you use a tags-and-title company, or did you go to Harrisburg? You wound up with a regular PA title (not "salvage" or "reconstructed"? Thanks very much.

#524102 - 01/21/14 6:16 pm Re: Title a bike with no old title or bill of sale? [Re: oldcrow]  
raf940 Offline
BritBike Forum member
raf940  Offline
BritBike Forum member

gastonia nc
when i tried to get a title for the A65 from Intercourse Title Service it had so many mistakes on it that the NC Hiway Patrol inspector said it wasn;t worth 'the paper it's written on' so $200 down the drain...had to go with bonded title...if there's a stricter DMV in USA than NC i dont know of it.

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1972 BSA Thunderbolt
1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando project
#524106 - 01/21/14 7:31 pm Re: Title a bike with no old title or bill of sale? [Re: gcuz]  
Tridentman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
New Jersey--every time you think you have it sussed they change the rules--but don't tell anyone!
DAMHIK!

#524108 - 01/21/14 7:45 pm Re: Title a bike with no old title or bill of sale? [Re: oldcrow]  
Dave M Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dave M  Offline
BritBike Forum member

USA
Originally Posted By: oldcrow
Dave-- how long ago was that? Did you use a tags-and-title company, or did you go to Harrisburg? You wound up with a regular PA title (not "salvage" or "reconstructed"? Thanks very much.

Was in 2004 and did go to HBG. Sorry, I cannot recall the details, yes a regular Pa title. I have an extra application, if it would help I will dig that out.
http://www.broadwaytitle.com/

66 TR6R Trophy
67 T120R Bonneville
68 BMW R60/US
69 T100R Daytona

#524232 - 01/22/14 6:12 pm Re: Title a bike with no old title or bill of sale? [Re: gcuz]  
gcuz Offline
BritBike Forum member
gcuz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Sylvan Lake, MI
Well thanks fellas for all the fantastic input and direction - really very much appreciated.

Where I'm netting out on this is I'm likely to pull a bill of sale together and march into the DMV and apply for a title.

I'm really running into a snag, though, trying to have the VIN run to determine whether the bike was ever reported stolen. The sheriff won't do it, police won't do it, and the DMV won't do anything other than suggesting a file for a title history - and they can't confirm whether that will indicate a stolen bike.

So…I may go down the route of Vermont. And as a last resort, a title company. Keep the thoughts & suggestions coming!

#524238 - 01/22/14 6:37 pm Re: Title a bike with no old title or bill of sale? [Re: gcuz]  
Tridentman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
Even the very difficult states such as New Jersey have to have a procedure for titling a bike that is bought from out of state from a state that did not title old bikes prior to particular dates (such as 1985--varies by state).
So if you identify that procedure for your state and have a cooperative relative out of state in a state that did not title old bikes you can between you come up with documentation that will enable you to title in your state.
So far this year (2014) I have titled 9 bikes using this procedure--some for me and some for friends in NJ.
If you want to know more then please feel free to PM me.
Warning--it bends the truth just a little but in my view if the state is an awkward b*****d then you are justified in being a devious bugger.
HTH

#524298 - 01/23/14 8:20 am Re: Title a bike with no old title or bill of sale? [Re: gcuz]  
wildbill Online content
BritBike Forum member
wildbill  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Merry Point VA
A few years ago I bought what was advertised on Craigslist as a 1967 Triumph 650 engine and other parts. When I arrived to pick up the stuff, I was surprised to see a frame in the pile of parts. At home I discovered I had matching 1969 T120R frame and motor. With my extra pieces at home I could come up with most of a 1969 T120R. The gentleman who the parts came from gave me a bill of sale and a letter about his acquisition of the bike and why he couldn't get title. Meanwhile I had a county sheriff run the numbers and they were clean.

My first submission to the VA motor vehicles folks got kicked back for more information and that VA could not title without a previous title. After thinking about this for six months I took another run at it with more pictures and copies of serial numbers from books, etc. About a month later I received a call from a vehicle inspector wished to inspect the bike but I would have to pay $125 for the inspection, as he had to drive out from the state office. His first comment was that the bike was not on the stolen number list. I informed him I had already had numbers checked by the county and the process would not have gone this far had it been. He laughed and looked at the frame and engine numbers very closely and for anther $50 processing fee, I received a VA title for a 1969 T120R the next day. He told me much of my issue was getting the application through clerks who did not know if I was building a custom bike from pieces/parts that would require a new title and inspection to current safety requirements, turn signals, etc.

It seems like much of the difficulty is getting to higher level personnel who deal who deal with much more complex titling issues than the folks at the DMV window and recognizing the process may take a bit of time. When we lived in Montana I titled a 1928 Ford that was a shelterbelt relict. That took over a year but it was doable. I recognize each state is different and I had always purchased vehicles with the caveat - no title is parts and a title is a vehicle.

#524500 - 01/24/14 12:51 pm Re: Title a bike with no old title or bill of sale? [Re: gcuz]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
In Texas, you can easily go through a title hearing with a county tax assessor/collector (you need receipts and/or bill of sale for serial numbered items - frame & engine, plus a few informational forums with narrative of your particular situation). You get a NEW, CLEAN title, for just a few dollars more than the title services charge for out-of-state registration which many states no longer accept, ESPECIALLY NC AND PA (two of the WORST).

One other possible helping bit of info: take your model & serial number info to your local major national bank branch office and enquire as to obtaining a loan for the purchase; they can/will do a national DMV stolen vehicle database search and print the results for you. Just learned about that one a week or so ago!

(nice to know)

Last edited by GrandPaul; 01/24/14 12:53 pm.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.125s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 0.9253 MB (Peak: 1.1913 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 13:38:39 UTC